News "World of Color – One" coming to Disney California Adventure

waltography

For those who have seen both, how would you compare the new show to WOC Celebrate in terms of your level of enjoyment/etc?
I've yet to see One in person so feel free to disregard my opinion, but One feels more convincing as a World of Color show than Celebrate. Celebrate felt like a documentary on water, One feels like it has an artistic vision behind it (albeit middling and compromised by corporate interests).

wtyy21

Non-high wind version of World of Color: ONE, as well as the first public performance.

There's a fire on the finale, pretty different from the cast members and media preview two days ago.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Non-high wind version of World of Color: ONE, as well as the first public performance.

There's a fire on the finale, pretty different from the cast members and media preview two days ago.

Yeah, it looks a lot better. More exciting with fountains at full power, and the finale now has the giant flame thrower.

I’d rank this third when it comes to all the versions we’ve gotten.

1) World of Color
2) Season of Light
3) World of Color: One
4) Halloween one
5) all the other Christmas versions they went through before Season of Light
6) The empty lagoon
-60) Celebrate (60th)

TP2000

Is it just me, or did someone put something funny in the TDA air conditioning system?

Here's the official website explanation of World of Color - ONE:

Dare to Make a Difference​

It takes only a single ripple to make a huge impact. After all, a ripple can generate a wave—and a wave can power an ocean of change.
Many Disney and Pixar characters have dared to make waves and change their world for the better. In World of Color – ONE, their stories take center stage—unfolding amid a breathtaking blend of dancing water and incredible special effects.

Huh? What the holy heck does that even mean? Cartoons changed their cartoon world for the better? How? When? Where?

It's a water show at a theme park, with big fountains and lasers and fuzzy cartoons on hazy mist screens. Loud music! Big finish! You may get wet! Thank you and good night, Starbucks is open for another 30 minutes.... :rolleyes:

mlayton144

Is it just me, or did someone put something funny in the TDA air conditioning system?

Here's the official website explanation of World of Color - ONE:

Dare to Make a Difference​

It takes only a single ripple to make a huge impact. After all, a ripple can generate a wave—and a wave can power an ocean of change.
Many Disney and Pixar characters have dared to make waves and change their world for the better. In World of Color – ONE, their stories take center stage—unfolding amid a breathtaking blend of dancing water and incredible special effects.

Huh? What the holy heck does that even mean? Cartoons changed their cartoon world for the better? How? When? Where?

It's a water show at a theme park, with big fountains and lasers and fuzzy cartoons on hazy mist screens. Loud music! Big finish! You may get wet! Thank you and good night, Starbucks is open for another 30 minutes.... :rolleyes:

They have accomplished their goal - 100 years of wonder ! It will take at least 100 more years to wonder what the heck they are talking about here

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
What could have been a great show about the history of the WDC over that past 100 years, turned out on paper to be some sort of show conveying a weird "message", that ended up just being a renaissance/acquisition clip show that showcases the cool new lights and lasers they installed. What a mess.

Disney Analyst

I highly prefer WOC One to Celebrate. This new show had a really good use of the entire infrastructure unlike Celebrate and Villainous. Heck they even used the hidden fountains at the viewing area which was barely used in the previous shows.

I haven’t seen those caught on camera in a long time! Are they still used in the regular show? I just assumed they stopped using them one day…

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Say what you will about Celebrate, but I think if they reconfigured the Mickey Mouse and the animated films segments into something that's less documentary, expanded it to include some of the live-action films (Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues, etc.), grouped everything into themes supporting the "ripple effect" throughline, and gave it a proper story framing device, it would've made a better show.

To add insult to injury, even the "'I Want' song" medley in Wondrous Journeys next door accomplishes what One is trying to do. The "I want" song is the beginning of a ripple effect in a Disney film, after all. And yeah yeah, Waiting on a Miracle and Reflection are "I want" songs but there's no resolution for those songs after their respective segments.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I haven’t seen those caught on camera in a long time! Are they still used in the regular show? I just assumed they stopped using them one day…
I don’t think they were working over the summer when I saw the regular show but they were being used with the regular show this week.

For those who have seen both, how would you compare the new show to WOC Celebrate in terms of your level of enjoyment/etc?

One is WAY better. I didn’t have a great view last night cause it was so crowded but one has some really impressive visuals. To me, this is the show they wanted Harmonious to be.

Steve2753

I'm not sure either. Those only appeared for a few seconds during the stampede scene and the finale of the regular show. AFAIK Those are still working as of 2019 but I haven't seen those working since it reopened back in 2022. I was pleasantly surprised when it appeared during the cast members' preview.

TrainsOfDisney

The Marvel segment feels out of place because they didn’t pick a specific character to focus on.
It and the Star Wars segment both feel out of place because they have no tie to the history of Walt Disney other than a company he founded bought them.

The fact that this is so hard a concept for Disney exec’s to grasp is beyond me.

Disney Analyst

It and the Star Wars segment both feel out of place because they have no tie to the history of Walt Disney other than a company he founded bought them.

The fact that this is so hard a concept for Disney exec’s to grasp is beyond me.

Regardless of your thoughts on Star Wars or Marvel, they are certainly part of the 100 year legacy of Disney, and have made them buckets of money.

I am fine with them being included at DCA, and Disneyland having a show solely dedicated to what made the Disney company, well… Disney.

wtyy21

If you want to more closely with more high-quality video of World of Color - ONE finale, here's the Hidden Mickey before climactic finale and fire.

[4K] NEW World of Color ONE 2023 at Disney California Adventure Park! - Disney100 Celebration ...png

TrainsOfDisney

Regardless of your thoughts on Star Wars or Marvel, they are certainly part of the 100 year legacy of Disney, and have made them buckets of money.
It has nothing to do with my thoughts, it’s not an opinion. Star Wars and Marvel have nothing to do with the founding of Disney Animation.

The story is one man began Disney animation and look what he was able to do. If the story is about one man creating a business that can buy up other businesses than the story is very different.

I liked the show! And I thought the Star Wars section was beautiful. But it is a valid criticism.

Disney Analyst

It has nothing to do with my thoughts, it’s not an opinion. Star Wars and Marvel have nothing to do with the founding of Disney Animation.

The story is one man began Disney animation and look what he was able to do. If the story is about one man creating a business that can buy up other businesses than the story is very different.

I liked the show! And I thought the Star Wars section was beautiful. But it is a valid criticism.

But this celebration isn’t solely about the founding of Disney via animation. It’s 100 years of Disney, and that includes these aspects of the company.

Perhaps it’s an expectation thing?

Wondrous Journey celebrates what many would consider the bread and butter of Disney.

WoC: One uses various IP to tell its… vague story about a ripple of change.

Both are valid for a 100 year celebration.

Now is WoC: One executed well? That is a different discussion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom