Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are you an engineer or are you just assuming? Here's a clip from an episode of Modern Marvels where they talk about how all 3 systems of the ride were constructed at the same time because of the scale, none could be added before/after the others.

Youtube Link (it's time stamped to start you right where they begin talking about it) - lasts about 3 minutes or so before they change topics. This episode aired before they even showed the yeti to the public and the ride was still under construction so it's not some retro-fitted BS excuse
It has been reported by numerous sources around here that the Yeti anamatronic was installed after the mountain and track was built. His foundation/mount was built before/during.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Are you an engineer or are you just assuming? Here's a clip from an episode of Modern Marvels where they talk about how all 3 systems of the ride were constructed at the same time because of the scale, none could be added before/after the others.

Youtube Link (it's time stamped to start you right where they begin talking about it) - lasts about 3 minutes or so before they change topics. This episode aired before they even showed the yeti to the public and the ride was still under construction so it's not some retro-fitted BS excuse
I think you misunderstood. The yeti WAS added after construction of the mountain was completed. The video is simply talking about the base of the yeti was constructed at the same time as the mountain and the ride system.

edit: oops Master Yoda seems to have beat me to the punch while I was watching said video!

Tom

Beta Return
It has been reported by numerous sources around here that the Yeti anamatronic was installed after the mountain and track was built. His foundation/mount was built before/during.
I think you misunderstood. The yeti WAS added after construction of the mountain was completed. The video is simply talking about the base of the yeti was constructed at the same time as the mountain and the ride system.

edit: oops Master Yoda seems to have beat me to the punch while I was watching said video!

Correct and correct.

The early urban legend was that the foundation itself failed. But in the last several years, we've learned that it's the Yeti itself that failed. So, the "fix" is a new or repaired AA, which can be accessed via a garage door on the back of the mountain.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Correct and correct.

The early urban legend was that the foundation itself failed. But in the last several years, we've learned that it's the Yeti itself that failed. So, the "fix" is a new or repaired AA, which can be accessed via a garage door on the back of the mountain.
What I would not give for an hour with a flashlight in the yeti cave so we could actually answer the million dollar question of what is actually wrong with the thing.

Tom

Beta Return
What I would not give for an hour with a flashlight in the yeti cave so we could actually answer the million dollar question of what is actually wrong with the thing.

NO KIDDING!

Some bad bearings. Maybe a hydraulic cylinder that was undersized. Or perhaps portions of the upper steel supports that actually hold him are deflecting too much during his full range of motion. All "easy" fixes - assuming one of those is even close to reality. They just don't want to spend the money or shut down the ride.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
NO KIDDING!

Some bad bearings. Maybe a hydraulic cylinder that was undersized. Or perhaps portions of the upper steel supports that actually hold him are deflecting too much during his full range of motion. All "easy" fixes - assuming one of those is even close to reality. They just don't want to spend the money or shut down the ride.
Didn't we hear something about lack of lubrication awhile back or was that just JT's ramblings?

Tom

Beta Return
Didn't we hear something about lack of lubrication awhile back or was that just JT's ramblings?
That was my rambling. Based on some as yet unconfirmed information.

And on the 8th day, the Lord became bored with His rest and bestowed upon the Earth a can of WD40 and a roll of Duct Tape.

But really, how many mechanical engineers does it take to build an AA which doesn't suffer from arthritis on Day 1?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's safe to assume the engineering related to the movement is the problem. There is no point in replacing bearings, cylinders, etc if they will just self-destruct again and potentially hurt people when they fail. Someone screwed up with the dynamic loads or material science. Else it would just be a matter of 'need parts, and downtime'. There has to be fundamental flaws that are keeping them from operating him. It's too high profile to simply try to sweep under the rug. Internally someone must have a bullet point no one dares challenge for it to be down this long. Like safety risk.

Alas probably what will happen is they will wait till the ride's first significant overhaul cycle.. then close the ride for that, and just remove the yeti effect all together at that time and replace with something far more conservative.

C.FERNIE

Its actually been so long now since i actually saw the yeti working in A mode i can not even remember what it looks like, animal kingdom is starting to fall apart ! :(

Tom

Beta Return
I think it's safe to assume the engineering related to the movement is the problem. There is no point in replacing bearings, cylinders, etc if they will just self-destruct again and potentially hurt people when they fail. Someone screwed up with the dynamic loads or material science. Else it would just be a matter of 'need parts, and downtime'. There has to be fundamental flaws that are keeping them from operating him. It's too high profile to simply try to sweep under the rug. Internally someone must have a bullet point no one dares challenge for it to be down this long. Like safety risk.

Alas probably what will happen is they will wait till the ride's first significant overhaul cycle.. then close the ride for that, and just remove the yeti effect all together at that time and replace with something far more conservative.

This is a very good synopsis, and good points made. You are (sadly) probably right about the ultimate "fix". It's still a shame they spent who knows how much money on that thing, and half-assed the design.

Its actually been so long now since i actually saw the yeti working in A mode i can not even remember what it looks like, animal kingdom is starting to fall apart ! :(

I have to points to make with your last phrase. You mention how long the Yeti has been broken, and then say the park is "starting" to fall apart. If the Yeti were the guideline for AK, it started falling apart years ago.

However, of all the parks, AK is the youngest and it shows. While the park personally doesn't entertain me much, it is in overall better shape than the other three parks. Of course, the fewer rides and attractions you have, the fewer opportunities for failure you have.

Now, if they would just repair that cracked pavement they have everywhere :lookaround:

Lee

Adventurer
Dude...you have no idea the packing I've done/doing....:confused:
(Score! Found an Alien Encounter alien action figure, still in the package, hiding in a closet!)

Also found one of these, I'd forgotten about...
220943596.jpg

RSoxNo1

So Lee, was your source on the lubrication issue incorrect? Are we back to the point now where it's somewhat unknown what the true issue is?

Lee

Adventurer
So Lee, was your source on the lubrication issue incorrect? Are we back to the point now where it's somewhat unknown what the true issue is?
I have no idea. Nobody has come forward to prove it incorrect, but by the same token nobody has proven it true.
We still don't know anything for sure...

Tom

Beta Return
I have no idea. Nobody has come forward to prove it incorrect, but by the same token nobody has proven it true.
We still don't know anything for sure...

I think they're just whistling and stalling....hoping that enough generations will expire that anyone riding EE will have never realized the Yeti once moved. And then they'll be home free.

Given that it's been this long, there really are only three possible solutions:

1) They know what the problem is; it's going to cost a fortune; and they're just stalling.

2) They still don't know what the real problem is, and they're stalling.

3) They know what the problem is; and they're waiting for AK to have something to offset the loss of use...or for EE's inevitable massive refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom