Would you go to WDW Sick?

Would You or your Kids Travel to WDW Sick?

• Total voters

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
So the other day I'm sitting outside The Plaza, waiting at at table for my lunch and at the table next to me, there's this 11 or 12-year-old plague victim who's coughing non stop, with zero regard for anyone around her. Clearly feverish from the look, clad in her Princess Dress and obviously wasn't taught to cover her mouth. And I'm not talking the average traveling sniffles we all seem to get, I'm talking full on, Steven King's The Stand superflu symptoms.

The parents did nothing to alleviate the situation. Me, I hopped tables pretty quick because I didn't want to come down with that plague but still ended up with a touch of it.

So this left me thinking.... why on earth would you go to a theme park when you're that sick? Why would you make it worse for yourself let-alone spread this virus to others?

Thoughts?

Schneewittchen

Only three things will keep my family from enjoying our vacation: fevers, vomit and explosive diarrhea.

I just read something about kindergartners getting 12 colds a year. That's about right in my household. As soon as the last running nose/cough/nasty snot fest ends, the kids get a new one. If I kept my kid home every time he had a cold, he'd have made it to school about 5 days this year.....

Goofyernmost

Well, first of all... She didn't go to a theme park sick, she was brought to a theme park sick. So the question would be why would they bring a sick kid to a theme park? Easy! Money... they spend probably thousands of dollars to make a trip, plan it for probably a year. It's possible that the plague didn't even hit her until after they were there. She still wanted to see the place and the parents didn't want to throw away that much money, so the forged out ahead.

Sickness, is looked upon differently by different people. When I grew up, you were a weak assed wimp if you let sickness stop you from your obligations. We all went to work sick unless we were bleeding from the ears. I know, times are different, and the reasons for not going are far stronger now than back then. What you saw was someone that was blatantly sick. The chances are that you were even closer to people that were even more contagious, but, didn't show it. Life is a crap shoot.

s8film40

With the issue of basic manners that was described aside I do tend to be more forgiving of this in the parks. I've known people who if this happened and they opted not to go, it would mean they simply don't get to go at least not for another 4 years or so.

On the other hand though being at parks all the time really helps build up your immunity, I haven't been sick in a very long time.:)

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Only three things will keep my family from enjoying our vacation: fevers, vomit and explosive diarrhea.

I just read something about kindergartners getting 12 colds a year. That's about right in my household. As soon as the last running nose/cough/nasty snot fest ends, the kids get a new one. If I kept my kid home every time he had a cold, he'd have made it to school about 5 days this year.....

There's a giant difference between having the sniffles/cold and having a fever and spreading the plague IMO.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Well, first of all... She didn't go to a theme park sick, she was brought to a theme park sick. So the question would be why would they bring a sick kid to a theme park? Easy! Money... they spend probably thousands of dollars to make a trip, plan it for probably a year. It's possible that the plague didn't even hit her until after they were there. She still wanted to see the place and the parents didn't want to throw away that much money, so the forged out ahead.

Sickness, is looked upon differently by different people. When I grew up, you were a weak assed wimp if you let sickness stop you from your obligations. We all went to work sick unless we were bleeding from the ears. I know, times are different, and the reasons for not going are far stronger now than back then. What you saw was someone that was blatantly sick. The chances are that you were even closer to people that were even more contagious, but, didn't show it. Life is a crap shoot.

I really don't care how much money they dropped. That's not an excuse to spread the plague.

bjlc57

Well my kid got sick like the second or third day into our trip... and she toughed it out.. her husband got her cold on the way home and my wife got it the day after we got back.. there was nothing we could do .. the money was spent.. and none of us seemed to be getting sick.. so we had a good time.. now my wife has missed a few days of work since she was home.. but she didn't really get sick until having come home..

Goofyernmost

I really don't care how much money they dropped. That's not an excuse to spread the plague.
I understand what you are saying even if the "plague" might be a tiny bit of an exaggeration. :joyfull: But you asked why they would be there if they were sick and, to me, that is the reason. We don't always have to like or accept the reason as logical, but, total control of our surroundings is quite difficult. :)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying even if the "plague" might be a tiny bit of an exaggeration. :joyfull: But you asked why they would be there if they were sick and, to me, that is the reason. We don't always have to like or accept the reason as logical, but, total control of our surroundings is quite difficult. :)

The girl looked like she was ready for the ER, not the teacups.

R W B

It depends how sick. My fiancé and have a 10 day trip payed for in February so unless my doctor tells me you are highly contagious and don't go out, I'm going lol. Now of course I'll carry hand sanitizer like always and maybe some tissues if needed but if it's just the common cold I'll be there. To be honest I've gotten sick in wdw and just kept going.

Florida_is_hot

What the original poster described is wrong. Yes people spend thousands, yes kids get sick but you can spend the $100 if you are already spending thousands on insurance ? or you can tell the parents "THINK ABOUT OTHERS". I know think about others, it is hard this time of year..... but tell the little darling ..... cover your mouth does not hurt or what about the masks? I came home from Walt Disney World more than once sick and the parents are to blame.

Disneyhead'71

To be fair, sometimes with kids, it comes on quick. For all we know, when they got up, the girl was like, "I don't think I feel good", with no visible signs of the impeding zombiefication. Super Mom whips out the bubble gum flavored liquid Motrin and they're off the park. 3 hours later she looks like an extra from The Walking Dead.

A hypothetical. So they decide to bail and go back to the resort. But it's meal time and regardless, everyone needs to to eat. They have ADRs at The Plaza that they could skip, but then the credit card would be hit with the cancelation fee. And then back at the resort you still have to feed everyone. So they hit The Plaza on the way out.

OK, I know that's probably giving them way to much credit. Most likely they took the poor thing, dressed in a polyester Princess dress, on a 12 mile hike in the swamp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom