Zika Impact

SorcererMC

Zika was discovered in 1947. I am not going to start worrying about it now just because the media wants me to do so.
Please be specific.
1947 - an emerging mosquito-borne (Aedes aegypti ) arbovirus that was first isolated from a rhesus monkey in Uganda

Zika Virus outbreaks:
2007- the first outbreak was documented in the Pacific islands, in Yap Island, Micronesia
2013 - it was in French Polynesia (Until 2013, there was no evidence Zika had ever hospitalized anyone)
2014 - to Cook Islands
7 May 2015- Brazil reported its first case of Zika virus disease
2 Feb 2016 - first US case reported in TX (travel-related)
3 Feb 2016 - 9 cases reported in FL (all travel-related)
-----------------------------------
Travelers aren't cancelling their vacations. They are going and bringing it back to the US, which isn't a problem for most people until it becomes locally-transmitted on a wide scale. It's still not a problem for most people, but please, it is patronizing to suggest that there is no reason for concern whatsoever (media hysteria or otherwise).

ratherbeinwdw

Ok please, please I'm not trying to be rude, but can we please keep this somewhat non-alarming. There was cases of dengue in Key West @ 2009-2010, it was not an epidemic in the slightest bit. Tourism was not affected, locals didn't flee, nor were they overly concerned.

Sorry to seem passionate about this, but we're talking about a part of the country that I know and love, and what is being talked about here is completely sensationalized.

Let's not try to scare people away from SoFla, the Keys, or even WDW. There are a lot of dangerous things in Florida, even more "danger" in SoFla if you want to get technical. Most people never actually experience any of that danger. Locals or tourists. They certainly don't walk around in fear.

There are plenty of us on this thread @Kylo Ken just mentioned earlier as well, who don't stop living because of a potential small chance of danger.
There is nothing small about this danger.

SorcererMC

Ok please, please I'm not trying to be rude, but can we please keep this somewhat non-alarming. There was cases of dengue in Key West @ 2009-2010, it was not an epidemic in the slightest bit. Tourism was not affected, locals didn't flee, nor were they overly concerned.
An outbreak is not an epidemic. There were 63 cases in in a local population of ~25,000. Tourism was affected due to travel alerts (I'll add w/ some specifics but I have to go).

what is being talked about here is completely sensationalized.
Talking about Zika virus is not in and of itself sensationalization. Knowledge is power, and I have been clear that the threat of Zika virus for most people is low or very low.
I find it worthy of discussion when govts are issuing travel warnings to FL. Let's not pretend that central Florida won't be affected by that.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
The thing is zika is risky for certain groups of people. If you have no plans for having babies in the near futur, then you are risking mere flu-like symptoms. If you are pregnant or want to have a baby soon, there is a potential for serious birth defects. So it makes sense for those people to be overly cautious.
Understood. People obviously should exercise caution. But right now, there have been four, FOUR cases of mosquito transmitted Zika in areas about 200 miles southeast of WDW. People on here are acting as if it is a massive outbreak. Locals aren't fleeing the area or being quarantined. People still go about their daily business. Should you wear repellent? Sure. Should you take extra precautions if you choose to? Absolutely.

Also, how many cases have been reported at or near Disney? Zero. Could it make it's way up to the Orlando-metro area? Sure. We can also win Powerball or get hit by a bus. Everyone has the free will to live their lives however they choose. If people want to postpone or cancel trips based on zika, hey that's fine. I'm also speaking from a local perspective right outside of "ground-zero" when I say that a lot of us down here aren't bothered or frightened by these developments.

21stamps

There is nothing small about this danger.
The chances are small of contracting it. I'm not saying every pregnant woman should now schedule a vacation in a Zika area. I've said repeatedly that if I was pregnant/trying I may rethink my plans to the Caribbean.
But WDW is not the Caribbean and it is not South Florida it is Central Florida and not a tropical climate. Sub tropic and tropic are not the same. It's why South Florida has different wildlife, different plants, iguanas, crocs etc that can't survive in Central Florida. So why all of the sudden people are so concerned with WDW is a little confusing. If a crocodile can't go from Miami to Orlando why are we pretending that a mosquito will?
An outbreak is not an epidemic. There were 63 cases in in a local population of ~25,000. Tourism was affected due to travel alerts (I'll add w/ some specifics but I have to go).

Talking about Zika virus is not in and of itself sensationalization. Knowledge is power, and I have been clear that the threat of Zika virus for most people is low or very low.
I find it worthy of discussion when govts are issuing travel warnings to FL. Let's not pretend that central Florida won't be affected by that.
I don't need to read or google about how Key West was impacted in 2009-2010. I was there monthly, and I have plenty of close friends who own tourist businesses there, they didn't have a cut in profit those years. I never once gave a second thought to visiting, and from the looks of Duval street, most people didn't give it a second thought as well.

Talking about it is fine. People need to be aware of where they are traveling to and what is going on there- always, Zika or not. But again- unless you are pregnant/trying to conceive then it isn't a huge deal. It's not a sudden epidemic, and it's not in Orlando. There have been "warnings" about the Caribbean for close to a year.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Understood. People obviously should exercise caution. But right now, there have been four, FOUR cases of mosquito transmitted Zika in areas about 200 miles southeast of WDW. People on here are acting as if it is a massive outbreak. Locals aren't fleeing the area or being quarantined. People still go about their daily business. Should you wear repellent? Sure. Should you take extra precautions if you choose to? Absolutely.

Also, how many cases have been reported at or near Disney? Zero. Could it make it's way up to the Orlando-metro area? Sure. We can also win Powerball or get hit by a bus. Everyone has the free will to live their lives however they choose. If people want to postpone or cancel trips based on zika, hey that's fine. I'm also speaking from a local perspective right outside of "ground-zero" when I say that a lot of us down here aren't bothered or frightened by these developments.

21stamps

Here's a map of Florida for anyone who was unsure of the distance between Miami and Orlando.
Once you get north of Jupiter the climate changes. I am from South East Florida, in the Miami/Dade, Broward, Palm Beach area... If you haven't been there before- it looks, feels, and is completely different than central Florida. It's definitely not a hop skip and a jump away. More like a 4 hour car ride.

image.jpeg

SorcererMC

It's not a sudden epidemic, and it's not in Orlando.

This is false. It is a rather sudden outbreak. As of July 27, there are 40 cases of Zika virus in Orange County, all travel-related.
As of yet, there are 0 confirmed cases of locally-acquired Zika infection.

While climate is a factor, the mosquito vector range encompasses all of Florida and the southern US.

21stamps

This is false. It is a rather sudden outbreak. As of July 27, there are 40 cases of Zika virus in Orange County, all travel-related.
As of yet, there are 0 confirmed cases of locally-acquired Zika infection.

While climate is a factor, the mosquito vector range encompasses all of Florida and the southern US.

But it isn't a sudden outbreak!! And MOST IMPORTANTLY--- saying "Orange County has 40 Zika cases" but then not mentioning the rest of the US is sensationalism!!! It is misleading. It's causing panic where it isn't needed. Awareness is one thing..blowing something out of proportion is an entirely different thing.

This is from the CDC-- EVERY state except for the ones in gray have "Zika cases".
image.png

21stamps

How does Orlando differ from anywhere else of the same color on the map? Why are "we" worried about Disney World? There is no logic behind it.

4 people in Miami contracted it by an actual bite. Nowhere near Orlando. There is no reason to sound the panic alarm on something that has not happened. EDIT--Looks like 10 more now.

Although, I guess one could always move to a Zika free zone... Hurry put your house on the market!

P.s. This just in-- CAR ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN FLORIDA!! Don't drive, don't be on the roads, take a boat to Florida and stay within walking distance of said boat-- stay away from the dangerous streets!!!!

Doesn't matter that car accidents happen in all 50 states, right?

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How does Orlando differ from anywhere else of the same color on the map? Why are "we" worried about Disney World? There is no logic behind it.

4 people in Miami contracted it by an actual bite. Nowhere near Orlando. There is no reason to sound the panic alarm on something that has not happened.
Although, I guess one could always move to a Zika free zone... Hurry put your house on the market!
I do not care for the media panic but, in all honesty, it is the only way anything will get done about it.

Our government tends to ignore warnings and react to emergencies.

If a little fabricated panic will light fires under the correct people and speed up development of a vaccine, then I can deal with it.

21stamps

Federal health officials on Monday advised pregnant women to avoid a Miami neighborhood— marking the first time the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned against travel to any area within the continental United States — as a Zika outbreak in South Florida has led to 10 more local cases spread by mosquitoes.

The advisory extends to all expectant mothers, and women planning on becoming pregnant who have traveled to a one-square-mile area north of downtown Miami — including Wynwood, Midtown and the Design District — on or after June 15, said CDC Director Tom Frieden.

This is the ONLY place the CDC has issued this type of Warning-
THE CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION ON MONDAY ADVISED PREGNANT WOMEN TO AVOID THE WYNWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD OF MIAMI. PREGNANT WOMEN AND THEIR PARTNERS LIVING IN OR TRAVELING TO THE AREA SHOULD TAKE STEPS TO AVOID MOSQUITO BITES. WOMEN AND MEN WHO LIVE IN OR TRAVELED TO THE AREA SINCE JUNE 15 AND WHO HAVE A PREGNANT SEX PARTNER SHOULD USE CONDOMS OR ABSTAIN FROM SEX DURING PREGNANCY. ALL PREGNANT WOMEN IN THE UNITED STATES SHOULD BE TESTED FOR POSSIBLE ZIKA VIRUS EXPOSURE DURING EACH PRENATAL CARE VISIT.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article93057392.html

Last edited:

SorcererMC

But it isn't a sudden outbreak!! And MOST IMPORTANTLY--- saying "Orange County has 40 Zika cases" but then not mentioning the rest of the US is sensationalism!!! It is misleading. It's causing panic where it isn't needed. Awareness is one thing..blowing something out of proportion is an entirely different thing.

This is from the CDC-- EVERY state except for the ones in gray have "Zika cases".
View attachment 154266
I was correcting your statement according to the status of Orlando and within the limits of this thread. No more, no less.
Thank you for posting the CDC map that shows the incidence in the US.

I highly doubt that I am causing panic nor 'blowing it out of proportion' by providing accurate information. Making inaccurate statements is a disservice to public awareness. Most individuals will make an informed decision according to their own circumstance. I see nothing wrong w/ having a laissez-fair attitude about Zika virus, but the majority of people are concerned about it to some extent, and being able to rationalize that concern matters.

21stamps

I was correcting your statement according to the status of Orlando and within the limits of this thread. No more, no less.
Thank you for posting the CDC map that shows the incidence in the US.

I highly doubt that I am causing panic nor 'blowing it out of proportion' by providing accurate information. Making inaccurate statements is a disservice to public awareness. Most individuals will make an informed decision according to their own circumstance. I see nothing wrong w/ having a laissez-fair attitude about Zika virus, but the majority of people are concerned about it to some extent, and being able to rationalize that concern matters.

The part that I highlighted in bold is something that I strongly agree with. To me being "informed" means looking at the whole picture, and the risk that goes along with. Most people know that car accidents happen in every state. Not everyone may be aware that Zika is in almost every state. So to only talk about Orlando can be very misleading. Bottom line- the CDC has issued One Warning Against Travel- and that warning is limited to a very small area, not even relatively close to Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom