working out for Disney

Songbird76

I really like that daffodil with the peach-y center. I've never seen that variety.
I know! I had only ever seen the plain yellow ones, and then someone else posted a picture a couple of weeks ago of a 2 color one, and I didn't know they existed. Then I was out on my walk and I saw these and I HAD to take a picture because they were so striking!

Sans Souci

Hello-

I haven't worked out since Friday. We did a lot of walking over the weekend. It was overall, a fun weekend. But the bed seemed to have really made my glute injury feel worse. On Sat., I woke up feeling achy down my left leg, but once I got moving, I was fine. We went walking Saturday, just taking everything in. It started out gloomy, but the sun came out and it got pleasantly warm. We went out for (outdoor)dinner and since it was light still, we walked back to our hotel room. There was lot of people hanging out, sitting in the grass on The Mall. There were people playing guitars and people playing frisbee with humans and doggos. It was just a really good vibe and it was a pleasant 30 min. walk back.

I went to sleep and I woke up a couple of hours later. No matter how I positioned myself, I could not get this burning, shooting pain down my leg to stop. There was a pull out sofa, so I looked for linens to make the bed. There were none. I was just hoping a different mattress might help me. Plus, I was probably keeping my husband up with my constant shifting. It hurt to walk and it hurt to sit down on the sofa. So, I went back to bed and slept the best I could. When I got up, I was limping around. I was hoping to get out for a morning walk, but I wasn't sure that was in the cards. I did go out after breakfast and it did hurt a lot at first. But the pain reduced a bit once I had been moving for 10 minutes. What hurt the most was standing still. So, we got our steps in and drove home. The drive was pain-free. But I was sore when I got home. I slept so much better last night and I am feeling so much better today. I really think the mattress aggravated my glute. I haven't worked out yet. But I am thinking an upper body workout and just keep moving around the house. It feels better when I move around a bit. I don't mean like 1 minute of burpees or anything like that, but just doing stuff around the house.

But we had lots of good food (outdoors) and some really gorgeous weather, so overall, it was a good time. 👍

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, we didn't have the really competitive sports at all growing up. But in Wyoming, we don't get much nice weather until June. We don't have baseball/softball through the school, and our small school was even more limited with sports. Through the school, we had basketball, volleyball, wrestling, football, cross country and track. That's it. We didn't have a pool, so there was no swim team or diving. No tennis courts. Our track was ripped out to put in a new one and then they used the money to replace one in the bigger town where it would "be used by more kids" so ours was just covered with shale and left...we couldn't have track meets because we didn't have the facilities. We didn't have a golf team, though they might now...we never had soccer. Through the rec center, I had t-ball, then we had little league. One Summer they did the softball, but I think it was only the one summer and then they didn't have coaches. They offered tennis one summer...there were only 3 of us. We did soccer one summer, but we didn't even have enough kids for a team, so we just learned to dribble. We didn't have a field, even if we had had enough kids. So the really high quality didn't exist, and we wouldn't have been able to afford it if they had offered it. It blows my mind what I read about some of these kids being able to do, from a young age. I have never been particularly coordinated or athletic, so it's all very much beyond me!

I think weather does play a role. We had a wide array of sports at my high school, but any snow potential cleared up early enough to allow for things like baseball and softball in the spring while school was still in session. My university didn't add softball until 2000 and only recently got a decent stadium for the girls, which is likely due to the awful weather in upstate NY. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works, but it looks like some northern schools cut out some of their non-conference season due to weather and rely on conference play to make it to OK City for the college world series. I've also noticed that other northern schools either don't have these spring/summer sports OR they pack their roster with kids from areas with better climates. Ex. Boise State has a softball team, but nearly their entire roster is either from CA, OR or southern spots. Still, it's all changed so much since I was a kid. Kids still want to make varsity, but the competitive kids no longer really enjoy playing on their school teams as much as they do with their club/travel ball teams. The school teams just aren't nearly as competitive and the college scouts now recruit from these travel ball tournaments, pay to play elite national teams, and college camps. While we do put a lot of $ into softball, it's pocket change compared to what some of these people are paying for their kids to play and possibly be picked up by a top tier school. I am about as far from athletic as you can possibly be, but thankfully, my kids have inherited more of my husband's skills. So, we foster it without going too crazy.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning,

I'm not sure how I did it, but I got in a workout last night. We had gone out for my husband's 50th birthday meal earlier in the day (since softball, work and school would make it impossible to celebrate on or closer to the day). We went to a Brazilian steakhouse and I tried to focus really heavily on the meat. By the time we got home, I slept for several hours from all of it. Still, it was sooooooooooo good! Eventually, I biked for 45 minutes (about 14.5 miles), did about 10-15 minutes of leg work, and then some planking for my core. I may go for a walk later. Pollen is finally calming down here and it would be nice to get out. We'll see. It might be more gym time.

I also need to do more cake work. I decided to do a Dr. Who theme and I've begun work on the decorative elements.

EDIT- Holy cow! Maybe you remember how our neighbors complained to our HOA about our approved construction debris bin? So, you'd think they would want us to keep a nice yard if they're so concerned about the appearance of said construction debris, right? We just hired some lawn guys, because we haven't had much time to work on the yard. The wife comes outside while they are finishing up, screamed at them that they were creating too much dust and had to stop immediately. So, we can't have an unsightly construction debris bin, but our yard guys also can't do their job to help with the upkeep of our yard. It also wasn't crack of dawn either...like 10:30-11am-ish. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Songbird76

I think weather does play a role. We had a wide array of sports at my high school, but any snow potential cleared up early enough to allow for things like baseball and softball in the spring while school was still in session. My university didn't add softball until 2000 and only recently got a decent stadium for the girls, which is likely due to the awful weather in upstate NY. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works, but it looks like some northern schools cut out some of their non-conference season due to weather and rely on conference play to make it to OK City for the college world series. I've also noticed that other northern schools either don't have these spring/summer sports OR they pack their roster with kids from areas with better climates. Ex. Boise State has a softball team, but nearly their entire roster is either from CA, OR or southern spots. Still, it's all changed so much since I was a kid. Kids still want to make varsity, but the competitive kids no longer really enjoy playing on their school teams as much as they do with their club/travel ball teams. The school teams just aren't nearly as competitive and the college scouts now recruit from these travel ball tournaments, pay to play elite national teams, and college camps. While we do put a lot of $ into softball, it's pocket change compared to what some of these people are paying for their kids to play and possibly be picked up by a top tier school. I am about as far from athletic as you can possibly be, but thankfully, my kids have inherited more of my husband's skills. So, we foster it without going too crazy.
My mom came from an athletic family. Her brother played basketball and was able to play in college. My mom played volleyball and basketball through a community program, since womens sports weren't a "thing" yet when she was in school. (She graduated in the 50s) It drove her nuts that neither my brother nor I were athletic. I remember her complaining that she could "run forever" without getting tired when we were in school and we would get winded while we were playing in our back yard. She had a volleyball and net that she'd set up and we'd play and she would get frustrated with us. But we just didn't have the opportunities. There were no clubs or organizations outside of the school, and school sports didn't start until at least 7th grade, with the exception of little league in the Summer and those few times they tried to offer something different through the rec center and it just never took off. But I always preferred to stay indoors. I just don't have the coordination for most sports and it's really no fun if you are bad at it. It's not fun to lose every time, or to always get picked last in P.E., or to sit on the bench through the whole game and only get to play for 30 seconds, IF the coach even bothers to put you in. I was never an athlete. A enjoys sports and loves P.E., but didn't enjoy team sports so much because he was not good compared to all the other kids. In his school, he's fine, and we've got him in tennis now....he does well in sports that have a team component, but are actually individual. He's loving tennis. It's expensive, but it's good for him. E has zero interest in any sports.

Songbird76

Good morning,

I'm not sure how I did it, but I got in a workout last night. We had gone out for my husband's 50th birthday meal earlier in the day (since softball, work and school would make it impossible to celebrate on or closer to the day). We went to a Brazilian steakhouse and I tried to focus really heavily on the meat. By the time we got home, I slept for several hours from all of it. Still, it was sooooooooooo good! Eventually, I biked for 45 minutes (about 14.5 miles), did about 10-15 minutes of leg work, and then some planking for my core. I may go for a walk later. Pollen is finally calming down here and it would be nice to get out. We'll see. It might be more gym time.

I also need to do more cake work. I decided to do a Dr. Who theme and I've begun work on the decorative elements.

EDIT- Holy cow! Maybe you remember how our neighbors complained to our HOA about our approved construction debris bin? So, you'd think they would want us to keep a nice yard if they're so concerned about the appearance of said construction debris, right? We just hired some lawn guys, because we haven't had much time to work on the yard. The wife comes outside while they are finishing up, screamed at them that they were creating too much dust and had to stop immediately. So, we can't have an unsightly construction debris bin, but our yard guys also can't do their job to help with the upkeep of our yard. It also wasn't crack of dawn either...like 10:30-11am-ish. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Your neighbor sounds like a Karen! What authority does she have to tell them they have to stop working immediately? I would think that as long as they are following laws about not making too much noise at certain times, they'd be ok.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning,

Can I tell you how glad I am that I do not live in any HOA!!!!!!!!!!

HouCuseChickie

My mom came from an athletic family. Her brother played basketball and was able to play in college. My mom played volleyball and basketball through a community program, since womens sports weren't a "thing" yet when she was in school. (She graduated in the 50s) It drove her nuts that neither my brother nor I were athletic. I remember her complaining that she could "run forever" without getting tired when we were in school and we would get winded while we were playing in our back yard. She had a volleyball and net that she'd set up and we'd play and she would get frustrated with us. But we just didn't have the opportunities. There were no clubs or organizations outside of the school, and school sports didn't start until at least 7th grade, with the exception of little league in the Summer and those few times they tried to offer something different through the rec center and it just never took off. But I always preferred to stay indoors. I just don't have the coordination for most sports and it's really no fun if you are bad at it. It's not fun to lose every time, or to always get picked last in P.E., or to sit on the bench through the whole game and only get to play for 30 seconds, IF the coach even bothers to put you in. I was never an athlete. A enjoys sports and loves P.E., but didn't enjoy team sports so much because he was not good compared to all the other kids. In his school, he's fine, and we've got him in tennis now....he does well in sports that have a team component, but are actually individual. He's loving tennis. It's expensive, but it's good for him. E has zero interest in any sports.

While my mom taught science in her later years, most of her time teaching was PE and health. She was even an asst coach for the football team at one of her middle schools. Growing up, she played field hockey and was a competitive swimmer. She still runs for fitness, is starting to go back to the gym during slow times and we both used to take dance for fitness. It was always kind of bizarre to have my mom in the annual dance recitals. It wasn't until our YMCA director refused to put me on swim team because of my inability to swim butterfly did she realize that I wasn't really all that athletic. Still, her PE and coaching background along with the number of cranky parents she dealt with over the decades of teaching makes her extremely critical of other people's coaching and safety approaches. She means well, but anything involving school or sports can really send her off the deep end. It's interesting that you bring up the not being fun to lose every time and being picked last. I've been in that position and so have my kids. It's an awful place to be. I think that's part of why we've had to move my older one around so much and why my younger one likes where she is (for the most part). If my mom had her way, they'd both be prohibited from sliding and stealing (among other things) because she feels their level of play is too unsafe for kids. She'd be happier if they were on teams that never won and never used these elements that are part of the game. She'd rather they be picked last and sit the bench vs. engaging in these aspects of the game. The funny thing...she quoted my childhood pediatrician who reminded her that active children sometimes get injured...i.e. you can't really bubble wrap childhood without hurting them in other ways.

That's great that he's into tennis. That's one of my mom's favorite recreational sports. My brother played competitively, but I could never get into it. I know he had weekly lessons with a private coach and I'm sure all of his gear wasn't cheap. I know I've seen a few racquets that get into what we pay for bats. OUCH! E sounds like me! Mind you, I like cheering and being a spectator, but I have 0 desire to play. My husband is the complete opposite. LOL

HouCuseChickie

Your neighbor sounds like a Karen! What authority does she have to tell them they have to stop working immediately? I would think that as long as they are following laws about not making too much noise at certain times, they'd be ok.

She doesn't have any authority, but I guess he was almost done and didn't want a fight, so they stopped. It's my understanding that she had no right to tell them to stop. This occurred mid to late morning and a basic blower at that time of day would not be anything out of the ordinary. We have a large privacy fence dividing our yards, so there was nothing blown into her yard. My dad said when he worked for the government in FL, he had a few air complaints about neighbors using blowers and he'd have to tell people that there is nothing against the law to blow leaves or other natural yard debris and have particles end up in the air. Before retiring, he was an engineer who specialized in air waste management. She only yelled at them this time, so no HOA complaint, but I think I will report her if she says anything again. I just hope I can keep myself from blowing up on her if I see her first.

HouCuseChickie

Can I tell you how glad I am that I do not live in any HOA!!!!!!!!!!

There are pros and cons to it. Our first house was in a non-HOA neighborhood and we had a neighbor that we had to report to the city. If we had an HOA, we could have started there. He owned the two houses next to us. He bought the one directly next door in hopes of convincing his parents to move down from Missouri. They never did, so he just let the house go...to the point that it was eventually condemned. He still owns the land, but I guess it was eventually torn down by the city after we moved. His lawn was so overgrown at times that you couldn't see the house. He was forced to mow it because of the bio hazard it presented. He also had a large feral cat population that had taken over parts of the house and yard. I'm not sure if it was from the fighting or lack of veterinary care, but some of them looked like something out of a horror story. A couple of them were also aggressive and were trying to start moving into our yard as part of their territory. Our dog, at the time, would kill any that got into our yard. I started humanely trapping them and bringing them to a shelter. It made him so angry, but I guess the city also sent in animal control at some point to clear out the health hazards with the cats as well.

Current neighbor just yelled at the yard guys yesterday, but I may use our HOA to my advantage if she does it again. i.e. I'm trying to maintain a proper yard and my neighbor won't allow it. Ugh...some people.

Songbird76

While my mom taught science in her later years, most of her time teaching was PE and health. She was even an asst coach for the football team at one of her middle schools. Growing up, she played field hockey and was a competitive swimmer. She still runs for fitness, is starting to go back to the gym during slow times and we both used to take dance for fitness. It was always kind of bizarre to have my mom in the annual dance recitals. It wasn't until our YMCA director refused to put me on swim team because of my inability to swim butterfly did she realize that I wasn't really all that athletic. Still, her PE and coaching background along with the number of cranky parents she dealt with over the decades of teaching makes her extremely critical of other people's coaching and safety approaches. She means well, but anything involving school or sports can really send her off the deep end. It's interesting that you bring up the not being fun to lose every time and being picked last. I've been in that position and so have my kids. It's an awful place to be. I think that's part of why we've had to move my older one around so much and why my younger one likes where she is (for the most part). If my mom had her way, they'd both be prohibited from sliding and stealing (among other things) because she feels their level of play is too unsafe for kids. She'd be happier if they were on teams that never won and never used these elements that are part of the game. She'd rather they be picked last and sit the bench vs. engaging in these aspects of the game. The funny thing...she quoted my childhood pediatrician who reminded her that active children sometimes get injured...i.e. you can't really bubble wrap childhood without hurting them in other ways.

That's great that he's into tennis. That's one of my mom's favorite recreational sports. My brother played competitively, but I could never get into it. I know he had weekly lessons with a private coach and I'm sure all of his gear wasn't cheap. I know I've seen a few racquets that get into what we pay for bats. OUCH! E sounds like me! Mind you, I like cheering and being a spectator, but I have 0 desire to play. My husband is the complete opposite. LOL
It's kind of weird....my mom was really overprotective in most things, but in other ways not at all. Like...she was furious with me on my first day of kindergarten because we had to walk, and my brother pointed to some teen boy across the street and told me he saw the kid had a huge knife and he heard the kid liked kindergarteners or some nonsense....he was trying to scare me. But being 5 and naive, I didn't realize that. I ran back to the house scared to death and my mom had to take time out of her busy day to walk me to school and explain why I was late. I would never have let my kids walk to school by themselves at that age and I have to wonder what my mom was thinking, especially being angry just because I was scared. But then in other things she was soooooo over protective. I was the only 17 year old who had to be home before it got dark, which meant 5:00 in the winter. The exceptions were school events like games or dances, but then I had to call my mom within 10 minutes of that event being over to come pick me up, or once I could drive, I had to be home 10 minutes after she started seeing cars leaving the parking lot. (Small town....you could see the school from our house) OR if I was with my brother it was ok. But I wasn't allowed to wear makeup, I wasn't allowed to date....when I was 17 I could go out in a group of friends that included boys, but it couldn't always be the same boys. (Not that any boys would have been caught dead hanging out with me.) I wasn't allowed to peg-leg my pants, wear stonewash jeans, or leather jackets, and nothing with fringe. (Fringe is for prostitutes) And no mall hair. She was exremely strict with my clothing and hair, and my social contacts, but then let me walk to school alone when I was 5? It makes no sense.

A started out with a kind of 4-square game at school. When he switched to special ed, he was introduced to it in recess. Their recess was structured there. Games like 4 square, hop scotch, etc were painted on the ground, including waiting spots, so you always knew whose turn it was, and they were supervised. So he learned at school and really liked it and got quite good at it. When we went to physical therapy, his PT started playing it with him at the end of each session as a sort of reward for hard work, and also to work on gross motorskills, balance, hand/eye coordination, etc. His PT said we really needed to get him into a sport to work on those things and also get him in better shape because he got winded really easily and he was starting to get pretty heavy. So we had to find him a sport that he could do that he would enjoy, but would also fit with his character. He has issues with social skills, so team sports are tough. He gets REALLY angry when he thinks someone is being unfair, like if they don't pass the ball to him, or they both go after the ball and collide, etc...he thinks it's always intentional. So team sports just....don't work. So the PT said we needed a sport that he plays by himself, but is also part of a group. We looked at golf, but they don't offer it for kids in our town and the one we found near us required a parent to join too. I couldn't drive him, so that meant my husband would have to join and he didn't want to. When the PT noticed how good A was at Kingen, he started giving A a racket instead of using his hands to see how he'd do, and he said tennis is close enough, he thought A would like it. And he does. There's no competitive sport right now with covid anyway, but I don't know if A will want to compete anyway. It's more just for fitness and coordination. But he's actually pretty good at it. His first lesson, he did almost as well as the other boys, who had all been playing for a couple of years. I don't think he'd ever be a really high level player, but he is decent at it and has fun with it. And that along with his chess gives him something to keep him busy, interact with other kids outside of school, learn about discipline, fair play, etc...it's been so good for him!

HouCuseChickie

It's kind of weird....my mom was really overprotective in most things, but in other ways not at all. Like...she was furious with me on my first day of kindergarten because we had to walk, and my brother pointed to some teen boy across the street and told me he saw the kid had a huge knife and he heard the kid liked kindergarteners or some nonsense....he was trying to scare me. But being 5 and naive, I didn't realize that. I ran back to the house scared to death and my mom had to take time out of her busy day to walk me to school and explain why I was late. I would never have let my kids walk to school by themselves at that age and I have to wonder what my mom was thinking, especially being angry just because I was scared. But then in other things she was soooooo over protective. I was the only 17 year old who had to be home before it got dark, which meant 5:00 in the winter. The exceptions were school events like games or dances, but then I had to call my mom within 10 minutes of that event being over to come pick me up, or once I could drive, I had to be home 10 minutes after she started seeing cars leaving the parking lot. (Small town....you could see the school from our house) OR if I was with my brother it was ok. But I wasn't allowed to wear makeup, I wasn't allowed to date....when I was 17 I could go out in a group of friends that included boys, but it couldn't always be the same boys. (Not that any boys would have been caught dead hanging out with me.) I wasn't allowed to peg-leg my pants, wear stonewash jeans, or leather jackets, and nothing with fringe. (Fringe is for prostitutes) And no mall hair. She was exremely strict with my clothing and hair, and my social contacts, but then let me walk to school alone when I was 5? It makes no sense.

A started out with a kind of 4-square game at school. When he switched to special ed, he was introduced to it in recess. Their recess was structured there. Games like 4 square, hop scotch, etc were painted on the ground, including waiting spots, so you always knew whose turn it was, and they were supervised. So he learned at school and really liked it and got quite good at it. When we went to physical therapy, his PT started playing it with him at the end of each session as a sort of reward for hard work, and also to work on gross motorskills, balance, hand/eye coordination, etc. His PT said we really needed to get him into a sport to work on those things and also get him in better shape because he got winded really easily and he was starting to get pretty heavy. So we had to find him a sport that he could do that he would enjoy, but would also fit with his character. He has issues with social skills, so team sports are tough. He gets REALLY angry when he thinks someone is being unfair, like if they don't pass the ball to him, or they both go after the ball and collide, etc...he thinks it's always intentional. So team sports just....don't work. So the PT said we needed a sport that he plays by himself, but is also part of a group. We looked at golf, but they don't offer it for kids in our town and the one we found near us required a parent to join too. I couldn't drive him, so that meant my husband would have to join and he didn't want to. When the PT noticed how good A was at Kingen, he started giving A a racket instead of using his hands to see how he'd do, and he said tennis is close enough, he thought A would like it. And he does. There's no competitive sport right now with covid anyway, but I don't know if A will want to compete anyway. It's more just for fitness and coordination. But he's actually pretty good at it. His first lesson, he did almost as well as the other boys, who had all been playing for a couple of years. I don't think he'd ever be a really high level player, but he is decent at it and has fun with it. And that along with his chess gives him something to keep him busy, interact with other kids outside of school, learn about discipline, fair play, etc...it's been so good for him!

That's so bizarre...you can't do or wear all sorts of things because of this or that, but walking to school on your own as a 5 year old is ok? And your fear...the fear of a 5 year old child...being a source of anger? I know it's not meant to be funny, but I did get a little chuckle out of the fringe comment. I remember owning a a western style pair of fringe boots that had these turquoise and silver pieces going down the side. I loved them and thought it was this urban cowgirl sort of look. But yeah...none of that makes sense to me.

Golf was another sport that came to mind, but if it's not offered...not much you can do. Tennis is great. You play as an individual, but your results go to the greater good of a team. Not sure how plentiful they are where you live, but at least tennis is a sport where you may be able to find indoor courts so that you can play year round. He doesn't need to compete...as long as he's enjoying himself. Chess is another great mental sport as well.

Songbird76

That's so bizarre...you can't do or wear all sorts of things because of this or that, but walking to school on your own as a 5 year old is ok? And your fear...the fear of a 5 year old child...being a source of anger? I know it's not meant to be funny, but I did get a little chuckle out of the fringe comment. I remember owning a a western style pair of fringe boots that had these turquoise and silver pieces going down the side. I loved them and thought it was this urban cowgirl sort of look. But yeah...none of that makes sense to me.

Golf was another sport that came to mind, but if it's not offered...not much you can do. Tennis is great. You play as an individual, but your results go to the greater good of a team. Not sure how plentiful they are where you live, but at least tennis is a sport where you may be able to find indoor courts so that you can play year round. He doesn't need to compete...as long as he's enjoying himself. Chess is another great mental sport as well.
Were the boots you had white? When I was in 5th grade, the swing choir had these kind of cowboy outfits...a button down western shirt, and the boys wore pants and the girls wore white skirts, and they wore white boots with fringe. Oh I wanted those boots sooooo much, and my mother commented that the good thing about me not making swing choir that year was that at least she didn't have to get those prostitute boots for me. Joke was on her, because I made it in 6th grade and then the uniform was lycra pants (basically leggings) and a white button down tuxedo shirt and cumberbund. She thought those pants were too tight, and that shirts should not hang out, but be tucked in. She thought it was ridiculous and provocative, but that was the uniform.

That's my brother next to the blonde girl in the first picture, and me on the left in the 2nd picture.DSCF3021a.JPGScreenshot 2021-04-14 205748.jpg
The boots were like these, if I remember correctly, and I wanted them soooo badly, but mom thought they were hooker boots.

And she thought our outfits with the cumberbunds were provocative because the pants were tight.

HouCuseChickie

Were the boots you had white? When I was in 5th grade, the swing choir had these kind of cowboy outfits...a button down western shirt, and the boys wore pants and the girls wore white skirts, and they wore white boots with fringe. Oh I wanted those boots sooooo much, and my mother commented that the good thing about me not making swing choir that year was that at least she didn't have to get those prostitute boots for me. Joke was on her, because I made it in 6th grade and then the uniform was lycra pants (basically leggings) and a white button down tuxedo shirt and cumberbund. She thought those pants were too tight, and that shirts should not hang out, but be tucked in. She thought it was ridiculous and provocative, but that was the uniform.

That's my brother next to the blonde girl in the first picture, and me on the left in the 2nd picture.View attachment 548753View attachment 548754
The boots were like these, if I remember correctly, and I wanted them soooo badly, but mom thought they were hooker boots.

And she thought our outfits with the cumberbunds were provocative because the pants were tight.

The boots were more of an off-white and had a taller shaft, but definitely of that era. I think the bulk of the fringe on my went down the back...or maybe it was the side. I can't remember if I had them in 7th or 8th grade, but obviously it's been quite some time. I'm pretty sure they were Nine West. I loved the boots and I remember having a skirt to go with them. The skirt had a denim yoke, and then it was some kind of white fabric below that. Like this, but longer...

1618519340174.png

That still just floors me about fringe being for prostitutes. I have to agree...tight leggings should have been more of a concern over things with fringe. Although, I guess at least the tops for the girls were long and didn't show as much with the leggings.

I think your mom might have had a heart attack if she saw our swing/show choir outfits for high school. While our three main choir dress ensembles were very conservative, show choir was an entirely different story. Once we got official costumes, I seem to recall them involving a black leotard, tights, a short red sequined skirt, a red sequined bow tie, and black dance heels.

HouCuseChickie

I haven't worked out in two days. I my defense, I've had a ton of cake work in prep for my husband's bday. Tuesday night was officially baking night, but I only have one large square pan and the cake in it didn't cool fast enough for me to take it out of the pan and bake another. So, I was baking through part of my work day yesterday and then had hours of cake work after work and batting practice. I had to make filling, frosting, stack and crumb coat, fondant and supports and then all of the final decorating touches. Like most cakes, it's never exactly as I envisioned it and there are some finer details that just didn't go as planned (like my Dalek that look like Jabba the Hutt), but this is my husband's Dr. Who birthday cake. The Tardis mold I was using also only covered 2 sides, so it's not a faithful representation of the Tardis, but it's not awful either. I used the molds that I bought for the hot cocoa bombs to make planets...since the cake is supposed to represent the Dr. escaping from the destruction of his home planet and the threats that await him out in space....well, that and that he's a time lord who is timeless. Figure it went well for a milestone bday.

51116987407_b779b31f3a_z.jpg

51116986747_4ed6757fb4_z.jpg

51118345660_ebbce9d2e1_z.jpg

51116986757_fe32c9b31e_z.jpg

51117548946_9f8f219da0_z.jpg

51117547536_c587109dd5_z.jpg

In car news, I started working with the closer yesterday. If all goes well, I might be car shopping later on next week. I'm just so ready to move on from this VW. I guess it could be much worse. I know so many people who have had vehicle issues who have had to fight with the maker...some of which have been unsuccessful. So, I should be thankful that while this takes a while, nobody is fighting me or questioning that this is a lemon. I should also be thankful that I've had a complimentary loaner this whole time.

Songbird76

The boots were more of an off-white and had a taller shaft, but definitely of that era. I think the bulk of the fringe on my went down the back...or maybe it was the side. I can't remember if I had them in 7th or 8th grade, but obviously it's been quite some time. I'm pretty sure they were Nine West. I loved the boots and I remember having a skirt to go with them. The skirt had a denim yoke, and then it was some kind of white fabric below that. Like this, but longer...

View attachment 549179

That still just floors me about fringe being for prostitutes. I have to agree...tight leggings should have been more of a concern over things with fringe. Although, I guess at least the tops for the girls were long and didn't show as much with the leggings.

I think your mom might have had a heart attack if she saw our swing/show choir outfits for high school. While our three main choir dress ensembles were very conservative, show choir was an entirely different story. Once we got official costumes, I seem to recall them involving a black leotard, tights, a short red sequined skirt, a red sequined bow tie, and black dance heels.
Oh I would have loved that skirt, but I wouldn't have been allowed to wear it. My mom would have thought it looked ridiculous. That's why I wasn't allowed to peg-leg my jeans. She thought it looked ugly. Same with the stonewash jeans....she didn't like the marbly white on them. And the mall hair. But leather and fringe were for prostitues. She wasn't happy when I bought a suede-look jacket in college, but she couldn't do much about it. The style when I was in about 5th grade was these short, full skirts with biker shorts underneath, and they were attached....it wasn't a skirt and short leggings combo. It was sewn together and I SO wanted one of those....I loved them. But my mom thought it looked stupid, so I couldn't get one. I also remember a lace dress that was really popular around Easter one year. THey had it in several pastel colors and all the "cool" girls had them, but mom didn't like it.

It was a lot like this, but then in pastel colors like lavender, pink, white, etc...

Basically anything my mom didn't like, I wasn't allowed to wear, anything form fitting, leather, or with fringe I wasn't allowed to wear, etc....and because my mom grew up in the 50s, her style was REALLY different from mine. My mom wore the same pleated, polyester pants in different colors every day with a button down blouse. I didn't like button-down blouses, I HATED floral prints....it felt like wearing curtains, or like I was wearing a bright marquee saying "Look at me!!!". Now I'm ok with some floral prints, but I'm kind of picky. But shopping was always difficult, because I wasn't allowed to buy anything she didn't like, even if I was using my own money. I had to buy my own clothes from the time I was 13, but mom had veto power. Mostly in high school, my wardrobe was baggy grey, hunter green, or blue sweatshirts and black pants. I really tried to be invisible.

Songbird76

I haven't worked out in two days. I my defense, I've had a ton of cake work in prep for my husband's bday. Tuesday night was officially baking night, but I only have one large square pan and the cake in it didn't cool fast enough for me to take it out of the pan and bake another. So, I was baking through part of my work day yesterday and then had hours of cake work after work and batting practice. I had to make filling, frosting, stack and crumb coat, fondant and supports and then all of the final decorating touches. Like most cakes, it's never exactly as I envisioned it and there are some finer details that just didn't go as planned (like my Dalek that look like Jabba the Hutt), but this is my husband's Dr. Who birthday cake. The Tardis mold I was using also only covered 2 sides, so it's not a faithful representation of the Tardis, but it's not awful either. I used the molds that I bought for the hot cocoa bombs to make planets...since the cake is supposed to represent the Dr. escaping from the destruction of his home planet and the threats that await him out in space....well, that and that he's a time lord who is timeless. Figure it went well for a milestone bday.

51116987407_b779b31f3a_z.jpg

51116986747_4ed6757fb4_z.jpg

51118345660_ebbce9d2e1_z.jpg

51116986757_fe32c9b31e_z.jpg

51117548946_9f8f219da0_z.jpg

51117547536_c587109dd5_z.jpg

In car news, I started working with the closer yesterday. If all goes well, I might be car shopping later on next week. I'm just so ready to move on from this VW. I guess it could be much worse. I know so many people who have had vehicle issues who have had to fight with the maker...some of which have been unsuccessful. So, I should be thankful that while this takes a while, nobody is fighting me or questioning that this is a lemon. I should also be thankful that I've had a complimentary loaner this whole time.
I love the cake! I think it looks great. I've only seen snippets of Dr. Who, but my husband watched it, and my daughter watched for a while.

Hopefully the car business will be taken care of soon!

I found a new driving instructor today. I did a couple of test lessons with different schools, and I liked the guy this morning a lot. He's very mellow, and very kind, and gave me some helpful tips and didn't make me feel stupid for asking questions. My previous instructor had a kind of chip on his shoulder and acted like I should already know how to drive differently here. Like....you know how they do speed traps in the US, so you have to get your speed down before you reach a sign with the new speed limit on it. In my 2nd ever lesson, we were on a road that was 80 km/h, and were coming up to a 60km/h, so I started slowing down and the instructor says "Why are you braking?" And I said "Because the speed limit goes down there." And he said "Not until there!" And I said "Well, don't I need to be at that speed when I reach the sign?" and he says "Why??" And I said in America, we do. They set up speed traps. My instructor said "But where are we? Are we in America or are we in the Netherlands??" Like I should have known it was different here. How was I supposed to know that they don't do speed traps here? And that became a standard thing. Any time I would do something I would have done in the US, and he'd ask "Why did you do that??" And I'd say "Oh....is it not like that here? In the States, that's what we're supposed to do." and he'd say "But we're not IN the States. We're in the Netherlands!" And he'd just make me feel stupid for not knowing that they didn't do that here. Well if I knew all those things, I wouldn't need a driving instructor! I'm paying you to TEACH me these things, not judge me for being a foreigner!

The guy this morning wasn't like that at ALL, and he seemed genuinely interested in the differences. I explained that the driving style was different and I needed help changing the habits, and the speed traps came up and he just said "Really? Oh wow! No, they don't do that here." but he didn't make me feel like I was a bad driver just because I had learned a different way. And one of the things that my previous instructor wouldn't let me do, this guy told me I AM supposed to do that. I wasn't allowed to keep my foot on the break at a stoplight. I was only supposed to use the clutch, and it took me forever, and I still have problems remembering to take my foot off the break. But the guy today said I actually AM supposed to use the break, so that people behind me can see that I'm stopped. It was so different and so relaxed. For once I didn't come out of my lesson with jelly legs, and I don't think I will get an upset stomach every time I have a lesson anymore, either.

Sans Souci

I know! I had only ever seen the plain yellow ones, and then someone else posted a picture a couple of weeks ago of a 2 color one, and I didn't know they existed. Then I was out on my walk and I saw these and I HAD to take a picture because they were so striking!

That was me! :p The people who lived here before us planted a bunch of daffodils, tulips and hyacinths. I have some plain yellow daffodils and some miniature ones that are too cute. But, they are mostly past their prime now. Boo. 👎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom