Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

MissMissMatched

I sure do hope he's fixed, I've never seen him before, but I've heard it was awesome!

By the way, FIRST POST! My boyfriend set this up for me, and he's actually typing this. Oh, well. :wave:

cheezbat

I have ridden this ride numerous times over...but it has not been in fully functioning A-mode since sometime in 2007. In 2008, he was temporarily in A-mode for the bigwigs...but ONLY for them. :(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hmmm, I was there in 08 and it was fully functional about two years after opening. Or it seemed to be just as functional as opening week 06. Or am I confused??
Could go either way. There have been multiple attempts to fix him so there were sporadic A mode periods during the first couple of years.

JamboJohn

I know everyone really wants the Yeti to run in "A" mode again, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news - it ain't going to happen. The Yeti himself is fine. He has had some hydraulics issues now and then but all very fixable. The main problem is not the Yeti himself. It is the concrete base he is attached to. You need to know that he moves with the same amount of trust from a 747. When the attraction was built, the concrete based was not poured correctly and was not cured properly either. After about a year, the Yeti started causing cracks in the base. This is a MAJOR safety issue (imagine Yeti crashing through the tracks as he falls from his base). The way Everest was constructed, all of the different phases were assembled in interlocking pieces. To repair the base, the attraction would literally have to be disassembled. The cost of the repair plus the loss in revenue from park goers would be tremendous.

Some may wonder how I know this... I am a former Imagineer.

JustInTime

I know everyone really wants the Yeti to run in "A" mode again, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news - it ain't going to happen. The Yeti himself is fine. He has had some hydraulics issues now and then but all very fixable. The main problem is not the Yeti himself. It is the concrete base he is attached to. You need to know that he moves with the same amount of trust from a 747. When the attraction was built, the concrete based was not poured correctly and was not cured properly either. After about a year, the Yeti started causing cracks in the base. This is a MAJOR safety issue (imagine Yeti crashing through the tracks as he falls from his base). The way Everest was constructed, all of the different phases were assembled in interlocking pieces. To repair the base, the attraction would literally have to be disassembled. The cost of the repair plus the loss in revenue from park goers would be tremendous.

I am sorry, but I don't know if I totally believe you. This has been rumored since 2007 or 08. Plus, if it were the base of the Yeti, then why do they keep covering him up when we know they are working on him? What would be the point of that? Why work on the body of the Yeti of the base was the issue?

Perhaps of you had some receipts...

JamboJohn

I am sorry, but I don't know if I totally believe you. This has been rumored since 2007 or 08. Plus, if it were the base of the Yeti, then why do they keep covering him up when we know they are working on him? What would be the point of that? Why work on the body of the Yeti of the base was the issue?

Perhaps of you had some receipts...

They still have to repair hydraulic issues occasionally just as I mentioned. As well as clean his hair and other minor things. I have been inside the mountain, I have seen the cracks with my own eyes. Believe it or not, makes no difference to me. I could go through these forums and dispel a LOT of the rumors as I have been behind the curtain and have seen the concepts and plans, both shelved and still pending but I did sign a confidentiality agreement. As far as the yeti is concerned, that is not "secret info". Everyone from Imagineering to the Environmental Services at WDW is aware of what is/has happened.

JustInTime

They still have to repair hydraulic issues occasionally just as I mentioned. As well as clean his hair and other minor things. I have been inside the mountain, I have seen the cracks with my own eyes. Believe it or not, makes no difference to me. I could go through these forums and dispel a LOT of the rumors as I have been behind the curtain and have seen the concepts and plans, both shelved and still pending but I did sign a confidentiality agreement. As far as the yeti is concerned, that is not "secret info". Everyone from Imagineering to the Environmental Services at WDW is aware of what is/has happened.

Why repair hydraulic issues on an immobile AA? Just curious. :)

disneydiva72

I knew that Yeti was either covered up or taken out when we were there last week, even tho he didn't move every time I rode it, this time we couldn't see him at all, and all the other times we could at least SEE him.

Nice to know they are at least trying to work on him.

JamboJohn

Why repair hydraulic issues on an immobile AA? Just curious. :)

Over time, the viscosity of the fluid begins to break down. It needs to be changed regularly as they do "run" the Yeti on special occasions. It is purely maintenance to keep the huge investment in working order even if they do not run him like he should for 99% of the time.

I was in the mountain because I am a lighting control designer (past projects - Kidani Village, Bay Lake Tower). I was brought in to try and come up with some concepts that would be better than the retarded strobe light that is currently being used. Unfortunately, to trigger anything fast enough didn't work out. We played with leds that completely washed out the Yeti making it almost comical and hitting incandescent, colored bulbs over and over that rapidly would just mean constantly replacing bulbs... so the strobe stayed. Unfortunate really. I am sure Joe is ed to this day!

fractal

Over time, the viscosity of the fluid begins to break down. It needs to be changed regularly as they do "run" the Yeti on special occasions. It is purely maintenance to keep the huge investment in working order even if they do not run him like he should for 99% of the time.

I was in the mountain because I am a lighting control designer (past projects - Kidani Village, Bay Lake Tower). I was brought in to try and come up with some concepts that would be better than the retarded strobe light that is currently being used. Unfortunately, to trigger anything fast enough didn't work out. We played with leds that completely washed out the Yeti making it almost comical and hitting incandescent, colored bulbs over and over that rapidly would just mean constantly replacing bulbs... so the strobe stayed. Unfortunate really. I am sure Joe is ed to this day!

That is just so depressing.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Over time, the viscosity of the fluid begins to break down. It needs to be changed regularly as they do "run" the Yeti on special occasions.

It didn't even run for the 5 year anniversary of EE. If that's not a special occasion, I don't know what is. It may have ran for special occasions at one point earlier on like you said, but according to some posters on this board that are very reliable, the Yeti hasn't ran at all for quite some time, even for special occasions. It's such a shame to just let that thing sit there like that.

JustInTime

People that say the Yeti will never be fixed are so dramatic. The yeti getting fixed is totally depending on if or when TDO decides to fix it. There are other ways than taking the mountain apart (if that is even true). Example: Build a new yeti in a different spot in the final scene.

Disney just has to want to fix it first. I have no doubt that the current yeti might not ever be fixed, but there are other ways...

NoChesterHester

The main problem is not the Yeti himself. It is the concrete base he is attached to.

Thanks for the confirmation. We have heard every possible theory from bad foundation to lack of lubrication. The foundation issue rumors were some of the first and make far more sense.

When the attraction was built, the concrete based was not poured correctly and was not cured properly either. After about a year, the Yeti started causing cracks in the base.

Surprised Disney didn't hold that contractor's feet to the fire. Very possible though. Common issue in concrete pour.

This is a MAJOR safety issue (imagine Yeti crashing through the tracks as he falls from his base). The way Everest was constructed, all of the different phases were assembled in interlocking pieces. To repair the base, the attraction would literally have to be disassembled. The cost of the repair plus the loss in revenue from park goers would be tremendous.

Again, thank you for the confirmation. Interesting. Tough fix for sure, but definitely possible. Foundations are underpinned and reinforced all the time. The shear amount of force with a dynamic structure like this probably complicates it quite a bit.

backinaction

Was there a couple days ago. It looks like they turned the yeti 90 degrees to the right. Great solution. I'm sure the TDO guys got a bonus for that great idea

GrumpyFan

I've read here and other places that there have been multiple brain-storming sessions trying to come up with a good work-around/solution. I would love to know what some of those are and which ones were at the top of the list for consideration. I also have to wonder if there is any significant down-time/maintenance planned in the near future. The attraction has been running for 6 years in April without any significant down time.

midwest_mice

I totally agree Joe has to be ed about this. Speaking of Everest, is it true that the Imagineers designed this so that there is a Hidden Mickey when viewed from satellite images?

RunnerEd

I totally agree Joe has to be ed about this. Speaking of Everest, is it true that the Imagineers designed this so that there is a Hidden Mickey when viewed from satellite images?

Yep and, just as cool or a little bit cooler; there is a hidden Oswald. Check it out on google earth or bing maps.

drew81

Any chance AK might change lighting in some of their other attractions? I feel Dinosaur fails when it comes to lighting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom