Yeti Repair in 2009?

peterpanic74

Original Poster
For those in the know -

Any chance the Yeti will be repaired in calendar year 2009?

It seems unlikely that TDO will want to have EE and SM down for extended periods concurrently, which would imply that the Yeti will not be fixed until Space re-opens late 2008/early 2009. It would be a real shame for this amazing AA to be down for a whole other year, but at this point it's looking very possible. :(

Any thoughts?

For a whole year? Im not sure they are going to fix it period at this point

Just FYI, I dont have any inside info on this or anything...just my opinion

lebeau

I expect this to get fixed ... never.

I haven't read anything that leads me to believe Disney has any plans to ever fix the Yeti. I'm just glad I saw it while it was still working.

hokielutz

I expect this to get fixed ... never.

I haven't read anything that leads me to believe Disney has any plans to ever fix the Yeti. I'm just glad I saw it while it was still working.

I too was glad to get in a dozen rides or so while it was fully operational.

But I think it will be fixed.... its just that there are so many other projects that are happening, or are getting ready to start around WDW (SM, TTA, BLT, etc...) that killing off one of WDW's #1 rides for half a year, is not necessarily a good thing at this point in time. As of right now... the ride operation is running as it is supposed to with all effects (less mist, occasional waterfall, and occasional steam generator) working. Patrons are still enjoying the ride for the rollercoaster that it is, even without the Yeti lunging at guests in the final scene.

I think I can forsee this getting put-off until 2010 when SM is back in action. And its not likely to happen sooner unless guests start to speak, en masse, with their feet by walking away from the ride.

One possibility for the delay to leave on the table, is WDI is re-engineering the mechanical design the Yeti from scratch... so that the stress induced failure that occured, will not be repeated in Yeti Monster v2.0, via lighter materials, adjusted movements, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The ride will not have to close for the primary maintainence method proposed. It just needs management who want it fixed to make it so.

jt04

It will get fixed, it is just a question of when.

I wish I shared your confidence on that one.

I could see them leaving it in b-mode and plussing the rest of the attraction instead. Maybe a Yeti hand seen reaching around a corner at one point and some intense sound effects at another point and some glowing and menacing eyes in the dark areas. Basically create the feeling the Yeti is stalking or chasing the train. I never get that feeling now.

hokielutz

The ride will not have to close for the primary maintainence method proposed. It just needs management who want it fixed to make it so.

Is it really just maintenance... or did something actually break that is at risk of breaking again?? I've heard both sides.

GothMickey

Or management to say, HEY INSTEAD OF FIXING THE YETI, LET'S USE SCREEN TECHNOLOGY, BECAUSE NOTHING SAYS REALITY LIKE LCD SCREENS!!!!!

Lee

Adventurer
It just needs management who want it fixed to make it so.
True.
If we want it to be fixed, here is what to do:
Next time you are at AK, take the time to go to guest relations and make a complaint about the non-functioning Yeti.

While you're at it, complain about the lack of snow blowing from the peak, the mist in the caves, the steam from the trains, the other waterfall...

It won't take much of your day, and when enough of those come it, management will at least take notice. Otherwise, they will continue to give it the old "guests don't seem to care" treatment.:rolleyes:

hokielutz

It won't take much of your day, and when enough of those come it, management will at least take notice. Otherwise, they will continue to give it the old "guests don't seem to care" treatment.:rolleyes:

When you say the "Guests don't seem to care," in actuality it could be that a major portion of Disney's total # of guests don't care. Because that population of Disney's customers might be the:

1.) Once in a lifetime guests
2.) Every 5-10 years type visitor
3.) International visitors

These groups wouldn't know much about the problems with the Yeti as we do. So when polled or asked to give feedback, if ever, these folks say they had a great time on the ride, not knowing it could have been so much better.

Its just that we love the details and become disappointed when show quality drops and is not addressed.

TxStateMouse

Can someone please tell me what these modes mean? Yeti Mode A? Mode B?

Is this how the Yeti operates? :confused:

Apologies to all of you seasoned members. Thanks in advance!

Lee

Adventurer
When you say the "Guests don't seem to care," in actuality it could be that a major portion of Disney's total # of guests don't care.
Correct, which makes it all the more important that those of us who do notice, and do care, make our voices heard.:wave:

Lee

Adventurer
Can someone please tell me what these modes mean? Yeti Mode A? Mode B?
A = Normal, full operation.

B = Something is wrong. Yeti stands still and is lit by a strobe to give the illusion of movement.

Kinda makes me miss the old days, where if a major effect like that wasn't working the ride would go 101.

mcjaco

Something broke.

I still get conflicting stories on what is wrong, and I've been told at least two different stories on how he needs to be fixed. The one thing that remained constant in those stories? Disney wants him fixed, and fixed so the "broke" part doesn't happen again.

It's going to take time, but he will be fixed.

Lee

Adventurer
I still get conflicting stories on what is wrong, and I've been told at least two different stories on how he needs to be fixed. The one thing that remained constant in those stories? Disney wants him fixed, and fixed so the "broke" part doesn't happen again.

It's going to take time, but he will be fixed.
Oh, yeah...he'll get fixed. It'll happen when the finger pointing stops and they get serious about it.

DisneyDellsDude

Who should we email if we can't make it to guest relations?

And also, does anyone know what date the yeti actually broke?
It's had to have been at least a half a year.

SirGoofy

Who should we email if we can't make it to guest relations?

And also, does anyone know what date the yeti actually broke?
It's had to have been at least a half a year.

Last time i saw him working was the day of DAK's 10th anniversary. Which is way back in April. He was down everytime I went in May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom