working out for Disney

Songbird76

Oh, no. I have read that drinking grape juice is supposed to help prevent the stomach bug. It's an old wives tale, though. I did try it once, out of desperation. My son brought it home and I had no time to be sick. I drank it for nine days straight and I thought I was out of the woods. Nope. I got ill two days after I stopped drinking it. I hope you all remain healthy. I know how awful that is when one person brings it home and you're just waiting for it to hit you and everyone else.

How funny you mention "Mr Blue Sky," I heard that song yesterday. It's not a song you hear everyday, for sure.
Yeah, the grape juice didn't work for DD, for sure. She loves it, and we do drink it regularly with dinner, but since she was feeling cruddy, I told her to drink some yesterday morning...maybe she drank too much, because she didn't start throwing up until the afternoon. But she's back at school today. She slept through the night and wasn't crampy or anything today, and she has a test in History today, and a test in Math tomorrow, so I wanted her to get back. Not to mention it's a pain if the are out of school for more than a day. There's this form you have to get from the website, print it off and fill it out and return it when they go back to school. I understand they don't want kids to skip, but if I call and say she's sick, I think that should be enough. But whatever...she was fine this morning so I sent her back, but I told her that if she felt yucky she could come home. Her test was first hour, so she would have that out of the way.

I had never heard Mr. Blue Sky until I had to sing it. There's a bit at the end that goes up to either an A flat or an A. It's written as a B flat, but we lowered it because it was high for everyone, and I was the only one singing the B flat anyway, but I'm not sure if we lowered it by a 1/2 or whole step. Much easier to sing now, though.

Songbird76

What are you singing? I always got nervous singing with smaller groups for this very reason. Kind of a...if I wanted a solo, I would have done... Of course, even my last larger choral experience, the director would rely on the small handful of us with more lyric coloratura soprano voices to carry through section, which was always added stress. I'm sure it's hard with a new person too, but practice can do wonders. I'm sure it'll be great :)

It just amazes me how many people fall for this stuff. My boss messaged us about a more recent one where the scammer calls several times...single ring and then hang up...just to try and bait you into answering the third or fourth call. Thankfully, most of these come up as scam calls and are easily blocked.
Well...technically, we are "not a choir". We are a band with 20 singers. But for all intents and purposes it's a choir with a live band. But we sing kind of a mix of rock and pop. We have some queen numbers (long before the movie came out, but they are certainly en vogue now), some Justin Timberlake, Bieber, Pink, and some Dutch artists, too...you've probably never heard of Dotan, right? So it's a lot of different stuff.

HouCuseChickie

Well...technically, we are "not a choir". We are a band with 20 singers. But for all intents and purposes it's a choir with a live band. But we sing kind of a mix of rock and pop. We have some queen numbers (long before the movie came out, but they are certainly en vogue now), some Justin Timberlake, Bieber, Pink, and some Dutch artists, too...you've probably never heard of Dotan, right? So it's a lot of different stuff.

That sounds like a lot of fun! Dotan sounded familiar, but I had to Google him! šŸ˜ The closest I ever got to anything like that was when a friend of a friend's band was looking for a female lead singer. I was definitely not the right fit, but it was fun to have a night to break out of classical and show tunes. I can see how Queen would be a lot of fun to sing. There's a lot of texture and range in their music. I also saw you guys noting Mr. Blue Sky and ELO has a number of things I like (in the car :hilarious:) to bring up into my vocal range.

HouCuseChickie

Thanks. I am much more subdued and circumspect this time around. I am kind of dreading it, actually. It's not like driving to an interview, doing the interview and getting in your car or catching a train when you're done. It's flying in the day before, doing a 5+ hour interview and then flying back. I get tired just thinking about it. Waiting for my flight back to Philly after my American Airlines interview was the worst. I had five hours to kill and all I wanted was to get home, so I could just have a good cry in private and move on. I was trying so hard not to cry in public, but tears came out anyway. I was wearing a navy blue dress suit, so I was hoping it looked like I'd been to a funeral. :hilarious:

I did email my doctor last night to see if he thought beta blockers were appropriate for me. I was fine until we got into the group interview with 12 other people. I was really eager to speak and knew what I wanted to say. But once I started speaking, my voice was so shaky. It went down hill from there. I couldn't say what I wanted to say, my heart started racing and my mouth went dry.

So, let's try and come up with some positive things in the area to consider as a pick me up. This isn't the American Airlines interview, so it may be better...at the very least...different. BUT, maybe you can dread it less if you have some other fun or therapeutic things to consider in the area for the short time you're here. OK...I know food really isn't the cure, but if you're stuck waiting in the airport...I want to give you some good Texas food options to help pass the time.

Terminal E has a Pappadeaux's. If I could eat anywhere at IAH, this would be it. In fact, we're constantly bothered that this location is the closest one to our house, but it's past security...so we can't eat there unless flying through that airport. On the more casual side of things, I believe it's Terminal B that has a Whataburger. Yes, it's a fast food burger, but Whataburger is to Texas as what In-N-Out is to California. The only thing that irks me as that they will put mustard on your burger (a very TX thing) if you don't tell them otherwise, but they will tailor the burger to your wants and will gladly make it with whatever you want. I can't eat any of their stuff anymore, but I still crave their burgers and fries. While not as good as Pappadeaux's, there is a Landry's in terminal C and it's still usually decent food. There's a Pappasito's in there too, but not a huge fan for Tex Mex. I think there is a little rail system that goes between some of the terminals, so you may be able to move around (since United will likely have you flying through C or E) if you want to explore more options.

Now, if you're interviewing at the downtown offices (609 Main, I think), there is a lot in that area. When I first moved here, Houston's downtown was nothing, but that area has really blossomed. I had a conference last year at the JW Marriott that's about 2 blocks away. I think Flying Saucer is just one block away from that building (good casual food and TONS of beer on tap). It's also a pretty quick walk (rail may also be an option) to places like Minute Maid Park (where the Astros play - may have tour options that day- stadium tour is great) and Discovery Green (sort of an artsy park area). Just thinking nice places to go if you need to clear your mind. Going the other way, if you do a rail and walk combo, you would get to the theater district and area by the Aquarium. It's another kid friendly Landry's based restaurant, but as the name would imply, it's a big aquarium. I am one of those people who is soothed by watching fish, so it might be a nice spot if you have time to burn and find that soothing. If only I worked in downtown!

Hopefully your doctor can help as well.

I had to google asp caterpillars. Not only are they gross looking, but the effects of their sting is scary. You know, I'd really like to move to a more temperate region, but then I learn about caterpillars that look like Cousin It that can make you violently ill and I think maybe dealing with ice and snow a few months out of the year isn't such a bad trade off. o_O

They also go by other names and come in a variety of colors. I lived here for a good 20 years before ever hearing of them. One day, a friend posted on FB about his young daughter accidentally touching one and having to go to the hospital. Within the same week, a friend of ours had one fall on him and he too wound up in the hospital. In some ways, it was an omen because I checked my yard and found three of them! Fall is normally asp season (they are quite fond of my Halloween decor), but when I was putting out Easter eggs a few weeks ago, I found one on the fence. I can't even imagine what would happen if one of the puppies got to it. So, I impaled the nasty caterpillar with a long stick and tossed it into a front flowerbed that never gets any foot traffic.

HouCuseChickie

I decided to give myself an extra 90 minutes of sleep and workout throughout the day...with the bulk being during my lunch. I did well...biked just a hair under 17 miles, had a nice little elevation walk on the treadmill and fairly strong abs and arms. This all, however, was a big mistake!

Today was a training run day and because the 10 year old had softball, I decided to head out for said run around 4:30pm. There are a few problems with this...

1. It was only about 3.5 hours after I finished biking and about 3 hours after I finished the treadmill. MAJOR FATIGUE
2. The sun is still pretty high in the sky at 4:30pm, so it was less than pleasant during the non-forested sections.
3. Temps were still right at today's high...about 86 or 87 with a heat index around 90.

I never felt asthma issues coming on during it all, but afterwards, I felt it. So, I did a treatment on the nebulizer...and now I'm wired!

The only pro is that humidity is lower later in the day.

In the end, I went about the same distance as Sunday (5k) and I was a smidge faster than Sunday...which is funny since Sunday was overcast and about 20 degrees cooler due to time of day. I was still slower than I was on Tuesday and definitely didn't feel as strong...but I got through it. I also realized I didn't need to enable my GPS to use the training plan, so I could have done this on Tuesday. I also realized that the plan Galloway has on this app is more intense than what he puts on the RunDisney plans. I got rid of my old fuel/hydration belt before we moved in 2017, so looks like I'm going to have to look into something new...because it's going to be a long hot summer.

Songbird76

That sounds like a lot of fun! Dotan sounded familiar, but I had to Google him! šŸ˜ The closest I ever got to anything like that was when a friend of a friend's band was looking for a female lead singer. I was definitely not the right fit, but it was fun to have a night to break out of classical and show tunes. I can see how Queen would be a lot of fun to sing. There's a lot of texture and range in their music. I also saw you guys noting Mr. Blue Sky and ELO has a number of things I like (in the car :hilarious:) to bring up into my vocal range.
I miss doing musicals though. I've never liked opera, and my voice doesn't have much vibrato....I have a " great voice for Jazz" according to my Jazz professor in college. The first year, I auditioned for Jazz as was required for my scholarship, and she said "You have a great voice for Jazz, but your sight reading sucks. Come back in a year, and maybe you'll stand a chance." I HATED Jazz back then and was relieved not to have to sing it. I came back in a year because I HAD to to keep my scholarship, I made it, and ended up LOVING Jazz. It's one of my favorite genres to sing. And my voice is so much better suited to Jazz or musicals than to opera. But there's no musical theater group here in my area, and I was in a pop choir which really wasn't the greatest quality, and then there were some real catty witches who ruined it for me. Our director had been wanting me to join his other group for a long time as they needed a high soprano, and I had been helping them for a year with English diction, so that's how I started in this group. It's fun, except the singing with headsets. But yeah, we have quite a range of styles. I use the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack to improve my vocal range.

Songbird76

I decided to give myself an extra 90 minutes of sleep and workout throughout the day...with the bulk being during my lunch. I did well...biked just a hair under 17 miles, had a nice little elevation walk on the treadmill and fairly strong abs and arms. This all, however, was a big mistake!

Today was a training run day and because the 10 year old had softball, I decided to head out for said run around 4:30pm. There are a few problems with this...

1. It was only about 3.5 hours after I finished biking and about 3 hours after I finished the treadmill. MAJOR FATIGUE
2. The sun is still pretty high in the sky at 4:30pm, so it was less than pleasant during the non-forested sections.
3. Temps were still right at today's high...about 86 or 87 with a heat index around 90.

I never felt asthma issues coming on during it all, but afterwards, I felt it. So, I did a treatment on the nebulizer...and now I'm wired!

The only pro is that humidity is lower later in the day.

In the end, I went about the same distance as Sunday (5k) and I was a smidge faster than Sunday...which is funny since Sunday was overcast and about 20 degrees cooler due to time of day. I was still slower than I was on Tuesday and definitely didn't feel as strong...but I got through it. I also realized I didn't need to enable my GPS to use the training plan, so I could have done this on Tuesday. I also realized that the plan Galloway has on this app is more intense than what he puts on the RunDisney plans. I got rid of my old fuel/hydration belt before we moved in 2017, so looks like I'm going to have to look into something new...because it's going to be a long hot summer.
Ugh....I couldn't live in TX. My body doesn't handle heat well. I hope you find something new to keep you hydrated!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom