News World Drive Magic Kingdom Intersection Re-Design

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
While on the Monorail to Epcot the other day there was an extensive plot of land that had been completely deforested that looked like it was for this project.

The trees were all still lying on the ground and looked as if they had removed them carefully so they could be replanted.

All three bluish areas would require tree removal. Do you recall if its one of these areas?

upload_2017-2-11_15-10-44.png

Robbiem

They really could do a nice, grand TTC where it is right now. They don't need the ticket booths. I don't see the point in moving the buses and taxis to the South of the parking lot or over to STOL.

I know it's not a priority but the TTC is pretty utilitarian. I remember thinking that when I was a kid going there and how much like a regular bus stop it was.

I still think an improvement could be made by just crossing the outer monorail track with the Epcot track after the TTC so you get one continuous theme park loop. If you're leaving the MK you get on it, head to the TTC, get off if you need to get to your car, or stay on to continue your trip to Epcot instead of that weird down, around, and back loop you have to take to get to the Epcot loop.

Something like this (one goes over the other):
View attachment 141437

When WDW was built areas outside the park and resorts were kept plain on purpose. The idea was to provide a neutral space between the real world outside Disney property and the fantasy of the magic kingdom. Remember this was at the time when the resort aspects were all expected to be clustered around bay lake and the seven seas lagoon and the rest of the land was expected to have Epcot city, airport of the future, industrial parks etc as per Walts original plan

As the resort as a whole developed more this distinction became blurred and later additions attempted to introduce more fantasy to the original TTC through signage etc to make them more like other Disney resort entrances

FerretAfros

All three bluish areas would require tree removal. Do you recall if its one of these areas?

View attachment 189035
When I was there for New Years/Marathon Weekend, the lower left area was fully cleared; grading was actively underway when I took the monorail on 1/3. The worksite went as far south as the canal, and as close to the road as the It's Tough to Be a Bug billboard

They seemed to be using the southern end of that area for laydown and staging for the project. The southernmost strip of it was fenced off from the rest of the site, and had some earthmoving equipment and drainage structures sitting in it. The area seemed big enough that they could use it for the entire roadway project, not just for the adjacent pond

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The way I'm reading it, the buses will no longer need to cut in front of the TTC to get out of the MK, and MK resort guests will no longer need to go through the MK parking entrance.

Thank god. I can't tell you the number of times I've nearly been hit by someone realizing they suddenly needed to move to over after going through the gate to get to one of the MK resorts. And they usually aren't looking what's behind them.

tissandtully

Thank god. I can't tell you the number of times I've nearly been hit by someone realizing they suddenly needed to move to over after going through the gate to get to one of the MK resorts. And they usually aren't looking what's behind them.
Also I think they are realizing the parking fees lost by sketchy people who say they are going to the resorts and don't want to pay MK parking.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Also I think they are realizing the parking fees lost by sketchy people who say they are going to the resorts and don't want to pay MK parking.

Except it's not that easy to park at a MK resort if you're not a guest or don't have an ADR. They'll make you go to valet parking.

peter11435

He's referring to people who drive through the auto plaza and tell the cast members they are going to the resorts. The cast member then allows them to pass with no charge and the guest then veers left into the magic kingdom lot instead of going to the resorts.

Of course there is also the return lane that brings you into the magic kingdom lot while bypassing the auto plaza entirely

LAKid53

Premium Member
He's referring to people who drive through the auto plaza and tell the cast members they are going to the resorts. The cast member then allows them to pass with no charge and the guest then veers left into the magic kingdom lot instead of going to the resorts.

Of course there is also the return lane that brings you into the magic kingdom lot while bypassing the auto plaza entirely

Ah, I understand now...

So in addition to the guests who fib they're staying at a resort so they can park at either Poly, GF or WL to avoid the hassle of the MK parking lot, trams, ferry or monorail, there are those who fib just so they don't have to pay....

I'd be so embarrased...and afraid I'd get caught.

mm121

i dont know why it took them so long to change this, it hasnt made since that people have to talk to the mk plaza just to get to the resorts where you then talk to the resort gate attendent

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom