Y'all should ...

Beholder

i bet we agree on a lot of things, and i don't mean to parse your words, but i don't think disney's marketing department knows what it's doing.

i think they very much knew what they were doing in the '80s and early '90s. but i think they've severely lost touch with a number of demographics (most notably, couples without kids, both old and young), their focus is too
narrow, and their plans have sterilized each individual resort by creating
this "one disney" banner.

to me, the way disney markets and promotes itself is like the football
coach who gets a 17-3 lead in the second quarter of the AFC title game and
tries to start running out the clock. things are good for a little while, but
then the other team realizes you chopped off half of your play book and
killed your aggressiveness, and they exploit that. before you know it, you're
on your hands and knees praying you hang onto the game.

sorry, did i just sports geek out on you all?

Love the analogy! I've heard a similar situation that my daughters coach will use that sometimes teams are playing to win and some are just playing not to lose. Universal, it appears is playing to win. The want points on the board, and to continually add to them. Disney is playing not to lose. Maintain what we have, stay with our plan, go on the defensive. Don't take any chances.

By the way, she plays football, just not the American brand.

Goofyernmost

I agree with that. I had ridden Splash many times before I ever knew it was based on a Disney movie. I always thought it was just based on the old folk tales. Since the movie is not available on DVD and I doubt it is shown on Cable anymore I am probably not alone.

Oh, you can get a copy of it. It's not all that hard to do. I've got one and I bought it off a Disney discussion board store a few years back. They are out there you just have to look.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, there's tonnes of gossip flying around here in O-town. It's great chatting face to face ;)

Once I'm home I'll be able to get it all in logical order.

Cosmic Commando

I've never bought the argument that Splash Mountain doesn't fit thematically because Frontierland isn't strictly limited to the Wild West. Tom Sawyer Island has been right across the river from mainland Frontierland since day one. The geographic setting of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is along the border of what is considered the South and the Midwest. Where the Wild West begins on a map is kind of ambiguous, but the real-life counterparts of Tom Sawyer's stomping grounds aren't really associated with the type of Wild West folklore that the area around Pecos Bill's and the red rocks at BTMRR are designed to conjure.
I think the Rivers of America provides an effective barrier/transition between Tom Sawyer Island and the rest of Frontierland. If it were a Tom Sawyer playground with no river around it, then I would agree it wouldn't fit. It's not that I think Splash Mountain can't be "frontier", I just don't think it fits in the continuity of Frontierland as it was built. It's like how people complain about Aladdin in Adventureland. You can certainly have adventures in the desert, but Adventureland before the Carpets was pretty much jungle, jungle, jungle and now there's a very random detour into the desert. Or if they were to place Beauxbatons or Durmstrang in between Hogwarts and Hogsmeade at WWoHP... yeah it's from Harry Potter and the land is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but it messes with the flow of the land. Obviously, you're not going to spend $$$$$$$$$$ to do it after the fact, but I think if the Imagineers were building the park today, BTMRR and Splash would switch spots and Splash would be more off in its own area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom