World of Color?

EPCOT Explorer

nemofinder22

A new press release on World of Color.

http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=447
"World of Color"

Innovative Entertainment Technology Drives ‘World of Color’ – the Next Milestone in Expansion of Disney’s California Adventure

ANAHEIM, Calif. (July 16, 2009) – Elaborate preparation is underway for “World of Color,” the spectacular nighttime water show that will astound guests with its magnitude and creativity when it debuts in spring 2010 as the next major milestone in the expansion of Disney’s California Adventure park. Surpassing all Disney water productions, “World of Color” will bring Disney animation to life with powerful fountains that become stars of the show as they create the world’s largest projected water screen.

For months now, guests at Disney’s California Adventure have been peering into the lagoon near Paradise Pier as Walt Disney Imagineering and Creative Entertainment have installed the massive infrastructure and innovative technology that will create the stage for this extraordinary combination of music, animation and stunning water effects. Teams of Disney workers have built nearly an acre of superstructure to support the complex “World of Color” production.

“World of Color” will combine hundreds of magnificent fountains, dazzling colors and an all-new kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects to take water-infused entertainment to a new level of artistry. The production will flood the senses, taking audiences on an imaginative journey into the colorful worlds of animated Disney classics such as “Alice in Wonderland,” “The Lion King” and “Pocahontas,” along with Disney•Pixar films “Toy Story,” “WALL-E” and many more.

Disney’s newest production features an unprecedented infrastructure of water effects, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and stunning images. This technical wizardry, combined with classic Disney film sequences, will create a breathtaking emotional experience for guests as jaw-dropping effects sweep across the lagoon, soar into the sky and rush toward the audience.

A newly designed 9,000-capacity viewing area will provide Disney’s California Adventure guests the best view in the park of this exciting nighttime extravaganza. The show lasts approximately 25 minutes.

Some of the technical magic behind ‘World of Color’ includes:

* Nearly one full acre of engineered superstructure, longer than a football field and capable of settling on three levels – one for the performance, one under the water surface and one for maintenance
* More than 1,200 powerful and programmable fountains
* A vast underwater grid with more than 18,000 points of control. Each fountain has multiple points of control for lighting, color intensity, water angle, height and more.
* Fountain heights that range from 30 feet to 200 feet in the air (by way of comparison, Mickey’s Fun Wheel reaches a height of 150 feet, some of it below the edge of the lagoon)
* A precise system of flame projections, lasers, and special effects that will flood the senses as guests experience the animation
* Scenic elements that rise more than 80 feet above the lagoon
* The world’s largest projected water screen – a wall of water 380 feet wide by 50 feet high for a projection surface of 19,000 square feet
* Nearly 30 high-definition projectors

For information on “World of Color” and other Disneyland Resort attractions, or to plan a celebration or vacation at Disneyland Resort, visit www.disneyland.com, call 866/60-DISNEY or contact local travel agents. To explore the expansion plans for Disney’s California Adventure, visit www.DisneysCaliforniaAdventure.com.

Wow look at those stats about the show!!!!

More concept art-
http://disneylandnewstoday.com/archives/4788

TP2000

I doubt it..How do you drain a lagoon that's connected to a man made river system?

Coffer dams.

It's done routinely at Disneyland with the Rivers of America, StorybookLand Canal Boats, Sleeping Beauty Castle moats, Jungle Cruise river system, etc. Those waterways at Disneyland are all interconnected, and you just put up a coffer dam or two with hoses to route the water flow around and can block and drain any part of the system you want.

sponono88

Here it is... Steve Davison's presentation for WoC at yesterday's press event. I'm speechless.. the show sounds incredible :D The concept art is amazing, but to hear Steve talk about the show and describe the scenes in detail.. wow. It's definitely worth a look -

Part 1
[youtube]rfyoqR1lX_Y[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]XN1mJ0drBs4[/youtube]

Part 3
[youtube]DyLqLms0YcY[/youtube]

One moment that stuck out the most was: "The whole show is very stylized. When you get into these worlds, we're not just taking animation from the movie. We do not want this to be 'Oh, it's what I saw at the movie theatre'. It's a combination; It's a kind of re-dreaming of it." I'm so glad they're taking this stylized approach... the alice scene and wildebeests look beautiful - it's a lot better than recycling old animation.

I'm also excited to hear about the Beast's transformation being used in the show.. imo one of the most beautiful scenes in animation ever.

nemofinder22

Wow the test video of the projections on water is quite amazing!!! its going to give F! new ones a run for it money :lol: I really like that music, nice to see how the show is incorporating the newer characters from both Up and The Princess and the Frog.

haha LOVE when Davidson mentions guests being up on the attractions taking pictures of the platform :ROFLOL:

One moment that stuck out the most was: "The whole show is very stylized. When you get into these worlds, we're not just taking animation from the movie. We do not want this to be 'Oh, it's what I saw at the movie theatre'. It's a combination; It's a kind of re-dreaming of it." I'm so glad they're taking this stylized approach... the alice scene and wildebeests look beautiful - it's a lot better than recycling old animation.

I'm also excited to hear about the Beast's transformation being used in the show.. imo one of the most beautiful scenes in animation ever.

I have to agree with you on that, I was a bit worried it was going to be like F!s mist screen segments, mainly the bubble scene which isnt that bad unless its the DHS version which uses that bubble far to long, but thats besides the point :) Huge thanks for posting the videos sponono!

TP2000

Here it is... Steve Davison's presentation for WoC at yesterday's press event. I'm speechless.. the show sounds incredible :D The concept art is amazing, but to hear Steve talk about the show and describe the scenes in detail.. wow. It's definitely worth a look -

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Count me amongst the speechless..... just give me a moment....

Uh, wow. This is perhaps the most amazing night show I think I've ever seen Disney attempt. And I thought the night lagoon show in Tokyo DisneySea that I saw last year was amazing. This one takes the cake.

World of Color is not only technically stunning and groundbreaking, but it has such a thorough array of emotions that I think I might need a good stiff drink when it's over. :D

Steve Davison is perhaps one of the greatest assets Disneyland has had working for the park in the last 54 years. And I love that he mentioned how closely he had been working with John Lasseter on this show. :sohappy:

Thanks so much for posting the links to those videos!

Disneyson 1

Oh. My. GOD!!! That's amazing!!! Seeing the concept art plus this really helps me envision the show! It sounds GREAT!

And obscure references for the win! Esmerelda, Mother Nature & The Whales from Fantasia 2000, Chernabog, The Old Mill, Pocahantas, and everything! It sounds AMAZING!!!!! I see that they didn't mention how "Silly Symphonies" will tie into the show, as they've alluded to it's use before (along with a possible tie-in to the swing ride...?). Which transition would it fit into?

EPCOT Explorer

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Wow. Wow. A thousand times, WOW! It sounds unbelievable!:sohappy: Disney has something very special here, with this show, and with Steve Davison.

Can't WAIT to see it.:D

sponono88

It's certainly so much more than any of us had expected. I admit that I was initially worried when the show was first announced.. i wasn't sure how a water show would play out, especially with Fantasmic playing next door at DL (with live characters/pyro/etc.) It's safe to say all my worries have been laid to rest. This show was designed to be different from Fantasmic - it will use state-of-the-art technology to create a very unique world. Something on this scale has never been done before.. I'm so excited about this!

And TP2000 - I totally agree.. this show seems to have a lot of heart and soul.

I cant wait till next spring :)

EPCOT Explorer

It's certainly so much more than any of us had expected. I admit that I was initially worried when the show was first announced.. i wasn't sure how a water show would play out, especially with Fantasmic playing next door at DL (with live characters/pyro/etc.) It's safe to say all my worries have been laid to rest. i'm so excited about this!

And TP2000 - I totally agree.. this show seems to have a lot of heart and soul.

I cant wait till next spring :)

That's what I'm worried about, too. Are they going to use ANY pyro? I know that fire will have a large part, but I reeeeeeally want to see some pyro, especially in the finale or the huge transitions that Davidson alludes too....

sponono88

I am pretty sure there will be no pyro.. at least from what I have read so far. Who knows, they may end up using low-level pyro as a surprise for the ending?

Even if they don't i'm not too concerned.. after seeing what they can accomplish with just water i'm sure the show will be amazing

lilclerk

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Okay, WOW. I was so not thrilled with the idea of this show till I saw that.

EPCOT Explorer

I am pretty sure there will be no pyro.. at least from what I have read so far. Who knows, they may end up using low-level pyro as a surprise for the ending?

Even if they don't i'm not too concerned.. after seeing what they can accomplish with just water i'm sure the show will be amazing
I dunno....A pyro-less finale would be kinda meh.:shrug: It's so quintisentially Disney, it's needed!

Perhaps they will do some low level. Or why not just launch some hi levels, from the back of the park?:lookaroun

A test shot of one of the fountains-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06z6dKOcgwA
VERY awesome.

This tech could be used 1000x over in EPCOT.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom