Ying & Yak in AK

rshell68

Original Poster
I was just reading on Allears that the name of the new restaurant in AK is going to be Ying & Yak. I'm sure they mean yak the animal but isn't it strange that a restaurant would have another word for vomit in it's name?! Heehee :wave:

mkepcotmgmak

I was just reading on Allears that the name of the new restaurant in AK is going to be Ying & Yak. I'm sure they mean yak the animal but isn't it strange that a restaurant would have another word for vomit in it's name?! Heehee :wave:

:lol:
Thanks for the info!

Tim G

And let the yak jokes begin...................... Belle
Errr...
YAK
Also named: 野牦牛, 野嫠(牛代女)牛, 犛牛, ヤセイヤク, Dong, Grunzochse...

Yak_bw.GIF

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

A funny Russian Yak is known as YAK-OF-SHIRMNOFF.. meh heh...meh meh heh heh...

No? :lookaroun *sigh* Ok then :D

So.. yeah.. I doubt I will be eating at any place with the word "Yak" in its name. :hurl: :lol: :p

Tim G

We even can join theYAK forum... http://www.yakyak.org/

folder_locked_big.gif

ad347e14.jpg

Yak Milk...

Due to the high altitudes, high-protein foods figure prominently in Tibetan cuisine. And the main source of dairy protein comes from the only ruminant physically suited to live in such sparse, arid, mountainous climes: the yak.

While it would probably get the top score in the "coolest moo-cow hairdo" category, the yak is relatively unfamiliar in the West, though the long-haired bovine is the third most important purveyor of dairy in the world. Yak milk is substantially richer in fat and protein than cow milk, and for that reason Tibetans make elaborate use of yak butter in various dishes and drinks. The average cup of Jersey cow's milk yields 5.2 grams of fat and 3.9 grams of protein. The average cup of yak's milk, however, weighs in at 7 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein.

Yak Cheese...

18_3.jpg

Yak Cheese

Made in Tibet from pasteurized yak's milk. It is most likely the world's highest altitude cheese, being made at over 14,000 feet above sea level. This unique cheese has a firm texture and a complex herbal flavor, owing to the fact that the yaks graze on wild grass. It takes a full minute or two for its true flavor to unfold. At first, it has a familiar cheese taste, although it is apparent that its milk came not from a cow, goat, sheep or water buffalo, but from some other animal. Then comes hints of wildflowers, leather and even wood. It is a clean, subtle flavor that builds up to a gentle rise and then fades out into a long, slow, earthy, and, slightly funky note.
Before aging, its exterior is rubbed with a locally mined red salt called the "Tears of Droma" to assist in rind formation. The course texture of this raw salt keeps it from entering the interior of the cheese. Since grass only grows in Tibet from May to September, this cheese cannot be made year-round. However, Tibet's rich pastures, clean air and pure water create a cheese free from modern day pollutants. It also has greater nutrition than other cheeses, since the dri (a female yak) produces a milk with twice the protein and minerals of cow's milk. This cheese is not only a fine gourmet product, it is also a lifeline for the nomads of the Tibetan plateau and their unique way of life.

B0000D9N9O.01-A1M96NKOK0T3I7._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1131249886_.jpg

Nemo14

We even can join theYAK forum... http://www.yakyak.org/

folder_locked_big.gif

ad347e14.jpg

Yak Milk...

Due to the high altitudes, high-protein foods figure prominently in Tibetan cuisine. And the main source of dairy protein comes from the only ruminant physically suited to live in such sparse, arid, mountainous climes: the yak.

While it would probably get the top score in the "coolest moo-cow hairdo" category, the yak is relatively unfamiliar in the West, though the long-haired bovine is the third most important purveyor of dairy in the world. Yak milk is substantially richer in fat and protein than cow milk, and for that reason Tibetans make elaborate use of yak butter in various dishes and drinks. The average cup of Jersey cow's milk yields 5.2 grams of fat and 3.9 grams of protein. The average cup of yak's milk, however, weighs in at 7 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein.

Yak Cheese...

18_3.jpg

Yak Cheese

Made in Tibet from pasteurized yak's milk. It is most likely the world's highest altitude cheese, being made at over 14,000 feet above sea level. This unique cheese has a firm texture and a complex herbal flavor, owing to the fact that the yaks graze on wild grass. It takes a full minute or two for its true flavor to unfold. At first, it has a familiar cheese taste, although it is apparent that its milk came not from a cow, goat, sheep or water buffalo, but from some other animal. Then comes hints of wildflowers, leather and even wood. It is a clean, subtle flavor that builds up to a gentle rise and then fades out into a long, slow, earthy, and, slightly funky note.
Before aging, its exterior is rubbed with a locally mined red salt called the "Tears of Droma" to assist in rind formation. The course texture of this raw salt keeps it from entering the interior of the cheese. Since grass only grows in Tibet from May to September, this cheese cannot be made year-round. However, Tibet's rich pastures, clean air and pure water create a cheese free from modern day pollutants. It also has greater nutrition than other cheeses, since the dri (a female yak) produces a milk with twice the protein and minerals of cow's milk. This cheese is not only a fine gourmet product, it is also a lifeline for the nomads of the Tibetan plateau and their unique way of life.

B0000D9N9O.01-A1M96NKOK0T3I7._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1131249886_.jpg
Corrus - quit your yakking! :lol:

Epcot82Guy

Interesting. I will say (with what tiny shred of maturity I have) that I thought of the animal first. Although, as soon as someone brought up the verb, that will now be the initial thought. So... thanks. :mad: (kidding).

Anyway, I do hope this is representative of some of the solid, local dishes of these areas. Whether that classifies as cuisine or food on here, I'm not sure. I just hope it represents a nice cross section where people can be adventurous with their choices but in a very Disney way where it is not too threatening so that people will actually do so (sort of like Boma or many of the dishes offered at F&W).

And if they offer Mac & Yak (Cheese) I will lose it.

FigmentJedi

Do you think the Yeti living up the hill from the restaurant has the power to kill a yak from 100 yards away....

WITH MIND BULLETS

That's telekinesis, Kyle...

Kacki

Ha ha some exotic items on the menu-

Choco-Yak Milkshakes
Chilly with All-Natural Yak Cheese and Jalapeno peppers
Yak Horn (similar to elephant ears--- fried dough and fruit filling with cinnamon and sugar)
Teat Treat: Soft serve ice cream using only the best milk from lactating momma-yaks.

:D

Tim G

Ha ha some exotic items on the menu-

Choco-Yak Milkshakes
Chilly with All-Natural Yak Cheese and Jalapeno peppers
Yak Horn (similar to elephant ears--- fried dough and fruit filling with cinnamon and sugar)
Teat Treat: Soft serve ice cream using only the best milk from lactating momma-yaks.

:D
Or just plain Yak milk... that is to say... if you like pink milk... :lookaroun

CoffeeJedi

That could be very interesting if they made some dishes with yak's milk. I imagine that they would be expensive due to import costs. With any luck, they'll at least offer some yak's milk butter or cheese so us westerners can get a sample of it.

I have high hopes for this resteraunt. I LOVE spicy Asian food. Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, you name it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom