Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Chef Mickey

Its not that we complain because we want DAK out of The World. We complain because we, as cheesy as it sounds, want the best from it. It seems reasonable to say that most DisneyParks fans seem pleased with the content at the other offerings WDW has. When we show up at DAK, its fun for a little while, but to many serves little more than to be a day walking around a park. There simply isn't enough to do to pull in a full day.

I don't think I've ever given DAK more than a half day, and its not that I haven't tried. There just isn't enough to do. And when we have Epcot, MK, and DHS as nearby alternatives, more often than not they are the more intriguing option.

One day, DAK will be plussed to a point where we'll have to stay there longer. More importantly, it will be plussed to a point where we'll WANT to stay there longer. I will welcome that day, whenever it comes.
While I agree they need more "things to do," a half day is a joke at AK. To me, that is just breezing through the details because you've "seen it." I've seen practically every square inch at WDW during my time, but I always want to see it again. That's half the fun. I want to see the things from Nepal around EE. I want to see Festival of the Lion King, It's Tough to be a Bug, KS, walk the trails, and just enjoy looking at things around the park. Disney spends a lot of time in the details and you can always find something new.

One of the things I like about Disney is just walking around and enjoying the theming, music, flowers, and smells. I actually like that it's not just a day of ride, ride, ride. Sadly, it's what people want and I DO agree AK needs a few more attraction. I also agree they need to keep the rides up to 100% working order. There are areas of improvement to be made, but sometimes the past is remembered through rose-colored glasses. I am guilty of it too. As for AK, I still say it's a young park with a lot of potential to grow. Disney thinks in terms of 10, 20 years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And with the Florida Res seasonal pass, you have to pay for parking, which makes it a much less attractive offer IMO.
True but it is also about 30% less than a regular AP. If you live 1/2 an hour away and go every other weekend then it is of course little good to you. But, if you go just a few days per year, stay at Disney resorts, and/or have to purchase several of them they are quite a value compared to a full AP.

flavious27

That's a big problem to me with that park. Not enough to do, so for all the people coming in, they crowd the attractions and shows. And the fact that there's so few indoor attractions really amps up the tension between guests. On top of that, like I have stated in other posts, there is not enough variety of rides...the park could use another thrill ride or two, but it really needs some dark rides that everyone can enjoy. If DAK would add another land and maybe 2 big E tickets and 3 or 4 smaller C or D tickets, I think the park would be in MUCH better shape.

Well yeah, a $200+ million renovation should put any park in a much better shape.

flavious27

I think that is what seperates AK from a zoo. You cannot guarantee an animal's whereabouts and disposition on a day to day basis. You may be guaranteed to see an animal at a regular zoo because it sits in a 10X10 cage or has maybe a half an acre behind a wide open fenced off patch of land.

I have seen my fair share of zoos, and the AK gives it's animals the greatest amount of mobility and land to roam.

Granted I have not seen all the zoos in the county so there are probobly some out there which gives them due space but I would doubt as highly themed and authentic.

BTW, I have been to the drive thru safaris at six flags/great adventure and have had my vinyl roof torn off the top of my car by baboons(circa 1979).

For me one of the differences between AK and a zoo is that AK doesn't smell like the big cat building at the philly zoo.

Brian Noble

And with the Florida Res seasonal pass, you have to pay for parking, which makes it a much less attractive offer IMO.
Also true of the one-day passes, which is what it was compared to. If you go more than three times a year on single-day tickets, the seasonal pass pays off.

flavious27

I may be a Disney apologist, but I am genuinely sad to see all the complaining and negativity surrounding Disney and their ability to realize AK's potential.

Do I agree there could be more to do at AK and better execution on some fronts? Of course, but it's still an amazingly beautiful park with diverse animals, rides, and shows. They do need more, but this park is still young. Something this big evolves.

Unfortunately, I have noticed some cost cutting and failure to maintain detailed effects. That can be cleaned up, but Disney has such an enormous operation, it gets difficult and cost ineffective. The problem I see is that there are so many details, it's hard to keep up with them in a cost effecient manner. At the end of the day, they answer to shareholders and fixing things that don't affect park attendance get put aside. For me, it doesn't take away from the experience because they do so many things well.

The competition might do a few things better, but for me, Disney remains high above the rest overall.

I would not take it too hard with what people are saying about Disney's ability to have dak built and maintained at a Disney level. We are commenting because we want dak to be better than what it has been, because we want to enjoy the experience and return with the same level of enjoyment.

I think that most of us here want wdw to be an even more immersive resort that has many gates, large and small, that are artistically correct and lengthen their vacation. At the same time we do know that tdo and wdi's budgets are not endless and our every wish, like a 50 mile monorail system, can not be completely fulfilled.

flavious27

Well, the days I've been to AK were very hot and humid (which was why I was there...again, all those lovely shade-providing trees!). Maybe the animals I missed were sitting in the shade, cooling off, somewhere away from the major tourist trails. Anyway, I was very underwhelmed by the Kilimanjaro Safari. Didn't see many critters both times I rode it, and I thought the storyline was kind of meh, frankly. I did see tigers in the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and the buildings there are beautiful and very atmospheric, but still...sorry to gripe again, but to me it's all just a very elaborate zoo, and I guess I expect something else from a Disney park, more fantasy, I suppose. Still, the theming in AK is amazing, and it is a fun place to walk through. And I understand that AK is a young park, and that more attractions will no doubt be added in time. I hope they're fantasy-themed, rather than nature-themed, though, as per the original Everest attraction...

I think that BK would have fulfilled the fantasy aspect of the park for the adults while dinoland offers some fantasy for the younger set. I believe that a south american land would also be able to bring some fantasy aspect,with the proper attractions and theming.

I can see an open ranch with bulls and cows that would represent the cattle ranching in Argentina and Brazil, it would also allow a Fogo de Chão like restaurant to be built (using imported beef, so not to incur peta's wrath). In the middle of the land would be a mountain range styled like the Andes. The mountain would be where a wre style ride would be the showcase. One side of the mountain would be rocky and arid which would be where the mine ride would run; another side would be modeled like a rainforest and be the place of a water ride. An aerial lift would bring guests to the queues of the two rides while also a C or D ticket ride that would be modeled on the penguins that live in the bottom portion of the continent, this ride and the queues would be hosted in the middle of the mountain. The aerial lift would not run through the middle of the mountain like the old skyway at DL with the Matterhorn, but reach the top to give guests a stunning view of the resort.

Dinoman96

You know, I always say Disney is the problem here. Come to think of it, it's not. The real problem is Team Disney Orlando. IMO they have become a bunch of lazy retards that don't know how to maintain/run a theme park half the time.

You look at other criticised parks, like Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure, are actually expanding and fixing their mistakes. Never in a million of years would I expect TDO to do such a thing.

Ok so maybe they're making FL prettier, but here comes my next point: Is there really anything new at the FL remake? All I know is that the new two rides are what we've seen before: A small coaster and a dark ride. Compare that to how at Islands of Adventure, Forbidden Journey uses a new mechanic that hasn't been seen on any other dark ride (The robot arm).

and TDO don't seem to be good at their upkeep either. Of course, there's the yeti, and lot of the effects in Dinosaur, and in the topic about how Hopper was missing from the DAK version of ITTBAB, someone mentioned how the version at DCA gets usual mantaince, but DAK's version hasn't gotten one inawhile, if at all. Meanwhile, lot of IOA's ancient effects (Like the water vortex, the exploding shack, Triceratops Encounter, and so forth) have been coming back.

So yeah, I think Disney is doing fine. It's just TDO that is the issue.

flavious27

I think what sets AK apart from the other parks is that it doesn't represent idealized reality. It's design is based on realism. That makes it different from the other Disney parks. Not worse, just different.

Agreed, dak is a zoo no matter how it is themed or planned. This means it is going to be about importing guests into a simulated, realistic environment instead of designing a faux, show environment that is controlled.

flavious27

I don't see DAK as a half-day. Not for me. I love the theme. I could just enjoy walking around in that park taking photos and be completely satisfied. I also really enjoy the shows. Lion King and Nemo are among the best shows in all of WDW. I don't get to go enough to cheat myself out of those experiences.

Before me and my wife avoided dinoland, camp mouse and the shows so by 3 we would end up in the bambo, monkey castle after visiting most of the attractions. When we visit next time with our dd, dak would be more of a full day park.

flavious27

If I had to pay that I wouldn't go to AK (or HS) very often either. But I've never bought a 1-day ticket. I buy a 7, 8, or 9 day hopper ticket and the extra couple of days for AK and HS cost something like $4 each.

Agreed, I doubt that anyone is going to go to dak as a day trip, it will be part of a multiple day vacation. If someone is going to day trip to dak, they are going to have an ap.

flavious27

You know, I always say Disney is the problem here. Come to think of it, it's not. The real problem is Team Disney Orlando. IMO they have become a bunch of lazy retards that don't know how to maintain/run a theme park half the time.

You look at other criticised parks, like Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure, are actually expanding and fixing their mistakes. Never in a million of years would I expect TDO to do such a thing.

Ok so maybe they're making FL prettier, but here comes my next point: Is there really anything new at the FL remake? All I know is that the new two rides are what we've seen before: A small coaster and a dark ride. Compare that to how at Islands of Adventure, Forbidden Journey uses a new mechanic that hasn't been seen on any other dark ride (The robot arm).

and TDO don't seem to be good at their upkeep either. Of course, there's the yeti, and lot of the effects in Dinosaur, and in the topic about how Hopper was missing from the DAK version of ITTBAB, someone mentioned how the version at DCA gets usual mantaince, but DAK's version hasn't gotten one inawhile, if at all. Meanwhile, lot of IOA's ancient effects (Like the water vortex, the exploding shack, Triceratops Encounter, and so forth) have been coming back.

So yeah, I think Disney is doing fine. It's just TDO that is the issue.

The problem with tdo is the same as the management at gm, they had a reliable cash flow and their bonuses were made higher when they increase profits as much as possible. So we get gift shops at the end of every ride to increase revenue; then less money is being spent on maintenance, ride development and other expenses to grow profits even more.

cheezbat

The problem with tdo is the same as the management at gm, they had a reliable cash flow and their bonuses were made higher when they increase profits as much as possible. So we get gift shops at the end of every ride to increase revenue; then less money is being spent on maintenance, ride development and other expenses to grow profits even more.

And this here is a major problem at WDW...and with many large companies. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer...and the theme park lovers get nothing new. :ROFLOL:

UrbanDonovan

Not to get offtrack here, but I remember reading some posts many pages back about the authenticity of EE's queue and setting and, boy, is it authentic. Of course, I didn't realize this until just yesterday when I was watching a documentary about the mountaineer who found the body of George Mallory on Everest 75 years after his death. When they showed video of a monastery and small village at the base of Everest, I really, for a short second, thought I was looking at the Asia section of AK.

Of course, I could really care less if it is themed so minutely. I'm one of those who just likes a great ride. But, it does show you how extensively WDI and Joe Rhode went into the details. But, maybe that's not a good thing, as some posters have brought up.

zooey

But, it does show you how extensively WDI and Joe Rhode went into the details. But, maybe that's not a good thing, as some posters have brought up.

How could this NOT be a good thing? I don't understand this. Disney's greatness is in the details. What you're really saying is that if you had to choose, you'd take a great ride over minutia. Why the arbitrary either/or? Disney can have both, and I would argue that they are both equally important to a classic ride.

Bolna

And this is part of the problem, if it's marketed as just a zoo the price is astronomical, if it's marketed as a theme park, there's less to do. The people that go to the Animal Kingdom typically fall into these three categories

1. Those that like the rides
  2. Those that like the shows
  3. Those that like the animal exhibits
It's rare that someone fits into all 3 categories and as a result it's not a full day park. Even fitting into two of these categories it's tough to get a full day's worth of value. Personally, I enjoy all 3 so I feel I get my value out of the day at the Animal Kingdom.

Comparitively, Epcot can be viewed similarly
  1. Those that enjoy shopping
  2. Those that enjoy dining
  3. Those that enjoy rides

I like your analysis and I think you point out something very important: every park offers something unique and combined they make a great package. I think none of the parks at WDW is still truly a stand alone park, they all live from the fact that they compliment each other. Even the MK feels a bit empty if you compare it with Disneyland which had to survive on its own for such a long time.

The WDW package spreads everything out much more than it is at Disneyland and this is why the one day admission price value seems to be so bad. WDW is meant to be enjoyed during several days. As others have pointed out the purpose of AK was to make people take longer trips to WDW, not trying to get day visitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom