You're the New CEO of Disney: What Project Do You Greenlight?

ToyStoryMiss

Hmmm..if I was CEO..
I will make multiple choices here, just to get all of it out of the way.
For Magic Kingdom, I would expand it. While adding new attractions/lands/whatever else. It's the most popular park out of them all, and my personal favorite, but it lacks in capacity. I don't want to be sandwiched up against more people each year I go! For the things I'd add, or change, I'd make a land for Frozen, as it's extremely popular. (Am I the only one who noticed the lack of Frozen merch? My sister was recently down there, about 2-3 weeks ago or so, and she said there was nothing there. :confused:)
I'd set up a (large) M&G area, so maybe you could even meet Hans an Kristoff! Well, not so much Hans (ugh, I hate him), but maybe have Olaf meet n greet! :D Have a little castle based off of Elsa's ice castle, and a dark ride would be nice too! And other lands, maybe a land featuring Tangled, Brave, Mulan, etc. oooh
Also, for refurbishment-wise things, I'd redo Space Mountain, make it smoother like the one in DL. My back hurts every time after I ride it. :grumpy:

For Epcot, I'd redo FW and turn it back to how it was before. Restore Horizons, WoM, Figment, etc. And I'd also let EO stay. :) (I love it, I never want it to leave!) I'd also like to add another country or 2 to WS. It needs some.

For DHS, oh, where do I begin?
Expand it. Add Monstropolis, Carsland, Star Wars Land, etc. Bring back the Hunchback show. Made a dark ride for Indiana Jones, something similar for the Muppets. Or maybe they could get their own land! (Muppets fan here)
Get rid of the Backlot Tour and LMA!.
Expand Pixar Place, and put different characters from the movies there, i.e. Mr. Fredrickson, Russel, Dug, the Incredibles, etc. (Wall-e, anyone?)

For AK, I'd make the Yeti full functional again. Also put more rides in, too. Maybe an actual ride for A Bug's Life, instead of a show. Put something for Bambi there, put in a Jungle Book ride, etc. I'd keep Avatarland, though. Even though I'd want nothing more than for Disney to stick to originalt stuff, it seems pretty cool. :happy:

And, overall, improve the maintenance and food quality. They both stink lately in WDW.
After we settle all of the issues in the 4 parks, then we can add another. :joyfull:

morningstar

Fix Epcot.

I take the term "greenlight" to mean approving plans proposed by others, not creating the ideas myself, so I won't be specific about how to do that. I assume others in the Disney organization have / will proposed plans for such, and I would approve one such big idea and/or several such small ideas in order to improve Epcot overall.

Of course, I have some amateur Imagineering ideas of my own, and I wouldn't restrain myself from at least throwing them into the mix.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I love the ideas guys...keep them coming.

Just to play devils advocate, do you think spending time and money on so many "themed" attractions is the way to go across the board? I get a little scared putting in an entire area dedicated to X movie because it's hard to tell what will be timeless. 10-15 years from now, rides become stale if they are irrelevant. New fantasyland has some rises, but they are based on classics like Little Mermaid and Snow White.

To bolster my argument about refurbishing EPCOT, I point to Epcot attractions being more future proof with lasting power, like a Spaceship Earth. They can be reimagined without relying on a theme that no longer is relevant, like Stich. Alien Encounter was great and it was a mistake to remove.

Matt_Black

Just to play devils advocate, do you think spending time and money on so many "themed" attractions is the way to go across the board? I get a little scared putting in an entire area dedicated to X movie because it's hard to tell what will be timeless. 10-15 years from now, rides become stale if they are irrelevant.

Swiss Family Treehouse is as stale as month-old bread, and that's still around.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Swiss Family Treehouse is as stale as month-old bread, and that's still around.
Right...and it needs to go. I really don't like seeing those attractions that are just like "Why is that still there." Swiss Family is right up there on that list.

I've said before, I'd like to see more Haunted Mansion, SSE, Soarin, and Great Movie Ride types of attractions. Of course, they have a theme, but their premise is timeless and not tied to a movie or celebrity. Pirates will be fine even when Johnny Depp is long gone. The Great Movie Ride could be great again. ALL it needs is a movie update and it's still a great premise.

Glasgow

It pains me to see EPCOT in such stagnation. What has changed in FW since 1982? Gone are WoM, WoL and Horizons and what has been added? Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin. See a theme there? Replace attractions with immersive stories and replace with D/E tix with average stories? In 32 years they've added 3 attractions?? Really? Wow, that is some amazing fiscal restraint there! :rolleyes: I'm embarrassed bringing people back to Epcot, my favorite park because it looks almost exactly the same as it did 30 years ago.

I guess some of that evaluation is unfair. Other little changes have been made here and there, such as Communicore, The Seas with Nemo and a few other things but c'mon.

Apparently, it's a money making machine and doesn't need any updating? Its sad to see, it used to be such a beacon of light in terms of theme park design, now its just an aging graveyard of old tech waiting for an overhaul.

Cliffs notes : EPCOT overhaul is my project :happy:

JeffnPa

HA very good reads, As CEO of WDW world I would like to announce that we have purchased Universal Studios and Sea World we will be incorporating The Disney Magic into Sea world and preserve the eco system. This will be our foremost project. As for universal It will remain "as is" for now ,but please look for the Disney touch to appear in this park soon. CEO WDW.

Simply put, why add to the current system when you can buy others out and own them.

ParkMan73

Just to play devils advocate, do you think spending time and money on so many "themed" attractions is the way to go across the board? I get a little scared putting in an entire area dedicated to X movie because it's hard to tell what will be timeless. 10-15 years from now, rides become stale if they are irrelevant. New fantasyland has some rises, but they are based on classics like Little Mermaid and Snow White.

To bolster my argument about refurbishing EPCOT, I point to Epcot attractions being more future proof with lasting power, like a Spaceship Earth. They can be reimagined without relying on a theme that no longer is relevant, like Stich. Alien Encounter was great and it was a mistake to remove.

I don't mind spending money on themed attractions. The themes generally represent some character(s) that have really resonated with us. Stitch - though dated - isn't even a horrible character around which to theme an attraction. At the end of the day, even if the character goes out of fashion, you still have a cool attraction.

I do see that sticking to current themes is a crutch. It's easy for an executive to take a popular theme and make a ride - after all, which higher level executive would really blame them. With all of Disney's ability to generate content, I'd like to see them take park ideas and then generate content in the studious around that idea. Specifically, take some future world concepts and then build franchises around them.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I agree that it doesn't fit in anymore. But if it left, what would take its place?
They could get creative, I'm sure, but it'd take the right vision and some money. Unfortunately, Disney can't operate without answering to shareholders. That is really the sick part for fans like ourselves.

Fantaseer

Now for Fantasyland,
  • I have mentioned this before, but I say that the Tea Cups need an upgrade. I am a huge fan of the roof they put in the concept art of New Fantasyland and would definitely greenlight that. But then there is the surrounding area. right next to the Cheshire Cafe, I would put the White Rabbit's house with a front yard, fence and all that; and turn that into the Alice meet'n'greet with either the White Rabbit or the Mad Hatter (probably both). then take the singing flowers from the ride in Disneyland (not literally take them out of course) and apply them in the area so it seems more like a fantasy area than a tea cup spinner next to a smelly car ride.
  • The only thing I would do to Storybook Circus is (and some will complete disagree....maybe) is take off from the Fastpass Plus tent between the railroad stop and Pete's Silly Slideshow for a Dumbo meet'n'greet. I know this is pretty stupid but I would love to see his character in the park.
  • Does anyone remember when there was that area across from Winnie the Pooh that was like a playground or something? I would reuse that space as meet'n'greet for Snow White and Prince Charming (with the line wrapping around the right side of the mine train so it doesn't block the pathway, similar to Be Our Guest). This means there is an open spot in PFH which brings us to my next idea.
  • Make Aurora a permanent princess. She has her own kingdom over in California, she should have time to break away from that and visit a new land. Which means the line up is Cinderella, Rapunzel, Aurora, and Anna and Elsa. But I have more plans for Rapunzel, Anna, and Elsa.
  • I posted this "New Merida Rumor?", but I say that Merida should move into PFH and Anna and Elsa in the Fairytale Garden. Add appropriate decor like frost and ice, maybe add some of the snow machines like on Main Street and have a little show type meet'n'greet.
  • Now with Rapunzel, I've also mentioned this before but now have tweaked it, instead of the alcove, just put Rapunzel and Eugene between the brown gate and women's bathroom in the Tangled rest stop. I might even have them start a little dance thing like in the movie.
  • Now we have an open space again, have Merida, Pochahontas, and Mulan switch out as the visiting princesses.
  • Have a different top for Prince Charming's Carousel. It isn't bad, it's just bland.
  • Refurbish the Philharmagic, the seats are worn, the spots on the chairs where smells and sprays come out are worn, and every thing that comes out smells like champagne. Maybe make a new movie with more films mentioned.
  • For Peter Pan, a new paint job, better lighting, and hopefully a smoother track.
  • IASW, I know it's a classic, but it needs some love, I would say slowly switch out the dolls with nicer looking ones (one by one so there isn't really a noticeable difference) and seriously update the technology.
That about covers it so next time I'll post Liberty Square and Fronteirland.

GrammieBee

Back to the basics. Remember, Walt Disney wanted a clean family oriented park with something for everyone. Therefore: 1. Make sure the parks are clean. Have enough staff. The more people in the parks ---unfortunately, the more litter there will be.
2. If something looks shabby-- clean it up, repaint it or repair it.
3. If something is broken or is not working as it should---Fix it.
4. If something is seriously out of date and not a classic---upgrade it.
5. Study your demographics to make sure there is something for everyone. Not all guests like or can go on thrill rides. Not all guests will spend time at the shows or quieter dark rides. Believe it or not, some guests even like the various shops. There should be a balance between all of these elements.. Right now there seems to be a split between those who would turn everything into a E ticket ride and those who want everything suitable for a three to ten year old.
6. Make sure to keep the magic through spot on theaming for each area including the landscaping. Not just hard scape landscaping like paths and walls, but also green landscaping ---trees, shrubs, bushes and grassy areas .Without green landscaping an amusement park is just a collection of rides, shows and places to eat. They can be fun, but lack magic.
7. Have places where guests can sit and rest in the shade.
8. If you cannot afford to run them yourself, beat the bushes for corporate sponsors so there is not a single empty building,vacant former sttraction space, empty stage or closed restaurant. The more that is open, the more you spread out the crowds.
9. Only rent umbrella strollers. I'll catch flack on this one, but umbrella strollers take up less rom and usually don't clip ankles. If a child is too large for one of these---they are old enough to walk. Someone with an older special needs child usually has their own type of conveyance for that child.

I'm mainly thinking of the Magic Kingdom, but this list can certainly apply to all four parks.

Arty Cordova

I would add Spain to the world showcase in Epcot and convert the maelstrom ride in Norway to a Frozen ride. I would also like to create a princess Tiana themed restaurant, not sure where I would put it yet. I would also like to modernize the Peter Pan ride. For the technology we have today, I just can't justify those lines for what the ride delivers. I also like someone else's suggestion of turning fairy tale garden into a huge Ana and Elsa exhibit with snow machines etc.

Figaro928

I would gut Tomorrowland and start fresh.

• Space Mountain would get a complete Overhaul- new track & cars, a smoother ride with better effects
  • Stitch would be gone. replaced with a teen based interactive attraction
  • Sonny Eclipse would get a new track and no mores bays to get food.
  • Monster Inc Laugh Floor would move to DHS - where it belongs! Replaced with a good redo of the time traveler but instead of Jules Vern have Walt Disney
  • Buzz would get a 3D overhaul and be more challenging. new guns too
  • Make the dessert party dining area that's closed and mission to mars themed sit down dining experience
  • the TL SW...oh boy... gut that attraction & replaces with at least one e-ticket ride
  • Carosel of progress would move to Epcot & replaces with a Dr.doom type lift-off ride (worth the great view)
  • bring back push & also have "spacemen" characters walking around & entertaining
  • no more dance parties
  • Lastly, the people mover would get new cars with a sleeker design

All in all my new TL would be more tomorrow-esque and far less jumbled. it would have a sleek look about it.

I think of all the jumbled messes in WDW, TL is the biggest mess

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom