Worst smoking area

Sofiesmom

My husband and I are smokers and we agree with some of the points. However, we are human beings and we have rights just like anyone else. If their is a small child around while smoking we will walk away or put it out. We have a 10 year old so we understand the effects of smoking. We are not drinkers yet there is alcohol in every park but MK. We dont like people that drink because it smells, they act stupid and how do you explain to your child why someone why someone is loud and boisterous and falling on themselves? I know everyone has an opinion but I dont think bashing smokers is any more right then any other prejudice. If you dont like it, you are just going to have to deal with it. It isnt going to stop. We deal with crazy drunks. Why do people need to drink on their vacations with children in tow.

I dont mean to start an argument but I cannot stand people bashing other people when everyone has their own right to do whatever they want.

John

For disclosure I am a smoker, I do remember when you could smoke anywhere in the parks. I remember when you could smoke on a plane or on a bus. That certianally dosnt make it right. As we all know Disney is for everyone.....even smokers. As mentioned smoking is looked upon differently all over the world. Japan has a high percent of people smoking. Infact the tobacco companies have shifted most of their marketing efforts toward these countries. IMO I too wish that some of the smoking were "hidden" better. I dont drink alcohol, IMO alcohol is just as dangerous os smoking is. Without knowing the statistics I would imagine it might be second to smoking in causeing deaths among Americans when you include drunk driving etc. Walt might have been a chain smoker but he too wasnt a big fan of alcohol. Should Alcohol be "banned" all over the parks as it is in MK ? Please dont tell me that alcohol dosnt have the impact on guest that smoking does.....obnoxious, drunk, rude guest impact us all as well.

I hate smoking, but it is a very powerful drug. Those of you who have quit.....I appluade you, its a very hard habit to quit. Those of you who dont smoke and never have....you have to realize that a large percentage of people who smoke wish they didnt.....dont give me that..... "its all will power". I try to be couteous when I smoke. I NEVER throw butts on the ground. I think maybe DIsney could put up those white tents where people could go inside to smoke. Put some of those electronic smoke eaters in there, three things are accomplished. Guest are less impacted by the smoke, Kiddies dont have to see a bunch of smoke hounds and the air we breath is being cleaned.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Until its illegal (probably never) it has to be controlled not banned. Banning will make it out of control.

Back to the OP...

The restrooms next to Spaceship Earth. Amazing it was right outside the doors. For a time.

CaptainShortty

As someone who quit a year ago. Doesn't it suck you are so controlled that you have to light up on a vacation that costs you thousands? That's one of the reasons I quit. I imagined execs sitting in an office with millions of dollars on their desk, swimming in money laughing at my addiction and lack of control as I gave them my hard earned money to slowly kill myself.

In 2010 I was stopping at mosts smoking destinations through the park to smoke as my son (2 1/2 at the time) sat so patiently waiting to keep enjoying the most magical place ever as I puffed my lungs out. I can't wait to go next week and keep walking (in better shape and easier to breathe) to the next attraction for my son without a small paper wrapped chemical pulling on my sleeve to smoke it. Hell yeah!!!!

Good for you! Congratulations on quitting!

InLikeFlynn

Another vote for the area next to the castle for a few reasons...it sprawls everyone out so like someone mentioned above, you can't easily hold your breath and get by. Another big issue we encountered was during Rapunzel's stay in Fairytale Garden, the line backed up daily to the area where the smokers were. So if you wanted to wait in her line, you were often in a cloud of smoke. And finally - Cinderella's wishing well is in that area too. It's a beautiful spot for photos and we love to visit it. But it is often too filled with smokers to spend any time at. I also have a child with respiratory issues, so it's more than just a nasty smell to us.

InLikeFlynn

Walt might have been a chain smoker but he too wasnt a big fan of alcohol. Should Alcohol be "banned" all over the parks as it is in MK ? Please dont tell me that alcohol dosnt have the impact on guest that smoking does.....obnoxious, drunk, rude guest impact us all as well.

Alcohol becomes an ssue on the roads...we probably all know someone killed by a drunk driver (I can think of 4 offhand). However, a drunk walking around a park and being rude won't potentially give me cancer.

MickeyPeace

Smoking is horrible and it should be banned from the parks. For those who think people would smoke anyway, they wouldn't. They would get used to the new rule. This was done in NYC many years ago. No smoking in bars, restaurants: any space with a roof of covering over it. People thought there would be anarchy when this law went into effect. Nothing happened. Everyone complied. Everyone is happy. Life went on.

The worst smoking area for me is also the one the OP listed. That beautiful walkway by the Rivers of America in Frontierland.

And Walt may have chain smoked. But that was in the 1060s. And he died of lung cancer.

DisneyWall-E

I used to be a smoker. I think it should be banned from the parks too. But, I know thats not going to happen. How about some enclosed(sp?) themed smoking rooms with great venting? That would make me happy. All IMHO.

wendysue

What is the worst location for a designated smoking area in the parks?

My pick, MK: Heading from the Liberty Belle toward Splash Mountain, on the lowered wooden walkway. I can see why they put one here, it's off the main path, but I really like walking this route.

Honorable mention, also MK; Adventure Land: The one that competes with the scent of Dole Whip in the air.

It's not in a park, but I think one of the worst smoking areas is just outside the doors of Pop Century. After you check in and you head out the automatic doors to find your room, here is the smoking area. You have to walk right next to it to get to the main pool and the rooms when coming from check in. It's disgusting!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Smoking areas are worse than people smoking in random spots because the smell is so concentrated.

I'd rather walk past one person smoking where they shouldn't be than twenty people smoking in a smoking area ANY day.

alissafalco

Never say never about smoking being banned in the parks. I actually think it will happen sometime in the future. Everyone was up in arms when it came out that NY was thinking of banning smoking in Bars/restaurants/clubs. Protests, saying it will never happen, there's no where for them to go etc. Every excuse came up as to why it wouldn't work, and guess what? There is no smoking now in any of those places. I think eventually the parks will go that route also.

wiigirl

Magic Kingdom next to the castle

x2
75.gif

Avenger117

Something like 25% of the population smokes so you militant non-smokers are out of luck, there will be smoking areas in WDW. For the what would Walt do folks, Walt was a chain smoker and he made sure there was enough people with dust pans running around DL to pick the butts off the ground. I guess I'm getting old because not to long ago you could smoke every where and I'm sure you would have had a stroke getting on an airplane with people smoking....

In the end get over it.

I'm sure thats what Walt would do, but I think a lot of people wish he wouldn't have. I think a lot of people on here wish Walt was there to see the completion of his greatest project, but a tumor of the lung prevented him from doing so. I think its a bad habit that people should do in their own homes. The smoke in the air and butts littering the ground are annoying to the "75%" that do not smoke.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't mind if people smoke in the parks in the smoking sections. The smoking sections are marked on the map so if people really want to avoid them they can. I do agree that some smoking sections are placed a little close to main throughfares, but some have nice out of they way locations. I actually like the smoking area by Big Thunder Mountain, at night if there aren't a lot or any smokers in that section I like to sit there and enjoy Frontierland at night on the rockers and I am not a smoker. I do think it is a waste of time to sit and smoke while on vacation, but perhaps it is a waste of time when I sit on a bench to enjoy my Mickey Premium Bar too. Plus if smoking was completely banned in the park where would these smokers go to smoke? To the parking lot? That would be a huge hassle for them that just isn't needed.

I was surprised to see a very nice smoking area at the Grand Floridian. It was a covered porch with tables chairs and ash trays on the tables. I kind of laughed compared to some of the smoking areas I have passed this one would get 4 stars. Sorry to get off topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom