News "World of Color – One" coming to Disney California Adventure

PiratesMansion

Has there ever been a version of World of Color that's lived up to it's potential? I think there was a holiday version that was well regarded but I never saw it.
This is something I've started to wonder. People like the current Christmas version a lot, and the regular version isn't necessarily a bad show, but it's both inferior to (either version of) Fantasmic and more complicated to see. So why would I put in more effort for something that isn't as good?

If more WOC shows over time haven't worked than have, it starts to seem either like a flawed format, like Disney has no real idea how to make a WOC show that's compelling on a consistent basis, or that it's fallen victim to the typical "who cares if it's bad, it's just at DCA" thinking that TDA has been stuck in for eons.

PiratesMansion

It looks good, but they should have included a live action Disney film like Mary Poppins, Pirates or Tron, The Muppets with Rainbow Connection, and 20th Century Studios with either Avatar or West Side Story.
I'm over Pirates, but honestly, YES to all the other ones. In particular, Mary Poppins or Rainbow Connection would go over like gangbusters if they had the "courage" (haha) to put them in the show.

So many missed opportunities. Disney has a huge library of things they own/control and the most valuable and well known back catalogs of classic film, but they clearly don't appreciate it, and because of that, that value is starting to fade. Not saying I want the shows to become a mix of "best things Disney owns," necessarily, but eventually people will forget these older films because Disney just WILL NOT promote or use them even though so many of them are beloved. Another self inflicted wound, and for what? To sell one more Moana doll or Star Wars figurine that people were probably going to buy anyway?

sma97

I think the show is fine, but has some problems.

First, the pacing is kinda off. I think they spend too much time in every segment, specially the star wars segment. Maybe they could have shortened some of the segments and include more films? Which leads me to the second issue I have with the show. I think there should be some representation of Disney from before 1994 (like Mary Poppins, as some you have said).

Another problem I have with the show is that the fountains seem like an afterthought. At many times during the show the only thing that happens is that stuff is being projected, and the fountains are doing nothing. I understand why they did it this way, but I would prefer a bigger focus on the fountains with less projections.

And finally my last problem with the show (and this one is completely personal) is that I really don't like the colour palette they've chosen. Pastel colours can work, but I think that in this case they just aren't bright enough, and all the segments end up looking the same.
All in all, I do like the show (it's way better than the shows they did for WDW's 50th) but I prefer World of Color.

ryno1982

The theme of the show is that one person can start a change. Walt Disney is one example of that, but the show is not about the change he actually created, aka the Walt Disney Company, which I think people are confused about. The rest of the show focuses on other examples of characters whose actions brought about change in their respective films. That being said, what Disney films prior to the last 30 years could possibly be used where change is a theme? There's your answer as to why everything is more recent.

Consumer

The theme of the show is that one person can start a change. Walt Disney is one example of that, but the show is not about the change he actually created, aka the Walt Disney Company, which I think people are confused about. The rest of the show focuses on other examples of characters whose actions brought about change in their respective films. That being said, what Disney films prior to the last 30 years could possibly be used where change is a theme? There's your answer as to why everything is more recent.
Pinocchio comes immediately to mind. Of course, that's about changing as a person and improving oneself. Nowadays, Disney movies are more often about changing your environment and improving others around you and less about the character's inward growth. I'm not sure if people realize how problematic these stories can be. By emphasizing the change we can make to others rather than the changes others can make to us, we're now focusing on ourselves as the perfect heroes who have the answers, rather than admitting we are flawed and in need of help.

ryno1982

Pinocchio comes immediately to mind. Of course, that's about changing as a person and improving oneself. Nowadays, Disney movies are more often about changing your environment and improving others around you and less about the character's inward growth. I'm not sure if people realize how problematic these stories can be. By emphasizing the change we can make to others rather than the changes others can make to us, we're now focusing on ourselves as the perfect heroes who have the answers, rather than admitting we are flawed and in need of help.
I like your response. Maybe the show could have focused on both. I know the Last Jedi is controversial but having the scene with Luke and Yoda would have been good, showing how Luke needed to get over his failure and learn so that he could show up for the ending. I think the Moana segment does a good job showing her finding the inner strength she needs to achieve her goal. I wish the Marvel segment focused more on Iron Man since he was mainly the one to grow as a person through the MCU.

CaptinEO

Then world of Color One strangely leaves out live action, theme parks, Disney on broadway, Disney channel, etc.
This is my thing. If they want to go beyond their animated films that's fine but lets not leave out the companies history. There is so much to celebrate that the company has done, TV shows,disney channel, live action movies, Disneyland Records, Hollywood Records, Disney Home Video, Disney Interactive. There is so much history there.

How many in the 60s people grew up on Zorro and Davey Crocket? In the 90s Disney Sing A Long Tapes and Disney Interactive. There is so much potential.

CaptinEO

It looks good, but they should have included a live action Disney film like Mary Poppins, Pirates or Tron, The Muppets with Rainbow Connection, and 20th Century Studios with either Avatar or West Side Story.
They really should, there are so many classic live action Disney films. It's like WDI and Entertainment just think they are the Star Wars and Marvel Company that also started making Animated Films in the 90s.

Steve2753

IMO the concept of "starting the wave of changes" is an interesting concept and it had the potential to be a good show but execution problems sort of hindered it from being one. I feel like they were trying to recreate the abstract visual spectacle aspect of the original show and season of lights, while giving it some form of narrative elements but it didn't seem to have worked out as they hoped for. The fact that people were expecting it to be something like wondrous journey isn't helping either.

Last edited:

Steve2753

I really love the flow of the leaked original version online. That version to me is is way more cohesive and powerful than the final version we got.
I really loved the soundtrack they originally had for world of color. I wish they would update the original show with that version, it'll give us something new and familiar at the same time.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I highly doubt Star Wars and Marvel were originally part of this.. the transitions make no sense at all and people actually laugh when Star Wars goes right into lion king.

I wish the show could have told a story of Walt / Walt Disney studios. The opening sequence is really lovely and then it just turns into the IP fest.

Some really amazing visuals though - quite an enjoyable show.

Twilight_Roxas

I highly doubt Star Wars and Marvel were originally part of this.. the transitions make no sense at all and people actually laugh when Star Wars goes right into lion king.

I wish the show could have told a story of Walt / Walt Disney studios. The opening sequence is really lovely and then it just turns into the IP fest.

Some really amazing visuals though - quite an enjoyable show.
Well remember Wondrous Journeys is a tribute to Walt Disney animation studios while World of Color One is theme to Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars with 6 animated Walt Disney Animation Studios. Which is why they should have included a live action film like Tron, The Muppets with the Rainbow Connection, and 20th Century Studios with Avatar, and West Side Story in World of Color One.

Rob562

(sigh) Still no showtimes listed after Feb 25th. I know I shouldn't be worried, but my anxiety isn't getting the message...

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom