working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Homecoming already?? I swear we didn't have homecoming until October when I was in school! It was always frigid! But I could be wrong. Hope you are healing quickly!!

Where I grew up, we didn't have homecoming until the week of Thanksgiving. It was literally a "homecoming" for everyone returning home for the holiday. It's just become such a prom-like production, although I am happy my girls aren't into the TX tradition of mega mums. I guess at least this is done and we can move on to the next thing.

Songbird76

Where I grew up, we didn't have homecoming until the week of Thanksgiving. It was literally a "homecoming" for everyone returning home for the holiday. It's just become such a prom-like production, although I am happy my girls aren't into the TX tradition of mega mums. I guess at least this is done and we can move on to the next thing.
Mega mums? Homecoming was always MEANT to be for the returning alumni, but I never understood how that worked, considering most everyone was in college classes. And things like the homecoming dance were only open to current students, not alumni. So really, what was there, besides the bonfire and the game for the people who came home? It would have made more sense to have some activities.

HouCuseChickie

Mega mums? Homecoming was always MEANT to be for the returning alumni, but I never understood how that worked, considering most everyone was in college classes. And things like the homecoming dance were only open to current students, not alumni. So really, what was there, besides the bonfire and the game for the people who came home? It would have made more sense to have some activities.

Apparently it's a Texas thing. I've never encountered anyone from any other state that's seen such a thing. Back in the day (according to the older generations that have shared with me), it used to be clusters of real flowers and they'd mock girls wearing faux, but now, it's as big and as fake as it can get. This is what I would normally expect...
1694526768638.png
But every now and then you see utterly massive ones.
1694526884705.png1694526942096.png
While I have a mum connection, I'm super thankful my kids want nothing to do with this.

I think that's part of why my school never had a homecoming dance. There was a parade, pep rally, and football game that were open to all and that's it. I don't think we even had a bonfire. To be honest, I never bothered going to ours since I was never in anything that was involved in it and we usually had family things going on. Still, it at least was something that wasn't specific to current students.

Sans Souci

Apparently it's a Texas thing. I've never encountered anyone from any other state that's seen such a thing. Back in the day (according to the older generations that have shared with me), it used to be clusters of real flowers and they'd mock girls wearing faux, but now, it's as big and as fake as it can get. This is what I would normally expect...
View attachment 742567
View attachment 742568View attachment 742569
While I have a mum connection, I'm super thankful my kids want nothing to do with this.

I think that's part of why my school never had a homecoming dance. There was a parade, pep rally, and football game that were open to all and that's it. I don't think we even had a bonfire. To be honest, I never bothered going to ours since I was never in anything that was involved in it and we usually had family things going on. Still, it at least was something that wasn't specific to current students.

Is it all girls who do this or is it just the Homecoming Queen and the court?These are...unique. Some of them remind me of macramé. Do they carry them around at the dance or are they just for photos and they are done? I can understand why your daughters wouldn't want one. They look unwieldy and over the top, but I am not their intended consumer.

Sans Souci

I think the football game was meant for the alumni and I guess a dance came about from that? I remember being "dressy casual" for the Homecoming dance. Now it's like what @HouCuseChickie said about being Prom-like. The only formal dance when I was in HS was Prom, now it seems like they are all mini Proms leading up the Prom.

Speaking of Prom, has anyone ever seen those Adult Proms? I wonder what those are like? Definitely not my cup of tea, but I am curious what goes on at those things? Maybe it's like a wedding without the bride and groom(and prob no open bar), so just dancing and dinner. :p

Sans Souci

Hello-

Checking in with a chest and triceps strength training w/o. It was pretty low key, so I didn't over-exert myself. I have tested negative for covid today. All three of us are now covid-free.🎉 My husband is going back to Jersey City tonight, so he can return to work in the AM. It's going to be weird, because we've been together for the past 4 weeks.

Since I am negative, I am going out for a walk later on. It'll be good to get some fresh air without a mask on.

HouCuseChickie

Is it all girls who do this or is it just the Homecoming Queen and the court?These are...unique. Some of them remind me of macramé. Do they carry them around at the dance or are they just for photos and they are done? I can understand why your daughters wouldn't want one. They look unwieldy and over the top, but I am not their intended consumer.

It's not limited to the queen and court. Pretty much anyone can have a mum. Even guys have started getting them. One of the moms on our team makes them and it's a combination of ribbons, cardboard backing pieces, glue guns, and little trinkets like bears and bells. Most seem to lug them around school during homecoming week and then wear them to the pep rally and football game. The dance is one of the few spots where a traditional corsage is more the norm.

HouCuseChickie

I think the football game was meant for the alumni and I guess a dance came about from that? I remember being "dressy casual" for the Homecoming dance. Now it's like what @HouCuseChickie said about being Prom-like. The only formal dance when I was in HS was Prom, now it seems like they are all mini Proms leading up the Prom.

Speaking of Prom, has anyone ever seen those Adult Proms? I wonder what those are like? Definitely not my cup of tea, but I am curious what goes on at those things? Maybe it's like a wedding without the bride and groom(and prob no open bar), so just dancing and dinner. :p

While Sam opted for casual footwear all night (vs. something dressy for pics) and didn’t go all out like K, this is a good example of the attire ranges I saw with the kids.

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_9045.jpeg

Several years ago, my friend wanted to do an adult prom. It never came to fruition, but we were looking at restaurants with private rooms that afforded enough room to dance. We never got past vintage dress vs modern and all girls vs bringing dates (since not everyone was married). It sounded fun, but I think looking at dresses and discussing songs for a playlist was enough.

Sans Souci

While Sam opted for casual footwear all night (vs. something dressy for pics) and didn’t go all out like K, this is a good example of the attire ranges I saw with the kids.

View attachment 742611

View attachment 742612

Several years ago, my friend wanted to do an adult prom. It never came to fruition, but we were looking at restaurants with private rooms that afforded enough room to dance. We never got past vintage dress vs modern and all girls vs bringing dates (since not everyone was married). It sounded fun, but I think looking at dresses and discussing songs for a playlist was enough.

Both of these outfits are really adorable. I really like the dress with the converse hi tops. It's really funky. When I was in Nice, I was seeing groups of women out on the town at night and they had LBDs and old school, white, leather sneakers on. It's like someone finally got the memo that high heels suck for walking longer distances.

I really like K's outfit, too. I love the color of the sequins and the matching shoes. That's a very pretty outfit.

Sans Souci

Good morning. ⛈️

Checking in with a glute and hamstring workout. I liked it. :)

I made an appointment for a manicure/pedicure at a new place. I hoping they are nicer there than my usual place. I went just before we flew to my MIL's house. There is a woman there who is freaking miserable and she takes it out on customers. Last year, I booked a manicure and pedicure and the tech finished my pedicure. I went in the waiting area thinking they would tell me where to sit for me manicure. This woman came over and said, "Why are you still here?" I told her I was waiting for my manicure and she told me I didn't schedule one. I scheduled a combo m/p online. You have to select it. I showed her the confirmation text I got. She got really put out and told me to sit at here station. When she was doing my nails, she would jerk at the hand and thus my arm she wanted to work on and then throw my hand down when she was done. This was a gel manicure, so this went on for about 20 min. She was unnecessarily rough and I still tipped her. My husband came in at the tail end to pick me up and saw how she was working on me. Later on that day he asked me what I thought about the tech and I said she was ok. He told me he thought she was out of order. I thought maybe she was having a bad day.

So, my last trip was last month and she was there when I showed up for my appt. Thankfully, I got a different nail tech. When he was done with my feet, he told me to sit at his table. So, I got up and walked over barefoot. OMG, this woman yelled at me for doing that and looked at me like I was less than human. She said, "Don't you know your nails are dry and you can put your shoes on?" She was so loud and condescending. Other customers were looking at me and I was embarrassed. I know they are dry, but who cares if I walk barefoot 12 ft to sit down somewhere else? This affects you how? So, I also needed my brows shaped at this appt and my tech passes me off to her. My heart sank. I went in the back and laid down on the table. Instead of asking me to move my head in a certain direction for her, she would place both hands on either side of my head and brusquely move it in the direction she wanted. OMG, just ask me to move my head or gently guide with your hands. So, after I paid, instead of splitting up the tips, I gave all my tips to the the tech who did my nails and nothing to her. She saw me give all the tips to him and nothing to her. This is the first time ever I did not tip for a service. I swear on my son's life, I am easy-going when I go for hair/nails. I don't ask for nail art. I just get a single color gel m/p. I don't look for little flaws and demand a do over. I am quiet and I don't talk the tech's ear off and I also don't treat them like they are below me. I just want to look neat and tidy. But I had reached my limit with this woman. I am never going back there again and I am hoping this new place is a little more friendly.

Anyway, I am just anxious about this new place. It's such a stupid thing to be anxious about, I know. 😂

HouCuseChickie

Both of these outfits are really adorable. I really like the dress with the converse hi tops. It's really funky. When I was in Nice, I was seeing groups of women out on the town at night and they had LBDs and old school, white, leather sneakers on. It's like someone finally got the memo that high heels suck for walking longer distances.

I really like K's outfit, too. I love the color of the sequins and the matching shoes. That's a very pretty outfit.

She actually tried it with a couple of other pairs of sneakers. None of the all white ones made the photo cut, but her AF1s bring in navy and silver.

IMG_3490.jpeg

I was so happy K wanted the sequined dress. She tried on about six, but this was the only one that I pulled. I love sequins and think this would work for any dressy college events in the coming years. The shoes were recycled from 2021 homecoming. They are ridiculously uncomfortable, but they were right for the dress. I got her some more casual white squishy platform sandals for dancing.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning. ⛈️

I made an appointment for a manicure/pedicure at a new place. I hoping they are nicer there than my usual place. I went just before we flew to my MIL's house. There is a woman there who is freaking miserable and she takes it out on customers. Last year, I booked a manicure and pedicure and the tech finished my pedicure. I went in the waiting area thinking they would tell me where to sit for me manicure. This woman came over and said, "Why are you still here?" I told her I was waiting for my manicure and she told me I didn't schedule one. I scheduled a combo m/p online. You have to select it. I showed her the confirmation text I got. She got really put out and told me to sit at here station. When she was doing my nails, she would jerk at the hand and thus my arm she wanted to work on and then throw my hand down when she was done. This was a gel manicure, so this went on for about 20 min. She was unnecessarily rough and I still tipped her. My husband came in at the tail end to pick me up and saw how she was working on me. Later on that day he asked me what I thought about the tech and I said she was ok. He told me he thought she was out of order. I thought maybe she was having a bad day.

So, my last trip was last month and she was there when I showed up for my appt. Thankfully, I got a different nail tech. When he was done with my feet, he told me to sit at his table. So, I got up and walked over barefoot. OMG, this woman yelled at me for doing that and looked at me like I was less than human. She said, "Don't you know your nails are dry and you can put your shoes on?" She was so loud and condescending. Other customers were looking at me and I was embarrassed. I know they are dry, but who cares if I walk barefoot 12 ft to sit down somewhere else? This affects you how? So, I also needed my brows shaped at this appt and my tech passes me off to her. My heart sank. I went in the back and laid down on the table. Instead of asking me to move my head in a certain direction for her, she would place both hands on either side of my head and brusquely move it in the direction she wanted. OMG, just ask me to move my head or gently guide with your hands. So, after I paid, instead of splitting up the tips, I gave all my tips to the the tech who did my nails and nothing to her. She saw me give all the tips to him and nothing to her. This is the first time ever I did not tip for a service. I swear on my son's life, I am easy-going when I go for hair/nails. I don't ask for nail art. I just get a single color gel m/p. I don't look for little flaws and demand a do over. I am quiet and I don't talk the tech's ear off and I also don't treat them like they are below me. I just want to look neat and tidy. But I had reached my limit with this woman. I am never going back there again and I am hoping this new place is a little more friendly.

Anyway, I am just anxious about this new place. It's such a stupid thing to be anxious about, I know. 😂

I don't blame you one bit for the tipping thing and their actions/behaviors are totally out of line. Those are not good experiences and it's no wonder you're looking for a new place. I also understand the anxiousness. I think this is why I've never gotten into mani/pedis. Every time I have tried, I have an issue. I'm already not a big fan of people touching me, so when I allow them for something like this (especially considering I'm paying for it), it better be enjoyable! K got her nails done for homecoming and I was actually relieved that she found a high school student doing beauty school/nail tech as part of her course path. I didn't have to go through all of my emotions about nail salons.

Songbird76

View attachment 742567
View attachment 742568View attachment 742569

I didn't have much of a choice but to go to everything. I was a cheerleader my freshman year. (I gave it up after that because there was too much cattyness in the squad and it wasn't fun anymore) and I was in student council every year. We were the ones who organized everything, so I had to be there for all of it.

I think I saw some stuff about the mums on a tv show, maybe....but do they also do the over-the-top promposals? That was never a thing when I was in school. Now it seems to be everywhere. It seems a bit ridiculous....the amount of money spent on elaborate costumes, big spectacles...such a waste. But then I don't like to be the center of attention.

Songbird76

It's not limited to the queen and court. Pretty much anyone can have a mum. Even guys have started getting them. One of the moms on our team makes them and it's a combination of ribbons, cardboard backing pieces, glue guns, and little trinkets like bears and bells. Most seem to lug them around school during homecoming week and then wear them to the pep rally and football game. The dance is one of the few spots where a traditional corsage is more the norm.
But they don't make them themselves, right? Isn't it like....how a boy asks a girl to homecoming? Or am I wrong?

Songbird76

Good morning. ⛈️

I don't think it's a stupid thing to be anxious about at all. I'd be the same way. When you are paying so much for a service, you don't want to be publically humiliated or yanked around and treated like crap. I think you should complain about her and let them know you won't be coming back because of her. If they get enough complaints, hopefully they would at least talk to her and make her be more customer friendly. You don't need to be fake, but at least treat your customers with respect!! And good for you giving all the tips to him. I hope that made her think, but it probably didn't.

I had a mani for my wedding....never again. I can't stand wearing fake nails, and actually I only had 3 tips because I grew my nails out and 3 of them broke, but the rest were my own nails. But I just didn't like the experience and I had the HARDEST time getting those tips off after the wedding. Then I got a pedi for my brother's wedding, thinking...no fake nails for that, so I'll be ok. OMG, the leg massage hurt so much! WHY does anyone DO that to themselves? I thought it was supposed to be this nice relaxing pampering treatment. I will not be subjecting myself to that ever again. I'll paint my OWN nails, thanks.

HouCuseChickie

But they don't make them themselves, right? Isn't it like....how a boy asks a girl to homecoming? Or am I wrong?

Most times they buy them. The supermarkets and local flower shops usually have a variety of options, but there are also a lot of crafty moms that make mums as a side business. I've seen some present them with a mum when asking them to hoco and I've seen others just stage a hoco proposal (like promposals) and gift the mum afterwards.

HouCuseChickie

I didn't have much of a choice but to go to everything. I was a cheerleader my freshman year. (I gave it up after that because there was too much cattyness in the squad and it wasn't fun anymore) and I was in student council every year. We were the ones who organized everything, so I had to be there for all of it.

I think I saw some stuff about the mums on a tv show, maybe....but do they also do the over-the-top promposals? That was never a thing when I was in school. Now it seems to be everywhere. It seems a bit ridiculous....the amount of money spent on elaborate costumes, big spectacles...such a waste. But then I don't like to be the center of attention.

Yeah, things like cheer (dance team, band, stuco, etc.) are usually pretty heavily involved in events like homecoming. Kendall wanted to be in student council, but early on, but she bought into some lies from one of the really nasty popular girls about who can belong rather than confirming with a teacher. She was told she had to be in a specific class to be a part of it and when it didn't fit into her schedule, she gave up. That never made sense to me and I encouraged her to ask, but I strongly suspect that she didn't push it because there's a crossover between cheerleaders/dance team and student council. It's too bad, but I don't think she wanted to get pushed around by mean girls.

On one hand, I feel like this whole promposal thing is just so out of hand. I think social media and reality tv is what's really driven it to be this major spectacle. On the other hand, I don't want to complain too much because the dresses the girls all seem to be interested in are significantly cheaper than what we used to wear. I also haven't seen elaborate corsages like the ones we saw my senior year. We also had both a junior and a senior prom, while these kids just get one prom. Mind you, I did skip out on a limo both years so that I could have my dream dresses. I don't think I'm going to be so lucky with Kendall.

Sans Souci

I don't blame you one bit for the tipping thing and their actions/behaviors are totally out of line. Those are not good experiences and it's no wonder you're looking for a new place. I also understand the anxiousness. I think this is why I've never gotten into mani/pedis. Every time I have tried, I have an issue. I'm already not a big fan of people touching me, so when I allow them for something like this (especially considering I'm paying for it), it better be enjoyable! K got her nails done for homecoming and I was actually relieved that she found a high school student doing beauty school/nail tech as part of her course path. I didn't have to go through all of my emotions about nail salons.

I am weird about people touching me, too. I only go 2-3 times a year, typically before a vacation or something like an anniversary meal. I find it all very awkward. I never know what to say. A couple of years ago, my husband and I went at the same time (He only got a pedicure) and the tech saw his feet and cracked a suggestive joke about his feet and winked at me. I am not above a bit of ribaldry (with people very close to me) from time to time, but it's unprofessional at work. Then, I was getting my nails done and my husband was still getting his gnarly feet worked on and the tech asked what was wrong with me. I am a very introverted, very quiet person, plus I just wanted to zone out for a bit and just enjoy the massage chair. I never gave a dirty look and sometimes I would chime in to the conversation my husband and the tech were having. Maybe I have RBF, I don't know. 😂

Sans Souci

I don't think it's a stupid thing to be anxious about at all. I'd be the same way. When you are paying so much for a service, you don't want to be publically humiliated or yanked around and treated like crap. I think you should complain about her and let them know you won't be coming back because of her. If they get enough complaints, hopefully they would at least talk to her and make her be more customer friendly. You don't need to be fake, but at least treat your customers with respect!! And good for you giving all the tips to him. I hope that made her think, but it probably didn't.

I had a mani for my wedding....never again. I can't stand wearing fake nails, and actually I only had 3 tips because I grew my nails out and 3 of them broke, but the rest were my own nails. But I just didn't like the experience and I had the HARDEST time getting those tips off after the wedding. Then I got a pedi for my brother's wedding, thinking...no fake nails for that, so I'll be ok. OMG, the leg massage hurt so much! WHY does anyone DO that to themselves? I thought it was supposed to be this nice relaxing pampering treatment. I will not be subjecting myself to that ever again. I'll paint my OWN nails, thanks.

I only had fake nails for my wedding, too. Then on my honeymoon, I put on sunscreen and the nails started breaking done. That is the only time I ever had them. I just have my own nails and I get a UV light cured gel polish on them. My nails tear at the quick and this helps them not break so easily.

That massage sounds awful. I have never had a painful leg massage, it sounds like your tech was heavy-handed.

I don't think it would be worth talking to anyone at the spa. I haven't seen the owner in years and I only go 2-3 times/year, so I am not a customer worth recovering. That's fine. I want to polish my own nails, but my right hand looks like rubbish when I paint them myself and I really like the gel polish. I would need to see if there is a home version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom