News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Look, I don't like it, but I do think you are wrong about how people would notice. Or, I guess, more so if they would care at all. I'll keep going back to Cosmic Rewind. How many people boycotted the park because that monstrosity is so out of place, and doesn't fit thematically at all? I'd put money a lot less than have gone to Epcot just to ride it. Parks having a complete theme are not the end all be all for people, it's just what made Disney better than the rest.
I know this is blasphemy or whatever, but Future World has never had a cohesive theme. The anchor attraction of FUTURE World is about the HISTORY of communication. Then you have... a trip around the world, an overview of produce farming, an aquarium, a vehicle design simulator, an acid trip, and a rocket ship. The one where you travel back in time to learn how dinosaurs became WTI Crude wasn't actually any better of a thematic fit for FUTURE World than Guardians of the Galaxy.

James Alucobond

I reiterate that they could do it well, but the way it's placement and announcement wording so far seems they don't care to try.
If this is what you’re saying, I don’t think I’m saying anything all that different from you. They hardly announced anything, just threw some artwork out there, which I contend is not in and of itself immediately alarming in terms of how it might relate to the Magic Kingdom, unlike Zootopia relative to Animal Kingdom.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
@Brer Panther let's see if this angle brings us any closer to consensus.

I think there's a difference between a land and an attraction. A land is about feel, atmosphere, immersion, place-making. An attraction is about story. So, through that lens...

Moana land - Beach, ocean, tropical island, pre-industrial. Yep, that belongs in Animal Kingdom for me.

Zootopia land - Urban, densely populated, high-tech, futuristic. Nope, that definitely doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom for me.

Now when we flip that to attractions, I think in both cases it depends on what story they decide to tell. If a Moana ride or a Zootopia ride is just a retelling of each movie's plot, I'd say that neither fits in Animal Kingdom. However, I think it's plausible that both properties could be used to tell a story that's appropriate for the park.

So Moana land yes, Moana attraction maybe. Zootopia land no, Zootopia attraction maybe.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Zootopia land - Urban, densely populated, high-tech, futuristic. Nope, that definitely doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom for me.

So Moana land yes, Moana attraction maybe. Zootopia land no, Zootopia attraction maybe.

Ok so Zootopia will go into Epcot Futureworld! "Stirin' da pot"

Phicinfan

If the ocean is so dang important in the movie, why don't they just retheme The Seas With Nemo and Friends to it then? THAT'S the part of Disney World that's focused on oceans.
The ocean and their travel is essential to the movie. Why does respect for oceans ONLY fit with the Seas? So with biomes for the Zootopia area should ONLY be covered by the Land in EPCOT?
You really think WALL-E would fit in Animal Kingdom.

Oh my head...
I said if done correctly it could fit yes. Its all in the theming, but by all means please get your head examined.
Remember how people were claiming that Frozen Ever After might use the characters to actually teach us about Norway, or that Guardians of the Galaxy might use the characters to teach about energy? If they couldn't be bothered to do that, I doubt the Moana ride will teach us anything about nature.
Well, Frozen ever after was misplaced, that is one example, yes.
As for GotG - it is in World of Discovery, you don't think finding other life in the Universe that are similar to us fits in Discovery?

Perhaps take the hate Disney design blinders off and be a bit more open minded?

Brer Panther

Moana land - Beach, ocean, tropical island, pre-industrial. Yep, that belongs in Animal Kingdom for me.
Really? That sounds more like something that belongs in Adventureland to me. I really don't think of the beach or a tropical island when I think of Animal Kingdom.
I concur.
However, I think it's plausible that both properties could be used to tell a story that's appropriate for the park.
I doubt Disney's going to go that route. See also Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy, neither of which used the properties to tell a story that was appropriate for the park.

LSLS

@Brer Panther let's see if this angle brings us any closer to consensus.

I think there's a difference between a land and an attraction. A land is about feel, atmosphere, immersion, place-making. An attraction is about story. So, through that lens...

Now when we flip that to attractions, I think in both cases it depends on what story they decide to tell. If a Moana ride or a Zootopia ride is just a retelling of each movie's plot, I'd say that neither fits in Animal Kingdom. However, I think it's plausible that both properties could be used to tell a story that's appropriate for the park.

Honestly my perfect world, I'd almost say Moana land is a no too (and attractions I'd say yes). For me, DAK lands need to be places. I mean, since precedent is there, maybe you make it Motunui.

But to me, Moana works well if you make the land a South Pacific/ocean land, then put a couple Moana attractions in, Nemo still fits fine, and then you are open to other IP. If they really forward-thought it, there is a canal district in Zootopia, so that would have some background in the show coming out, which maybe you could connect through this area as well somehow to give you your Zootopia ride.

sullyinMT

Honestly my perfect world, I'd almost say Moana land is a no too (and attractions I'd say yes). For me, DAK lands need to be places. I mean, since precedent is there, maybe you make it Motunui.

But to me, Moana works well if you make the land a South Pacific/ocean land, then put a couple Moana attractions in, Nemo still fits fine, and then you are open to other IP. If they really forward-thought it, there is a canal district in Zootopia, so that would have some background in the show coming out, which maybe you could connect through this area as well somehow to give you your Zootopia ride.
I actually wish they would avoid the fictional Motunui in lieu of real South Pacific places that inspired the story. The biggest complaint I see with Frozen in Norway is the shoehorning of a fictional locale into a generally related place. If they add Micro/Polynesian and Oceania animal exhibits (they should for park integrity), a fictional island could feel out of place. Having Moana and Maui tell their story, as voyagers to the real lands however …

celluloid

I assume you mean "what is your reasoning for this", as we don't typically require people to cite their sources for opinion.

Magic Kingdom's original intent and themes are in well written public speeches and goals of Disneyland's Magic Kingdom and Magic Kingdom, which is modeled after the original park are well documented, through college thesis to books in the industry I would say it is objectional. You can say trivial, but if there is an original intent of the magic kingdom noted by the poster proposing that, than they have a defined understanding of what the goal is. You can say it is trivial, but still be objectional. So asking for supporting evidence to better understand the side of the argument is valid here.

LSLS

I actually wish they would avoid the fictional Motunui in lieu of real South Pacific places that inspired the story. The biggest complaint I see with Frozen in Norway is the shoehorning of a fictional locale into a generally related place. If they add Micro/Polynesian and Oceania animal exhibits (they should for park integrity), a fictional island could feel out of place. Having Moana and Maui tell their story, as voyagers to the real lands however …
Oh I agree, I'm completely on board with the change if they do some sort of real place for the land. But if everything has to be IP, I worry that wouldn't even be on the table. I think a Moana land is completely out of place in that every other land at DAK is a place. I think at a minimum, it has to be the land they are from (like Pandora). But I'm with you, some sort of South Pacific/ocean land with Moana attractions by far works the best.

celluloid

Ok so Zootopia will go into Epcot Futureworld! "Stirin' da pot"

Actually, on the surface level, Zootopia is a humanities story through parable the same way Figment is an abstract representation of Imagination or Cranium Command is the abstract of the workings of the human body, so it doe in fact fit more in EPCOT on the surface level than Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom