Yehaa Bob

solidyne

An additional problem is that millennials, as well as members of "gen Z," do not even understand live entertainment. Their idea of a good time is a four-inch screen and an 1/8-inch speaker.

Why should Disney invest in a man playing an instrument (so 20th century) singing songs no kid (i.e, person under 35) knows? Just put up a ScrEEn.

[I teach kids 18-22 for a living, so I know their habits, interests, and skills quite well. Yes, I am 50. Yes, I am grouch. But I am basically right.]

TrainsOfDisney

Absolutely!!! Sadly I had just found PI when they closed it. I was lucky enough to visit The Adventurer's Club a few times before it ended, but knowing what I know now, I would LOVE to have gone to the Rock & Roll Beach Club!!! I loved PI and it just would have gotten better and better for me as time went on I'm sure!! Doing a shot of liquor down a channel cut into block of ice is probably not a good idea right now, but that was the most incredible thing to see back then. And yet PI is another example of great unique entertainment, that was cut and never brought back. This makes me so sad. In the meantime other companies are expanding their offerings ( Pre-Covid of course) to entice visitors to come and vacation with them. Look to all of the cruise lines as well as other land based options. Marie
Same. I can say that I saw comedy warehouse, adventurers club, and fireworks at PI, but i saw it right at the end and I wish I could have seen it more.

Dagmar

I’m saying hold onto him until it’s safe to preform again. It’s TWDC not a small office.
Exactly. It's one person that can perform any style anywhere. You think they would want to hold on to him to at least be a brand ambassador. I wonder if they'll take his Disney Legacy award back on his way out the door.

TrainsOfDisney

An additional problem is that millennials, as well as members of "gen Z," do not even understand live entertainment. Their idea of a good time is a four-inch screen and an 1/8-inch speaker.

Why should Disney invest in a man playing an instrument (so 20th century) singing songs no kid (i.e, person under 35) knows? Just put up a ScrEEn.

[I teach kids 18-22 for a living, so I know their habits, interests, and skills quite well. Yes, I am 50. Yes, I am grouch. But I am basically right.]
the River Roost was never intended to appeal to kids in the 18-22 range.

I’m also not sure if you know their habits as well as you think, I work in the live entertainment industry and a large majority of concert attendees are in that age range.

Disstevefan1

Disney already mentioned them in regards to holiday offerings at Epcot. While not unheard of, sure would be weird to mention them returning if they were planning to fire them before then.
Look at what they did to the grand Floridian orchestra, the made them play multiple times a day, seven days a week at DS, THEN they fired them.

YodaMan

Look at what they did to the grand Floridian orchestra, the made them play multiple times a day, seven days a week at DS, THEN they fired them.

You say “made them play” as if it would have been better to have left them on furlough and then fire them instead and not give them those 2 months of pay and performances and a final show?

TrainsOfDisney

You say “made them play” as if it would have been better to have left them on furlough and then fire them instead and not give them those 2 months of pay and performances and a final show?
Being brought out of furlough for 2 months and then let go may have been a worse up and down then waiting for the inevitable.

Neither are good for morale. I think they are thankful they at least get to have a final performance.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

You ever try to get a seat even 15 minutes before Yehaa went on? Impossible (or you had to be very lucky). The amount of overpriced booze he generated at that bar was amazing. I did see quite a few millennials at his shows.

Basil of Baker Street

This, exactly this. Folks let's get this straight. Yee Ha Bob was NOT cut due to Covid only. It didnt help matters any, but the entertainment cast members who were cut this year very well may have been on the chopping block anyhow. I dont know anyone who can tell me that one way or the other. What I do know for a fact is that over the last number of years, 6 for me as that is when it starting hitting home with the termination of Off Kilter, MoRockin' World Showcase players and some others, the following year with the termination of Mulch, Sweat & Shears, and others, etc. Disney has been getting rid of some of the great entertainment that could be found in the parks and resorts. 6 years ago, Covid was not impacting the parks, so what was the excuse then? Oh yes they wanted something new. The following year Mulch was terminated and no replacement was ever forthcoming. Some people I know had speculated at the time that this was due to the up and coming streetmosphere for Galaxy's Edge. Well we see how that has gone. I get the whole issue with Covid right now, but this goes back much further than that with Disney making some cuts to entertainment for YEARS before this became a thing. If the cuts were only being done this year, I wouldnt have a problem saying that this is due to the current situation and that the great entertainment that I have always loved will be returning to WDW as soon as things stabilize. However Disney has shown this to not be the case based on the history. Disney can do better and should. I understand that things arent going to get back to normal immediately due to the virus. I will tell you that I think people are watching to see the value of where they spend their hard earned vacation dollars. Rides are great and all, but the stand out moments for me are the interaction with the cast members, particularly in Entertainment for me. I dont recall the last time I rode on Dumbo, but TOTALLY remember the last shows on Off Kilter and Mulch, Sweat & Shears. Even happier memories of ringing in New Year's Eve a year or two before that with Mulch. Doing mass singalongs with the Off Kilter fans during the night shows for the band, which were always a little wilder, Dancing around in the Osbourne Lights while Mulch played. Singing along with Leon the Piano Player in the Rose and Crown, Signing Sweet Caroline or the Devil Went Down to Georgia with Jason and Billy at Scat Cats in POFQ. I could go on but you get the idea. THIS is what I want back. Days when we couldnt even figure out where we wanted to be as entertainment was so plentiful, that we had to decide which we wanted to go see!!! I hope that Disney can do better going forward, but I fear they will not. Marie
haha, this wall of text makes my eyes hurt.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
the River Roost was never intended to appeal to kids in the 18-22 range.

I’m also not sure if you know their habits as well as you think, I work in the live entertainment industry and a large majority of concert attendees are in that age range.
Its an industry where disposable income matters :)

Club Cooloholic

This, exactly this. Folks let's get this straight. Yee Ha Bob was NOT cut due to Covid only. It didnt help matters any, but the entertainment cast members who were cut this year very well may have been on the chopping block anyhow. I dont know anyone who can tell me that one way or the other. What I do know for a fact is that over the last number of years, 6 for me as that is when it starting hitting home with the termination of Off Kilter, MoRockin' World Showcase players and some others, the following year with the termination of Mulch, Sweat & Shears, and others, etc. Disney has been getting rid of some of the great entertainment that could be found in the parks and resorts. 6 years ago, Covid was not impacting the parks, so what was the excuse then? Oh yes they wanted something new. The following year Mulch was terminated and no replacement was ever forthcoming. Some people I know had speculated at the time that this was due to the up and coming streetmosphere for Galaxy's Edge. Well we see how that has gone. I get the whole issue with Covid right now, but this goes back much further than that with Disney making some cuts to entertainment for YEARS before this became a thing. If the cuts were only being done this year, I wouldnt have a problem saying that this is due to the current situation and that the great entertainment that I have always loved will be returning to WDW as soon as things stabilize. However Disney has shown this to not be the case based on the history. Disney can do better and should. I understand that things arent going to get back to normal immediately due to the virus. I will tell you that I think people are watching to see the value of where they spend their hard earned vacation dollars. Rides are great and all, but the stand out moments for me are the interaction with the cast members, particularly in Entertainment for me. I dont recall the last time I rode on Dumbo, but TOTALLY remember the last shows on Off Kilter and Mulch, Sweat & Shears. Even happier memories of ringing in New Year's Eve a year or two before that with Mulch. Doing mass singalongs with the Off Kilter fans during the night shows for the band, which were always a little wilder, Dancing around in the Osbourne Lights while Mulch played. Singing along with Leon the Piano Player in the Rose and Crown, Signing Sweet Caroline or the Devil Went Down to Georgia with Jason and Billy at Scat Cats in POFQ. I could go on but you get the idea. THIS is what I want back. Days when we couldnt even figure out where we wanted to be as entertainment was so plentiful, that we had to decide which we wanted to go see!!! I hope that Disney can do better going forward, but I fear they will not. Marie
When they took out Pleasure Island we all should have seen this coming. Instead of looking at what worked at PI(Adventures Club, Comedy Club) and expanding on that, they tore it all down and gave us.....more restaurants.

Cesar R M

Although I agree in principle that he should be performing in another resort, I don't think the style of show is particularly feasible with Covid. Singing has been shown to project aerosols further so the crowds shouldn't be joining in with songs, also they will need to remain seated and distanced which isn't really in the spirit of the show.
He is probably capable of doing a "quieter" show where everyone remains quieter and seated at their socially distanced tables, but it wouldn't be the same.
Its not that hard to put plastic barriers. The people could sing with masks and stay in a circled area.
Hell, it would even be very useful to use the infamous "pool noddle social distancing hats" which would add to the comedy of the show.

Everything has simple solutions. Disney just went cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom