News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

celluloid

I’m not defending Epcot although I actually don’t mind Rat. A ride focused on food, set in Paris, makes sense to me. Good is central to French culture. Certainly a better fit than Frozen.

Cosmic Rewind doesn’t belong in World…whatever district it’s in. I honestly don’t even remember. Nature, Celebration, and…? Drawing a blank.

Then you are giving the hope for Zootopia ride to teach or inspire about local animal biomes a lot of faith considering all that is announced is that it will be a ride themed to a movie that featured very little of that. Why would they give Zootopia more of a fit than they give the latest EPCOT attractions?

Also, the fact that food is central to France is an odd and kind of weak arugment isn't it? Food is essential to any culture.

Saying Rat is appropriate since it features food of the country is saying Guardians is a great fit because it features Space and Zootopia is cool just because the movie features anthropomorphic animals.

That is definitely where Disney leadership is sadly at.

James Alucobond

Then you are giving the hope for Zootopia ride to teach or inspire about local animal biomes a lot of faith considering all that is announced is that it will be a ride themed to a movie that featured very little of that. Why would they give Zootopia more of a fit than they give the latest EPCOT attractions?

Also, the fact that food is central to France is an odd and kind of weak arugment isn't it? Food is essential to any culture.

Saying Rat is appropriate since it features food of the country is saying Guardians is a great fit because it features Space and Zootopia is cool just because the movie features anthropomorphic animals.

I do not agree with Zootopia in Animal Kingdom, but I'm not sure comparing perceived future failings of unrealized attractions in the Animal Kingdom is necessarily comparable to what's going on in the World Showcase. Animal Kingdom is still at least supposedly committed to its original vision, whereas Hollywood Studios and EPCOT have both had very public re-alignments. The rides in World Showcase now exist purely as Disney exemplars of storytelling inspired by the pavilion's front-of-house culture.

celluloid

I do not agree with Zootopia in Animal Kingdom, but I'm not sure comparing perceived future failings of unrealized attractions in the Animal Kingdom is necessarily comparable to what's going on in the World Showcase. Animal Kingdom is still at least supposedly committed to its original vision, whereas Hollywood Studios and EPCOT have both had very public re-alignments. The rides in World Showcase now exist purely as Disney exemplars of storytelling inspired by the pavilion's front-of-house culture.

Hoping is fine. You can hope that Animal Kingdom will be different, but all one can do with speculation is go by the most recent efforts to match theme, there is no reason why Animal Kingdom would have any more care and the latest announcements show the same for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. So until something more is announced, it is fair to presume that.

ToTBellHop

Cuisine is more central to French culture than any other country I’ve visited. And the way cuisine permeates every inch of Rat, in the end, is very evocative of Paris for me. It’s far more successful than Frozen or Gran Fiesta in making me feel like it is actually in the country.

That is, until I go to the creperie. 3 euro will buy you a better crepe pretty much anywhere in Paris…

James Alucobond

Hoping is fine. You can hope that Animal Kingdom will be different, but all one can do with speculation is go by the most recent efforts to match theme, there is no reason why Animal Kingdom would have any more care and the latest announcements show the same for Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. So until something more is announced, it is fair to presume that.
I would disagree. Aside from a single attraction, I honestly think everything mentioned in both blue sky presentations could be implemented sensibly in both Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom without disregarding the central mission of either park.

celluloid

I would disagree. Aside from a single attraction, I honestly think everything mentioned in both blue sky presentations could be implemented sensibly in both Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom without disregarding the central mission of either park.
Could you clarify why you think that? What supporting evidence?

James Alucobond

Could you clarify why you think that? What supporting evidence?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I'm just saying that, aside from Zootopia, I don't see anything in the proposals that immediately strikes me as being unequivocally in conflict with the mission of the park for which it's proposed. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be providing evidence for.

celluloid

Cuisine is more central to French culture than any other country I’ve visited. And the way cuisine permeates every inch of Rat, in the end, is very evocative of Paris for me. It’s far more successful than Frozen or Gran Fiesta in making me feel like it is actually in the country.

That is, until I go to the creperie. 3 euro will buy you a better crepe pretty much anywhere in Paris…

That is what I think too. I feel like I am in France when I think of rats and a chef, Alfredo Linguini, named after an Italian Dish, which I think is just as cuisine centric as France, just different palate.

Kidding aside, it is fine that you like that about it and have that connection, but it is still the associative level theming. It does not seem as deep as other attempts in the parks' history.

celluloid

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I'm just saying that, aside from Zootopia, I don't see anything in the proposals that immediately strikes me as being unequivocally in conflict with the mission of the park for which it's proposed. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be providing evidence for.

I was asking for supporting evidence of why you feel the Magic Kingdom Blue Sky announcements fit the park based on what we know? You said they fit the Magic Kingdom's Mission Statement, which I presume you would mean the one that is similar to the original Disneyland Dedication plaque, so how does that fit?

ToTBellHop

That is what I think too. I feel like I am in France when I think of rats and a chef, Alfredo Linguini, named after an Italian Dish, which I think is just as cuisine centric as France, just different palate.

Kidding aside, it is fine that you like that about it and have that connection, but it is still the associative level theming. It does not seem as deep as other attempts in the parks' history.
Why do we struggle so much to understand that others have opinions and that’s fine?

You know, the film is really popular in France?

celluloid

Why do we struggle so much to understand that others have opinions and that’s fine?

The point is the logic there is the same that puts Zootopia in Animal Kingdom because of animals and Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World because it was a sci fi that featured space.

You say you have hope that the Zootopia ride will feature different animal biomes.

Seems like a tough hope compared to what has been done on the associative theme level without any further attempt.

Jrb1979

I would have rather they went back to the original plans for Works Showcase. Finish the Rhine River cruise and the planned Mt Fuji coaster. I understand that's not how Disney works now. For some reason many fans don't want it either. It's like they want every park to be full of IP.

James Alucobond

I was asking for supporting evidence of why you feel the Magic Kingdom Blue Sky announcements fit the park based on what we know? You said they fit the Magic Kingdom's Mission Statement, which I presume you would mean the one that is similar to the original Disneyland Dedication plaque, so how does that fit?
The Magic Kingdom's mission is especially broad, is it not? It's about bringing joy, inspiration, and new knowledge to the young and young at heart. Nothing binds it to specific lands or cultures, and what was proposed looked at least somewhat considered in terms of how it would relate to and transition in and out of surrounding lands. I'm not sure what one would find problematic about such a broad-brushed sketch, feasibility and outstanding issues elsewhere in the park notwithstanding.

BrianLo

Who will make the first move? Disney sends in shovels or Steve fixes the typo in the thread title? Hard to say, but I’m at the edge of my seat.

I was surprised no one had commented… but the Shanghai thread also had its title typo’d for several years. Not Steve’s fault in that case, but seems like a tradition!

MagicHappens1971

The Magic Kingdom's mission is especially broad, is it not? It's about bringing joy, inspiration, and new knowledge to the young and young at heart. Nothing binds it to specific lands or cultures, and what was proposed looked at least somewhat considered in terms of how it would relate to and transition in and out of surrounding lands. I'm not sure what one would find problematic about such a broad-brushed sketch, feasibility and outstanding issues elsewhere in the park notwithstanding.

These lands/expansions don’t pose a problem to MKs mission (dedication plaque) but they pose a thematic issue as they wouldn’t fit in Frontierland.

BrianLo

If the two Moana attractions happen and Dinosaur gets replaced with Zootopia, that means AK will have a net gain of 0 rides and still less than 10 total. 😐

Classic WDW!

But at least two of the ten will be significantly better than they were before. No matter how awful I can’t imagine they could make Dinosaur worse than it is.

Indy is so good and Dinosaur is so forgettable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom