Y'all should ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
HM is longer and better in WDW.

As is Splash Mountain and the Jungle Cruise.

Having just visit DL for the first time I prefer Pirates, Small World, and the Railroad in DL, but prefer WDW's Jungle Cruise. Differences in HM were not obvious to me, and I didn't ride Splash.

FrankLapidus

POTC is like 10 minutes shorter, the only thing better is the queue. IASM has a county fair front fascia, and is shorter as well. Same with HM, they're all shorter.

So what if they're shorter? POTC's queue is excellent but the ride itself is equally brilliant, as is Haunted Mansion. I don't see a problem with IASM's facade, as best as I can tell it fits in with the facades of all the other rides in Fantasyland. Whether you prefer WDW or DL's rides is a matter of opinion but there is nothing about those rides that is 'cheap' or seems 'thrown together on the fly' at WDW.

rle4lunch

So what if they're shorter? POTC's queue is excellent but the ride itself is equally brilliant, as is Haunted Mansion. I don't see a problem with IASM's facade, as best as I can tell it fits in with the facades of all the other rides in Fantasyland. Whether you prefer WDW or DL's rides is a matter of opinion but there is nothing about those rides that is 'cheap' or seems 'thrown together on the fly' at WDW.

Let me restate then, the FL rides feel more like Magic Mountain instead of the rest of the rides in the other lands. FL at WDW and DL were no comparison until the expansion at DWD, which I will be at the grand opening for the first week of Dec. I'll be doing the Christmas party that night so that we can experience everything without the ridiculous crowds.

Beholder

I agree with the others here who really want to see Carsland (if in fact it's coming) done as well as it's west coast counterpart. Nothing on the cheap, no short cuts. Especially if RSR is the only element they bring. Making it a little different could be an opportunity to set it apart from the original. Not necessarily better, just different.

And I would also love to see the Lucas properties expanded. Wether that means more Star Wars or Indiana Jones, or both, I'd be excited about that.

luv

I know we're over 1500 posts into this, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway. Maybe I "should" want it, lol, but I don't.

I don't want Carsland. Not a fan of the movie. Don't care about it at all. And it already exists at DLR, so if people really want to see it, they can go there. I'm happy the Californians got something new and am pleased as punch that they're happy with it. But IMO, it should stay there.

I don't totally hate the idea, though...especially if it is stuck into DS, which I don't care much about in the first place. It would get a big, fat, "Whatever...Hookairs..." from me.

And if Carsland means no Avatarland defiling my beloved AK, then I'm 100% in favor of Carsland.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is John Lasseter still fighting to keep Cars Land out of WDW? I can barely keep up with all of this speculation anymore.

No, he isn't. But as it's been told to me, he wasn't against Carsland coming here. He was against RSRs and a gift shop coming here, which is what TDO wanted.

I too would be very happy to see you proved wrong in regards to anything new regarding Lucas properties :rolleyes:. I really like Star Tours II but the Indy Stunt Show has definitely seen better days.

I just don't see any interest on GL's part to expand Lucas properties presence in Disney Parks. There are folks at WDI champing at the bit to produce content, but it also isn't something the high level folks seem interested in.

Iger and Staggs want Marvel, which can't happen at WDW, and Pixar properties. Muppets would have been in the mix, but they just don't seem popular enough, which is very sad to fans such as myself.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm a regular at WDW and I don't think there is anything 'cheap' about any of those rides, especially Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. Those two are examples of WDW at it's best, entertaining and thematically immersive.

Mansion is truly great at WDW (adding the crap out front would be another matter), but PoC is just sad compared to every other version out there (and I've experienced them all many times).

Even if it were maintained, which it most assuredly is not, it still would pale because it is so damn short.

FrankLapidus

No, he isn't. But as it's been told to me, he wasn't against Carsland coming here. He was against RSRs and a gift shop coming here, which is what TDO wanted.

Ok, there was talk of being against the project as a whole but that must have been incorrect. Hopefully Lasseter wins this particular duel against TDO's half-assed approach to plussing the parks.

I just don't see any interest on GL's part to expand Lucas properties presence in Disney Parks. There are folks at WDI champing at the bit to produce content, but it also isn't something the high level folks seem interested in.

Iger and Staggs want Marvel, which can't happen at WDW, and Pixar properties. Muppets would have been in the mix, but they just don't seem popular enough, which is very sad to fans such as myself.

If this is the case then I look forward to Iger and Staggs soon being out of the company.

Mansion is truly great at WDW (adding the crap out front would be another matter), but PoC is just sad compared to every other version out there (and I've experienced them all many times).

Even if it were maintained, which it most assuredly is not, it still would pale because it is so damn short.

I won't argue that it isn't properly maintained because that complaint extends to several other attractions at WDW and I can't really argue with what you say about the ride's length because you've experienced other versions of the ride so you have something to compare WDW's POTC to; the only other one I've been on was DLP's and I found WDW's to be far superior in all areas. I just don't agree with it being labelled as "cheap", sure it could be better maintained and freshened up more but it has never looked even remotely cheap to me in all the years I've been going to WDW. But I look forward to experiencing DL's POTC soon.

I agree about Haunted Mansion though one redeeming quality in the Next-Gen queue for me is the nods to all of the legendary Imagineers who contributed to the attraction. As a Disney enthusiast I always enjoy seeing these subtle allusions to those legends.

DocMcHulk

Muppets would have been in the mix, but they just don't seem popular enough, which is very sad to fans such as myself.
I wonder if people dont give Muppets enough credit. I think there is still a fan base and if they push a Disney Junior muppets show, they can spark a whole new generation.

Atomicmickey

I wonder if people dont give Muppets enough credit. I think there is still a fan base and if they push a Disney Junior muppets show, they can spark a whole new generation.

This one's a bit of a head scratcher. The new film did pretty well. You'd think with a decent
script, they could already be into production on a sequel. Somewhat odd that they splashed
the film big, it did well, and they're not (visibly) moving ahead. Maybe they didn't see the
merch sales that they wanted out of it. Let's remember that they look at the WHOLE picture,
and that is why there is a Cars Land. Not because of the individual film, but because the
merch is so popular. If you can't sell Kermits and Piggys, the whole picture is imbalanced,
in Corporate-Disney-World.

CDW, did I just make a useful/confusing acronym?

DocMcHulk

This one's a bit of a head scratcher. The new film did pretty well. You'd think with a decent
script, they could already be into production on a sequel. Somewhat odd that they splashed
the film big, it did well, and they're not (visibly) moving ahead. Maybe they didn't see the
merch sales that they wanted out of it. Let's remember that they look at the WHOLE picture,
and that is why there is a Cars Land. Not because of the individual film, but because the
merch is so popular. If you can't sell Kermits and Piggys, the whole picture is imbalanced,
in Corporate-Disney-World.

CDW, did I just make a useful/confusing acronym?
The problem is that i feel the movie was really aimed more at adults who remembered the Muppets. Heck, that's kind of the whole plot of the movie really. I know my kids really love it and always want to listen to "the muppet song" (Life's a Happy Song) whenever we are in the car. But, to reach a large adoption of a new generation, you need to "speak their language" and put it in front of them on the TV. Unfortunately, they seem more interested in Doc McStuffins and Swampy.

nytimez

The movie did OK. It didn't do "let's rush out a sequel" numbers (although it seems likely there will be one eventually) and it didn't do "let's put Muppets everywhere" numbers.

More importantly from a theme parks POV, it didn't drive big merch sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom