Yeti indeed in new position on EE

LoriMistress

edwardtc, i agree with you for the most part. I just can't comprehend how Disney would put the cart before the horse. You're spending millions to build an attraction, but they never thought about how much stress the Yeti/Mountain/Tracks would have an effect with each other, and they placed the Yeti knowing that it will break down, and would be difficult to repair. :confused:

Rob562

While they are indeed separate structures the support structure for the yeti can not simply not be removed and replaced like a wheel on a car. The only plus that this yields is that is isolates the problem to one structure and not the entire mountain.

The other thing to remember is that the Yeti wasn't installed until construction was close to completion. So the bulk of the mountain and ride structures were already in place before the Yeti arrived.

It stands to reason that unless the problem lies with the foundation itself, they could (easily or not-so-easily) work backwards from how he was installed into the mountain in order to remove him, if need-be.

-Rob

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The other thing to remember is that the Yeti wasn't installed until construction was close to completion. So the bulk of the mountain and ride structures were already in place before the Yeti arrived.

It stands to reason that unless the problem lies with the foundation itself, they could (easily or not-so-easily) work backwards from how he was installed into the mountain in order to remove him, if need-be.

-Rob
I would venture to guess that both are in some way broken.

Ziffell

Just to clarify... the chant was brief (and not THAT loud). I don't believe any other guests were annoyed.

Well, as stated in your original post (quoted below in it's entirety), you "were pretty loud" and seemed proud of the fact that you got your whole family of 8 to chant "FIX THE YETI!". 8 people chanting pretty loudly would certainly not go unnoticed by any means. It just seems like you were proud of how loud you were, but are now downplaying it.

You also stated that "most people looked at us with blank stares" in response. Do you not see how your group probably just came across as being obnoxious and that it accomplished absolutely nothing other than that? Just asking because a lot of people on here tend to complain about that very behavior. Is it okay to do it because you believe you're advancing your "cause" and believe that it will result in the yeti getting repaired as a result?

I was in the world last week. I got my entire family (8 of us) to chant "FIX THE YETI!" as the ride concluded. We were pretty loud. Most people looked at us with blank stares but some of the cast members smiled at us knowingly.

DiPSU224

I know everyone on here is furious that the Yeti hasn't been working right for years, but it appears that everyone is stuck in the "anger" stage of grief, and has been for far too long.

It's believed that the Yeti is causing undue stress upon the mountain itself - far beyond what the Structural Engineers accounted for, even in their probable 200% design safety factor.

They designed and built a giant moving "lever" (physics term) that's attached to the structural skeleton of a building (that's what the mountain really is). They THOUGHT they had accounted for the loads, stresses and forces when they designed the thing, but it appears now that they failed.

Fixing a problem like this takes a massive amount of research, analysis, investigation and re-design. They could have probably solved the problem a lot faster if they shut the entire ride down for a few months, but then everyone on here (and all the guests) would be screaming that they shut it down. So instead, they get their flashlights and climb in there after hours to look at things, run tests, take samples, etc.

It doesn't help matters any that they put the Yeti in what appears to be an inaccessible spot, or at least one that makes it almost impossible to replace/repair. This goes back to a lack of planning in the beginning.

If everyone wants to be mad at someone, be mad at the people who originally designed the ride. They failed. Joe got his way, and he has a giant monster inside a believable mountain - but function gave way to aesthetics (Architects/Visionaries always win over Engineers) and now we're left with a mess.

Re-engineering something that's already part of a building, and repairing something that's inside a steel cage is a daunting task. They have to analyze this problem from the foundation up to the Yeti, and re-calculate the stresses applied to each and every steel member in the building before they can even begin to propose a solution.

And for all we know, maybe they HAVE proposed a solution, and it's going to cost $25 million and force the ride to close down for 6 months. And maybe, if that's the case, Disney is taking a hit on the broken Yeti while allowing one of very few E-tickets in AKL to stay open.

Nobody knows, but we're quick to yell and point fingers at the people (i.e. CMs and Guest Services) who are quite aware of the problem but who have absolutely NO say or control in what is being done about it. I'm pretty sure the people responsible for the fix are well aware of the situation, and aren't going to risk skipping important steps in order to make some Facebook fans happier for 5 minutes.

Just my two cents.

Using thought and logic in a post? I don't believe that is allowed here on the wdwmagic boards anymore....:rolleyes:

I can understand the anger and disappointment in Disney for something as amazing as EE to not be anywhere near 100% but seeing people throw temper tantrums over thinking Disney is letting this attraction rot is getting old. We don't know a single thing about the complex design or what it takes to fix it. I do understand the frustration though in that people want answers to know at least there is some attempt being made at fixing it.

Thank you for your well thought out post! :sohappy:

pax_65

I can understand the anger and disappointment in Disney for something as amazing as EE to not be anywhere near 100%

The underlying frustration is the belief that Disney has slipped or is slipping, and that the magic we all love in Disney parks is fading, such that Disney will become "just another amusement park" like Universal or Six Flags.

After my most recent trip I don't believe that - overall the parks were in amazing condition and the level of service I received was right where I would expect it to be for Disney. I can't even complain about the bus service.

Still I am puzzled by EE and wonder why Disney is allowing it to remain in the condition it's in. Knowing corporations as I do, I'm fairly certain that there's a cost-benefit analysis going on - how much it costs to fix versus the benefit gained by fixing it... which is what exactly? Would fixing the Yeti bring more people into the park?

Since most people have no idea, the answer is probably no.

I want to see Disney fix it because it's the right thing to do to maintain Disney standards, but that might not be a good enough reason to fix it, especially if the cost of repair is high.

_Scar

The underlying frustration is the belief that Disney has slipped or is slipping, and that the magic we all love in Disney parks is fading, such that Disney will become "just another amusement park" like Universal or Six Flags.

After my most recent trip I don't believe that - overall the parks were in amazing condition and the level of service I received was right where I would expect it to be for Disney. I can't even complain about the bus service.

Still I am puzzled by EE and wonder why Disney is allowing it to remain in the condition it's in. Knowing corporations as I do, I'm fairly certain that there's a cost-benefit analysis going on - how much it costs to fix versus the benefit gained by fixing it... which is what exactly? Would fixing the Yeti bring more people into the park?

Since most people have no idea, the answer is probably no.

I want to see Disney fix it because it's the right thing to do to maintain Disney standards, but that might not be a good enough reason to fix it, especially if the cost of repair is high.

Universal is not an amusement park! :brick:

NiarrNDisney

Hey all :wave: I'm not sure if its been discussed but I rode EE Tuesday (May 04) and the bird and Waterfalls were all working. the Strobe light effect was still in use on the Yeti :(

pax_65

Are you seriously putting Universal in the same category as Six Flags?:veryconfu

No... didn't mean that, just meant that it isn't on the same level as Disney. In truth, I see Universal improving and Disney slipping to the point that one day soon they could be nearly on the same level, with other traditional amusement parks like Six Flags far below them both.

IWant2GoNow

Hey all :wave: I'm not sure if its been discussed but I rode EE Tuesday (May 04) and the bird and Waterfalls were all working. the Strobe light effect was still in use on the Yeti :(

Did you happen to notice if the steam from the trains were working as well? If so, that's probably the first time in a long time so many effects have worked at the same time.

Also, was the Yeti still staring at his feet?

zweltar

I wonder why Disney would let an effect that they spent so much money on fail so completely? I mean, they made a big deal out of the 3 structures in EE: mountain, coaster rail, yeti frame. Now one of those main features isn't working at all. Seems like an epic fail on the show front.

jmuboy

I'm not sure WDI can fix the Yeti if they can't even fix a fake waterfall. Its just a pump and gravity. Not sure why that is so complex.

hokielutz

I'm not sure WDI can fix the Yeti if they can't even fix a fake waterfall. Its just a pump and gravity. Not sure why that is so complex.

Keep in mind that waterfalls are a very powerful force... what if the mountain structure that the water was cascading on... was actually deteriorating faster than anticipated? Even natural rock formations will decay and deform over time because of the continual force of falling water on its surface.

Not an excuse... just a possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom