News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

DavidDL

After being in the parks a few weeks ago and giving it some thought, I'd be lying if I said the idea of a Moana-inspired area wasn't a little bit exciting to me now. I know it would be redundant with Moana and SeaBase next to each other already in EPCOT but a Moana-inspired land in Animal Kingdom with a heavy emphasis on taking care of our oceans, the creatures that live there and how they affect our ecosystem would feel right at home. Especially if they could find a way to incorporate some kind of "reef" or ocean animal exhibit into the park alongside the land. For all it's emphasis on the animal world, Animal Kingdom does not really have a dedicated "marine life" area. An expanded exhibit similar in nature to the Shark Encounter out at SeaWorld where maybe the water from Moana "parts" for you to walk through and explore would be awesome.

-and the more I think about it, the less I hope Zootopia is chosen. I don't feel like the "big city" aesthetic fits. It's also not really a story about animals because it's more of a "human" moral movie with animal window dressing over the main characters to make it more appealing to families and children.

But knowing Disney, they will go with Zootopia because they're already building one overseas which means they can just cheaply clone that into Animal Kingdom.

...I still hope DINOSAUR finds some way to survive either one, though. -and I think that's more likely to happen if they pick Moana because it would be harder to re-theme the existing attraction. I just want dinosaurs represented in the park SOMEWHERE, Disney. 😭

Advisable Joseph

After being in the parks a few weeks ago and giving it some thought, I'd be lying if I said the idea of a Moana-inspired area wasn't a little bit exciting to me now. I know it would be redundant with Moana and SeaBase next to each other already in EPCOT but a Moana-inspired land in Animal Kingdom with a heavy emphasis on taking care of our oceans, the creatures that live there and how they affect our ecosystem would feel right at home. Especially if they could find a way to incorporate some kind of "reef" or ocean animal exhibit into the park alongside the land. For all it's emphasis on the animal world, Animal Kingdom does not really have a dedicated "marine life" area. An expanded exhibit similar in nature to the Shark Encounter out at SeaWorld where maybe the water from Moana "parts" for you to walk through and explore would be awesome.

-and the more I think about it, the less I hope Zootopia is chosen. I don't feel like the "big city" aesthetic fits. It's also not really a story about animals because it's more of a "human" moral movie with animal window dressing over the main characters to make it more appealing to families and children.

But knowing Disney, they will go with Zootopia because they're already building one overseas which means they can just cheaply clone that into Animal Kingdom.

...I still hope DINOSAUR finds some way to survive either one, though. -and I think that's more likely to happen if they pick Moana because it would be harder to re-theme the existing attraction. I just want dinosaurs represented in the park SOMEWHERE, Disney. 😭
They'really apparently going with both, according to insiders. From concept art, Zootopia would be tucked away into the corner.

And Zootopia was definitely written first to be about animals which evolved to be intelligent, according to the creators.. Human-related themes may be important, but they don't wipe out the animalistic nature of the characters. The audience does pick up on this: just ask http://www.reddit.org/r/zootopia . They definitely agree with the creators that the movie is about animals.

Those are the aspects which will likely be highlighted.

Anyway, I'd say if there is any hope for Dinosaur, it is Zootopia. The movie featured a natural history museum, and Dinosaur could be tweaked to be about finding early mammals during the age of dinosaurs.

And, heck, one of the façades I see in the Shanghai attraction is that museum!

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
It's a spoiler, but

It turns out the animals were being drugged. The drug made them violent, like bath salts. Yes, that would be a bad thing. It also worked the same and both predators and prey.

The reason it seemed plausible that there was a reversion to their wild state was because they were not human, but rather different species which did retain characteristics of their ancestors.
I forgot about that. Why did Disney think that was a good plot point for a movie?

Marc Davis Fan

Are we sure the GSRs for Dinosaur are really that low?

I’ve always thought it was “unpopular” because it’s hidden and thus a lot of people don’t realize it exists (it’s certainly the case that many of the non-researching-beforehand visitors never come across it).

If the GSRs are low, does it have to do with a mismatch between expectations and ride type, or because of a specific issue like audio levels being too high?

It seems so counterintuitive that Dinosaur is rated that poorly—it’s made of thrills + big dinosaur animatronics, which is a pretty good formula for fun, even if not a masterpiece. I mean… it’s rated worse than Kali River Rapids?

DavidDL

@Advisable Joseph; I’m just agreeing with and echoing the sentiment of Joe Rhode in the case of a potential Zootopia land. Which is basically that despite physically being animals, that the characters in the film are simply proxies for humans and that they face human related issues instead of animal ones. While a film like Avatar, despite not featuring “real” animals, still has a message that can be applied to Animal Kingdom’s themes of conservation, etc.

If a future Zootopia land does take the time to try and more comfortably “integrate” itself into the park by having its cast or attractions touch on these themes then I’d certainly feel better about it. Though I still think Moana is a much better choice aesthetically and with its potential to expand into an otherwise untouched area of the animal kingdom within the park.

If they end up building both, hopefully Zootopia is really tucked away. Or whatever it takes to hide whatever city they want to build.

Just blue sky-ing here but it’d be neat if they could find a way to convert the Conservation Station into a Zootopia land with the same elements within, plus their new attractions. Then the city would be far enough removed from the main park and give Guests that same sort of feeling that Judy Hopps had when she arrived into the city by rail.

BlakeW39

@Advisable Joseph; I’m just agreeing with and echoing the sentiment of Joe Rhode in the case of a potential Zootopia land. Which is basically that despite physically being animals, that the characters in the film are simply proxies for humans and that they face human related issues instead of animal ones. While a film like Avatar, despite not featuring “real” animals, still has a message that can be applied to Animal Kingdom’s themes of conservation, etc.

If a future Zootopia land does take the time to try and more comfortably “integrate” itself into the park by having its cast or attractions touch on these themes then I’d certainly feel better about it. Though I still think Moana is a much better choice aesthetically and with its potential to expand into an otherwise untouched area of the animal kingdom within the park.

If they end up building both, hopefully Zootopia is really tucked away. Or whatever it takes to hide whatever city they want to build.

Just blue sky-ing here but it’d be neat if they could find a way to convert the Conservation Station into a Zootopia land with the same elements within, plus their new attractions. Then the city would be far enough removed from the main park and give Guests that same sort of feeling that Judy Hopps had when she arrived into the city by rail.

don't mind @Advisable Joseph . He means well.

But Zootopia don't fit in Animal Kingdom. For 9999 good reasons.

BlakeW39

Are we sure the GSRs for Dinosaur are really that low?

I’ve always thought it was “unpopular” because it’s hidden and thus a lot of people don’t realize it exists (it’s certainly the case that many of the non-researching-beforehand visitors never come across it).

If the GSRs are low, does it have to do with a mismatch between expectations and ride type, or because of a specific issue like audio levels being too high?

It seems so counterintuitive that Dinosaur is rated that poorly—it’s made of thrills + big dinosaur animatronics, which is a pretty good formula for fun, even if not a masterpiece. I mean… it’s rated worse than Kali River Rapids?

Dinosaur *was thrilling. Not so much anymore. Truly Dino today is pretty crappy. BUT that isn't the fault of the ride, that is on Bob and really partly on Mike before him because as designed the attraction was solid

well marine life at DAK is a tricky one. you can't step on EPCOT's toes but on the other hand it does fit thematically in the park. You could do a Harambe/Anandapur style land based on some vaguely PNG/Aussie location...down under + Great Barrier Reef. Or you could do SA/CA and incorporate the Bahamas. Not that either would ever happen, of course ✌️

Mike S

Dinosaur *was thrilling. Not so much anymore. Truly Dino today is pretty crappy. BUT that isn't the fault of the ride, that is on Bob and really partly on Mike before him because as designed the attraction was solid

well marine life at DAK is a tricky one. you can't step on EPCOT's toes but on the other hand it does fit thematically in the park. You could do a Harambe/Anandapur style land based on some vaguely PNG/Aussie location...down under + Great Barrier Reef. Or you could do SA/CA and incorporate the Bahamas. Not that either would ever happen, of course ✌️
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Which land that would go to is the real question.

BlakeW39

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Which land that would go to is the real question.

if you really wanted to you could replace seas in EPCOT with a 'version' of 20k, then have your aquariums relocated to a new land in DAK.... but at this point we're getting kind of armchair

DavidDL

… Not that either would ever happen, of course ✌️

Not without (as your avatar so eloquently puts it) an established IP attached. A Great Barrier Reef/Australian type of area could be added to the park.. as long as something like Finding Nemo comes attached to it. Because Disney.

-and at this point I really don’t think I’d mind Animal Kingdom and World Discovery stepping all over each others toes, the same way I wouldn’t mind there being more than one, similar type of roller coaster in two separate parks. Though if a Moana/ocean expansion coming to Animal Kingdom meant freeing up the space in World Discovery for something else, I’d be just fine with it. SeaBase and the Living Seas have seen much better days, sadly.

doctornick

Not without (as your avatar so eloquently puts it) an established IP attached. A Great Barrier Reef/Australian type of area could be added to the park.. as long as something like Finding Nemo comes attached to it. Because Disney.

-and at this point I really don’t think I’d mind Animal Kingdom and World Discovery stepping all over each others toes, the same way I wouldn’t mind there being more than one, similar type of roller coaster in two separate parks. Though if a Moana/ocean expansion coming to Animal Kingdom meant freeing up the space in World Discovery for something else, I’d be just fine with it. SeaBase and the Living Seas have seen much better days, sadly.
The Seas is part of World Nature FWIW, just to get the terms right

DavidDL

The new names are kind of stupid, so I don't blame you for mixing them up. What is World Celebration celebrating right now exactly?
IMG_2416.jpeg

BlakeW39

blegh. And this is why I don't want to see any new lands developed for DAK under the Reign of Bob. I said Australia...NOT NEMO!

I think the point is moot anyways. No chance Disney goes and builds state of the art large scale aquariums in DAK while the Living Seas are still at EPCOT... only way that happens is if Seas goes too in my opinion.

The new names are kind of stupid, so I don't blame you for mixing them up. What is World Celebration celebrating right now exactly?

I'm not touching those stupid names. It's Future World— get it right Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom