Yeti to be never fixed... solid evidence!

the-reason14

AK survived without EE when the park opened....it can certainly survive a closing for rehab of EE now.

I get tired of people using that as an excuse for Disney NOT repairing the Yeti.

There's a difference in not knowing of something, and knowing of something. Before E:E, people didn't know what they were missing so they couldn't miss it. But now since it's been opened, they'll know and I could definitely see AK's attendance taking a hit.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There's a difference in not knowing of something, and knowing of something. Before E:E, people didn't know what they were missing so they couldn't miss it. But now since it's been opened, they'll know and I could definitely see AK's attendance taking a hit.

The problem with this reasoning is that the park may take a hit, but the other three parks will absorb them....people will still be spending their money at Disney.

BigTxEars

At some point EE is going to have to have a refub like all other rides do, might as well be sooner than latter. :)

In all honesty the Yeti in it's current state has no measurable effect on attendance IMO so their is no rush on WDW to fix it IMO.

the-reason14

The problem with this reasoning is that the park may take a hit, but the other three parks will absorb them....people will still be spending their money at Disney.

This is true, but people may also venture off property as well. But they're probably already doing that.

Scuttle

AK survived without EE when the park opened....it can certainly survive a closing for rehab of EE now.

I get tired of people using that as an excuse for Disney NOT repairing the Yeti.

It's the truth though. That's the problem with building super headliner attractions. Once they are built guests expect them be there each time they come back to WDW. Of course AK survived before, but Everest gave it a huge attendance boost and closing it for 6-12 months would be a serious issue.

Magenta Panther

I agree. On my next trip, I have no intention of visiting AK, except perhaps to dine. I can miss it and NOT miss it.

Just thought of something...maybe Disney could build a whole story about the refurb...like, the Yeti escaped and tore up the site, so it's down for rebuilding while Yeti hunters try to recapture the beast. Disney uses similar whimsical explanations when refurbs are going on or changes are made to an attraction. I think something like "The Yeti Escaped!" could work. In fact, maybe, throughout the rest of AK, there could be signs that the escaped Yeti was there. Maybe footprints tracked all over Chester and Hester, or a downed tree with a sign on it saying "The Yeti Was Here! Beware! Keep on the lookout" and so on. Could be fun for the tourists and a way for Disney to make a bad situation into a story. The buildup to the Yeti's return could be huge. Just a thought.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's the truth though. That's the problem with building super headliner attractions. Once they are built guests expect them be there each time they come back to WDW. Of course AK survived before, but Everest gave it a huge attendance boost and closing it for 6-12 months would be a serious issue.

It's GOT to be done eventually. What makes later a better time than sooner?

The issue really isn't as serious as you make it out to be.

Disaddict

It's a licensing fee. Not a fee based on attendance. The amount Cameron will get varies on the amount of merchandise being bought.....

And neither have anything to do with the maintenance budget, or the fixing of the Yeti.

How in the world do you all know what James Cameron has in his contract with Disney?? LOL Give me a break. I'll concede that these deals are somewhat straightforward most of the time but why not just say that they are paying him with peanuts? No one but Disney high ups, their lawyers, Cameron, and his lawyers know what he is getting paid. LOL You all crack me up. :ROFLOL: "He's getting paid in royalties!" "No he's not! He's getting paid in merchandise sales!" LOL

You know what Walt would have done when he saw the yeti not working?

No. And neither do you. All you know is what you've seen in documentaries about Walt Disney. :rolleyes:

But there is the "expectation" of that ride in AK now. Take out that ride and it drops the number of visitors because there aren't enough attractions to handle them. They might, maybe, just may, shut it down after they debut Pandora for a few months.

Scuttle

It's GOT to be done eventually. What makes later a better time than sooner?

The issue really isn't as serious as you make it out to be.

I agree it's got to be done eventually, but I really do think it's a serious issue. I don't have attendance numbers for AK for the past 5 years, but the attendance boost was huge from what I remember reading and now with Potter the threat of losing day visits from locals or tourists deciding to skip AK to go visit Potter instead is a big threat.

WDW1974

OK, so I don't want this post to disappear ... and I don't want to play either the What Would Walt the Dead Guy Do or suggest many fanbois simply don't think very rationally.

But seriously, before anyone starts seething with deep hatred for some online Spirited presence, can someone please explain to me based on all we know about Walt Disney's feelings about quality show and doing things the right way, why ANY ALLEGED FAN would want to spend time debating/justifying why HUGE show quality misfires are somehow OK?

Can anyone do this in an adult/intellectual fashion?

Because I have spoken many times with people who knew and worked (and were/are related) with the man, and whether DAK and the yeti would exist isn't the point here ... nor is whether Avatar will have any affect on Disco Hairy Dude getting fixed (it WON'T ... it will either get fixed or not and my $$$ is on NOT). The point is whether that show quality or lack thereof is acceptable. Or any of the hugely bad show issues at WDW from Fantasmic to MK's mountain range of disasters.

Obviously, it is acceptable to TDO and TWDC management or it would have been fixed years ago.

But what does it say about the state of the fan community that people will justify it? (And to the mods, I watched/parsed my words very carefully here. It's a very legit question based on the topic.) ... But at what point is the lower quality and standards of WDW simply YOUR fault? This goes to anyone who immediately comes to management's defense (often over the indefensible) and is great at making excuses for why bad things, broken things, lesser quality things are perfectly OK with them (even though we ALL suffer from this mindset).

I met with a celebrity Imagineer at the DLH back in September (yeah, a name most of you would all know) and he basically said that the fan community is its own worst enemy and the reason why Disney doesn't even attempt to do things right in O-Town anymore. Naturally, I agree.

But will anyone here argue the point? Blame Wall Street? The economy? Having to actually pay CMs? Or my favorite 'people still come and enjoy it so why fix it' excuse?

I am just tired of people fighting against things that are in their best interest and using the type of 'logic' that one would expect from the world is flat type of thinkers.

~GFC~

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
can someone please explain to me based on all we know about walt disney's feelings about quality show and doing things the right way, why any alleged fan would want to spend time debating/justifying why huge show quality misfires are somehow ok?

Because i have spoken many times with people who knew and worked (and were/are related) with the man, and whether dak and the yeti would exist isn't the point here ... Nor is whether avatar will have any affect on disco hairy dude getting fixed (it won't ... It will either get fixed or not and my $$$ is on not). The point is whether that show quality or lack thereof is acceptable. Or any of the hugely bad show issues at wdw from fantasmic to mk's mountain range of disasters.

Obviously, it is acceptable to tdo and twdc management or it would have been fixed years ago.

But what does it say about the state of the fan community that people will justify it? (and to the mods, i watched/parsed my words very carefully here. It's a very legit question based on the topic.) ... But at what point is the lower quality and standards of wdw simply your fault? This goes to anyone who immediately comes to management's defense (often over the indefensible) and is great at making excuses for why bad things, broken things, lesser quality things are perfectly ok with them (even though we all suffer from this mindset).

I met with a celebrity imagineer at the dlh back in september (yeah, a name most of you would all know) and he basically said that the fan community is its own worst enemy and the reason why disney doesn't even attempt to do things right in o-town anymore. Naturally, i agree.

But will anyone here argue the point? Blame wall street? The economy? Having to actually pay cms? Or my favorite 'people still come and enjoy it so why fix it' excuse?

I am just tired of people fighting against things that are in their best interest and using the type of 'logic' that one would expect from the world is flat type of thinkers.

~gfc~

This !!

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
No. And neither do you. All you know is what you've seen in documentaries about Walt Disney. :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want about my assumptions on his actions but they're not based on just opinion. If you had taken the time to read the flame war you would have seen that from first hand experience from former Imagineers he was a perfectionist and there is no way in hell he would have let it go this far.

Disaddict

Roll your eyes all you want about my assumptions on his actions but they're not based on just opinion. If you had taken the time to read the flame war you would have seen that from first hand experience from former Imagineers he was a perfectionist and there is no way in hell he would have let it go this far.

So based solely on that, you know exactly how he would have handled the Yeti situation? LMAO!!!! :ROFLOL: Now that is priceless. Truly. Bravo! I swear that really gets me laughing. What other assumptions (Yes, you know what that word makes right? ;) ) can you make about the true genius Walt Disney? :rolleyes:

To the mods: Please, please, please don't close this thread. I really haven't laughed like this in a while. :wave:

Lee

Adventurer
Wait...wait...
Soemebody thinks Walt would have been ok with a non-functioning Yeti?

:eek:

This being the same company that used to close Pirates if the mayor in the well wasn't working. Or if the audio in the auction scene wasn't working. Or Mansion if Leota went 101.

It's called being "show ready."
Everest isn't, for a number of reasons.

RSoxNo1

I agree. On my next trip, I have no intention of visiting AK, except perhaps to dine. I can miss it and NOT miss it.

Just thought of something...maybe Disney could build a whole story about the refurb...like, the Yeti escaped and tore up the site, so it's down for rebuilding while Yeti hunters try to recapture the beast. Disney uses similar whimsical explanations when refurbs are going on or changes are made to an attraction. I think something like "The Yeti Escaped!" could work. In fact, maybe, throughout the rest of AK, there could be signs that the escaped Yeti was there. Maybe footprints tracked all over Chester and Hester, or a downed tree with a sign on it saying "The Yeti Was Here! Beware! Keep on the lookout" and so on. Could be fun for the tourists and a way for Disney to make a bad situation into a story. The buildup to the Yeti's return could be huge. Just a thought.

I would think that what's more likely is that the entire scene be re-worked if the Yeti can't be repaired. I would also think that this would be prime opportunity to improve other aspects of the ride, but again - just because the opportunity is there doesn't mean Disney will take it.

How in the world do you all know what James Cameron has in his contract with Disney?? LOL Give me a break. I'll concede that these deals are somewhat straightforward most of the time but why not just say that they are paying him with peanuts? No one but Disney high ups, their lawyers, Cameron, and his lawyers know what he is getting paid. LOL You all crack me up. :ROFLOL: "He's getting paid in royalties!" "No he's not! He's getting paid in merchandise sales!" LOL

Jim Hill has said as much about the contract that Cameron has with Disney...

Lee

Adventurer
LOL Jim Hill said.... LOL Tears to my eyes, really. LOL :lol::lol: How the **** would Jim Hill know?? LOL This is hilarious! I suppose Disney runs all decisions by Jim Hill? :lol: He wishes. Face it, no one but those four groups know what Disney is paying Cameron. Enough said.

Lots of people know what Disney is paying Cameron, and what it is based on. No real leap to think that Jim spoke to someone who has the figures.

It will be required to be published to the shareholders at some point. Not exactly a state secret.

Disaddict

Lots of people know what Disney is paying Cameron, and what it is based on. No real leap to think that Jim spoke to someone who has the figures.

It will be required to be published to the shareholders at some point. Not exactly a state secret.

Maybe but #1, I wouldn't trust Jim Hill for anything. #2, I am actually more amused at the specifics that are being tossed around. They aren't going to tell anyone what the contracts final payment will be. Maybe a ballpark or pretty close amount like "over $20million". But to argue about exactly what he is getting paid is just ridiculous. Besides, I have another question...who cares? :shrug:

evilzorac

OK, so I don't want this post to disappear ... and I don't want to play either the What Would Walt the Dead Guy Do or suggest many fanbois simply don't think very rationally.

But seriously, before anyone starts seething with deep hatred for some online Spirited presence, can someone please explain to me based on all we know about Walt Disney's feelings about quality show and doing things the right way, why ANY ALLEGED FAN would want to spend time debating/justifying why HUGE show quality misfires are somehow OK?

Because I have spoken many times with people who knew and worked (and were/are related) with the man, and whether DAK and the yeti would exist isn't the point here ... nor is whether Avatar will have any affect on Disco Hairy Dude getting fixed (it WON'T ... it will either get fixed or not and my $$$ is on NOT). The point is whether that show quality or lack thereof is acceptable. Or any of the hugely bad show issues at WDW from Fantasmic to MK's mountain range of disasters.

Obviously, it is acceptable to TDO and TWDC management or it would have been fixed years ago.

But what does it say about the state of the fan community that people will justify it? (And to the mods, I watched/parsed my words very carefully here. It's a very legit question based on the topic.) ... But at what point is the lower quality and standards of WDW simply YOUR fault? This goes to anyone who immediately comes to management's defense (often over the indefensible) and is great at making excuses for why bad things, broken things, lesser quality things are perfectly OK with them (even though we ALL suffer from this mindset).

I met with a celebrity Imagineer at the DLH back in September (yeah, a name most of you would all know) and he basically said that the fan community is its own worst enemy and the reason why Disney doesn't even attempt to do things right in O-Town anymore. Naturally, I agree.

But will anyone here argue the point? Blame Wall Street? The economy? Having to actually pay CMs? Or my favorite 'people still come and enjoy it so why fix it' excuse?

~GFC~

Bravo!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Exactly, not even close to a secret.

As far as how Walt would have handled the main show element of an attraction being down indefinitely. There is no way he would have allowed this to continue. From everything we know about the man, and the level of quality he demanded in all his endeavors, it is a pretty safe assumption for any reasonable person to make. I am not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom