News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

drnilescrane

This is interesting. I guess he won’t be appearing in the sequel?

Maybe Disney doesn’t want to pay?
Maybe he was cast in a movie where he was the lead, with an interesting character that navigates a world filled with systemic injustice, and instead ended up being the deuteragonist?

With the ending pushing his character (unnaturally, I'll add) into a role that wouldn't be terribly popular today? With the added bonus of only finding out in the recording booth when they gave you your new lines?

Why come back?

SpectreJordan

I like having animals of past, present and fiction represented. It would be a real bummer to lost Dinoland. Imo, DAK’s Dinoland is better than JP at IOA.

Ultimately if we lose Dinoland, it’ll be because Disney never could launch a successful Dinosaur franchise.

I’m kinda hoping the Florida drama halts funding of the project.
I'm very curious as to why you think this. I adore the Jurassic Park land at IOA. It has two of the best rides in Orlando & some pretty good theming. I really enjoy the Dinosaur ride & Restaurantarus but the dumb parking lot stops Dinoland from coming close to Jurassic Park IMO.

I don't know how true this is, but from my understanding Dinoland is actually the closest they've come to a successful dinosaur franchise. People still spend their money on dinosaurs, apparently, cheesy environment or scary ride aside.

You'd think that capitalizing on something that's well established to be a consistent gold mine but that they haven't managed to create a well liked film for would be something good for the parks, but apparently not.

Maybe they should just created a "Countdown to Extinction" film. That could make for a really fun movie. But Idk if I trust Disney's live action division, they haven't made a good movie since Tron: Legacy.

Serpico Jones

For sure.
It looks like instead of letting creative people be creative.
Everything goes through a focus group or review board.
Certain boxes must be checked...
This is the worse way to make anything, be it movies, music, automobiles.
This has become the Disney Way, unfortunately. It’s certainly hurting their movie business, look at the reviews for Indiana Jones 5.

JustInTime

I'm very curious as to why you think this. I adore the Jurassic Park land at IOA. It has two of the best rides in Orlando & some pretty good theming. I really enjoy the Dinosaur ride & Restaurantarus but the dumb parking lot stops Dinoland from coming close to Jurassic Park IMO.

Maybe they should just created a "Countdown to Extinction" film. That could make for a really fun movie. But Idk if I trust Disney's live action division, they haven't made a good movie since Tron: Legacy.
So I feel like Dinosaur the ride is basically what we want from JP. We want a jeep ride. That is what the land is missing and it’ll always be lacking until they build it. JP doesn’t feel like you’re stepping into the movies and I don’t care for the boat ride (never can ride the other).

I know Dinoland isn’t mind blowing but I think knowing what JP could be hurts it. So I gotta give it to Dinoland.

BlakeW39

My impression is that each scene will have a hero figure, with media used to flesh the environment out and make it feel alive and vibrant.

Runaway Railway really is just Remy with 6 more years of technological advancement.

The Clawhauser figure we've seen is for the queue/exposition. You enter through the police station, he tells you about the Gazelle concert that night, etc
Runaway Railway is actually worse than Remy in some ways, though. At least Remy has some nice physical set pieces, although I don't think either attraction is especially good.

While I wouldn't call myself a fan of either, I definitely believe MMRR is the superior of the two attractions.

JustInTime

Like I said, Disney magic.

Still, as the link I posted describes, the blueprints for the police chase only had four rooms, yet Lee mentioned more than four environments (four explicitly, then a mention of unseen districts). I'm assuming the police chase has already been planned out, so it sounds like Lee was discussing a hypothetical attraction, rather than the police chase.

And it sounds like the forum is trying to shove a round peg into a square hole here. Not impossible for Disney, but....sounds
Rather than a police chase, it would be more fun if Flash were driving your vehicle. It would make sense with the dinosaur ride vehicle.

CaptinEO

So I feel like Dinosaur the ride is basically what we want from JP. We want a jeep ride. That is what the land is missing and it’ll always be lacking until they build it. JP doesn’t feel like you’re stepping into the movies and I don’t care for the boat ride (never can ride the other).

I know Dinoland isn’t mind blowing but I think knowing what JP could be hurts it. So I gotta give it to Dinoland.

Inspired Figment

Disney doesn’t always take things so seriously in attractions. Frozen Ever After has Elsa singing “Let it Go” to an audience. Star Tours sometimes features characters born years after when it takes place.

People also just make mistakes, even when discussing their own creations. Again, you’re taking different, vague things and treating them as absolute truths when that is not necessarily the case.
And that there is the problem, they ‘used’ to/‘did’ initially. The original iteration of Star Tours did.

And again, implementing the IP in ways without a real understanding of the what and why those themes, characters, etc. work the way they do/should and in turn, the themes & core foundations of the parks that make them work

Brer Panther

Disney doesn’t always take things so seriously in attractions. Frozen Ever After has Elsa singing “Let it Go” to an audience. Star Tours sometimes features characters born years after when it takes place.
They are taking it pretty seriously with Tiana's Bayou Adventure, though. We can't have Dr. Facilier in the ride because it takes place after the movie.

Bocabear

Rather than a police chase, it would be more fun if Flash were driving your vehicle. It would make sense with the dinosaur ride vehicle.
isn't that basically the Spiderman ride at IOA? you are in a crime fighting team car being controlled by the police/news media?

UNCgolf

While I wouldn't call myself a fan of either, I definitely believe MMRR is the superior of the two attractions.

I haven't been on either, but I do think MMRR looks a bit better than Remy in videos.

My point was just that not everything about MMRR is an improvement over Remy, in that I definitely prefer the big physical pieces in Remy over MMRR's mostly empty rooms.

James Alucobond

I haven't been on either, but I do think MMRR looks a bit better than Remy in videos.

My point was just that not everything about MMRR is an improvement over Remy, in that I definitely prefer the big physical pieces in Remy over MMRR's mostly empty rooms.
Having been on both, I actually think Remy might be the superior ride just because it executes everything it sets out to do fairly well. Yes, I know we don’t like screen-based rides, but it parks you the right distance from them when they’re used, and it’s as effective as that type of experience can be. MMRR, on the other hand, is probably conceptually superior but suffers a bit in terms of execution. You are definitely acutely aware that you’re in a warehouse throughout. Additionally, you get a really different experience based on which train car you’re in, and not in a good way. Instead of picking up on different small details each time through, you can actually miss entire sections depending on car order. For instance, the last group to leave the dance studio barely glimpses the factory scene before it converts to the picnic scene.

BlakeW39

Having been on both, I actually think Remy might be the superior ride just because it executes everything it sets out to do fairly well. Yes, I know we don’t like screen-based rides, but it parks you the right distance from them when they’re used, and it’s as effective as that type of experience can be. MMRR, on the other hand, is probably conceptually superior but suffers a bit in terms of execution. You are definitely acutely aware that you’re in a warehouse throughout. Additionally, you get a really different experience based on which train car you’re in, and not in a good way. Instead of picking up on different small details each time through, you can actually miss entire sections depending on car order. For instance, the last group to leave the dance studio barely glimpses the factory scene before it converts to the picnic scene.

Having been on both as well, I definitely found MMRR to be the more 'practical' attraction. I didn't love either of them, but I thought Rat felt, 1. more screen based, and 2. like random stuff was happening in the kitchen that didn't really make sense. Why was Remy running away from the cooks if he was already head chef? I didn't get it. It felt like it was trying to be like Spider-Man at IOA, but not coming out nearly as strong.

James Alucobond

Having been on both as well, I definitely found MMRR to be the more 'practical' attraction. I didn't love either of them, but I thought Rat felt, 1. more screen based, and 2. like random stuff was happening in the kitchen that didn't really make sense. Why was Remy running away from the cooks if he was already head chef? I didn't get it. It felt like it was trying to be like Spider-Man at IOA, but not coming out nearly as strong.
We’re probably saying essentially the same things. I do think MMRR is superior in concept, scope, and delivering on the feeling of actually moving through space, but I also think it has more obvious executional deficiencies. Remy, on the other hand, utilizes its component parts correctly even if the final product isn’t as grand. Walking away from Remy, my thought was that it was cute and felt right-sized for the World Showcase even if the story is barely there. When getting off MMRR, I definitely had more notes in mind.

Bocabear

the real point to all of this is that RAT fits it's placement perfectly...one of the few additions at EPCOT that actually makes sense within the framework of the park... MMRR should have been the new attraction in the Animation Courtyard...the gateway to the world of Disney animation....that just makes sense... They could have redone and upgraded the Great Movie Ride keeping the premise of the entire park intact. Both of the attractions are similar and bot have their own charm...neither is bad...

JustInTime

isn't that basically the Spiderman ride at IOA? you are in a crime fighting team car being controlled by the police/news media?
My hope is that it wouldn’t be a screen based ride. But flash isn’t a crime fighter. He works for the DMV and drives incredibly fast.

drnilescrane

They could have redone and upgraded the Great Movie Ride keeping the premise of the entire park intact.
I mean they could have, but it was the lowest rated major attraction in the entire resort. I miss it dearly - same with Ellen's Energy Adventure - but guests of today didn't "get" it and it was dragging down the park's overall guest satisfaction scores.

There was also guest demand for a family friendly dark ride with no height limit. Ultimately it is a business and with the cost of attractions ballooning you've got to invest capital in a way that's going to get you a return. Why throw good money after bad?

The simplified way this stuff works is there's a consultancy group within WDI who's constantly running the numbers and identifying what is being asked for by guests that the park isn't delivering/what assets aren't pulling their weight. They partner with menu planning (the blue sky people) and see if there's an attraction they can offer that fixes the "problem". They then pitch that to resort leadership who decide if they want to invest or not. When everything lines up, the attraction gets built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom