Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right from the mouth of Mr. Hanginglobe himself. Check out this video and jump to 5:45. Admittedly, he did say "that moves this fast" in his claim, but, I'm sure that was lost on many and remains a total embarrassment for the company today.

'Dynamic Figure' - not AA. Choice words to include the idea of velocity with the size. The comment is about something that big.. moving that fast. Hence also the comments about power vs 747, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't either, I just remember all that crap about it having more power than a 747, which I still don't believe btw.

It's a nice 'stat' but one of those paper stats that doesn't really mean much. The figure has huge amounts of power because it moves so quickly while so large at the same time. To move something with a large mass very quickly (and also again to stop it) takes a huge amount of force. But it's a huge amount of force for a short period, over a short distance.

It's why you try to build everything lightweight, to minimize that need. The 747 comment is plausible because it's talking about the Force required to move the yeti.. not a sustained output.

It's kind of like talking about how static electricity can reach 35k volts... which sounds insane compared to the 120V you know that can kill you in your house. But just talking about volts ignores the current.. and hence makes a bold looking stat, but doesn't really convey a full picture.

Zac Skellington

It is running with very little motion and VERY little show lighting. Went back to AK today,(my uncle gets my sisters and I passes because he works there as a animal trainer) and the yeti was definitely going, but the lighting was EXTREMELY low
I'm not doubting what you say, I just hope it isn't true. At least Disco Yeti gave me hope of a real fix...

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
I'm not doubting what you say, I just hope it isn't true. At least Disco Yeti gave me hope of a real fix...

I know, I remember thinking "OK, they'll just have the strobes on him for a month or two, then they'll get him going". Well, now he's going so I'm not grumpy about the problem anymore. In the words of the wise Peter Griffin "Do U know what really grinds my gears? YOU B MODE!"

raymusiccity

Eh, I could see it. That thing was a BEAST when it worked right.

But, yeah, I've never seen Disney claim it's the largest figure ever built. As pointed out, Disney itself has larger figures elsewhere.

The yeti was claimed to be the most powerful and fastest moving figure of its size, but never (to my knowledge) was it ever claimed that it was the largest ever built.

If size really matters, wasn't the old King Kong at Universal bigger than the Yeti? It's hard to judge, since Kong made his appearance from the waist up.

Goofyernmost

'Dynamic Figure' - not AA. Choice words to include the idea of velocity with the size. The comment is about something that big.. moving that fast. Hence also the comments about power vs 747, etc.
OK, I just misunderstood what he was getting at I guess. I knew that King Kong was huge, but, didn't have the range of motion that Yeti was supposed to have. On that point I will agree completely. Like I said, when he said it, it just sounded to me like it was the largest AA figure every built. I didn't think it any further.

To help balance off that mistake, I would like to take a bow for being one of the first to predict that before long Universal (Comcast) would be putting the brakes on spending. I didn't expect it to be this soon, however.:greedy::)

Mike S

To help balance off that mistake, I would like to take a bow for being one of the first to predict that before long Universal (Comcast) would be putting the brakes on spending. I didn't expect it to be this soon, however.:greedy::)
Don't think it's a good time for "I told you so" or to be happy about it (I don't think you personally are happy about it, just making a point). Without Universal who will give us great new experiences in a timely manner? It sure as hell won't be Disney.

Goofyernmost

Don't think it's a good time for "I told you so" or to be happy about it (I don't think you personally are happy about it, just making a point). Without Universal who will give us great new experiences in a timely manner? It sure as hell won't be Disney.
No, I'm not happy about it at all, but, it sure brings to a point why Disney has not been concerned about the boys up north on Rte 4. They knew that at some point Uni would have to take a breather and try and recoup their expenses before moving on. I don't believe that they are done yet, but, I don't think that anything that isn't already in production will be as spectacular as HP has been.

Mike S

No, I'm not happy about it at all, but, it sure brings to a point why Disney has not been concerned about the boys up north on Rte 4. They knew that at some point Uni would have to take a breather and try and recoup their expenses before moving on. I don't believe that they are done yet, but, I don't think that anything that isn't already in production will be as spectacular as HP has been.
Hopefully it's a short breather. The rumors surrounding their future plans sounded great. I would hate for them to never come to fruition.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni, I love your stuff, but, would you do an old man a favor? When you post a response would you be so kind as to quote what you are responding too. I have no idea who you are talking too or about. Thanks, a fan!
Sorry! I meant I'll ask the mountain.

Which I just did.

No Yeti movement. No surprise.

However there is a new red lighting scheme for the scene. Similar to or even the original scheme.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Wait, I missed something. Did Comcast/Uni put some things on hold or cancel them?

cheezbat

Wait, I missed something. Did Comcast/Uni put some things on hold or cancel them?
This is the current rumor.

From what I've heard, this isn't completely true. More like Uni may be scaling back spending on SOME of the attractions in development(but supposedly Kong is safe!).

We'll see in time. After all, nobody had phenomenal summers here in Orlando.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Based on my ride this morning, nothing is different. They still have the strobe and everything.

That's odd, was he moving, or did Disney decide "OK, enough people saw him move, put him back in B mode?" Or were U just used to the strobes and beleived that he wasn't going? He does move VERY little now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom