Yak & Yeti Opinions?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Sorry I keep asking about all kinds of places to eat. We wanna try new places out along with our favs! I am looking at the steak and shrimp. I found a pic online of that dinner and it looked great! Any opinions that are NOT in the review section? Been there and done that!

Love love love Yak and Yeti! Eat there every time! :slurp:

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
DPP_0060-1.jpg

Sold.

stlbobby

I was not too thrilled with it. But then I was only there once.

To my tastes the food was bland and simplistic. The service was just poor, but then I ate there just after it opened, so they may have been getting the bug out still.

I had almost exactly the same experience when it opened. I keep thinking I need to try it again.

The menu is like a resaruant searching for a theme. Does it want to be Thai, Americanized Chinese Take-out, Vietnamese, or a TGI Fridays?

This is the theme. It's Asian Fusion. It is a mixing of all types of Asian cuisine with a dash of American style.

Phonedave

This is the theme. It's Asian Fusion. It is a mixing of all types of Asian cuisine with a dash of American style.

In my opinion, for somthing to be fusion, the dishes themselves have to have the fusion within them. Not random dishes from each area just sitting on the menu.

I can put an edemame appitizer on the menu along with a plate of nachos and that is NOT Japanese/Tex-Mex fusion.

However, make some sort of chili or relish out of the edemame, and then use that on the nachos. Now that is a fusion dish. Heck, take the refried beans out of a burrito and replace them with natto - fusion all over the place.

Making somthing like batter fried green beans and then calling it fusion by serving it with a thai chili dipping sauce is not very inspired.

-dave

Pete C

Definitely a solid Chinese joint as far as this cuisine goes. What is funny about the majority of complaints about this place is that it is chain-restaurant or PF Chang quality. Here's the kicker...unless you are living in San Fran, Boston, or NYC, most locally-owned chinese food places are TERRIBLE. Overly salted and loaded with MSG and whatever else. They are consistently rated in the top 10 of every food safety violations list. At least at a chain you are guaranteed some level of sanitation and cleanliness in the kitchen. I am saying this even as I am a firm believer in local restaurants and avoiding chains at all costs. Chinese is just one of those exceptions...sorry if I offend anyone. There are always exceptions and every big city probably has a few great Chinese places, but most of them are blah.

I did have a truly fantastic Chinese place nearby in Atlanta when I lived there called Canton Cooks. If you live in Atlanta...that is about as good as you are going to get right there. However, compared to your typical Chinese take out, I think Yak and Yeti compares favorably and is not covered in oil and deep fried batter.

coltow

We ate there on our last trip. It was no PF Chang's but pretty good. The ice cream wonton thing was YUMMY.

I'm not sure if it was normal or not but the restaurant itself the day we were there was freezing! I had to use napkins as blankets for my 2 yo.

stlbobby

In my opinion, for somthing to be fusion, the dishes themselves have to have the fusion within them. Not random dishes from each area just sitting on the menu.

I can put an edemame appitizer on the menu along with a plate of nachos and that is NOT Japanese/Tex-Mex fusion.

However, make some sort of chili or relish out of the edemame, and then use that on the nachos. Now that is a fusion dish. Heck, take the refried beans out of a burrito and replace them with natto - fusion all over the place.

Making somthing like batter fried green beans and then calling it fusion by serving it with a thai chili dipping sauce is not very inspired.

-dave

I agree the cuisine could have been more interesting, I think my biggest disappointment was that it was less eclectic than the the description had led me to believe, but I did see a theme and didn't feel it was totally lost.

I ate there when it had been open less than a month, form what I've read and heard they have kicked it up a notch. I thought at the time it was finding its way and have wanted to return, but there are so many excellent choices at WDW it is hard to give it another chance.

djpoore94

We really enjoyed Yak & Yeti. DH had the steak and shrimp and said it was greaty. We were seated upstairs toward the front of the builind looking out over the "street" below and that was really neat.

tjkref418

We enjoyed our experience, but my wife and I noted that the service was very rushed. We were there for a "late" dinner---530 because of an earlier AK closing, but it was to the point that we literally had our main dishes sitting on the table because we just got our appetizers. For reference, I usually would NEVER complain about getting food too fast. :) Maybe it was just the time we went....

Phonedave

Definitely a solid Chinese joint as far as this cuisine goes. What is funny about the majority of complaints about this place is that it is chain-restaurant or PF Chang quality. Here's the kicker...unless you are living in San Fran, Boston, or NYC, most locally-owned chinese food places are TERRIBLE. Overly salted and loaded with MSG and whatever else. They are consistently rated in the top 10 of every food safety violations list. At least at a chain you are guaranteed some level of sanitation and cleanliness in the kitchen. I am saying this even as I am a firm believer in local restaurants and avoiding chains at all costs. Chinese is just one of those exceptions...sorry if I offend anyone. There are always exceptions and every big city probably has a few great Chinese places, but most of them are blah.

I did have a truly fantastic Chinese place nearby in Atlanta when I lived there called Canton Cooks. If you live in Atlanta...that is about as good as you are going to get right there. However, compared to your typical Chinese take out, I think Yak and Yeti compares favorably and is not covered in oil and deep fried batter.

Go on line, look up some typical Chinese dishes, learn how to order them in Chinese.

Go into your local hole in the wall Chinese take out and order in Chinese. Chances are you will get food that is 100 times better than what you normally get.

Try going in and ordering "Spicy bean curd" and then go and order Mapo Dofu (make sure you accentuate the P, because Mabo Dofu is something else) and there is a good chance you will get two variations of the same dish.

I friend of mine spent 10+ years stationed in Japan and he picked up quite a bit of Chinese as well. When he came back to the states he wanted the food he was used to. We went to a Chinese food place and he looked at the menu and then basically asked the guy in Chinese "What is all this garbage, where is the real food". They told him that if he knew what 'real' dishes he wanted they would gladly make them for us.

-dave

marcriss

We ate at Y&Y in December and it was ok, nothing to write home about. Not bad, but we're in no rush to go back.

The steak and shrimp at Nine Dragons is amazing! I know some people don't like Nine Dragons because it's expensive for something you can basically get at home, but we live in NY and haven't been able to find anything that comes close to what they have now. We have a good hole in the wall place for everyday chinese, but I would recommend Nine Dragons over Y & Y in a heartbeat.

disneygirl1

Hey John, we ate there our our Sept 2009 trip, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed!!! Honestly, you can get the same food at the Yak & Yeti quick service counter... The food was average at best... I wouldn't waste a Dining Credit here!

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Yeah the more I look at it, the day we were gonna go there I'm probably not going to stay at AK that long so we are gonna go somewhere else...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom