Yeti indeed in new position on EE

IWant2GoNow

Anyone been on E:E lately? Just wondering if he's still in "D Mode" for "disappointing". Or did they finally right him to "B Mode" again?

IWant2GoNow

About to send off an e-mail to guest services as well as my snail mail. Has anyone else e-mailed/snail mailed?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Dustin Lewis from Akron, OH and I've been an avid Disney fan since I was a small child. I just turned 28 and have made at least 12 trips to Walt Disney World within my lifetime. I've constantly praised your parks in the highest regard to all of my friends and relatives who haven't gone, or haven't been in a while. I've recently joined a Disney World forum on the Internet and enjoy my time talking to other Disney fans about the parks and things to come. One issue that I personally am confused about is the Yeti animatronic at the end of Expedition: Everest in the Animal Kingdom. I was lucky enough to be in Animal Kingdom the year of this ride's debut and was generally awe struck by the giant Yeti moving wildly at the end and taking a swipe at our train car. I raved about this to my friends who hadn't gone to see it yet. Much like the way a lot of Disney's advertising shows the Yeti in full motion, I described just how cool this show element was to witness in person. However, since that year I have taken 2 trips down, and both times the Yeti has been in a state of disrepair. Even a friend of mine that I told about the ride was confused as to why I thought the encounter with the Yeti was so mind-blowing. I had to try and defend myself saying that it worked differently the first time I rode it. Having read some articles about the issue, I'm starting to worry a lot about this attraction. It seems a lot of effects have been shut off or don't always work correctly. Some of these being the waterfalls, snow mist, the bird at the top of the broken track, and also steam from the trains themselves. Some may not notice these "background" effects as much, but the one glaring factor is that the Yeti who has you amped up and almost afraid to meet throughout the whole queue is in shambles. The once mighty and fierce audio-animatronic is reduced to a strobe light and a fan? I feel that this is extremely poor show and is definitely not up to the Disney standard. I hear numerous reports of first time riders not even seeing the Yeti in the last scene and I feel that that is an insult to the Imagineers who constructed such a wonderful Disney experience. It has almost been 3 years since the Yeti has been in full working order and I believe it's time that Disney addresses the situation to the public and the fans. We are all very confused as to why Disney would let a ride depreciate so quickly without doing some sort of refurbishment. Please do what you can about this once spectacular ride or at the very least address the situation and allow the fans and supporters to know what you are planning or not planning to do about it. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Dustin Lewis

fosse76

Your opening line would be enough for me to trash it. Don't go through the histrionics, they don't care. Don't mention fan forums, the internet, your friends, etc. It just reads like a fan rant that they know not to take seriously. The following would probably be better, though I doubt you'll get any more than a standard response before it's filed in the trash.

Dear Sir or Madam:

After a recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom, I am disappointed at the state of the effects on Expedition: Everest. Having experienced all the effects first-hand when the attraction originally opened, it appears that they are either broken or turned-off with no explanation. With the high cost of admission to the parks at the Walt Disney World Resort, I don't feel that I am experiencing the best that Disney has to offer. It is my sincere wish, as a repeat guest [annual passholder, etc.] that the problems be addressed so that I and others can enjoy this attraction as it originally operated with all effects working.

IWant2GoNow

Your opening line would be enough for me to trash it. Don't go through the histrionics, they don't care. Don't mention fan forums, the internet, your friends, etc. It just reads like a fan rant that they know not to take seriously. The following would probably be better, though I doubt you'll get any more than a standard response before it's filed in the trash.

Dear Sir or Madam:

After a recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom, I am disappointed at the state of the effects on Expedition: Everest. Having experienced all the effects first-hand when the attraction originally opened, it appears that they are either broken or turned-off with no explanation. With the high cost of admission to the parks at the Walt Disney World Resort, I don't feel that I am experiencing the best that Disney has to offer. It is my sincere wish, as a repeat guest [annual passholder, etc.] that the problems be addressed so that I and others can enjoy this attraction as it originally operated with all effects working.

Straight to the point, makes sense. I just feel like anything I write is going to be trashed anyway so I don't care how long or short it is. I definitely don't see my one letter doing any good. Now if there were more people sending stuff in..... who knows. It's so sad that America has completely lost the "one person can make a difference" attitude. Instead it's more like "one person can make it worse so don't do anything ever".

RSoxNo1

Just a word of advice about sending letters to companies as large as Disney. When you send a huge block of text like that it's going to be skimmed.

Break up the text into something that's a bit more digestible for someone that's reading it.

WDWhumanmap

BTW we all refered to it as Betty the Yeti at cast opening and onward I don't know if it stuck around:shrug:, I know it did for as along as I was a cm bc thats even how they radioed everest was down. :snore: Though now I don't know if its the ride 100% or the yeti:ROFLOL: poor betty:rolleyes:. We still love you!:animwink: I even saw an interview with Rhodes and he called it Betty but call it what you want. :wave:

IlikeDW

Got bored tonight and started thinking about Everest.
It annoyed me to the point I did something I never planned to do...I wrote a blog about it. More like a long-winded rant that may or may not make sense.

Here it is:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/blog.php?b=589

Read it if you want. Link to it. Spread it around. Maybe it'll eventually fall into the hands of someone who cares and can do something.

I actually kinda liked writing it. I may start doing it on a regular basis, so long as the consensus isn't that I suck at it too much.:lol:

So I sent an email to wdw resort guest services after you wrote your blog, I wrote my part and included your blog also. Yesterday I got a voice mail from a lady who's voice-mail said she was with wdw executive offices. I called her back today. She apologized for the delay in responding, that she called and spoke with operations of the attraction because she did not want to just give me a bunch of fluff. She told me that they are aware of the state of the Yeti and are in the midst of redesign, that the issue was much more complex than they original realized and would take longer than anticipated to correct, possibly over a year. She went on to explain that the mist effect was turned off because it was obstructing the view of the safety cameras and they are looking to relocate the effect.

take it for what you will, I at least respect the fact they took the time to call me and acknowledge there was a problem.

Lee

Adventurer
She told me that they are aware of the state of the Yeti and are in the midst of redesign, that the issue was much more complex than they original realized and would take longer than anticipated to correct, possibly over a year.
That's funny.:rolleyes:
He's been broken to some degree since 2007, so it's taken three years to correct it.
Her reply makes it seem like it just happened.
:ROFLOL:

Decent of them to respond, even if it is with a good degree of spin.

IlikeDW

That's funny.:rolleyes:
He's been broken to some degree since 2007, so it's taken three years to correct it.
Her reply makes it seem like it just happened.
:ROFLOL:

Decent of them to respond, even if it is with a good degree of spin.

is the part about the mist and the cameras something that holds water or is that pure spin?

IWant2GoNow

Just a follow up to the e-mail I sent Guest Services. Here's the PR fluff I got back in response.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I am very sorry for the disappointment you experienced at Expedition
Everest. I wanted to personally assure you that your feedback has been
taken seriously and let you know how much we appreciate your comments.
Our Guests' feedback allows for our continual growth and the
preservation of the magic Walt Disney dreamed about. 12 p.m. and 7 p.m.
EST should you have any questions.

Mr. Lewis, thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback."

So I sent back a reply with a couple questions:

"Dear Julie,
Thanks so much for getting back to me about this matter. I do have a few quick questions about the Everest situation. Is this something that guests inquire about frequently and is anything being done to solve the problem? Also, if you're able to say, will my letter be passed along through the company or will it just be tallied up with other Everest complaints? Thanks very much for the response and I do hope that Disney is able to get the attraction back to its former glory. Once again, thanks for your time.
Sincerely,
Dustin"

And received this back, which really doesn't answer a whole lot and actually makes it sound like they changed Everest into a "new experience".

"Dear Mr. Lewis,

Thank you for your message regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We truly appreciate your comments. Although we understand your
disappointment with the recent changes at Expedition Everest, we are
committed to providing our Guests with new experiences, which
incorporate enhanced story elements and technologies into existing Guest
favorites. From time to time, we make adjustments to our offerings.
This is in keeping with Walt Disney?s vision for continuing to grow and
evolve giving Guests a mixture of familiar and new experiences with each
visit. You may also be assured that your observations have been shared
and taken seriously.

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
products and services, is very important to us. We genuinely appreciate
the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,
Julie July"

I figured I wouldn't get anything resolved this way so I'll let you all know if I hear anything back about the snail mail I sent, but I doubt it.

RiversideBunny

Here's what she really wanted to say:

"Thanks for your email, Mr. Lewis. I work here in this cramped office answering complaints like yours. They wont' let me tell you the real truth; I just have to say, 'Thank you and have a nice day'.
I'd really like to tell you that I know for a fact the the Yeti has an engineering flaw and we had to put it into B mode so it wouldn't destroy itself and the supporting structure.
It's going to be a big project to fix it and will require that the Expediton Everest attraction be down for quite a while. It's a very popular attraction that we really don't won't to close right now over something that most of the guests don't notice. So we're waiting for a general overall refurb, maybe in 5 years or so, and at that time we'll fix the Yeti so he can operate in A mode and then we'll also spruce up the attraction overall.
I know you probably won't think this is a great answer but we feel that honesty attracts loyal guests.
Do have a nice day, though.

Sincerely, your Disney friend,
Julie."

:)

IWant2GoNow

Here's what she really wanted to say:

"Thanks for your email, Mr. Lewis. I work here in this cramped office answering complaints like yours. They wont' let me tell you the real truth; I just have to say, 'Thank you and have a nice day'.
I'd really like to tell you that I know for a fact the the Yeti has an engineering flaw and we had to put it into B mode so it wouldn't destroy itself and the supporting structure.
It's going to be a big project to fix it and will require that the Expediton Everest attraction be down for quite a while. It's a very popular attraction that we really don't won't to close right now over something that most of the guests don't notice. So we're waiting for a general overall refurb, maybe in 5 years or so, and at that time we'll fix the Yeti so he can operate in A mode and then we'll also spruce up the attraction overall.
I know you probably won't think this is a great answer but we feel that honesty attracts loyal guests.
Do have a nice day, though.

Sincerely, your Disney friend,
Julie."

:)

:ROFLOL: I was thinking something along the same lines when I read it!

AndyMagic

From time to time, we make adjustments to our offerings.
This is in keeping with Walt Disney?s vision for continuing to grow and
evolve giving Guests a mixture of familiar and new experiences with each
visit. You may also be assured that your observations have been shared
and taken seriously.

This is perhaps the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. To somehow explain away the stagnation of the parks and the blatantly broken effects on a marquee attraction as, "new experiences," is just too rich. This woman should be given a dark brown medal with the letters BS on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom