Worst job to have at WDW?

Prof. Aronnax

I haven't seen anybody mention the CM's that sign people in at the restaurants. I couldn't count the number of times that I witnessed guests complaining to CM's about "why this family or that family was seated before them" or "I've been here for 45 minutes and I have a reservation". I think that would be significantly worse than cleaning up poo. I worked on a farm, after a while you tend to get habituated to animal poo.

That being said, I have found the greeter at Le Chef de France to be very entertaining. In a snarky TV host sort of way, only way more charming. He seems to keep a healthy sense of humor despite the constant harrassment by guests.

i have heard various CMs say that working Fantasmic is the worse job, because when they used to do two shows in the same night, they had to hurry up and clean up the theater before the next show, and it was "gross"......plus people get cranky when they have to wait on a show to start....:shrug:

klineski96

Original Poster
Sorry for the thread bump.

We went to Epcot yesterday and I saw what could be one of the most boring jobs at WDW.

In Living With The Land, there is a person who sits at a little desk thing right before your boat goes outside into the circular section... and from what I can tell, simply watches the boats go by.

Everytime I ride it, the person in that chairs looks bored beyond belief! Like they are just counting down the minutes until their shift ends. I actually felt kinda bad for the kid on Thursday morning because he already looked miserable, and it was shortly after 9am so you know his shift just started!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to pass a CM :snore:.

Anyone know what the purpose of this role is? To me it's the equivalent of someone just sitting next to the track of Spaceship Earth or the Nemo ride.

Gorjus

It really isn't a bad gig at all to be outside and work for 20 minutes and get 40 minutes off every hour. Now the parade on the other hand is tough.

Number_6

Sorry for the thread bump.

We went to Epcot yesterday and I saw what could be one of the most boring jobs at WDW.

In Living With The Land, there is a person who sits at a little desk thing right before your boat goes outside into the circular section... and from what I can tell, simply watches the boats go by.

Everytime I ride it, the person in that chairs looks bored beyond belief! Like they are just counting down the minutes until their shift ends. I actually felt kinda bad for the kid on Thursday morning because he already looked miserable, and it was shortly after 9am so you know his shift just started!

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to pass a CM :snore:.

Anyone know what the purpose of this role is? To me it's the equivalent of someone just sitting next to the track of Spaceship Earth or the Nemo ride.

That person is overseeing the controls that operate the loading and unloading of the boats, as well as their start. If there is an issue of any sort, they would know, especially since there are no longer CMs acting as guides on the boats themselves anymore. That person is the only one that would know about a problem and be able to contact maintenance to come repair it.

I worked two jobs for Disney. The first was as Resort Dispatch. This is the person that directs the cars coming up to valet, runs the valet booth taking care of the keys and sending the valets to park and pick up cars and also runs the Bell desk, sending the bellhops to rooms. Their final task is to handle getting transfer guests luggage to their new resort(someone staying at Contemporary for two nights, then going to Boardwalk, for example). That job wasn't so bad. Only had one really bad time of it where a Mears Airport Shuttle driver didn't like that I told him he couldn't pull up where cars for valey parking go and threatened me with physical violence. Turns out had I defended myself, I would have been fired. Go figure.

My other job with Disney was at DisneyQuest. I had a lot of fun working there for the most part, but if you got stuck working "Magic Carpets of Aladdin" for more than two hours at a time, then it really got annoying. Mostly because of hearing the video for people in the line over and over, and having to clean the headsets between every run, with four groups going at a time. I was very lucky one night, though, because I was supposed to start at CyberSpace Mountain and literally a minute before I got to my station, there was a protein spill. The person that is at the station when it happens, is responsible for cleaning it up, so I avoided one of the nastiest parts of the job.

fmingo36

The "furry dressed characters" are out meeting guests for about half an hour at a time when they're inside or its cooler out. Its less than that the warmer it is. But yes, they do get very warm sweaty in the costumes (I work in costuming & deal with the dirty stuff.)

The dirty stuff--that must be an unpleasant job at WDW.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

I don't really know the official term for it but while in line at RNRC there was a guy replacing all of the trash bags in every can with new bags. Not only did this look annoying and kinda awkward with everyone staring at you but I have also had to do this at my previous job. I worked at Kings Island last year in rides and at Son of Beast and Flight Deck every close shift we worked we stayed an hour after the park closed going to every trash can in our longest lines of the park replacing every bag. :brick:
Best job I have ever had though!

PLeyava

I'm with you on this one - I'd rather scoop up after the horse than clean up protein spills.

It's really not that bad. If I have a protein spill at Tea Cups (yes, I get those often) I put Voban on it (like a wooden dust) that makes it dry, and a custodian comes and sweeps it up, done. Takes about 5 minutes, it's not bad at all. There is no CM on the floor with paper towels, lol.

Costumes is bad yes, but at least they only work for 30 minutes maximum, then get a 30 minute break, so you're never on stage for too long and you are instantly given water, a cool room and a place to sit every break. You're taken care of.

Strollers could be a pain yes, I hate moving them, can only imagine handling them every night, lol.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'd guess that hosting at a restaurant would be just about the worst job. I've hosted (outside of WDW) before and despised it. The customers yell at you for the fault of other customers, and the wait staff yells at you for the fault of rotation and chance...
Add that with the families who feel that their vacation should be made more special than other people's vacation... oh boy... :lookaroun

TheBeatles

I haven't seen anybody mention the CM's that sign people in at the restaurants. I couldn't count the number of times that I witnessed guests complaining to CM's about "why this family or that family was seated before them" or "I've been here for 45 minutes and I have a reservation". I think that would be significantly worse than cleaning up poo. I worked on a farm, after a while you tend to get habituated to animal poo.

I work at WDW right now and have to do this. It's really not so bad. If you know how to handle the concern then it's no big deal.

There are plenty of CMs who have been around a long time that back you up if someone starts to get out of line.

The assignor of a WDW restaurant is a tough job. They deal with everyone and everything since they are in control of the dining room.

bennyw01

how bout the people who work the receiving end of the trash tubes down in the utilidoors, imagine trash being sucked towards you all day. unless its all mech but either way someone's goto move it at some point, in the summer heat that must suck!. also the person who has to catch the constantly roaming iguana-don at dinosaur

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom