Zika Impact

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That is not entirely correct. It is the mosquito that would bite them and can in turn spread it to you (that's how vectors work). An adult female Aedes aegypti mosquito has a life span of 2-4 weeks and can infect dozens. Aedes aegypti is well-adapted to spreading tropical diseases like Zika, which is difficult to detect (aka 'silent' transmission due to the high rate of asymptomatic cases 80%)..

But you have to be extremely unlucky to be within the exact same 400m flight distance.

Aqueeta

Unless you plan to bite them, them bite you, or have sexual relations with them; they present no threat of infecting you.
Are you not familiar with how Zika spreads? Orlando mosquito bites South American carrier. Orlando mosquito bites you and now you become a carrier. It is estimated that in Brazil alone, 1.5 million people have contracted Zika. You have much greater chance of being infected by the Zika virus while at WDW than any other place in the US due to this exposure to South Americans who are more likely to be a carrier than your American neighbor or co-worker.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

But you have to be extremely unlucky to be within the exact same 400m flight distance.
Quite right. Worth noting though that Aedes aegypti prefers populated urban areas over the swamps/ woodlands. So, within a given week, how many people would travel within a given 400 m radius? In a downtown area like Wynwood it could be for work, for entertainment/ dining, etc. For the Miami cluster, CDC tested 200 people resulting in the 10 additional cases.

SorcererMC

Are you not familiar with how Zika spreads? Orlando mosquito bites South American carrier. Orlando mosquito bites you and now you become a carrier. It is estimated that in Brazil alone, 1.5 million people have contracted Zika. You have much greater chance of being infected by the Zika virus while at WDW than any other place in the US due to this exposure to South Americans who are more like to be a carrier than your American neighbor or co-worker.

Re: carriers and transmission - Zika virus is thought to be in the bloodstream for ~7 days from infection according to reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests. After 7 days, a negative test wouldn't mean that Zika wasn't present, it would mean that a serological test (eg ELISA) would need to be done to show the anitbodies. What I do not know is for how long a carrier may be transmitting the disease by vector? Is it only the 7-day viremia window or longer? I don't know if current research has the answer to that or not but I'm looking.

Edit: After being bit by an infected mosquito, the incubation period is 3-12 days, with a duration of 3-7 days (barring severe complications). This suggests that the vector transmission window is from 7-19 days.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Maybe WDW can start hiring these .
images(27).jpg

Aircon is upchargable .

ratherbeinwdw

Are you not familiar with how Zika spreads? Orlando mosquito bites South American carrier. Orlando mosquito bites you and now you become a carrier. It is estimated that in Brazil alone, 1.5 million people have contracted Zika. You have much greater chance of being infected by the Zika virus while at WDW than any other place in the US due to this exposure to South Americans who are more likely to be a carrier than your American neighbor or co-worker.
Re: carriers and transmission - Zika virus is thought to be in the bloodstream for ~7 days from infection according to reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests. After 7 days, a negative test wouldn't mean that Zika wasn't present, it would mean that a serological test (eg ELISA) would need to be done to show the anitbodies. What I do not know is for how long a carrier may be transmitting the disease by vector? Is it only the 7-day viremia window or longer? I don't know if current research has the answer to that or not but I'm looking.

Edit: After being bit by an infected mosquito, the incubation period is 3-12 days, with a duration of 3-7 days (barring severe complications). This suggests that the vector transmission window is from 7-19 days.
One rep said that men can carry it for up to nine months in semen. They recommended anyone living in the area to use condoms and he would wait a year before trying to have a child. That's if they do get control of this. This was for people in the infected area. They were very forward in saying there will be more cases in that area.
Since up to 80% of people don't have symptoms, this could be a sexually transmitted nightmare.
This is dangerous for older people and people with weak immune systems. Additionally, it has caused a significant number of Guilliam Barre (SP) in healthy people. At last report, most of those people are no longer paralyzed.

21stamps

But not the South Americans who vacationers are exposed to while at WDW? I would think they would be likely carriers.
Have you been worried about this for the past year? Or only since the Miami cases?

Has anyone seen any information of contracting Zika from a mosquito, other than a small neighborhood in Miami?

21stamps

Its the difference 380km makes. That's the same distance from London, UK to Dublin, Ireland. Forbes had an informative article a few days ago on this same subject. You know the flight range of the most common carrier mosquito Aedes aegypti ? 50-100 meters or up to 400 meters after a blood meal for egg laying. That's why you see the outbreak limited to a single neighborhood.

For those fear mongers among the readership you stand to be exposed more readily by contact from people who travel and return to your local area than you do actually traveling to the Orlando area.
That's what I keep wondering. How many people in a person's city travels out of the country- specifically the Caribbean, central or South America? I would assume it would be quite a lot.

None of these warnings, outside of the super small neighborhood in Miami, are anything new. The travel advisories have been around for quite some time. So I'm just curious why all of the sudden people are worried about WDW?

Aqueeta

So I'm just curious why all of the sudden people are worried about WDW?
Because of the devastating effect that the Zika virus can have on a newborn child and the fact that WDW is a frequent destination for those who are of child-bearing age (not to mention South Americans who are known carriers of the virus).

Last edited:

SorcererMC

One rep said that men can carry it for up to nine months in semen. They recommended anyone living in the area to use condoms and he would wait a year before trying to have a child. That's if they do get control of this. This was for people in the infected area. They were very forward in saying there will be more cases in that area.
Since up to 80% of people don't have symptoms, this could be a sexually transmitted nightmare.
This is dangerous for older people and people with weak immune systems. Additionally, it has caused a significant number of Guilliam Barre (SP) in healthy people. At last report, most of those people are no longer paralyzed.

I assume by rep you mean CDC. I was looking at this issue last night. Latest (public) CDC research for a symptomatic male is showing that the Zika virus is detected for to 76 days (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/22/10/16-0951_article). So I can understand the recommendation for people in the infected area; it's consistent with WHO recs in Latin America/Caribbean. This is what bothers me about Zika, that couples must alter their planning through no fault of their own.

It's quite odd to me that the 'usual at-risk groups' of elderly and people with weak immune systems aren't really being mentioned. I have autoimmune issues; I generally avoid getting sick or take precautions as a matter of course without even thinking about it. So, it turns out I may be more personally invested in this issue than I thought. I would have to consult my doctor re: travel in Zika areas. And I'm looking at WDW for next summer (or DLP but that seems unlikely), or maybe Mexico.

21stamps

Because of the devastating effect that the Zika virus can have on a newborn child and the fact that WDW is a frequent destination for those who are of child-bearing age (not to mention South Americans who are known carriers of the virus).
I wouldn't go so far to say "those of child bearing age". I'm technically in that group, and I have absolutely 0 plans of becoming pregnant.
The "advisory" is for people who are A. Pregnant or B. Planning on becoming pregnant.

My question though was, why all of the sudden are people focusing on Disney? Why not 3,4,6,9 months ago?
It's not just "South Americans" it's anyone who has been to a country/area that has known Zika cases who could potentially carrying it, and thereby spreading it. Plenty of those people are probably where you live. This is the reason that it is in almost every state in our country.

Aqueeta

I wouldn't go so far to say "those of child bearing age". I'm technically in that group, and I have absolutely 0 plans of becoming pregnant.
I am pretty sure my last was conceived at WDW while staying at the Grand Floridian and we were not planning to have him so soon after our previous child.
My question though was, why all of the sudden are people focusing on Disney? Why not 3,4,6,9 months ago?
Because Zika is being spread by local mosquitos now which will lead to a major impact on tourism and the king of tourism in Florida is Disney.

21stamps

I am pretty sure my last was conceived at WDW while staying at the Grand Floridian and we were not planning to have him so soon after our previous child.
Because Zika is being spread by local mosquitos now which will lead to a major impact on tourism and the king of tourism in Florida is Disney.
I would think that if someone is not trying to get pregnant, and wants to go to WDW, on a cruise, or to any destination where there is risk, that they would probably take some kind of precaution (out of the several options available to women) regarding the chance of pregnancy, besides just leaving it up to fate.

Local mosquitos where?

prfctlyximprct

I am so nervous. Mosquitos don't usually bother me at home, I have o positive blood and always thought maybe that was why? Or maybe I'm sour... Lol.. But anywho, I'm going to be loading on the bug spray bc I don't want to chance anything. Read about someone who contracted zika and was told not to have children for the next 3 years. It's just scary how new the virus is and how much they don't know about it. I will not cancel my trip, but I will smell like OFF the whole time.

21stamps

I don't have a sensationalized article to post..

But here's another 2 maps.

1 of Wynwood. 1 of Miami. Just to try and give people an idea of how small the Wynwood area is.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom