Y'all should ...

LOSTllama

Each park could get something new to celebrate the coming anniversary...

Studios would get Cars Land.

EPCOT would get the Ratatouille trackless ride from Disneyland Studios Paris for the France Pavillion and a redo of Universe of Energy

Animal Kingdom would get Pandora or something else to replace Camp Minnie Mickey (if Pandora truly is DOA)

spacemt354

Chili's
"Come see the New Fantasyland which will be closely followed by Carsland, a Monster Inc. E-Ticket, a Star Wars Character Meal in an all new themed Cantina, Indiana Jones E-ticket experience, and another attraction in DAK and EPCOT and leading up to our 50th anniversary celebration!"

I like the sound of that. A new "Disney Decade" leading up to the 50th, with the FLE being Project 1 of this new decade. I would let FLE open however before any of these long term plans are timelined to the public. From what I've seen in person and the pictures on this site, it is going to be a great addition and it does deserve its time in the sun.

Disney marketing knows what they are doing. They know their guests and what information will affect potential future visits. Us here on the site are a little different than the average guests. Knowing that Carsland is possibly coming in 2015 will not influence a majority of us to postpone our vacations for the next 3 or so years. Most of us would probably go down regardless. So if it's coming, Carsland will be announced when a) Disney decides on what is going into DHS and b) when it's the opportune moment for announcement.

But I do like the idea of mapping out the next decade leading up to the 50th. That would be cool.

tomman710

I like the sound of that. A new "Disney Decade" leading up to the 50th, with the FLE being Project 1 of this new decade. I would let FLE open however before any of these long term plans are timelined to the public. From what I've seen in person and the pictures on this site, it is going to be a great addition and it does deserve its time in the sun.

Disney marketing knows what they are doing. They know their guests and what information will affect potential future visits. Us here on the site are a little different than the average guests. Knowing that Carsland is possibly coming in 2015 will not influence a majority of us to postpone our vacations for the next 3 or so years. Most of us would probably go down regardless. So if it's coming, Carsland will be announced when a) Disney decides on what is going into DHS and b) when it's the opportune moment for announcement.

But I do like the idea of mapping out the next decade leading up to the 50th. That would be cool.

Yeah when thinking about the argument that the average guest may postpone ... I think if it happens it happens regardless, if you announce it now or in August who ever would have postponed will postpone, with the obvious exception of those who didn't know about the announcement between now and then but I just feel the impact would be minimal ...

If I were running Disney I'd announce everything leading up to the 50th, make it a HUGE deal, cross promote with ABC, do update shows on GMA and some of the primetime slots, run ads leading up to the 50th "Biggest Celebration in WDW History!" ... air Cars run Carsland promos ... do behind the scene shows on ABC and ABC Family ... I think this should be a huge deal they should CEMENT in the public conciseness ... bombard us with news and don't let us forget it.

Bolna

I am not at all a marketing expert, but I am not so sure that Disney marketing in general knows what it does if I just look at the example of Disney marketing I see here in the German market (where I live). Interestingly I came across an old annual report (I think it was 2001) where Eisner was talking about a growth strategy for TWDC by focussing more on the larger European Markets, especially Germany. I don't get the impression that Disney has been able to grow much here in the last decade and partly I would say that is because they have no clue how to tackle foreign markets. They just try to use the same pixie dust formula for everyone.

So the impression I have is that Disney marketing tends to play it safe, stay with what they have always done, don't try new things. They don't appear very courageous or innovative to me. What tomman710 suggested appears much bolder than what I think Disney marketing would ever dare to do - unless told so by someone very high up in the company!

tomman710

I am not at all a marketing expert, but I am not so sure that Disney marketing in general knows what it does if I just look at the example of Disney marketing I see here in the German market (where I live). Interestingly I came across an old annual report (I think it was 2001) where Eisner was talking about a growth strategy for TWDC by focussing more on the larger European Markets, especially Germany. I don't get the impression that Disney has been able to grow much here in the last decade and partly I would say that is because they have no clue how to tackle foreign markets. They just try to use the same pixie dust formula for everyone.

So the impression I have is that Disney marketing tends to play it safe, stay with what they have always done, don't try new things. They don't appear very courageous or innovative to me. What tomman710 suggested appears much bolder than what I think Disney marketing would ever dare to do - unless told so by someone very high up in the company!

I live in Texas ... I can't recall the last time I saw a WDW ad on TV.

Bolna

I live in Texas ... I can't recall the last time I saw a WDW ad on TV.

Do you get any DCL advertising since the Magic is now in Galveston? I remember that I read comments from people in California that they had no idea that the Wonder was doing cruises from LA.

baymenxpac

i bet we agree on a lot of things, and i don't mean to parse your words, but i don't think disney's marketing department knows what it's doing.

i think they very much knew what they were doing in the '80s and early '90s. but i think they've severely lost touch with a number of demographics (most notably, couples without kids, both old and young), their focus is too narrow, and their plans have sterilized each individual resort by creating this "one disney" banner.

to me, the way disney markets and promotes itself is like the football coach who gets a 17-3 lead in the second quarter of the AFC title game and tries to start running out the clock. things are good for a little while, but then the other team realizes you chopped off half of your play book and killed your aggressiveness, and they exploit that. before you know it, you're on your hands and knees praying you hang onto the game.

sorry, did i just sports geek out on you all?

MerlinTheGoat

Nah, i'm no sports geek and I know exactly what you mean. I think it's an apt description too, running out the clock and hoping to retain the status quo while you wait for your tenure to expire. Seems like many of the people at the Disney Company are doing exactly that. They exploit whatever cutbacks they can to increase their bonuses and then just up and leave once they're done, leaving the company in complete disrepair without looking back at the destruction they just caused.

And I'm very glad that this is apparently hurting them and they realize it. I've said it before, I'm very glad Universal is starting to scare the crap out of them. Healthy competition for the win (for customers at least- the people that really matter here).

COProgressFan

i think they very much knew what they were doing in the '80s and early '90s. but i think they've severely lost touch with a number of demographics (most notably, couples without kids, both old and young), their focus is too narrow, and their plans have sterilized each individual resort by creating this "one disney" banner.

Well said. Disney used to be an expert at marketing. But like much of the way Disney P&R is run these days, marketing seems especially out of touch and ineffective. There is only so long before you can push "magic! dreams! princesses! pirates! castle! castle! castle!" to families of toddlers and young children before the well runs dry. But I guess they haven't been given much to work with lately either in terms of the product they are selling.

stevehousse

I live in Illinois just outside of Chicago and they are always playing wdw travel commercials however I will admit they never play any Disneyland resort commercials though

spacemt354

Chili's
i bet we agree on a lot of things, and i don't mean to parse your words, but i don't think disney's marketing department knows what it's doing.

to me, the way disney markets and promotes itself is like the football coach who gets a 17-3 lead in the second quarter of the AFC title game and tries to start running out the clock. things are good for a little while, but then the other team realizes you chopped off half of your play book and killed your aggressiveness, and they exploit that. before you know it, you're on your hands and knees praying you hang onto the game.

sorry, did i just sports geek out on you all?

Nice analogy, although I'm not sure Disney is on its hands and knees yet. For comparison sake, I see Disney ads on TV more often then I see any of the competition.

Aside from the "Where dreams come true" Disney commercials and the give-away ads, I have seen WDW segments many times on the Travel Channel (Samantha Brown Specials), The History Channel (The Construction of WDW), ESPN (My Wish Segments, Wide World of Sports Tounraments), ABC (Christmas Parade), ABC Family (Disney Movies), Discovery Channel (Expedition Everest Construction/Animal Kingdom Construction)

Also since you seem to be a football fan, I'm sure you're aware of the "I'm going to Disney World" signature commercial after the Super Bowl

That's what I meant by they know what they are doing. Maybe it was a simplistic statement, because there are loopholes as you pointed out. But in general I do feel that they reach to guests through commercials, TV, internet, etc. Again though, it's up to interpretation.

M.rudolf

We have had a large amount of DL commercials lately in New Orleans, nothing on the basic outlets but on history,discovery etc I've seen a lot in the past month

doctornick

If I were running Disney I'd announce everything leading up to the 50th, make it a HUGE deal, cross promote with ABC, do update shows on GMA and some of the primetime slots, run ads leading up to the 50th "Biggest Celebration in WDW History!" ... air Cars run Carsland promos ... do behind the scene shows on ABC and ABC Family ... I think this should be a huge deal they should CEMENT in the public conciseness ... bombard us with news and don't let us forget it.

Eh. I don't think it's a big deal to go overboard with advertising future plans. Advertising things as they are opening/being built is fine. But I do hope that Disney does have plans for some sort of "Disney Decade" leading up to the 50th anniversary. They should be planning a big built out and having a massive party in 2021.

Of course, part of that is that they should have a pretty constant flow of new attractions in the upcoming years. There should be something new and exciting to advertise every year.

M.rudolf

Disney has a lot of plans as of now,warehouses full. Having the plans isn't the issue executing them is. Upper management has tied down the rest of Disney for so long. It's like after you wake up from a long sleep it takes some time to get used to the surroundings,wipe the sleep from your eyes and make a plan for the day. Right now they have wiped the sleep and are beginning to make plans

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom