X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I feel like an idiot...what's BSG?

Battlestar Galactica? :shrug:
Man. We might have to make you turn in your geek card.:lol:

You are correct though. BSG is Battlestar Galactica.

I won't agree with that. I thought X-3 was entertaining...but not GOOD by any means. Ghost Rider was awful.
I would agree. It was the worst of the 3 but good for a one time watch.

WDWFREAK53

Well, I thought it was but you were talking about a movie and I was thinking "in the theaters" and I couldn't remember a recent BSG movie...that's what threw me off.

Thrill Seeker

Indeed.

I'm sure we can all agree though, X-3 was awful.

Just....

awful.

Be thankful it wasn't the train wreck that was Spider-Man 3... :brick:

As far as Origins goes, I'm seeing it later today with friends. I honestly don't care if it's amazing or not. It's the beginning of summer, finals will be over, I just need some good action and that is the best option right now.

Tubes

Seeing as all the beans are spilt already, here's my unauthorized opinion:

Deadpool=Venom in Spidey 3. He, Gambit and all the other mutants in Wolverine are just there for fanboi value. For what it's worth, Reynolds could be a good Deadpool, but he's never given a moment to shine.

Judging the movie on it's own (IE not bringing up the obvious canon rape) it's decent. Kind of a throwback to 80's action movies that operated on emotion instead of plot. High points include Wolverine breaking out of the Weapon X facility bare assed and the main credits montage, which show Wolverine and Sabretooth fighting through various wars. The movie has a bunch of third act problems to it's detriment, including a rather pointless character battle. So, in conclusion, not a bad movie at facevalue. I'm sure a lot of you will enjoy it.

Oh and Liev Schrieber is a bad ______.

(On the note of the extra endings, I can't see how there can be one for Deadpool. I mean, Wolverine decapitates him. I think this whole "multiple alternate endings" thing is just a ploy by Fox to bring people to the theaters instead of downloading the workprint)

nighttimewisher

Original Poster
I enjoyed the movie up til the point Weapon XI turned up and Stryker talked about "pooling" the mutant genes. I was annoyed by the treatment of The Merc (formerly) with a Mouth, and that made me pick at all the little things, something I usually manage to avoid and let be.

Concerning the endings, I've heard there may be up to 7 (?) but have only heard 2 mentioned - highlight below

Wolverine in a bar (possibly Japan, saying he drinks to remember
Deadpool reaching for his severed heard, which looks at the camera and whispers "Shh" to the audience (at least he broke the 4th wall at one point lol)

However, I haven't had a good description of either and if anyone sees them - please let us know :D

SirGoofy

Deadpool reaching for his severed heard, which looks at the camera and whispers "Shh" to the audience (at least he broke the 4th wall at one point lol)

Wait...seriously? I just threw up in my mouth. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.:hurl:

I may never see a Fox movie again.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

I could never get into the new BSG
Having seen much of the simple plotted original...the new one had me confused from the beginning. Trying to watch later episodes with everyone going in different directions and anyone being a cylon.... with neither the cylons or humans knowing what they were doing (felt too much like work!)
Then saw the last show where they reached earth...didn't realize it, people wandered off to kill themselves, ships ditched and just set up camping parties....just didn't get it...

Also miss the cylons at universal.....

Cylon_Race.jpg

Plan on seeing Wolverine on Sun. sounds entertaining enough for me....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I could never get into the new BSG
Having seen much of the simple plotted original...the new one had me confused from the beginning. Trying to watch later episodes with everyone going in different directions and anyone being a cylon.... with neither the cylons or humans knowing what they were doing (felt too much like work!)
Then saw the last show where they reached earth...didn't realize it, people wandered off to kill themselves, ships ditched and just set up camping parties....just didn't get it...

Also miss the cylons at universal.....

Cylon_Race.jpg

Plan on seeing Wolverine on Sun. sounds entertaining enough for me....
There is no question that BSG, much like lost, needed to be watched from day one. The story was way deep and very complicated but that being said it was incredibly rich. Having grown up with the original I was very skeptical but quickly fell in love with the re-imagined version.

I really like the ending of the new BSG vs. the original series. The new series made sense where as the original one was beyond hokey.

In the re-imagined BSG they found a new rich habital plant. The planet actually was not earth. The found the remnants of the 13th colony on Earth and it was a nuked out wasteland. Adama decide to simply call this new planet earth as it was really what they were searching for regardless if it was the real earth or not. They decide to adopt the primitive life style to break the human/Cylon Armageddon cycle. Apparently the humans creating Cylon's, Cylons destroying humans had happened before. The thing I liked the most was that they arrived at earth 150,000 years ago. This explained why their mythology lined up with our Greek mythology.

In the original series they arrived in the 80's, they decided to take kids down to the planet first, the kids had super powers because of the different gravity and hilarity ensued. For good reason Galactica 1980 only lasted 10 episodes.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep.
I went to see it today. Exactly the same as the workprint but with finished effects (which were kinda crappy...surely they could have done better).
Anyhoo...that description is exactly the ending tag I saw.
Made no sense, other than to set up another film, I guess.

Oh, and on the topic of BSG (new)....loved it. I still don't fully understand all the twisty timelines and historical points, but the show was fantastic.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
There is no question that BSG, much like lost, needed to be watched from day one. The story was way deep and very complicated but that being said it was incredibly rich. Having grown up with the original I was very skeptical but quickly fell in love with the re-imagined version.

I really like the ending of the new BSG vs. the original series. The new series made sense where as the original one was beyond hokey.

In the re-imagined BSG they found a new rich habital plant. The planet actually was not earth. The found the remnants of the 13th colony on Earth and it was a nuked out wasteland. Adama decide to simply call this new planet earth as it was really what they were searching for regardless if it was the real earth or not. They decide to adopt the primitive life style to break the human/Cylon Armageddon cycle. Apparently the humans creating Cylon's, Cylons destroying humans had happened before. The thing I liked the most was that they arrived at earth 150,000 years ago. This explained why their mythology lined up with our Greek mythology.

In the original series they arrived in the 80's, they decided to take kids down to the planet first, the kids had super powers because of the different gravity and hilarity ensued. For good reason Galactica 1980 only lasted 10 episodes.

Again, not watching much I understand that I would miss a lot, but in that last show they showed what WAS earth as the planet they were orbiting, and then just seems to give up after that long search and said this is good enough. I took it as they did make it but didn't realize... :shrug: Second big issue early on in the series...if the cylons were humanoid, had duplicates of many key crew members, some knew what they were, some didn't, how could the fleet not totally destroy itself from paranoia?? :dazzle: Just never caught me I guess. Couldn't beat Babylon 5 anyway...IMHO...:D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Again, not watching much I understand that I would miss a lot, but in that last show they showed what WAS earth as the planet they were orbiting, and then just seems to give up after that long search and said this is good enough. I took it as they did make it but didn't realize... :shrug: Second big issue early on in the series...if the cylons were humanoid, had duplicates of many key crew members, some knew what they were, some didn't, how could the fleet not totally destroy itself from paranoia?? :dazzle: Just never caught me I guess. Couldn't beat Babylon 5 anyway...IMHO...:D
It was earth as we know it but in the story it was not the real earth. At the point that they got to our Earth the fleet was pretty much done. The Glactica could barely move let alone jump, the people on board the ships in the fleet were ready to kill each other. Settling on this planet was really their only option. The fleet nearly did tear itself apart due to the paranoia and it really did not improve matters when Adama made an alliance with a group of rebel Cylons. That alliance spawned a military coupe and nearly destroyed the entire fleet.

imagineer boy

Just got back from it. I thought it was alright, I enjoyed it more than X3. The important thing for me was that it tied up a lot of loose ends from X2 (I'm not a comic reader). The main problem for me was that the beginning of the film shot along at break neck speed so that the whole thing (spoilers) of Wolverine accidentally killing his father was confusing as heck.

WDWFREAK53

Just got back from it. I thought it was alright, I enjoyed it more than X3. The important thing for me was that it tied up a lot of loose ends from X2 (I'm not a comic reader). The main problem for me was that the beginning of the film shot along at break neck speed so that the whole thing (spoilers) of Wolverine accidentally killing his father was confusing as heck.

SPOILERS!

IMO they ruined Deadpool. Man, Ryan Reynolds did a great Deadpool at the beginning and that scene with him taking out those armed guards was awesome. What were they thinking though? Ok, so now he has swords that come from his hands (why would you take this guy's talent and then just throw it out the window?). Having swords for hands takes away mobility. You could swing a sword around faster if you were holding it than you could if it was atttached to your hand. :shrug:

Next. Have him teleport and shoot beams from his eyes?!?!?!?! Oh yeah, and cover up his mouth so he can't be a wisecracking a-hole. I love how his severed head fell perfectly as it fell. It didn't "tumble" or anything, it stayed upright and rotated around perfectly until it hit the ground. :rolleyes:

BTW, I got the Deadpool ending.

Was it enjoyable? Eh, it was a popcorn movie that was entertaining...but nothing more. (I guess that's what I was prepared for anyways). I'll pick it up on DVD when it comes out because I'm a completist but nothing about the movie "wow'd" me.

Thrill Seeker

I watched it last night and echo what everyone else is saying. It was an enjoyable summer movie, but it wasn't a great movie by any means. Yes, they ruined Deadpool. That is not at all how he was suppose to be. The only part they got right was the fact that he had Wolverine's healing power. That was true. The rest of it was garbage.

Now I'm a bit pickier with my movies than most people since I am a film student at UCF, but I had more complaints than just the ending...

*Spoiler alert*

1. Way too many action movie cliches. I mean come on, there were so many standard action movie scenes in this that I began to wonder if there was some kind of bet made with Gavin Hood to try to put as many stereotypical action movie moments in his movie as possible. I tried counting and ran out of fingers after the helicopter blew up and Wolverine walked heroically past the explosion...

2. Too many cameo appearances. Yes I know a bunch of classic X-Men characters who everyone has wanted to see since the beginning appeared in this movie, but there were a bit too many. The Blob could have been eliminated completely, Cyclops shouldn't have been there for continuity reasons (if he went through all of that, you'd think he would know who Wolverine was and recall some of what happened) and of course poor Deadpool who only really had one scene where he was his true self. Gambit was cool, but wasn't in long enough either.

3. Gambit's accent kept going in and out, which was bugging me.

4. They put way too much make up on Patrick Stewart to make him look younger. He looked very weird and kinda creepy because of it.

Other than that, I thought it was a fun popcorn flick that was worth watching.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom