Worried!

dmatt87

Hi folks,

We are going to WDW for our honeymoon from the 20th to the 28th.

I just look at the weather forecast for that week and it's rain and thunderstorms all days with NO sun...

Should I be worried and start rethinking our daily schedule?:confused:

Missymoe4

Pack rain gear, but I wouldn't worry all too much.

Although it is the rainy season, I would be prepared, but don't let it worry you. I looked up the forecast the day before my trip and saw 10 days of rain. Guess what? It rained one night when I was there for about an hour. So much for the 9 other days. Thing is, in the tropical weather, it can rain every single day. But it usually lasts for a little bit of time (I've only been to WDW once in my life out of 30 where it rained the entire day).

Congrats on your marriage and go have the honeymoon of your life!!!
Whoo-hoo!!!

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Don't start replanning. The weather in Florida is more than unpredictable so if you start replanning now odds are you're going to do it a hundred times because the weather will keep changing and then it still won't end up right. Pack the rain gear and stick it out. The rain won't be the best but it'll keep the parks less crowded which is always a plus. Generally it won't rain the whole day either but if you get a day that's a total wash you can always switch things around (pending you have park hoppers to get to any needed ADRs). Other than that, just go with the flow and have a wonderful time celebrating your marriage!

Upvote 0

dmatt87

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! I will get my rain gear and ride it out.

What do you suggest to use as rain gear? And can I get ponchos on-site? If so, where?

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

It absolutely poured on us a few days of our trip last summer and yea it made things a bit more difficult, but the disposable ponchos we brought with us made it very enjoyable and led to some of our favorite pics.

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

I always purchase my ponchos at home (walmart, target, camping store, etc). I've bought them for .85 cents - 1.00. I have had the same 10 throw-away ponchos for the past 5 years (that's how much we have used them). If the weather looks threatening before leaving the room, we take the ponchos. After we use them, we throw them away. This way we don't have to carry wet ponchos.

I don't know how much they run down there now, but I have heard that they are quite expensive. Also, the ponchos down there are made of a heavier material than the throw-away ones I purchase.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Hi folks,

We are going to WDW for our honeymoon from the 20th to the 28th.

I just look at the weather forecast for that week and it's rain and thunderstorms all days with NO sun...

Should I be worried and start rethinking our daily schedule?:confused:

Hay your on your honeymoon just have a great time! Relax after all that wedding planning you need it! And besides you ARE on your Honeymoon should'nt you be spending some time in that room??? :eek:

Sorry could'nt resist......just thinking back to our honeymoon at the World!!!!
Not to much though you can do about the weather , we'll be there the same week as you.....just hope for the best!
And Congrats!

Upvote 0

jlevis

The ponchos you get at the parks are $8 and are flimsy. Get some rain gear at home, the kind that fold up that you can carry in a pack. Don't worry about the weather chances are if it does rain it will only last for a short time. Anyway, it is just liquid sunshine.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Definitely get your own ponchos at home - a couple of heavier weight ones just in case you get a really rainy day, and a few of the tiny, very light, $1 ones to keep in your pocket/bag/purse for the brief, but sometimes intense, showers. I would check out dollar type stores, or places like Big Lots - you want to purchase the really disposable ones as cheaply as possible. I would spend the money to get a better quality folding one that can be used multiple times without ripping for all day use. I have some camping ones, including an actual raincoat.

You really don't want to lose your new bride/groom/spouse in a sea of identical park ponchos. :lol:

BTW, a ball cap worn on top of a poncho hood during a deluge makes things much easier - keeps the hood on your head, and the rain off your face.

Of course, since I live in FL, I have a wide variety of rain gear, including some really heavy duty stuff.

Upvote 0

dmatt87

Original Poster
Definitely get your own ponchos at home - a couple of heavier weight ones just in case you get a really rainy day, and a few of the tiny, very light, $1 ones to keep in your pocket/bag/purse for the brief, but sometimes intense, showers. I would check out dollar type stores, or places like Big Lots - you want to purchase the really disposable ones as cheaply as possible. I would spend the money to get a better quality folding one that can be used multiple times without ripping for all day use. I have some camping ones, including an actual raincoat.

You really don't want to lose your new bride/groom/spouse in a sea of identical park ponchos. :lol:

BTW, a ball cap worn on top of a poncho hood during a deluge makes things much easier - keeps the hood on your head, and the rain off your face.

Of course, since I live in FL, I have a wide variety of rain gear, including some really heavy duty stuff.

Very insightful! Thank you, I will go shopping this afternoon :sohappy:

Upvote 0

sbkline

Another thing to keep in mind is that those forecasts often change as you get closer to the date. For example, when we were planning our April trip this year, I was curious what kind of weather to expect for the drive down. So when we were close enough that our travel dates fell within the 10 day forecast, I looked it up online and saw that it was calling for thunderstorms on the day that we were to be driving. I don't mind driving in rain, but I don't really want to be far from home, traveling 70 mph on the interstate and have it pouring down such that we can't see the road and have to pull off. Anyway, as a couple days went by and the trip got a little closer, I looked it up again and this time it was calling for clear skies. By the time we actually got on the road, we had clear skies the entire drive. And each time, I was checking the forecasts for the major cities on our travel route: Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Macon. And each of them were all calling for Thunderstorms those two days at first, and the closer we got to the trip, all those cities were then showing clear blue skies.

So don't necessarily trust anything that the forecast says right now for a trip in 10 days. Five days from now, you might look it up again, and it will be totally different than what it said the first time.

Either way, as others have said, Florida rain often tends to be very fleeting. The longest it has ever rained on us in Florida was this April, on our visit to Universal. It poured on us most of the morning. It was one of the few times that our plans had actually been affected by the rain, although the effect was minimal since there wasn't much there that our son could do anyway, but it did impair us from just casually walking around and checking out the place.

Last year, we had supper on night at the Grand Floridian Cafe, and I was hoping to go into the MK just for a little bit after supper. After we were done eating, I came out of the bathroom to find it raining cats and dogs. So naturally, we didn't go to the park, and decided to go on back to the room. By the time we got back to the room, it was pretty much done raining.

Another year, we went to the Magic Kingdom on a Sunday evening, and it was overcast and raining a little as we walked into Mickey's Philharmagic. We came out of the show to find bright, clear skies. :lol:

So to recap...don't trust anything the forecast says this far out in the first place. It could end up forecasting bright blue skies the day before your trip. And even if it does rain, it will probably come and go within an hour or two and then you'll be good to go the rest of the day.

Upvote 0

wendysue

We love a good hard rain when we are in the parks. It thins those ride lines quickly. We have had our pick of the rides in the past...:sohappy:

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

Thanks for the advice! I will get my rain gear and ride it out.

What do you suggest to use as rain gear? And can I get ponchos on-site? If so, where?

If you have one, I always pack a good rain jacket that folds up nice and small and just stuff it in my bag. I have one already at home that was quite expensive but I've gotten great use out of it. If you don't have one and don't want to spend the money the ponchos will work just fine. I happen to hate the things which is why I bring the jacket. Purchase a handful at home and pack them in your suitcase. It's way cheaper than buying them there.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

If you do wish to purchase the park ponchos you'll be able to get them literally everywhere and anywhere. Bigger shops pike Mousegear all the way down to little pin carts will put a stack of ponchos out where they will be easily found by guests in need when rain threatens. And like another poster mentioned, if your park poncho rips or tears (happens at the neck) anywhere that sells the ponchos will replace it for you. Another suggestion to keep you from blending into the crowd is to bring a jumbo sharpie & write your names really big on the front & back of your poncho.

Hubby & I will wear ponchos & huddle under his Mickey golf umbrella to keep the rain off our faces.

Like everyone else has said, don't fret over the weather forecast. The weather changes so frequently in Central Florida...that forecast will continually change right up to the morning of each day of your trip. Just take it day by day & remember the only thing better than a rainy Disney day is a rainy Disney day huddled under an umbrella with your one true love. :D

Upvote 0

eroyee

We had to buy the park ponchos once and they were expensive. Just for an hour and a half,too. Buy some at home and carry with you. Also, go to the parks and have fun. You would be surprised at how many people will go back to the resorts when it rains. You can have the park almost to yourselves! Its your honeymoon. Dont change anything and have a very magical trip. we honeymooned there,too, at POR. Congrats.......:sohappy:

Upvote 0

marcriss

We honeymooned at Disney in '98. We did 2 days at the contemporary, 3 day disney cruise and then back to the poly for 5 days before we were supposed to head to Hollywood Fl. Well, Hurricane season hit. It rained before we left on the cruise. (We still laugh about the horrible state of the wet clothes we checked at the hotel while on the cruise!)

The cruise was amazing and apparently kept changing course to avoid the storms we didn't know existed. So we had sun there. But then we wound up extending our stay at the Poly for the rest of our honeymoon because everyone from South florida was heading to Disney to avoid the weather!

So even though it rained pretty much everyday we were in Disney we had a blast. Know you're going to get wet, enjoy that the crowds in the park will be lighter because of the rain. And maybe you'll luck out and get some sun. We even did typhoon lagoon in the rain, why not?

BTW, I second The Mom on the baseball caps under the ponchos, it's the only way to keep your face dry. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

dmatt87

Original Poster
Thanks for the great tips!

We bought a set of matching blue punches this morning. I will bring a baseball cap and will spray my shoes with a waterproofing formula!

Can't wait to get there... 6 days only :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom