XXIX Olympiad: Beijing 2008

dandaman

Original Poster
The 2008 Beijing Olympics have officially kicked off at 8:08 PM Beijing time! Good luck to all sporting participants in the next 16 days, and may the world shine with its true showcase of humanity!

Img214070082.jpg

For the American viewers, the opening ceremonies would have kicked off (I believe) at 8:08 AM eastern time. Naturally NBC's looking for primetime coverage and will actually show it tonight, but I can just say that China's putting on one helluva show. :D

dandaman

Original Poster
...No one wants to talk about the events going on involving world nations competing and coming together? All right, that's cool... wait 'till 2012. :lol:

EPCOT.nut

I like the Olympics, too....it's kind of funny, but since the shooting sports section of the Olympics won't be as popular as the gymnastics part, the TV show Shooting USA has been featuring our American Olympics Team and will continue to do so. I'm curious to see what other nations are out there competing in this category.

GO USA! :sohappy:

Nicole220

What's everyone's favorite events?

Mine are:

Equestrian- show jumping
Woman's gymnastics
Swimming (hot guys in speedos, duh :lookaroun)
Basketball

GO USA!!

EPCOT.nut

Mine are:

Equestrian- show jumping
Woman's gymnastics
Basketball

GO USA!!

I like the equestrian sports, too. I used to ride english and I loved cross-country events. The horses are simply beautiful.

I truly can't stand gymnastics, though.

Nicole220

I like the equestrian sports, too. I used to ride english and I loved cross-country events. The horses are simply beautiful.
Yay! Another english rider! I've been riding english for almost 8 years. :wave:

Ooo, cross country...love that too!

I hate that equestrian is always on late. Thankfully I have DVR this year!

EPCOT.nut

Yay! Another english rider! I've been riding english for almost 8 years. :wave:

Ooo, cross country...love that too!

I hate that equestrian is always on late. Thankfully I have DVR this year!

I get a little sad watching because I quit riding so many years ago and it makes me wish I still was around horses. They are just so *expensive* :lol: and a lot of work. I just can't do it anymore. My horse passed away a few years ago and I hadn't ridden her since the mid-90's.

I have show jumping my grandparents taped for me in the 80's still. :lol: I hadn't thought about watching that in a long time but I bet it is entertaining.

I hope team USA does well with the equestrian events. It's truly amazing what they can get those horses to do. I never got past training level in dressage. :dazzle: Cool that you still ride - I hope you are able to keep up the hobby. It's good for the buns. :lol:

FutureCEO

the show is almost over now...just the parade of nations

But some thoughts....I think the stadium is absolutely horrible. Ugly. Ghastly.

Wny couldn't NBC show the ceremonies with the rest of the world is beyond me? Well, I know why.....money. But still....it would have be fun to see it live.

Personnally, I know the media has raved about the ceremony but I thought it was a little boring sometimes. The ending was the best part and the sailing the waters part.

And where were the dragons..I wanted to see them.

I can't wait for the closing ceremonies for London to showcase its games. Of course, I will be watching football, swimming and diving in between.

I wonder if Disney could ever do the ceremonies in Florida if they ever got the games?

dandaman

Original Poster
I just don't see Orlando or Miami snagging an IOC opportunity... then again, the Games were held in Atlanta in 1996. (I wish I were old enough to remember how that one worked. :lol: )

davidpw97

I just don't see Orlando or Miami snagging an IOC opportunity... then again, the Games were held in Atlanta in 1996. (I wish I were old enough to remember how that one worked. :lol: )

As an Atlanta resident, I can honestly say the games were awesome. The energy and excitement in the city for those two weeks were pretty amazing and I would love the opportunity to experience the Olympics in person again.

I could see a city like Jacksonville or Miami hosting the Olympics one day. Miami tried to bid for 2016 but I guess it didn't get too far.

EPCOT.nut

I just came back from Atlanta and got to see the Centennial Park (jeesh I hope that was the name of it) where the Olympics were held. They have this big torch sculpture/contraption. It's literally right off the interstate - in a place that is hard to just "check out" while you are driving by, unfortunately.

I was just as shocked when they did the Superbowl in Jacksonville as when they did the Olympics in Atlanta.

:lol:

MiRi

I was in Atlanta for the '96 games. My sister had just moved there not long before.

I remember how awesome it was to experience all of the events. I saw USA Womens Beach Volleyball against Brasil. I was also in attendance when the USA Womens Soccer team beat China for the Gold. That is something I will never forget.

Everytime I go to Turner Field for a baseball game, I look up at the torch and remember all the fun times I had that summer.

Number_6

Mine are:

Equestrian- show jumping
Woman's gymnastics
Basketball

GO USA!!

Fencing for me, but then I Fenced in High School. And having said that, Congrats to the USA Women's Saber Team for a 1-2-3 sweep! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom