Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

elfshadowreaper

Actually the strobe light/B-mode was in place from Day 1. Along with other show-lighting changes in that cavern, it was intended to be automatically activated if a) the figure hadn't had enough time to reset before the next train came through, or b) the figure broke down.

Unfortunately it's been option b) for way too long...

-Rob

I don't see why they can't make him move, but not lunge at the cart. He could at least move his head around and they could light him properly.

dstrawn9889

I don't see why they can't make him move, but not lunge at the cart. He could at least move his head around and they could light him properly.
that may be beacuse not all AA's have the full range of actuators that a full-on A-100 would have, it was designed to roar, lunge, and swipe... it may not be emotive enough to be the 'hopper' of EE...

AEfx

You do realize that the particular attraction pictured is the old King Kong from Universal Florida, which was closed up years ago. I believe it was an original when the park opened or not long after. And yes, it was huge, bigger then the Yeti, I think. That is why I have always questioned when they (Disney) used to say that it was the biggest AA ever built. I could swear that KK was much larger and worked fine for quite a few years.

I don't remember exactly, but, it might have been that Kongfrontation was gone even before EE was built.

Yes, it closed well-before EE opened in 2006 - it was closed by the end of 2002.

I believe he was referring to it as a "copy" - as USF was unique in that it had a dedicated Kong attraction, a segment already had existed as part of USH's Studio Tour since 1986 (which is the one that burned down in 2008, leading to the new Kong attraction to be developed).

The relation to the Yeti is funny, as originally, the Yeti was supposedly to be in the center of the mountain, and you would come closer to interacting with him with the ride vehicle there. It was believed to be too similar to the encounter in Kongfrontation, so it was scrapped - though as we have pointed out (a bit ironically) Kongfrontation ended up gone long before EE was actually opened/completed.

I've always said that was the true mistake of the ride - as someone mentioned a few posts ago, the Yeti is just in a terrible position to begin with, even in A-mode it didn't have nearly the impact it could have had due to the speed of the train and timing issues with that spot. It really could have been impressive if they had gone with that first idea to have him front and center.

elfshadowreaper

The relation to the Yeti is funny, as originally, the Yeti was supposedly to be in the center of the mountain, and you would come closer to interacting with him with the ride vehicle there.

What exactly do you mean in the center of the mountain? And how would you come closer to interacting with the yeti? That sounds interesting.

Victor Kelly

a copy of a copy?
ce27b5960e364f8925d1485cd52f913a.jpg

banner_17.jpg

Honestly, Kongrontation ran longer even with breakdowns than the Yeti ever did. Knock Kong all you want, but it worked.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Yes, it closed well-before EE opened in 2006 - it was closed by the end of 2002.

I believe he was referring to it as a "copy" - as USF was unique in that it had a dedicated Kong attraction, a segment already had existed as part of USH's Studio Tour since 1986 (which is the one that burned down in 2008, leading to the new Kong attraction to be developed).

The relation to the Yeti is funny, as originally, the Yeti was supposedly to be in the center of the mountain, and you would come closer to interacting with him with the ride vehicle there. It was believed to be too similar to the encounter in Kongfrontation, so it was scrapped - though as we have pointed out (a bit ironically) Kongfrontation ended up gone long before EE was actually opened/completed.

I've always said that was the true mistake of the ride - as someone mentioned a few posts ago, the Yeti is just in a terrible position to begin with, even in A-mode it didn't have nearly the impact it could have had due to the speed of the train and timing issues with that spot. It really could have been impressive if they had gone with that first idea to have him front and center.

Well, I kinda agree actually, I think if they had made him closer to the track, his paw might actually come closer! Then then B-Mode might not look so lame, because he'd be RIGHT there and everyone see him!

DisneyGentleman

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE as HE DOES NOT MOVE.
I cringe when I hear statements like this.

What does "NOT ACCEPTABLE" imply? Do you stop visiting WDW? If you still go, you are implying that it is acceptable. If you don't go, TDO can give a mouse's behind about it.

In other words, they do what they do regardless of how we feel about it. We can stomp about, throw verbal tantrums, and get all wound up. Ultimately we are powerless in influencing their decisions.

As for the Yeti, all I can say is "strobe on".

Castle Cake Apologist

Multiple reports in another thread (and chatter from some friends) that the yeti is now functioning with limited movement. A few different people are saying that the yeti definitely has movement in its arm and may possibly also have reduced lunging functions running. They are also reporting that the strobe is off and the show lighting is turned on.

Can anybody confirm that there's any truth to this? I'm not in Orlando at the moment.

There is precedent for the yeti having multiple show modes, as it ran with limited movement into the early part of 2008 before being shut off completely. I remember never knowing which yeti we would get in late 2007/early 2008.

Last edited:

midwest_mice

Multiple reports in another thread (and chatter from some friends) that the yeti is now functioning with limited movement. A few different people are saying that the yeti definitely has movement in its arm and may possibly also have reduced lunging functions running. They are also reporting that the strobe is off and the show lighting is turned on.

Can anybody confirm that there's any truth to this? I'm not in Orlando at the moment.

There is precedent for the yeti having multiple show modes, as it ran with limited movement into the early part of 2008 before being shut off completely. I remember never knowing which yeti we would get in late 2007/early 2008.
I can confirm that he is moving. I was there last Wednesday and his arm was moving. Some people may say it was the strobe effect that made it look that way, but I work with strobe lights in the haunt industry and as a mobile deejay, and can tell the difference.

Scuttle

I can confirm that he is moving. I was there last Wednesday and his arm was moving. Some people may say it was the strobe effect that made it look that way, but I work with strobe lights in the haunt industry and as a mobile deejay, and can tell the difference.
That's just hard for me to believe that he's been working for a week and we haven't really heard any noise about it. Also strange that they'd have the strobes still on while another report says the show scene has full lighting now. What the hell is going on...

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is why I have always questioned when they (Disney) used to say that it was the biggest AA ever built

Where does Disney claim it was the BIGGEST AA ever built?

Disney itself has dinosaur AAs that should be larger. I don't recall 'size' ever being Disney's claim to fame over the yeti.

Castle Cake Apologist

That's just hard for me to believe that he's been working for a week and we haven't really heard any noise about it. Also strange that they'd have the strobes still on while another report says the show scene has full lighting now. What the hell is going on...

I've heard from a few different people that the yeti is moving and that there are no strobes. These are people that are rather familiar with the attraction and would likely know the difference. The same thing was reported first hand by different posters in a thread in general discussion, and now somebody else has posted the same in this thread. Usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

Perhaps WDI is testing the new "safer" show programming? Could also explain the variations in show lighting as they attempt to find a balance between limited movement and lighting to increase the impact of the figure as much as possible.

As I said, though, I can't personally confirm as I'm not currently in Orlando. Just passing along what I've heard from a few separate people.

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't either, I just remember all that crap about it having more power than a 747, which I still don't believe btw.

Eh, I could see it. That thing was a BEAST when it worked right.

But, yeah, I've never seen Disney claim it's the largest figure ever built. As pointed out, Disney itself has larger figures elsewhere.

The yeti was claimed to be the most powerful and fastest moving figure of its size, but never (to my knowledge) was it ever claimed that it was the largest ever built.

Goofyernmost

Where does Disney claim it was the BIGGEST AA ever built?

Disney itself has dinosaur AAs that should be larger. I don't recall 'size' ever being Disney's claim to fame over the yeti.
Right from the mouth of Mr. Hanginglobe himself. Check out this video and jump to 5:45. Admittedly, he did say "that moves this fast" in his claim, but, I'm sure that was lost on many and remains a total embarrassment for the company today. He put the emphasis on largest animated creature and not so much on speed of movement. Either way it is no longer either so why trip over words about it. Now it is the not even close to the largest non-animated creature ever built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom