Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Figment2005

The light leaks add to the fear factor of the ride. You're inside a mountain that has cracks, crevices and fissures that are exposed to the outside world. That means that wind, water and debris are constantly at work on those nooks and could cause a major fracture or even a cave-in at any time! The trepidation, consternation and dread are palpable.
I'll give you an A for effort.

EPCOTCenterLover

The light leaks add to the fear factor of the ride. You're inside a mountain that has cracks, crevices and fissures that are exposed to the outside world. That means that wind, water and debris are constantly at work on those nooks and could cause a major fracture or even a cave-in at any time! The trepidation, consternation and dread are palpable.
No. This doesn't work nor does it feel as if it were part of the storytelling. Sorry.

RunnerEd

After seeing all of the super high quality digital projections with the castle shows and DL's new fireworks, why would this not be a good alternative? Project a very frightening Yeti in that scene and call it a day. It's cheaper than actually fixing the AA, it can be done after hours, it would fit the original purpose of the Yeti, and it would be a drastic improvement over the disco version.

MKCP 1985

For what it's worth, EE even when in full A mode wasn't markedly different than what it is today.

I respectfully disagree with your impression. It seemed to me the yeti lunging at the car made you feel that it was really going to succeed at getting you. It was impressive and made people think "Did that just really happen? Let's ride again!"

I don't think that was only my own impression either. In the first months of operation when the yeti was working, people spontaneously broke out into clapping at the end of the ride.

Mike S

I respectfully disagree with your impression. It seemed to me the yeti lunging at the car made you feel that it was really going to succeed at getting you. It was impressive and made people think "Did that just really happen? Let's ride again!"

I don't think that was only my own impression either. In the first months of operation when the yeti was working, people spontaneously broke out into clapping at the end of the ride.
First time I rode it I ducked in my seat. The Yeti truly was a monster. Now it's a harmless little puppy.

NormC

It seemed to me the yeti lunging at the car made you feel that it was really going to succeed at getting you. It was impressive and made people think "Did that just really happen? Let's ride again!"

Yes! Hopefully he will be returned to his former glory someday.

PhotoDave219

I unfortunately experience the same feeling every time that I ride Everest. I'm a one and done rider every trip.
So I'm not the only one, eh?

That section always catches me by surprise as to how intense it is.

The last time I rode Everest, took me two weeks to recover.

About 18 months ago I rode the hulk & dueling dragons writhing 15 minutes and that ended me riding coasters for good.

toasty

About 18 months ago I rode the hulk & dueling dragons writhing 15 minutes and that ended me riding coasters for good.

I love roller coasters, but when I rode Hulk for the first time earlier this year, I was like, "Uh oh, what have I done?" Was surprised at how intense it was. Then again, I guess that's the point -- I'm just getting old, I suppose, lol.

Incomudro

I'm not a fan of the intensity wars going on with roller coasters.
Matter of fact I'm not much of a fan of the more extreme, extreme, extreme arms race of most things.
That's what makes Disney different, and that's what makes EE different.
Yeah, there are more extreme and massive rollercoaster bolted to the ground in any number of theme parks.
As far as I'm concerned - so what?
If I wanted that, I'd go for that.
EE is a journey that begins the moment you enter the park.
I'll never forget the day maybe four season ago when my family and I road it for the first time.
The goosebumps we got as we approached it.
That gap where the track bridges the mountains!
Frickin' brilliant!
If that was simply an all exposed tubular track, you'd think little of it in the grand scheme of rollercoasters.
But themed as it is - awesome!
The cue through building with it's outpost, museum theme... I absolutely love it.
Explaining it to my children as we went through was just great.
Oh, and last may my then 12 year old twin sons and I rode it 5 times in a row in little more time then it took to briskly walk through the cue.

AEfx

It's sad how many things in WDW this can be said about.

For what it's worth, EE even when in full A mode wasn't markedly different than what it is today. It was better for sure; but, even with several effects (including the headlining Yeti) down - it is still a flawed attraction in execution.

I agree, even if you and I seem to be in the minority. I honestly believe that's why they haven't put the money into fixing it, because the effect it produced wasn't good enough in A-mode to be worth the millions of dollars.

It's just in a terrible spot, you are going way too fast to appreciate it, and the wind blowing in your face causes many folks to squint anyway. I think many of the folks who disagree do so because they knew exactly where it was, where to look, and to keep your eyes open as wide as possible. I don't think that was the average guest experience.

IMFearless

I tend to agree, that segment of the ride would work much better if there was a brake section to just slow the ride vehicle down slightly on the approach to the yeti.

It's just ever so slightly too fast.

Unless you are able to do multiple re-rides or already know where to look the yeti is somewhat redundant.

It's a shame but that's just how it is.

Perhaps the yeti will be revamped for the 40th in 2021, like they did with the hatbox ghost for Disneyland.

I think that would be a realistic timeframe.

pumpkin7

First time I rode it I ducked in my seat. The Yeti truly was a monster. Now it's a harmless little puppy.

I ducked when it was broken. Only when I got home and found out about this forum did I find out that it was broken.

But yeah, I don't think it'll ever be fixed. It's just a very expensive statue. That you barely see. That you barely saw when it worked. Disco, disco, disco!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom