Wow!!! The Fantasy had THE RIDE last night!!!

Sweetpea the rest of the voyage was great. The beginning of the cruise was absolutely wonderful all the way through Wednesday. It wasn't till Wednesday late afternoon that we started getting the slightly rough seas. I went swimming on Thursday during midday and loved it. There was a gentle rocking by that point that made it hard to walk but in the pool you could float in a circle. (I am a little kooky, I know). Friday was the day that closed the AquaDuck and most of the exterior of the ship. My husband is a smoker who needs a regular cigarette and by that point they had closed most of the smoking areas off to the general public and only the diehard smokers ventured out to deck 13 Forward. Saturday the only smoking area open was in the outside patio at the Meridian. When we went there there was broken glass on the floor that they were still trying to sweep up.

It was definitely a wild ride! I know that one of my table mates had flying anxiety and on Friday he was not able to attend dinner due to everything that was happening on the ship.

The drive back home to Houston was more traumatic for me....Not driving again unless there are more people who can drive. It was just me and my husband.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Sweetpea the rest of the voyage was great. The beginning of the cruise was absolutely wonderful all the way through Wednesday. It wasn't till Wednesday late afternoon that we started getting the slightly rough seas. I went swimming on Thursday during midday and loved it. There was a gentle rocking by that point that made it hard to walk but in the pool you could float in a circle. (I am a little kooky, I know). Friday was the day that closed the AquaDuck and most of the exterior of the ship. My husband is a smoker who needs a regular cigarette and by that point they had closed most of the smoking areas off to the general public and only the diehard smokers ventured out to deck 13 Forward. Saturday the only smoking area open was in the outside patio at the Meridian. When we went there there was broken glass on the floor that they were still trying to sweep up.

It was definitely a wild ride! I know that one of my table mates had flying anxiety and on Friday he was not able to attend dinner due to everything that was happening on the ship.

The drive back home to Houston was more traumatic for me....Not driving again unless there are more people who can drive. It was just me and my husband.

I've always wondered what it would be like to be in one of the pools and have the water moving like you see in the videos. Oh man! I hadn't even thought of how the smokers survived. Gotta be able to get outside.

Sorry about that drive home. It's a loooooong way, isn't it? We made the drive from PC to the Beaumont area in May and it seemed like it would never end.

Again, I'm so glad you don't seem to have been too freaked out by the happenings on the ship. Just think, you can say, "I was there." Wowzers!

This story seems to be gaining in popularity. Several other news outlets are picking up on it. Here's another at the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/hurricane-sandy-tosses-disney-cruise_n_2038771.html

They state in the stories that the water spilled from the Quiet Cove pool into the hallways which I read did happen but then they show that video with the water sloshing about by the bar, stools, and those benches. What you don't see in that video is that area where those benches are, those stools, and the front side of that bar are INSIDE the pool. There's always ankle deep water there. I think the articles want you to think that's video/pics of the water outside the pool. LOL! See?

Disney-Fantasy-5836.JPG

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They state in the stories that the water spilled from the Quiet Cove pool into the hallways which I read did happen but then they show that video with the water sloshing about by the bar, stools, and those benches. What you don't see in that video is that area where those benches are, those stools, and the front side of that bar are INSIDE the pool. There's always ankle deep water there. I think the articles want you to think that's video/pics of the water outside the pool. LOL! See?
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.:D

Disneyfalcon

Disney-Fantasy-5836.JPG

I noticed that too, lol. There is definitely some embellishing going on, though it's not necessarily intentional. I think a lot of the passengers saw everything on the floors in the stores and some furniture turned over, when in reality, many things were put like that intentionally so they wouldn't break. The baskets of bottles of alcohol on the floors in the store? The bottles didn't fall into the baskets, they were taken off the shelves to be safe.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.:D

Of course. I could tell you some stories......like during Ike in '08 some friends of ours saw one of the Weather Channel crews filming on the side of a highway that travels thru a marsh area. The reporter being filmed was on his knees in a ditch. What schmucks. :rolleyes:

I noticed that too, lol. There is definitely some embellishing going on, though it's not necessarily intentional. I think a lot of the passengers saw everything on the floors in the stores and some furniture turned over, when in reality, many things were put like that intentionally so they wouldn't break. The baskets of bottles of alcohol on the floors in the store? The bottles didn't fall into the baskets, they were taken off the shelves to be safe.

True. I noticed that. No doubt it was rougher than was anticipated otherwise furniture and things would've been secured ahead of time. But a lot of things were laid down last minute as a quick effort. You can definitely see that.

Hope you're still doing alright, Tammy. I'm watching closely for you and all my other friends up your way.

Disneyfalcon

True. I noticed that. No doubt it was rougher than was anticipated otherwise furniture and things would've been secured ahead of time. But a lot of things were laid down last minute as a quick effort. You can definitely see that.

Hope you're still doing alright, Tammy. I'm watching closely for you and all my other friends up your way.

Thanks, Kelly! We are still good. It's rainy and windy but we still have power so far. Supposed to get worse this evening.

iloverags2

Hurricane Sandy TRASHES Disney Fantasy Cruise Ship??? Are they for real??? It was certainly not trashed...I have seen far worse trashing of ships from storms. Sensationalism at its finest.

You know, the first time I watched that video (yesterday) I thought the same thing about the pool and those bar stools already being in the shallow end of the pool surrounded by water!

Keep safe everyone who is in Sandy's path!

Yes Tammy most of the items had been put up both in the gift shops and on deck. There were some areas that were obvious that they didnt think of immediately but over all the ship fared well. I was talking with a CM on Saturday morning and they said that they were probably not going to open the shops on Saturday and may have to shift some of the show times for the various activities on the ship.

So a lot of the items were secured way ahead of time but Captain Tom had even said during the announcement Friday night (really Saturday at 12:30am) that the seas were rougher than they had expected. So I think that this was the first major storm that Fantasy had experienced. They had taken away the furniture on Deck 13 on Thursday eve so that was secured way ahead of time. I believe that the Quiet Cove Pool probably did slosh over because it was very wet in front of the Forward elevators. They had even set up a giant fan, but there was so much moisture the door jamb metal on the ground was still very slippery. I slipped on it and saw at least two others slip on it.

I should say that none of us that I witnessed slip actually fell.

Disneyfalcon

Yes Tammy most of the items had been put up both in the gift shops and on deck. There were some areas that were obvious that they didnt think of immediately but over all the ship fared well. I was talking with a CM on Saturday morning and they said that they were probably not going to open the shops on Saturday and may have to shift some of the show times for the various activities on the ship.

So a lot of the items were secured way ahead of time but Captain Tom had even said during the announcement Friday night (really Saturday at 12:30am) that the seas were rougher than they had expected. So I think that this was the first major storm that Fantasy had experienced. They had taken away the furniture on Deck 13 on Thursday eve so that was secured way ahead of time. I believe that the Quiet Cove Pool probably did slosh over because it was very wet in front of the Forward elevators. They had even set up a giant fan, but there was so much moisture the door jamb metal on the ground was still very slippery. I slipped on it and saw at least two others slip on it.

It's good to hear a level headed first hand report of the damage, Mandi. This is the first big storm I remember for the Fantasy, and it was certainly worse than your average storm. The broken glass is evidence of that. We've been in 20 ft+ seas before and the pools definitely splashed over.

iloverags2

Not sure if we can post links to Cruise Critic here, but someone who sailed on the Carnival Dream that was delayed into PC by one day (one of the ships that decided to wait out the storm an extra day) has started a trip report. They mention Saturday being a very rough day for them as well, and have a picture of NCL's Sky from Saturday during the day which shows the bow of the ship dipping forward into the sea. (I'm sure the picture looks much worse than it was!) In any event, I think it really didn't matter if you headed back to PC or waited out the storm - the ship was going to rock and roll quite a bit no matter where you were.

I would post this elsewhere, but you guys are much nicer over here and won't bite my head off for mentioning this. :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of course. I could tell you some stories......like during Ike in '08 some friends of ours saw one of the Weather Channel crews filming on the side of a highway that travels thru a marsh area. The reporter being filmed was on his knees in a ditch. What schmucks. :rolleyes:
I have seen/heard of similar things myself. A couple of local radio guys busted a TV reporter during one of Jacksonville's near misses by a hurricane about a decade ago. A reporter was being filmed next to a sign that was being shook by someone lying on the ground just out of frame.

More recently when we actually did get hit by Issac earlier this year there was a reporter doing a piece about the "flood waters" while standing in a water filled pot hole next to the St Johns river.

Disneyfalcon

Not sure if we can post links to Cruise Critic here, but someone who sailed on the Carnival Dream that was delayed into PC by one day (one of the ships that decided to wait out the storm an extra day) has started a trip report. They mention Saturday being a very rough day for them as well, and have a picture of NCL's Sky from Saturday during the day which shows the bow of the ship dipping forward into the sea. (I'm sure the picture looks much worse than it was!) In any event, I think it really didn't matter if you headed back to PC or waited out the storm - the ship was going to rock and roll quite a bit no matter where you were.

I would post this elsewhere, but you guys are much nicer over here and won't bite my head off for mentioning this. :D

I know of where you speak. Anyone trying to be more level headed is accused of insulting the posters who said they feared for their lives and are whom were pretty sure Captain Tom is the spawn of Satan for taking them back into port.

iloverags2

I know of where you speak. Anyone trying to be more level headed is accused of insulting the posters who said they feared for their lives and are whom were pretty sure Captain Tom is the spawn of Satan for taking them back into port.
And after seeing the NCL picture and hearing about the Carnival Dream's roller coaster ride as well on Saturday, they would think Capt Tom was the spawn of Satan for keeping them out in that awful storm an extra day if he had chosen to do that! He was in a no-win situation, that's for sure!

Disneyfalcon

And after seeing the NCL picture and hearing about the Carnival Dream's roller coaster ride as well on Saturday, they would think Capt Tom was the spawn of Satan for keeping them out in that awful storm an extra day if he had chosen to do that! He was in a no-win situation, that's for sure!

Absolutely.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster

Girl, I just can't say enough how refreshing it is to read a non-hysterical first-hand witness. I know that sounds awful. On that other forum Cindy & Tammy referenced I think those people would lynch the captain if they could. String him up and everything. It's pretty bad.

Oh man! Where are you seeing this stuff, Cindy! I wanna see, too!!!! All those people over on that other site are screamin' about 60' waves but none of the buoy reports that we've been able to find say that. At least one person over there acknowledged that the rolling & pitching often made it look like waves towering over the ship when in reality they were looking down into the waves as they pitched.

I have seen/heard of similar things myself. A couple of local radio guys busted a TV reporter during one of Jacksonville's near misses by a hurricane about a decade ago. A reporter was being filmed next to a sign that was being shook by someone lying on the ground just out of frame.

More recently when we actually did get hit by Issac earlier this year there was a reporter doing a piece about the "flood waters" while standing in a water filled pot hole next to the St Johns river.

Yep. Not surprised AT ALL. The media is such a joke. We look to the news for information but it's all so unreliable you can't count on them to give you accurate stuff. It's not about news. It's about ratings.

Yep. I had to stop reading over there because it's absurd. That's where WDWMagic will always be my "home". People here just aren't wound up that tight. Sheesh!

Yep. Totally agreed. It was a no-win all the way around. I'm glad you made it over here with me in May, Cindy, because you're definitely a perfect fit with our bunch. Now to just find a way to stow you away with us on the Girls Cruise next September... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom