working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

I think I am mostly well. My appetite is not totally back and I'm still experiencing nausea after I eat. I am just chugging along. I take my last Paxlovid dose before I go to bed. 🎉

I did try to workout this AM and it was ok. I probably should have taken it down a notch, but it was only a 15 min workout, but now I know to do something a little less intense tomorrow.

I have not seen Callie since Father's Day. I had these plans to keep her cool during the heatwave, but I am kind of glad she stayed away. I read that cats are susceptible to Covid and I don't want to make her ill, if I can help it. I don't know if I would have felt comfortable letting her in the house with 2 sick people. I do hope she is OK.

My husband went up to work tonight. I feel like I need some space after last week. :hilarious:

Glad you're on the mend. It takes a bit to really get back to 100%, but your progress shows just how helpful Paxlovid can be. Maybe just take it easy on the workouts until the nausea subsides and your appetite returns.

From what I've seen, cats are pretty good until it gets above 100. I know you guys were around that, but hopefully it was short enough for it to be a non-issue for her. Plus, it's probably easier to work on you getting better if you're not worrying about anything else.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Hello-

I think I am mostly well. My appetite is not totally back and I'm still experiencing nausea after I eat. I am just chugging along. I take my last Paxlovid dose before I go to bed. 🎉

I did try to workout this AM and it was ok. I probably should have taken it down a notch, but it was only a 15 min workout, but now I know to do something a little less intense tomorrow.

I have not seen Callie since Father's Day. I had these plans to keep her cool during the heatwave, but I am kind of glad she stayed away. I read that cats are susceptible to Covid and I don't want to make her ill, if I can help it. I don't know if I would have felt comfortable letting her in the house with 2 sick people. I do hope she is OK.

My husband went up to work tonight. I feel like I need some space after last week. :hilarious:
You tried exercising while sick with COVID? Uh...maybe just walking for now?

As for Callie, when we had COVID, our cats were fine. When I had it in 2022, it was a few months before my cat Belle died and she was my attachment cat. There was no keeping her away from me. She was fine; if she had it, she had no symptoms. My parents and brother had it in May of that year after Belle had passed and we'd gotten Ella, and she and Jasmine never got it from them.

Sans Souci

You tried exercising while sick with COVID? Uh...maybe just walking for now?

As for Callie, when we had COVID, our cats were fine. When I had it in 2022, it was a few months before my cat Belle died and she was my attachment cat. There was no keeping her away from me. She was fine; if she had it, she had no symptoms. My parents and brother had it in May of that year after Belle had passed and we'd gotten Ella, and she and Jasmine never got it from them.

Yeah, I did. All week I stayed in my bedroom in the hopes I was not going to catch it, then once I had it, I stayed in it to keep my son from catching it. Because of the heatwave, we had all of the blinds and curtains drawn to help keep the house cool. I felt like I was in a tomb all week. I just wanted to move around and get my HR up a bit.

I worry with Callie that she likely has other stuff going on due to her lifestyle, so I get concerned about burdening her immune system with even more disease.

Sans Souci

Hello-

For starters, I tested negative. 🎉 I went for a walk, too. I listened to a summer playlist while I was out. 🏖️🍦

I'm still struggling with nausea/low appetite but that lasted a while with my last go round with covid. I got an email from the Indian restaurant we always get carry outs from. They have a special going on. I am tempted to bite, but I am not sure my stomach can handle Indian food yet. It's been bagels, crackers, and rice over here. :hilarious: The main reason I like to order from this place (other than the food) is they do their own deliveries, so I am not getting a bunch of charges. When my husband was in Dublin, I ordered a salad from Chopt one night. It was $25 with the charges and fees, because I had to go through Uber Eats. I try to patronize places that have their own delivery people, because some of these delivery fees on the 3rd party platforms are $5 and that's not even going to the driver as a tip. It's a little more tolerable if you're ordering a few meals, but I am ordering for one. I typically pick up my meals, but my husband is up north and my car is unreliable. Maybe I will just make rice, after all. :hilarious:

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

For starters, I tested negative. 🎉 I went for a walk, too. I listened to a summer playlist while I was out. 🏖️🍦

I'm still struggling with nausea/low appetite but that lasted a while with my last go round with covid. I got an email from the Indian restaurant we always get carry outs from. They have a special going on. I am tempted to bite, but I am not sure my stomach can handle Indian food yet. It's been bagels, crackers, and rice over here. :hilarious: The main reason I like to order from this place (other than the food) is they do their own deliveries, so I am not getting a bunch of charges. When my husband was in Dublin, I ordered a salad from Chopt one night. It was $25 with the charges and fees, because I had to go through Uber Eats. I try to patronize places that have their own delivery people, because some of these delivery fees on the 3rd party platforms are $5 and that's not even going to the driver as a tip. It's a little more tolerable if you're ordering a few meals, but I am ordering for one. I typically pick up my meals, but my husband is up north and my car is unreliable. Maybe I will just make rice, after all. :hilarious:

Yay for testing negative!!!

I am right there with you on the third-party delivery service fees. A couple of years ago, I was doing some work projects that required a lot of after hours time. The company covered dinner by sending us digital gift cards for Door Dash. I banked something like $75, but between tips and fees, I think it amounted to $45 of food.

Songbird76

UT Austin is supposed to have a top-notch geology/geosciences program. I never know how much to buy into the US News collegiate rankings, but that program usually ranks 1 or 2 every year. While Austin has lots of "Texasy" things like good BBQ and Tex Mex, it's the most liberal of the Texas cities. They even have a saying... "Keep Austin Weird." I know you didn't mention the specific school, but this seems like the most likely one to draw really bright students on an international level. Of all of the Texas cities, it also would probably be the lowest in culture shock. Texas A&M in College Station would probably be considered the #2 program in the state...and that would likely be a big culture shock. It's got the college town vibe, but it's a massive campus and it's really REALLY Texasy. It's an excellent school, but there's a definite Aggie culture that plays into enjoying the A&M experience.
I think you're right...I think it was UT, but I don't know for sure. I just know they gave her pretty much a full ride to go there, so that's great for her. The Netherlands are known for being pretty liberal, and even our "conservative government" is considered liberal by US standards....at least conservatives would say it's very liberal here. I'm sure there will be a bit of culture shock no matter what. Even going to college within your own country can be a shock. For most kids, it's the first time they are living away from mom and dad, on their own, having to do their own grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, etc...it's a whole different world. I personally LOVED it, because I came from such a sheltered environment that it was very liberating to be on my own and not have to miss out on things because I wasn't allowed to be out past dark, or because someone's parents weren't going to be home, or because it wasn't an activity my mother approved of. If the choir decided to go out to McDonald's after rehearsal, I didn't have to ask permission. But I think it can also be very overwhelming for someone who has never had to do anything for themselves.

We've joked that E's future college roommates (If she ever ends up living in student housing) are going to love her because she can cook, sew, crochet, bake, etc. She has all these "granny hobbies" as she calls them, that make her pretty self-sufficient. She fixes her friends' clothing when they have a wardrobe malfunction and they all follow her lead with cooking when they get together and have dinner. Most kids her age have never prepared a meal for even themselves, let alone for a whole group. So her future roommates will be lucky because they won't have to fend for themselves as much. But as much as I loved going to college and being independent, I can't imagine going to a completely different country, with a different language, to study. I think I would have been too intimidated to try that. I hope Jente will enjoy it though.

Songbird76

No, last Wed was Juneteenth, so my doctor was off. My husband called my regular doctor following morning and I had my paxlovid by lunch time. The on call doctor told my husband that Tylenol does not work on fevers. He said he didn't want to get into with her because he realized she was full of it, so he just said OK. It says on the freaking bottle "fever reducer."
Where did the on-call doctor get her medical degree? A crackerjack box?? Geez! I'm so sorry you and your husband had to deal with her. I wonder what your regular doctor thought the next day. I think I would have been upset that she treated my patients that way, if I were a doctor. But I'm glad you are feeling better now.

Songbird76

Clearly you don’t realize how your posts about women are coming across, at least to me, so that is my response. I don’t feel the need to discuss it with you further. It is typical of your posts.
It's not just to you that it comes across that way. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else on here, but E and I both interpret the same way you do.

Songbird76

You look like you're having such a good time. :) How many hours do you practice a week?
We do have a great time. We normally only rehearse on Monday nights for a couple of hours. We're having issues with our director not being reliable. We put him on sabbatical for the last few months because he kept canceling rehearsal at the last minute with really flimsy excuses, but he made rehearsals with all of his other choirs...it was only ours that he was canceling all the time, and it was almost every week. It got to the point where my husband would ask "Do you actually have rehearsal tonight or is Erik sick again?" So we told him to take some time to get better and we worked with a vocal coach for the last few months. He can't read music or make arrangements, but he helps with stage presence and vocal techniques. It's been fun. But Saturday, we had this big all-day event with 11 different choirs performing, and that was supposed to kind of be the deadline, so to speak. Erik was supposed to be there to watch us and to see what we've been working on while he's been on his sabbatical, and he wanted to meet Robin (vocal coach) and see if there was a way for them to kind of partner up to work with us to fill in the gaps. Erik can do the arrangements and teach the music while Robin can do the vocal coaching and stage presence stuff. We spent months organizing this event, and we were the very first to perform in the morning, and Erik said he'd be there. He never showed up. So someone in the board called him in the evening to check on him and it turned out that he had just woken up in the afternoon and realized he missed it. Didn't even send anyone a message to let us know what happened....no reason like he was sick or anything. Just, he fell asleep and didn't wake up on time so he didn't bother to come for the rest of the day. It was completely irresponsible and unprofessional, so I have no idea what we're going to do now. We have a great time singing together, but we need a reliable director to teach us the music and dot the I's and cross the T's.

Lilofan

It's not just to you that it comes across that way. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else on here, but E and I both interpret the same way you do.
UT Austin has some good academic programs but for drinking , students go to West 6th street which is 17 bars in a 1 block radius. There was a TX girl who did academically very well at UT ( premed ) , went to Harvard Medical School and now is an ER doctor in San Francisco.

Clearly you don’t realize how your posts about women are coming across, at least to me, so that is my response. I don’t feel the need to discuss it with you further. It is typical of your posts.
Extremely odd way on interpreting my posts on a student that is successful after her time at UT. “ posts about women “ is truly bizarre on how you “ interpret “.🤔

Songbird76

Extremely odd way on interpreting my posts on a student that is successful after her time at UT. “ posts about women “ is truly bizarre on how you “ interpret “.🤔
I won't be engaging in further discussion with you on this topic. It has been asked that we move on to other things and I don't need your permission or approval. I was simply showing support for another forum user, letting her know that she was not alone in her feelings. This is not the place for arguments and discord. Let's move on.

On a completely different note, it's been rather chilly and rainy for weeks, and now the last two days are hot and sunny, which the Dutch are not used to. It's my only day off because our manager is on vacation this week, so we all have to work more hours than usual, so I walked to the Centrum for some exercise since E has a friend over to watch Bridgerton and I didn't want to get in their way. I was walking back, and my neighbor drove past and asked if I wanted a ride back, which I politely declined, since the whole purpose was to get exercise. When I got home, she was out front and she was like "Why didn't you want a ride???" I told her I was just getting some exercise, so the ride would rather defeat the purpose. She was like "In this heat???" It's really not THAT bad....it's only like 86 degrees or something, and considering it was a real feel of 115 last year at Disney for more than a week, I'm ok with 86. And it was only a few miles to walk there and back, and I had a 750ml bottle of ice water with me, so I was fine. Apparently I have been losing weight, though I haven't really noticed it myself. But so far a couple of neighbors have commented on it, and someone I don't even know who often sees E and me walking past her house came in to shop where I work and she said I had lost a lot of weight. So I guess it must be true. We have been walking a lot, and I have bought a lot of new clothes that are more in style, so I didn't notice my clothes fitting differently....I'm not wearing the same things. But it makes me happy that I'm apparently looking better.

HouCuseChickie

I think you're right...I think it was UT, but I don't know for sure. I just know they gave her pretty much a full ride to go there, so that's great for her. The Netherlands are known for being pretty liberal, and even our "conservative government" is considered liberal by US standards....at least conservatives would say it's very liberal here. I'm sure there will be a bit of culture shock no matter what. Even going to college within your own country can be a shock. For most kids, it's the first time they are living away from mom and dad, on their own, having to do their own grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, etc...it's a whole different world. I personally LOVED it, because I came from such a sheltered environment that it was very liberating to be on my own and not have to miss out on things because I wasn't allowed to be out past dark, or because someone's parents weren't going to be home, or because it wasn't an activity my mother approved of. If the choir decided to go out to McDonald's after rehearsal, I didn't have to ask permission. But I think it can also be very overwhelming for someone who has never had to do anything for themselves.

We've joked that E's future college roommates (If she ever ends up living in student housing) are going to love her because she can cook, sew, crochet, bake, etc. She has all these "granny hobbies" as she calls them, that make her pretty self-sufficient. She fixes her friends' clothing when they have a wardrobe malfunction and they all follow her lead with cooking when they get together and have dinner. Most kids her age have never prepared a meal for even themselves, let alone for a whole group. So her future roommates will be lucky because they won't have to fend for themselves as much. But as much as I loved going to college and being independent, I can't imagine going to a completely different country, with a different language, to study. I think I would have been too intimidated to try that. I hope Jente will enjoy it though.

That’s awesome that they were so generous with her award. UT is notoriously stingy, so she really impressed them. I know you’ve talked about how challenging and advanced your schools are, so it clearly was noticed by their admissions staff. I’ve had friends whose kids opted for Ivy League or near-Ivy because those schools gave their kids a ton while UT offered nothing. Yes, going off to college is usually a big shock to the system for most kids, but often in a good way. I’m sure it was so liberating for you considering everything with your mom. It’s definitely less of a transition if kids have learned to do certain tasks for themselves before college. During an ice breaker exercise last weekend, we met a mom who still does her college bound son’s laundry.

That’s one thing we really didn’t see a lot of when I was in school. The first 2 years was all dining hall and food court food with some snacks from the school store. My last 2 years, I lived in a Greek house and our house mother prepared meals. I at least could cook. I’d periodically make dinner for my family during high school. Our dorms had stovetops and the sorority house had a full kitchen, so we’d cook every now and then if we got a craving for something. Kendall will have a meal plan her first year, but we’ve been trying to get her more comfortable cooking. I’m sure if E finds herself in a roommate situation, her hobbies will be appreciated. Baking alone would be great to have in a roomie. A lot of the dorms here are pretty limited on cooking options, but I’m sure things are different over there.

Songbird76

That’s awesome that they were so generous with her award. UT is notoriously stingy, so she really impressed them. I know you’ve talked about how challenging and advanced your schools are, so it clearly was noticed by their admissions staff. I’ve had friends whose kids opted for Ivy League or near-Ivy because those schools gave their kids a ton while UT offered nothing. Yes, going off to college is usually a big shock to the system for most kids, but often in a good way. I’m sure it was so liberating for you considering everything with your mom. It’s definitely less of a transition if kids have learned to do certain tasks for themselves before college. During an ice breaker exercise last weekend, we met a mom who still does her college bound son’s laundry.

That’s one thing we really didn’t see a lot of when I was in school. The first 2 years was all dining hall and food court food with some snacks from the school store. My last 2 years, I lived in a Greek house and our house mother prepared meals. I at least could cook. I’d periodically make dinner for my family during high school. Our dorms had stovetops and the sorority house had a full kitchen, so we’d cook every now and then if we got a craving for something. Kendall will have a meal plan her first year, but we’ve been trying to get her more comfortable cooking. I’m sure if E finds herself in a roommate situation, her hobbies will be appreciated. Baking alone would be great to have in a roomie. A lot of the dorms here are pretty limited on cooking options, but I’m sure things are different over there.
Yeah, there are no dorms here like there are in the US. It's all apartments basically, and there will be a communal kitchen most likely, but it won't be anything fancy. I have a set of knives, really good ones, and I've already told her she's not allowed to take those into a roommate situation because not everyone knows how to treat their knives, and also I'm afraid they'd get stolen. When I was in college, I lived in the forms for a few years, and we had no kitchen or anything, and weren't allowed hotplates or anything. There was a microwave on every floor, and other than that, it was all dining hall. But since they don't do dorms like that here, I don't think that will be a problem. There's no such thing as a dining hall, and they've got to be able to prepare food, so there would have to be some sort of a kitchen.

I don't know for sure it WAS UT...it might not be, but it would make sense if she's studying geology and that's a program they are known for.

Sans Souci

We do have a great time. We normally only rehearse on Monday nights for a couple of hours. We're having issues with our director not being reliable. We put him on sabbatical for the last few months because he kept canceling rehearsal at the last minute with really flimsy excuses, but he made rehearsals with all of his other choirs...it was only ours that he was canceling all the time, and it was almost every week. It got to the point where my husband would ask "Do you actually have rehearsal tonight or is Erik sick again?" So we told him to take some time to get better and we worked with a vocal coach for the last few months. He can't read music or make arrangements, but he helps with stage presence and vocal techniques. It's been fun. But Saturday, we had this big all-day event with 11 different choirs performing, and that was supposed to kind of be the deadline, so to speak. Erik was supposed to be there to watch us and to see what we've been working on while he's been on his sabbatical, and he wanted to meet Robin (vocal coach) and see if there was a way for them to kind of partner up to work with us to fill in the gaps. Erik can do the arrangements and teach the music while Robin can do the vocal coaching and stage presence stuff. We spent months organizing this event, and we were the very first to perform in the morning, and Erik said he'd be there. He never showed up. So someone in the board called him in the evening to check on him and it turned out that he had just woken up in the afternoon and realized he missed it. Didn't even send anyone a message to let us know what happened....no reason like he was sick or anything. Just, he fell asleep and didn't wake up on time so he didn't bother to come for the rest of the day. It was completely irresponsible and unprofessional, so I have no idea what we're going to do now. We have a great time singing together, but we need a reliable director to teach us the music and dot the I's and cross the T's.

Wow. Your director seems really unprofessional. Maybe there is something else going on with him, but even if that was the case, he should have said so without divulging details. Can Robin pick up the stuff Erik was doing? That's gotta be disappointing that someone tells they're going to show up and they don't. It sounds like it's time to cut him loose. What is the point of keeping him on if he is not going to change?

Sans Souci

Where did the on-call doctor get her medical degree? A crackerjack box?? Geez! I'm so sorry you and your husband had to deal with her. I wonder what your regular doctor thought the next day. I think I would have been upset that she treated my patients that way, if I were a doctor. But I'm glad you are feeling better now.

I was thinking a Caribbean medical school. :hilarious: My husband said the next time this happens just to tell them I've tested positive. It takes four days of symptoms before I am positive.

Sans Souci

I won't be engaging in further discussion with you on this topic. It has been asked that we move on to other things and I don't need your permission or approval. I was simply showing support for another forum user, letting her know that she was not alone in her feelings. This is not the place for arguments and discord. Let's move on.

On a completely different note, it's been rather chilly and rainy for weeks, and now the last two days are hot and sunny, which the Dutch are not used to. It's my only day off because our manager is on vacation this week, so we all have to work more hours than usual, so I walked to the Centrum for some exercise since E has a friend over to watch Bridgerton and I didn't want to get in their way. I was walking back, and my neighbor drove past and asked if I wanted a ride back, which I politely declined, since the whole purpose was to get exercise. When I got home, she was out front and she was like "Why didn't you want a ride???" I told her I was just getting some exercise, so the ride would rather defeat the purpose. She was like "In this heat???" It's really not THAT bad....it's only like 86 degrees or something, and considering it was a real feel of 115 last year at Disney for more than a week, I'm ok with 86. And it was only a few miles to walk there and back, and I had a 750ml bottle of ice water with me, so I was fine. Apparently I have been losing weight, though I haven't really noticed it myself. But so far a couple of neighbors have commented on it, and someone I don't even know who often sees E and me walking past her house came in to shop where I work and she said I had lost a lot of weight. So I guess it must be true. We have been walking a lot, and I have bought a lot of new clothes that are more in style, so I didn't notice my clothes fitting differently....I'm not wearing the same things. But it makes me happy that I'm apparently looking better.

Good for you on the weight loss. 🎉 That's funny how your neighbor was incredulous about you walking in the heat. The only thing I don't like when it gets hot in that part of the world is the lack of screens. I do not miss killing mosquitoes, wasps, bees and flies on an hourly basis.

EDIT: I don't kill bees, I try to let them find their own way out, but they do land on food. That grosses me out.

Last edited:

Sans Souci

Hello

I did 60 min of power yoga and went out for a walk before it got too nasty outside.

I have lemon peels in Everclear because I am making limoncello. I found this recipe for limoncello ricotta cheesecake that I was going to make for the 4th. I am having second thoughts because it's cooked in the oven in a water bath. It's going to be 95 and I am not sure I want that moisture in my house. If nothing else, I can buy some sparkling water and make spritzers, but I think I will look for another recipe.

My husband applied to go to an IT conference in Sept that is being held at Coronado Springs. He just has to wait for it to be approved. If he can go, I am going with him. I hope it gets approved. 🤞

Lilofan

Hello

I did 60 min of power yoga and went out for a walk before it got too nasty outside.

I have lemon peels in Everclear because I am making limoncello. I found this recipe for limoncello ricotta cheesecake that I was going to make for the 4th. I am having second thoughts because it's cooked in the oven in a water bath. It's going to be 95 and I am not sure I want that moisture in my house. If nothing else, I can buy some sparkling water and make spritzers, but I think I will look for another recipe.

My husband applied to go to an IT conference in Sept that is being held at Coronado Springs. He just has to wait for it to be approved. If he can go, I am going with him. I hope it gets approved. 🤞
We like staying at Coronado. The small gym 24/7 is by Casita 4 by the quiet pool which can be a lap pool. The walk around the lagoon is a good brisk walk for a few laps. The big Mayan pyramid pool with water slide by the Ranchos has a huge 20 person hot tub which got kinda crazy with a group there doing some serious drinking so we didn't get to soak that night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom