News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

BlakeW39

Disney isn't going to do anything with DAK's attraction that isn't pretty close to what they're doing in Shanghai. They're not gonna build everything from scratch in DAK when they can copy their own homework from over in SDL. And you can bet money on that

drnilescrane

Still, as the link I posted describes, the blueprints for the police chase only had four rooms, yet Lee mentioned more than four environments (four explicitly, then a mention of unseen districts). I'm assuming the police chase has already been planned out, so it sounds like Lee was discussing a hypothetical attraction, rather than the police chase.
Shanghai is 9 scenes.

It's literally just Runaway Railway with different media. I don't have the blueprints to overlay but I'd be shocked if the track layout isn't a close copy of DLR's building.

As @lazyboy97o has said, any WDW iteration will be the same media and show scenes overlaid onto the dinosaur ride system, a la Nemo.

This is budgeted for FY25, btw. So it all starts October 2024 - i.e. as soon as Tiana opens. That's assuming the CFTOD approves of this IP 😉

Last edited:

Advisable Joseph

Shanghai is 9 scenes.

It's literally just Runaway Railway with different media. I don't have the blueprints to overlay but I'd be shocked if the track layout isn't a copy of DLR's building.

As @lazyboy97o has said, any WDW iteration will be the same media and show scenes overlaid onto the dinosaur ride system, a la Nemo.

This is budgeted for FY25, btw. So it all starts October 2024 - i.e. as soon as Tiana opens. That's assuming the CFTOD approves of this IP 😉
I can't vouch for it, but the link I mentioned above, from themeparx.com, said the leaked blueprint showed four rooms, like a section of Runaway Railway.

As for the Dinosaur reskin, wouldn't your idea run afoul of the exclusivity agreement with Shanghai Disney?

drnilescrane

I can't vouch for it, but the link I mentioned above, from themeparx.com, said the leaked blueprint showed four rooms, like a section of Runaway Railway.
Yes, it's exactly like Runaway Railway when you get into the waterfall scene. 4 vehicles going into 4 little projector pods. That's what the link says. As the link also says, the drawings leaked. I've seen them but don't have a copy.

The ride overall is 9 scenes.

We've got no actual idea if Shanghai has an exclusivity agreement on this - if they do based on past practice it's probably only Asia exclusive (not worldwide) and for 5 years. People aren't canceling their Shanghai Disney Resort trips to go to WDW instead.

SpectreJordan

...who's gonna tell him
an-emoji-disintegrating-in-pain.gif

I'm too hopeful.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Ah. Thought you meant if those would be cloned over. My bad
I have been saying that I thought everything would be cloned over as much as possible, but if the attraction in Shanghai is mostly screens, it would be harder to do that with the current ride system.

I’m just curious because we’ve seen a fair amount of animatronics previewed for the Shanghai attraction

Tha Realest

Idk man, $71.3b seems like an awful lot of money for 16 Academy Award nominations, Avatar, and The Simpsons… 🤷‍♂️
I think part of the rationale at the time was Fox’s predominance in the Indian and Asian markets, which is all the more baffling since they seem to have now abandoned efforts in the former

SpectreJordan

There's a lot of places that an answer to this question could go, but simply put I believe that Marvel, Fox, and Lucasfilm were all unnecessary acquisitions that have diluted the Disney brand. Fox was the biggest mistake, though severe mismanagement/office politics at Lucasfilm is slowly killing Star Wars.

Essentially, the company has grown too big for its own good. There are too many competing visions with no single over-arching goal or purpose other than to "make money." The principles and ideas which created near-universal adoration are being abandoned for the easiest/quickest way to monetize product, and eventually it's going to cost them.
Honestly, I think Marvel & Lucasfilm were brilliant additions. They now have "fun" brands that can appeal to teens/adults more than their traditional animated & Pixar movies can. They fit in as well as the Pirates or Tron movies do.

They can basically lock in nerds into their ecosystem for life too. I was a huge fan of Mickey & the gang/the Renaissance as a kid, grew into Pixar as I got older & then really got into Star Wars/Marvel. Then Disney bought the latter two & started sucking up my money again lmao

Now obviously, there's people who are into animation for their entire life (I'm one myself, mainly for film though). But that's not too common sadly. So it makes sense to invest into stuff that can appeal to older audiences.

I'm not a gungho about Fox. Losing such a major player isn't good for the industry & it doesn't really fit into the Disney branding as well. But I guess from a business standpoint, it's a way to get adults who've grown out of franchise stuff in the Disney ecosystem still.

drnilescrane

We have already seen quite a few animatronics previewed for the Shanghai attraction, are we sure it’s going to be so screen heavy?
My impression is that each scene will have a hero figure, with media used to flesh the environment out and make it feel alive and vibrant.

Runaway Railway really is just Remy with 6 more years of technological advancement.

The Clawhauser figure we've seen is for the queue/exposition. You enter through the police station, he tells you about the Gazelle concert that night, etc

UNCgolf

My impression is that each scene will have a hero figure, with media used to flesh the environment out and make it feel alive and vibrant.

Runaway Railway really is just Remy with 6 more years of technological advancement.

The Clawhauser figure we've seen is for the queue/exposition. You enter through the police station, he tells you about the Gazelle concert that night, etc

Runaway Railway is actually worse than Remy in some ways, though. At least Remy has some nice physical set pieces, although I don't think either attraction is especially good.

drnilescrane

One other rumor I'm hearing (and it's only a rumor)... I wonder if there are any good Jason Bateman soundalikes out there. It doesn't seem like he's in a rush to revisit this character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom