working out for Disney

Sans Souci

We like staying at Coronado. The small gym 24/7 is by Casita 4 by the quiet pool which can be a lap pool. The walk around the lagoon is a good brisk walk for a few laps. The big Mayan pyramid pool with water slide by the Ranchos has a huge 20 person hot tub which got kinda crazy with a group there doing some serious drinking so we didn't get to soak that night.

I am not sure he can stay there. He is a fed and it is frowned upon to stay on property for conferences because it is bad optics for the taxpayer.

Lilofan

I am not sure he can stay there. He is a fed and it is frowned upon to stay on property for conferences because it is bad optics for the taxpayer.
Ok, Coronado is very popular with companies staff staying there and utilizing the huge convention space for meetings and events. Must be nice too meetings and if extra time, enjoying the theme parks.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, there are no dorms here like there are in the US. It's all apartments basically, and there will be a communal kitchen most likely, but it won't be anything fancy. I have a set of knives, really good ones, and I've already told her she's not allowed to take those into a roommate situation because not everyone knows how to treat their knives, and also I'm afraid they'd get stolen. When I was in college, I lived in the forms for a few years, and we had no kitchen or anything, and weren't allowed hotplates or anything. There was a microwave on every floor, and other than that, it was all dining hall. But since they don't do dorms like that here, I don't think that will be a problem. There's no such thing as a dining hall, and they've got to be able to prepare food, so there would have to be some sort of a kitchen.

I don't know for sure it WAS UT...it might not be, but it would make sense if she's studying geology and that's a program they are known for.

My dorms and Ks have similar rules about things like hot plates. The dorm she really wanted is fairly new and has all kinds of upscale amenities, but it and the other newish trendy dorm booked solid before anyone in Ks group had their dorm window open. It’s probably for the best because those newish dorms cost a lot more. She’ll still have access to a large community kitchen downstairs, a big dining hall, and a street cafe sort of area with spots covered by meal plans. If she gets a campus job, they’ll also feed her lunch.

I hear you on the knives. Nice things have a way of going missing at school. I haven’t even invested in a good set because I don’t know if I have the time or inclination to properly care for them. They usually have a few nice sets in our corporate anniversary gifts, but I passed on them again for my 25th and picked a nice watch.

Well, wherever she goes, I hope she enjoys. Sometimes different is a real draw/novelty. I knew a guy from college who was from Trinidad. He was always so amused by the mountains of snow because it was so different from home.

HouCuseChickie

Hello

I did 60 min of power yoga and went out for a walk before it got too nasty outside.

I have lemon peels in Everclear because I am making limoncello. I found this recipe for limoncello ricotta cheesecake that I was going to make for the 4th. I am having second thoughts because it's cooked in the oven in a water bath. It's going to be 95 and I am not sure I want that moisture in my house. If nothing else, I can buy some sparkling water and make spritzers, but I think I will look for another recipe.

My husband applied to go to an IT conference in Sept that is being held at Coronado Springs. He just has to wait for it to be approved. If he can go, I am going with him. I hope it gets approved. 🤞

The cheesecake sounds delicious, but I agree about not wanting to bake when it’s that hot. Bain-Marie cooking is also not my favorite. I’ve had a few things bubble over and I’ve wound up with a mess of mucky water. The drink sounds nice and refreshing. Not nearly as elevated, but we like vodka and lemonade.

That would be great if you could join him at Coronado Springs. David used to travel more and it was always fun when I could tag along.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning!

We made it to Colorado. I’m still having to really nurse my ankle. I despise having stitches, but I’m far enough into recovery that I can start moving more. We’re at a large complex with a number of flat paved walkways, so I’ve been periodically taking walks. I can’t go fast, it’s good to be moving around. It’s also really pleasant at the moment. It’s low 70s, I can see the mountains from my seat, a mama bird is feeding her babies in a nest in the bleachers topper, and all is kind of peaceful in the world for the moment. I am hoping to take a few more walks today, but I’ll have to see how the pain goes.

Honestly, I’m just thankful we made it. David’s new truck keeps having check engine light issues…and of course it came on during the drive. My vehicle is still in the shop because they ordered some incorrect parts. Fingers crossed I get it back for CA. I didn’t bring the camera this trip, but hopefully I’ll still get some pretty pictures.

Sans Souci

Good morning ☀️

I started this yesterday and I kept getting sidetracked! lol

I did a 15 min cardio kickboxing work out yesterday morning and I did a 15 min gliding disc workout this AM.

I have been up since 1:30 AM. I had an amber alert on my phone that jolted me on out of a deep sleep. I only heard the noise and I thought it was a tornado or something. Then I developed a headache, which I think is from the junk in my head and chest from being ill.

My husband's boss approved his conference trip. I was able to find a hotel that fit his per diem that had a breakfast included at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista. The per diem for Orlando is not that great. I used my AAA card to find hotels and the discounts were better than the government rates, plus AAA sometimes throws in perks like food and beverage credit or free breakfast. I know it's not on property, but's it's a nice, little bonus trip for me. My friend is a flight attendant and she said she's going to put a bid in for an Orlando trip when it's time to bid, so maybe I can catch up with her.

I finished my limoncello yesterday. I also found a limoncello bar recipe that only takes 20 min in the oven. It's not a cheesecake, but I don't have to deal with a muggy house.

Sans Souci

Good morning!

We made it to Colorado. I’m still having to really nurse my ankle. I despise having stitches, but I’m far enough into recovery that I can start moving more. We’re at a large complex with a number of flat paved walkways, so I’ve been periodically taking walks. I can’t go fast, it’s good to be moving around. It’s also really pleasant at the moment. It’s low 70s, I can see the mountains from my seat, a mama bird is feeding her babies in a nest in the bleachers topper, and all is kind of peaceful in the world for the moment. I am hoping to take a few more walks today, but I’ll have to see how the pain goes.

Honestly, I’m just thankful we made it. David’s new truck keeps having check engine light issues…and of course it came on during the drive. My vehicle is still in the shop because they ordered some incorrect parts. Fingers crossed I get it back for CA. I didn’t bring the camera this trip, but hopefully I’ll still get some pretty pictures.

Glad you made it safely. That weather sounds gorgeous. Are you going to DLR when you go to CA? I remember you saying something about making your way to Anaheim when you were going to CA.

Songbird76

Wow. Your director seems really unprofessional. Maybe there is something else going on with him, but even if that was the case, he should have said so without divulging details. Can Robin pick up the stuff Erik was doing? That's gotta be disappointing that someone tells they're going to show up and they don't. It sounds like it's time to cut him loose. What is the point of keeping him on if he is not going to change?
Well there's a LOT of stuff going on with him....that was the whole point of the sabbatical. We were giving him time to get things worked out. He didn't want to take the time off, but we didn't give him a choice. We weren't getting what we were paying him for, and he was cancelling an hour before rehearsal every week. So we said no, you take the time off or we let you go completely. The problem is that there is a shortage of directors, so it was hard just to find him in the first place. We had a really good director for a while, but he moved because he decided to go in another career direction and he had taken a bunch of courses to do stuff with music in marketing or something? And then he had to go where the jobs were, so he left and couldn't be our director anymore. We looked for months, had several "try outs" for directors, thought we had one, and then after 3 weeks he decided he didn't want the job after all. He did the same thing to another choir....apparently he does it often. So then we had to find someone else and we got someone who wasn't really a director, per se, but could play the piano and teach voice parts. (I'm the only one who can read music, so most of the others learn by rote.) But then after a year or so, he decided to quit, and then covid happened. So we went for over a year without being allowed to rehearse anyway, and of course, without rehearsing, we couldn't pick a new director. And after covid, a lot of people had gotten more secure jobs in different fields, because the arts were vulnerable. Anyone in the entertainment industry had basically been out-of-work for more than a year, so they all went and got jobs in fields that could keep going despite the pandemic. So now it's rather hard to find a director, and choir people tend to talk to other choir people they know, so you hear about this other choir's experience with this director or that director and you don't want that one. Robin can't take up Erik's tasks...he doesn't play the piano, doesn't read music...he's purely a vocal coach. We need more direction than Robin can give. Once you know the music, he's great at helping you with the stage presentation part, staging, manipulating your voice, etc. But he can't do anything until you actually know the music. So if we let Erik go, we really don't have anyone unless we never want to learn anything new to stay relevant. BUT, if he hasn't changed, then it doesn't really help us to that end either.

Sans Souci

Well there's a LOT of stuff going on with him....that was the whole point of the sabbatical. We were giving him time to get things worked out. He didn't want to take the time off, but we didn't give him a choice. We weren't getting what we were paying him for, and he was cancelling an hour before rehearsal every week. So we said no, you take the time off or we let you go completely. The problem is that there is a shortage of directors, so it was hard just to find him in the first place. We had a really good director for a while, but he moved because he decided to go in another career direction and he had taken a bunch of courses to do stuff with music in marketing or something? And then he had to go where the jobs were, so he left and couldn't be our director anymore. We looked for months, had several "try outs" for directors, thought we had one, and then after 3 weeks he decided he didn't want the job after all. He did the same thing to another choir....apparently he does it often. So then we had to find someone else and we got someone who wasn't really a director, per se, but could play the piano and teach voice parts. (I'm the only one who can read music, so most of the others learn by rote.) But then after a year or so, he decided to quit, and then covid happened. So we went for over a year without being allowed to rehearse anyway, and of course, without rehearsing, we couldn't pick a new director. And after covid, a lot of people had gotten more secure jobs in different fields, because the arts were vulnerable. Anyone in the entertainment industry had basically been out-of-work for more than a year, so they all went and got jobs in fields that could keep going despite the pandemic. So now it's rather hard to find a director, and choir people tend to talk to other choir people they know, so you hear about this other choir's experience with this director or that director and you don't want that one. Robin can't take up Erik's tasks...he doesn't play the piano, doesn't read music...he's purely a vocal coach. We need more direction than Robin can give. Once you know the music, he's great at helping you with the stage presentation part, staging, manipulating your voice, etc. But he can't do anything until you actually know the music. So if we let Erik go, we really don't have anyone unless we never want to learn anything new to stay relevant. BUT, if he hasn't changed, then it doesn't really help us to that end either.

Yeah, it seems like you are in between a rock and a hard place with this guy. I really don't know much about what goes into leading a choir, but as someone who is not, it seems weird that a vocal coach can't read music. How does he coach if he can't read music? I play piano and I was in the percussion section of school band from 5th-11th grade and I am trying to understand how a vocal coach corrects you if he can't identify the note. Again, I am unfamiliar with this. I'm just trying to understand. lol

Sans Souci

Good morning-

I did a 15 min kettlebell workout from YouTube. I started feeling off again yesterday--coughing and sneezing. I thought it was just like the stuff loosening up in my chest from being sick. But I woke up today coughing a lot, so I took another covid test and it's baaaack. lol I have a blood draw on Monday that is my third attempt. The first time I had to cancel because my doc's office used the wrong code for the lab my insurance covers and I did not know. I had to cancel the second attempt because I had covid and now I think I will have to cancel this one. It is like I am not meant to have these blood tests. lol

The good thing is (so far) it feels pretty mild. My 25th anniversary is coming up on Thursday, so I hope I am better. I'm frustrated not for myself, but for my son. He would have been outside of the incubation period this weekend and I have been walking around no mask (because I didn't realize I was sick again), he came over to me and put his arm around me at one point and he was sitting next to me for a bit on the couch watching TV. So, he is back in his room and I am wearing a mask.

I started watching the third season of "The Bear" last night and I don't know how I feel about it. It's been kind of slow to kick off. I hope it gets better, because I have really enjoyed the show so far and I was looking forward to this season. There is a year between seasons, so I have been waiting for this. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom