Zika Impact

thomas998

Re: aerial spraying, it has limited effectiveness against the particular mosquito vector for Zika, Aedes aegypti (also vector Aedes albopictus which has a greater range than Aedes aegypti). As there is no treatment or vaccine, mosquito control is the best preventive measure (and the politics of funding that is a real....mess).

The good news re: local transmission is that an infected mosquito only travels within a few hundred yards during its lifetime. The bad news is that Orlando and Miami are future hotspots for it, so FL tourism is likely to be affected regardless of what officials say. Orlando is also having an influx of Puerto Ricans fleeing the economic crisis there, and Zika is rampant in Puerto Rico....Zika is asymptomatic for 4 out of 5 individuals. It's definitely an evolving situation, and I'm really hoping that it doesn't reach 'Ebola hysteria' levels.
What we really need is to bring back DDT until the problem of zika is solved. If using DDT for decades didn't kill us all then limited use of it again for even a few months wouldn't be an issue.

SorcererMC

What we really need is to bring back DDT until the problem of zika is solved. If using DDT for decades didn't kill us all then limited use of it again for even a few months wouldn't be an issue.
'need'? Not in the least; Zika is not malaria. Bringing back DDT in the US would be misguided folly, for a number of reasons, including questionable efficacy.

Matt_Black

'need'? Not in the least; Zika is not malaria. Bringing back DDT in the US would be misguided folly, for a number of reasons, including questionable efficacy.

Questionable efficacy? When Jake "The Snake" Roberts hit the DDT, that was it! The match was over.

iXG2M9HZGaxdM.gif

21stamps

What is your point? Are you trying to tell members here who have had to reluctantly cancel a trip to WDW that their obstetricians are wrong?

My point is---to give actual factual information...like ya know, Geography, so people reading can understand that when someone, like you quoted, says that there were "LOCAL" cases or people contracting the virus from mosquitos, that in fact, Wynwood is not at all close to being "Local" to the Orlando area. Not by a long shot.

OBs have been warning pregnant women for more than half a year now about travelling, and about taking precautions and getting tested for the virus...nothing has changed regarding these warnings---EXCEPT to the Wynwood area, which is a very, very small part of Miami.

Facts are important, or should be.

21stamps

I think it's also important to note- there has not been one travel alert or warning imposed on South Beach (which is in Miami) Ft Lauderdale (which is close to Miami) or any of the other SEVERAL cities in the SoFla area that is different than an alert that already existed before the Wynwood cases.

So if places in the same region of the state do not have new warnings, why are people pretending that a city over 200 miles away has new restrictions?

SorcererMC

Quote from the US Travel Assn on Nightly Business Report on the Impact to the Tourism Industry:
"We're in the early stages of this, and the facts, it's most important for us all to make sure we're listening to the experts, being precise with the information, and that there is proper perspective and keep a level-head (neither overreact or underreact)."

Good advice!

21stamps

Quote from the US Travel Assn on Nightly Business Report on the Impact to the Tourism Industry:
"We're in the early stages of this, and the facts, it's most important for us all to make sure we're listening to the experts, being precise with the information, and that there is proper perspective and keep a level-head (neither overreact or underreact)."

Good advice!
Hopefully people take it! Including the media!

Aqueeta

Yes, because why insert logic into a panic fantasy? It's better to just let people spread untruths to frighten others.
Is it not logical to assume that many of the South Americans visiting WDW are carriers of the Zika virus and can transmit said virus via local mosquitos to other WDW patrons? It is the doctors who are using this logic when advising their patients to stay away from WDW.

21stamps

Is it not logical to assume that many of the South Americans visiting WDW are carriers of the Zika virus and can transmit said virus via local mosquitos to other WDW patrons? It is the doctors who are using this logic when advising their patients to stay away from WDW.
My advise, start at page 1 and read this entire thread. I'm not being funny, actually serious, it might let you view the convo in a different light. Not one person has said for a pregnant woman to rush anywhere. As I said, warnings have been in place for pregnant women since this past winter. None of that is new info.

I don't know why you are only focusing on South Americans though. It's a lot more widespread than that. Hence the warnings that have been in place for months.

Marco226

Just reported on CNN that 33 US military members now infected with Zika. Oy.. I didn't hear where they are stationed. Having been in the miltary, I know that everyone will get mandatory blood tests done, so I'm confident they can isolate the situation. It just sucks more for the military because they need to focus on their mission, but now they have to also think about mosquitos.

Edit: The number is a combination of last month's infected service members, which was 18, and this month's number. Many of the service members' family members were also infected. This is happenening overseas, but they srill didn't say exactly where.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Just reported on CNN that 33 US military members now infected with Zika. Oy.. I didn't hear where they are stationed. Having been in the miltary, I know that everyone will get mandatory blood tests done, so I'm confident they can isolate the situation. It just sucks more for the military because they need to focus on their mission, but now they have to also think about mosquitos.

Edit: The number is a combination of last month's infected service members, which was 18, and this month's number. Many of the service members' family members were also infected. This is happenening overseas, but they srill didn't say exactly where.

June 3, 2016: Military Times reported 17 total cases (11 troop cases, 4 cases in their dependents, and 2 military retirees), year to date since January of this year. Fifteen of those 17 had traveled to LAC countries, including Colombia, Dominican Republic, Brazil, and Puerto Rico.

I am assuming that the 16 additional cases would be similar to that. Agreed that the military is vigilant re: monitoring troop health and testing for diseases, and that it is likely to remain isolated. I put this in the 'good news' column, as it seems to suggest that outbreaks will continue to be limited.

thomas998

I'm hoping this is a joke.
No. It isn't a joke. The reality is DDT has been much maligned in large part due to a book filled with junk science from the 1960's. DDT was never shown to be even fractionally as bad as it was painted to be by Rachel Carson. The truth is that many people did die from the DDT substitutes that flooded the market when DDT was banned. DDT was and is the safest and most effective method for mosquito control. It is only because too many environmental nut jobs have pretty much elevated Carson to near messiah level that people are not looking at what was behind her claims. And because of that millions of people die each year from things like malaria which would be much less of a problem if we simply started using DDT again.

thomas998

So your telling me a virus that can cause sever birth defect and death of a fetus is not a serious enough threat to rank up there with malaria? True Zika might not be of much consequence to a healthy adult but I kind of think babies deserve a bit of consideration as well.

21stamps

No. It isn't a joke. The reality is DDT has been much maligned in large part due to a book filled with junk science from the 1960's. DDT was never shown to be even fractionally as bad as it was painted to be by Rachel Carson. The truth is that many people did die from the DDT substitutes that flooded the market when DDT was banned. DDT was and is the safest and most effective method for mosquito control. It is only because too many environmental nut jobs have pretty much elevated Carson to near messiah level that people are not looking at what was behind her claims. And because of that millions of people die each year from things like malaria which would be much less of a problem if we simply started using DDT again.
So are we completely ignoring the effects that DDT has on wildlife?
So your telling me a virus that can cause sever birth defect and death of a fetus is not a serious enough threat to rank up there with malaria? True Zika might not be of much consequence to a healthy adult but I kind of think babies deserve a bit of consideration as well.

It is devastating sad to think of a baby being born with the issues that are being reported, but unfortunately we can't expose everyone and every animal to a highly destructive poison.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom