News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

celluloid

Because the vast majority of zoo animals are neither endangered nor rescued; they are bred for human entertainment. I myself do not enjoy seeing animals in captivity (even if their enclosures are large and well themed) and wish Disney had never got involved in the zoo industry to begin with (and yes, Animal Kingdom is a zoo!). However, I realise I'm in the minority, and I am not looking to convert others here to my way of thinking.
Just to point some things out.
I would also presume you would have the same issues with EPCOT long before Animal Kingdom came into the picture.

And I would research who is AZA accredited. The Vast Majority argument is odd because it has no bearing on places the help that it has had from not those that are rescued and cannot be released, but what has been learned and understood to help animals in the wild.

Disney was involved with conservation of the sort long before Animal Kingdom.

I am happy they have played a part, as well as a huge network of others that have helped the world where my kids grow up in a world where there will still be Manatees and Tigers in the wild and help people have the inspirational connection to take action.

Comparing AZA accredited zoos to anyplace that has animals on display and calls themselves a zoo is akin to saying that all theme parks are carnivals when trying to explain Disney to some people. It becomes a fallacy to compare all as equal.

That is fine that you feel it is ultimately wrong to be in a world where that is what we do, I don't want to discount that.
I just wanted to get the facts out there of what is working.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Because the vast majority of zoo animals are neither endangered nor rescued; they are bred for human entertainment. I myself do not enjoy seeing animals in captivity (even if their enclosures are large and well themed) and wish Disney had never got involved in the zoo industry to begin with (and yes, Animal Kingdom is a zoo!). However, I realise I'm in the minority, and I am not looking to convert others here to my way of thinking.
Hey PETA they also keep species alive in the force of human activities. If you left the planet along with 6 billion of your friends they might get back to a stable eco system in about 300 years. Many would never come back.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I would also presume you would have the same issues with EPCOT long before Animal Kingdom came into the picture.

And I would research who is AZA accredited. The Vast Majority argument is odd because it has no bearing on places the help that it has had from not those that are rescued and cannot be released, but what has been learned and understood to help animals in the wild.

Disney was involved with conservation of the sort long before Animal Kingdom.

I am happy they have played a part, as well as a huge network of others that have helped the world where my kids grow up in a world where there will still be Manatees and Tigers in the wild and help people have the inspirational connection to take action.

Comparing AZA accredited zoos to anyplace that has animals on display and calls themselves a zoo is akin to saying that all theme parks are carnivals when trying to explain Disney to some people. It becomes a fallacy to compare all as equal.

That is fine that you feel it is ultimately wrong to be in a world where that is what we do, I don't want to discount that.
I just wanted to get the facts out there of what is working.

Hey PETA they also keep species alive in the force of human activities. If you left the planet along with 6 billion of your friends they might get back to a stable eco system in about 300 years. Many would never come back.
I find Secrets of the Zoo on Disney+ pretty interesting. Behind the scenes at the Columbus zoo. They talk about their breeding programs to repopulate species frequently.

LittleBuford

Yes. The story of the EPCOT dolphins is heartbreaking and quite revealing of how quickly attitudes can change. This matter-of-fact account from the time (not intended as a hit piece when it was written) reads very differently today:

Comparing AZA accredited zoos to anyplace that has animals on display and calls themselves a zoo is akin to saying that all theme parks are carnivals when trying to explain Disney to some people.
I didn't do that, though. On the contrary, I said I don't enjoy seeing animals in captivity even if their enclosures are large and well themed. Yes, some zoos are better than others, and Animal Kingdom is a very fine example of the genre, but they are still zoos.

LittleBuford

I'm not sure why the "Hey PETA" (presumably intended as an insult) was necessary, but for what it's worth, I have nothing to do with that organisation and have reached my views after looking at a variety of sources, avoiding as much as possible those with an obvious agenda. You don't share my opinion, and that's fine. As I said, I'm not looking to convert anyone.

celluloid

I'm not sure why the "Hey PETA" (presumably intended as an insult) was necessary, but for what it's worth, I have nothing to do with that organisation and have reached my views after looking at a variety of sources, avoiding as much as possible those with an obvious agenda. You don't share my opinion, and that's fine. As I said, I'm not looking to convert anyone.

When presented with evidence of what good Accredited zoos do, ones that actually perform rescues and or conservation efforts and education, you still discount them as ultimately being zoos, as if that is inherently a bad thing other than your feeling. You are entitled to the feeling, and are not converting but it seems odd to not like something that is doing something good with the situation. You are just stating you don't like it because you don't like it. So people will naturally probe why? Just pointing out why you have people wondering if you are with the extremist group such as PETA(I never said you were)

For your thoughts because I care, what would the better situation be to inspire and help people care for animals? Books and distant learning have never worked. The rescue teams that work at the major names in Zoological studies do so much and have thousands of years of combined veterinary care.

I once saw an ulcer surgery performed on a Moray Eel!

If anything, wouldn't the Zootopia idea and Joe Rhode's opinion on it matter even more then? That is more human emotion in animals going into a place and going against the mission. Humans are not animals. You can love and care for them and recognize that they could possibly live in harmony. Its an odd humanities theme that sure is a rough place in Animal Kingdom.

britain

Theres more

View attachment 666305
View attachment 666306

Moana isn't about conservation sure, but I think human relationships with animals and nature as a whole is a pretty prevalent theme in both the movie and DAK. The Te Fiti myth and Tala's connection with manta rays are indicative of that.

Moana doesn’t fit, but can be a beautiful addition. Chester & Hester’s “fits” but offends the soul.

LittleBuford

When presented with evidence of what good Accredited zoos do, ones that actually perform rescues and or conservation efforts and education, you still discount them as ultimately being zoos, as if that is inherently a bad thing other than your feeling. You are entitled to the feeling, and are not converting but it seems odd to not like something that is doing something good with the situation. You are just stating you don't like it because you don't like it. So people will naturally probe why? Just pointing out why you have people wondering if you are with the extremist group such as PETA(I never said you were)

For your thoughts because I care, what would the better situation be to inspire and help people care for animals? Books and distant learning have never worked. The rescue teams that work at the major names in Zoological studies do so much and have thousands of years of combined veterinary care.

If anything, would not the Zootopia idea and Joe Rhode's opinion on it matter even more then? That is more human emotion in animals going into a place and going against the mission. Humans are not animals. You can love and care for them and recognize that they could possibly live in harmony. Its an odd humanities theme that sure is a rough place in Animal Kingdom.
I don't enjoy discussing the topic because it always seems to lead to misunderstandings and accusations, no matter how carefully I tread. You're the second person to mention PETA, as if it's somehow impossible to reach a calm and mature view that doesn't align with your own. Even my use of the word "zoo" seems to be an issue, despite the fact that the organisation you're praising calls itself the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. All I can say is that my views are based on careful thought and reading, not on blind emotion or the influence of extremists. One doesn't have to be a militant to think the way I do, and the fact that I am not the one trying to change anyone else's mind here is evidence of that.

kong1802

If anything, wouldn't the Zootopia idea and Joe Rhode's opinion on it matter even more then? That is more human emotion in animals going into a place and going against the mission. Humans are not animals. You can love and care for them and recognize that they could possibly live in harmony. Its an odd humanities theme that sure is a rough place in Animal Kingdom.

I don't see a problem with someone stating they don't like viewing animals in captivity.

SirLink

I don’t expect the ride to focus on the metropolis as much as surrounding biomes. The area guests walk through to get there will be populated, not unlike Dinoland, Harambe, and Anandapur. If it is a police car ride around the city, I agree it is entirely out of place.

C'mon you, me, Josh, Chris and Bob all know if Zootopia comes to Dinoland it will be 100% a copy of Shangahi version including LPS ride system they are using out there.

britain

C'mon you, me, Josh, Chris and Bob all know if Zootopia comes to Dinoland it will be 100% a copy of Shangahi version including LPS ride system they are using out there.

It will probably be the Shanghai plot, sets, and figures grafted on top of Dinosaur. So it will be EMV instead of LPS, but super similar.

It “sort of” fits DAK, like how a ride through the Spanish Main in the 1700’s fits inside a 1900’s New Orleans Square. There’s a tenuous link: Pirate History. In Zootopia’s case the tenuous link to DAK is “Zoo animals”. There’s NOTHING else connecting it to the mission or vibe or flavor of the park. But there is that link, and they are gonna run with it.

Last edited:

SirLink

It will probably be the Shanghai plot, sets, and figures grafted on top of Dinosaur. So it will be EMV instead of LPS, but super similar.

It “sort of” fits DAK, like how a ride through the Spanish Main in the 1700’s fits inside a 1900’s New Orleans Square. There’s a tenuous link: Pirate History. In Zootopia’s case the tenuous link to DAK is “Zoo animals”. There’s NOTHING else connecting it to the mission or vibe or flavor of the park. But there is that link, and they are gonna run with it.

Nah it'll be 100% carbon copy if they build it, ride system the whole thing including the story which is literally stopping crimes on the way to the concert. 100% doesn't fit.

Edit: Lets be real here the chance of Moana or Zootopia is less than 5%.

Brer Panther

I'm not arguing for humans, I'm arguing against the idea that anything animal fits in Animal Kingdom. I thought it was clear when I wrote it, but it appears that it not the case.
That's true. I don't think Lady and the Tramp, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The AristoCats, and Oliver and Company would fit in Animal Kingdom either, even though those movies are actually about animals.

UNCgolf

Nah it'll be 100% carbon copy if they build it, ride system the whole thing including the story which is literally stopping crimes on the way to the concert. 100% doesn't fit.

Edit: Lets be real here the chance of Moana or Zootopia is less than 5%.

It won't because they won't want to spend the extra money. They'll retrofit it onto Dinosaur before they'll tear that down and build a whole new attraction for the new ride system.

drnilescrane

It won't because they won't want to spend the extra money. They'll retrofit it onto Dinosaur before they'll tear that down and build a whole new attraction for the new ride system.
Yeah, the point here is a cheap (relatively, this is WDI we're talking about) and quick (again, relatively) fix for a ride that has low GSats.

I think the point that Bob and Josh made this weekend - and reemphasized today at the Goldman conference - the data drives everything now. Everything. Everything.

On paper, if a ride has low satisfaction (even if the wait times are high) and low G+ utilization, it's losing money. (Hollywood math, but each attraction has a P&L.)

Enterprises at WDW that lose money (Artist Point, GMR, etc) get fixed. Or closed.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Yeah, the point here is a cheap (relatively, this is WDI we're talking about) and quick (again, relatively) fix for a ride that has low GSats.

I think the point that Bob and Josh made this weekend - and reemphasized today at the Goldman conference - the data drives everything now. Everything. Everything.

On paper, if a ride has low satisfaction (even if the wait times are high) and low G+ utilization, it's losing money. (Hollywood math, but each attraction has a P&L.)

Enterprises at WDW that lose money (Artist Point, GMR, etc) get fixed. Or closed.
Does Dino have low GSATS?

drnilescrane

Does Dino have low GSATS?
Yes. Obviously can't link to a source, but let's say that ~60% of riders having Excellent experiences was enough to kill Great Movie Ride. It was the lowest rated ride on property at that point.

A big, technically complex, expensive to operate attraction is going to find it easier to end up in the red than something small and easy to run (i.e. Carousel of Progress). Especially when you go cap in hand for critical maintenance or upgrade capex above and beyond what is already budgeted for and funded through maintenance allowances.

Last edited:

doctornick

Yes. Obviously can't link to a source, but let's say that ~60% of riders having Excellent experiences was enough to kill Great Movie Ride. It was the lowest rated ride on property at that point.

A big, technically complex, expensive to operate attraction is going to find it easier to end up in the red than something small and easy to run (i.e. Carousel of Progress). Especially when you go cap in hand for critical maintenance or upgrade capex above and beyond what is already budgeted for and funded through maintenance allowances.
How does DLR manage to keep all their rides then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom