working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Good morning. 🌞

I did a kettlebell workout this AM. I'm starting to dread these workouts, but I am in the final month of this three month program. Part of me wants to move onto something new and part of me wants to stay the course. It's just starting to feel repetitive now. I'll take it day by day. I feel like going back to yoga, but I'll see how I feel. :)

When we came back from Chicago, my son had a college acceptance letter with a scholarship waiting for him. I was so relieved because this was the only school he wanted to attend and had applied for. It's about 45 minutes from our house and he wants to commute. We'd like him to live closer to the school. Some of the driving to get there is a bit hairy at the best of times, so I can't imagine what it would be like in a rush hour situation. He isn't the most confident driver and I'd feel better if he didn't make that drive on a regular basis. We visited schools this summer and personally, I think the school we visited in Philly was a better match for what he wants to do, but he told me he hates city living. He has Asperger's and the school he is going to is small and is in a rural area of South Jersey. I think this feels more approachable and manageable for him.

That's awesome about his acceptance and scholarship! I can see what he means about Philly. I looked at a few colleges in Philly (a million years ago :hilarious:) and I just wasn't a fan of the urban setting. Obviously, ever school is different, but there was something sort of overwhelming about being in the city. I still went to a school that is technically considered urban, but the campus is set on a hilltop overlooking the city and feels more like a suburb. Hopefully, he'll decide to move closer to school. I have a friend was a commuter at his school, but he also had a lot of public transportation options. I'm not sure how it plays in with the Asperger's, but I think it enhances the experience to live on or right near campus.

HouCuseChickie

I woke up this morning for a gym workout. I put in 15.70 miles on the bike, did a lot of dynamic leg work based on barre/ballet work, and did some abs. I then went out for a 30-45 minute run. I'm slower than I'd like to be, but I'm still faster in daylight than I am in the dark. I was also doing some endurance work and hills today, so that impacts time as well. Still, it all felt really good and last week's 5k showed me that things seem to wake up now in race mode. I was hoping I got out early enough to cross paths with the kids on their way to school...since I was dressed in a crazy colorful outfit and they were embarrassed to know me (see pics below), but they got to school before I ever had a chance. Hey...I like bright colors and I wanted to test out my cheap hoodie to see how it felt since I think I'm going to use it as a potential layer for my 5k costume. At least one of my favorite little bridges has reopened since the Imelda flooding, so that was a nice little treat during the run.

49172937738_a40fab0bb5_z.jpg

49173420101_232456d5d2_z.jpg

49172937693_54068099dd_z.jpg

49172937673_606586db6b_z.jpg

After I got home, I had some leftover red lentil and quinoa pasta with sunflower seed pesto. I'm trying so hard to get away from all of this bad holiday eating. The pies are gone and we're weeks away from cookies, so maybe that will help. Still, I was in the market yesterday and there was that temptation to buy allergy friendly chocolate, sprinkles and ingredients to make GF sandwich cookies filled with raspberry jam and dipped in the chocolate and sprinkles. I resisted! But I still had some dates, homemade cranberry sauce and almond milk whipped cream. Hey...it's still better!

Sans Souci

I woke up this morning for a gym workout. I put in 15.70 miles on the bike, did a lot of dynamic leg work based on barre/ballet work, and did some abs. I then went out for a 30-45 minute run. I'm slower than I'd like to be, but I'm still faster in daylight than I am in the dark. I was also doing some endurance work and hills today, so that impacts time as well. Still, it all felt really good and last week's 5k showed me that things seem to wake up now in race mode. I was hoping I got out early enough to cross paths with the kids on their way to school...since I was dressed in a crazy colorful outfit and they were embarrassed to know me (see pics below), but they got to school before I ever had a chance. Hey...I like bright colors and I wanted to test out my cheap hoodie to see how it felt since I think I'm going to use it as a potential layer for my 5k costume. At least one of my favorite little bridges has reopened since the Imelda flooding, so that was a nice little treat during the run.

49172937738_a40fab0bb5_z.jpg

49173420101_232456d5d2_z.jpg

49172937693_54068099dd_z.jpg

49172937673_606586db6b_z.jpg

After I got home, I had some leftover red lentil and quinoa pasta with sunflower seed pesto. I'm trying so hard to get away from all of this bad holiday eating. The pies are gone and we're weeks away from cookies, so maybe that will help. Still, I was in the market yesterday and there was that temptation to buy allergy friendly chocolate, sprinkles and ingredients to make GF sandwich cookies filled with raspberry jam and dipped in the chocolate and sprinkles. I resisted! But I still had some dates, homemade cranberry sauce and almond milk whipped cream. Hey...it's still better!

You look cute! I love all the colors together. It's never a bad idea to stand out if you're doing any street running.

Your eating sounds like mine when daylight gets shorter and shorter. I crave carb-y things and I end up baking 2-3 loaves of bread a week. It's awful, but it passes.

Sans Souci

That's awesome about his acceptance and scholarship! I can see what he means about Philly. I looked at a few colleges in Philly (a million years ago :hilarious:) and I just wasn't a fan of the urban setting. Obviously, ever school is different, but there was something sort of overwhelming about being in the city. I still went to a school that is technically considered urban, but the campus is set on a hilltop overlooking the city and feels more like a suburb. Hopefully, he'll decide to move closer to school. I have a friend was a commuter at his school, but he also had a lot of public transportation options. I'm not sure how it plays in with the Asperger's, but I think it enhances the experience to live on or right near campus.

Yeah, he told me he always wants to live in the suburbs. He's so different from me. I would love to live in a city again and be able to walk everywhere. When lived in Chicago until it was time for him to go to school, so we moved to the suburbs. The schools are so much better in the suburbs.

We found out he has to live on campus his first two years or live at home. We're pushing for him to leave. We're 45 minutes away, he can come home every weekend (if he wanted) or even just have dinner with us on Sundays. I think living on campus will be good for him.

HouCuseChickie

You look cute! I love all the colors together. It's never a bad idea to stand out if you're doing any street running.

Your eating sounds like mine when daylight gets shorter and shorter. I crave carb-y things and I end up baking 2-3 loaves of bread a week. It's awful, but it passes.

Not a lot of street time, but nobody is missing me in this combo! The company that makes my favorite run pants/shorts had an amazing Black Friday sale and the brightly colored stuff was deeply discounted. The shorts were already marked down to nearly 70% off going into BF and then over the weekend, I saw them offering an additional 25% off.

That could be part of it. I just hit days where I just want to eat and eat. I also don't do well with good stuff sitting around.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, he told me he always wants to live in the suburbs. He's so different from me. I would love to live in a city again and be able to walk everywhere. When lived in Chicago until it was time for him to go to school, so we moved to the suburbs. The schools are so much better in the suburbs.

We found out he has to live on campus his first two years or live at home. We're pushing for him to leave. We're 45 minutes away, he can come home every weekend (if he wanted) or even just have dinner with us on Sundays. I think living on campus will be good for him.

I can relate to him on this. I grew up outside of NYC and as much as I loved being in the city, I never wanted to live there. I visited some friends who lived in Manhattan at some point after college graduation and reaffirmed my feelings on this. I think it's why I liked the Houston area. You can live in the middle of Houston and much of it looks & feels like suburbia. I have two cousins, both around my age, that grew up in Brooklyn and I always had such a hard time wrapping my head around their city life. The one closer to my age is late 40s and just got her driver's license! I'm not sure how school worked, but they both attended LaGuardia HS (school from Fame), both went to Bryn Mawr for undergrad and I know the younger one went to Penn Law afterwards. So, I guess that's probably a matter of getting your kids into a better city school vs. going to the one for which you're zoned. I've heard similar things go on here. I think it's why one of my coworkers pays an obscene amount for her kids to go to private school.

That's how it was for me. I've shared that with people here and they have never heard of such a thing, but it was dorm life for my first two years. It know it can increase room and board costs (vs. living in an apartment or commuting), but it was a great way to meet people. I hear so many stories of kids going off to school and feeling isolated because they're going off to eat by themselves at the end of the day and are often just passing ships with their roommate(s). I also don't know if I was ready for the responsibility of an apartment at 18.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Outside of the ostracism, the most painful thing for me has been knowing she's not reading what I have written at Facebook Messenger. It's like I no longer exist to her. I feel like a ghost. It's distressing and I would have liked acknowledgment if this friendship is over.
I'm sorry it ended that way but one less thing in your life that needed to be cleaned out for the Solstice. Look at it as a new chapter in your life with less clutter.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

Sans Souci

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I then went out for a 30-45 minute run. I'm slower than I'd like to be, but I'm still faster in daylight than I am in the dark.

Just wondering why your time is better when it's light out, versus night time? Maybe you're just more "awake" in the daytime, and like many of us, start to feel a bit fatigued toward day's end.

But I still had some dates, homemade cranberry sauce and almond milk whipped cream.

Not that I'm a cook or anything, but don't you need cream to make whipped cream? (Also, never used or had almond milk, so maybe it's thick enough?)

Sans Souci

I'm sorry it ended that way but one less thing in your life that needed to be cleaned out for the Solstice. Look at it as a new chapter in your life with less clutter.

Yeah. I'm really gutted about it and I am trying not to be. This time of year is always a little difficult for me with seasonal depression, so I think this is why this stings a little more. I am sorry to keep going on about it.

Sans Souci

Good morning. 🌞

I bailed on my 3 month program. LOL. I did a 15 minute glider workout, just to give my joints a break from all of the high impact stuff I'd been doing. It was a nice change of pace. It's going to be 52 today, so I am going to get out for a walk later on.

I am going to make some cookie dough to freeze this weekend. This way, when it's closer to Christmas, it's one less thing I have to make. I just pop the frozen cookies into the oven et voila, freshly baked cookies. :hungry::inlove:

Sans Souci

That's how it was for me. I've shared that with people here and they have never heard of such a thing, but it was dorm life for my first two years. It know it can increase room and board costs (vs. living in an apartment or commuting), but it was a great way to meet people. I hear so many stories of kids going off to school and feeling isolated because they're going off to eat by themselves at the end of the day and are often just passing ships with their roommate(s). I also don't know if I was ready for the responsibility of an apartment at 18.

My son is kind of odd and I attribute this to his Asperger's. He attracts a lot of bullies. He's been bullied at every school he's attended. He never told us about the bullying, it was always a third party who would notify a teacher, who would then notify us. When we lived in London, he went to an IB school and it turned out these two Russian kids were stealing his lunch money and tried to get him to drink from a can of Fanta they peed into. I am hoping people are past this nonsense in college. I really want for him to be on campus and I think part of the reason he doesn't want to live on campus is the fear of being bullied. I think a compromise might be a single room in a residence hall.

HouCuseChickie

Just wondering why your time is better when it's light out, versus night time? Maybe you're just more "awake" in the daytime, and like many of us, start to feel a bit fatigued toward day's end.

Not that I'm a cook or anything, but don't you need cream to make whipped cream? (Also, never used or had almond milk, so maybe it's thick enough?)

I had a theory with it and I think it's spot on. Humans are hardwired to be more cautious/fearful in the dark. It's essentially an innate self preservation mechanism rooted in our inability to see as much in the darkness, so our responses change and slow to better assess our surroundings and be more prepared for any threats or problems. So, no matter how much I feel like I'm pushing, my brain is pushing back because it's unable to assess the situation in the dark.

Reddi-wip makes a couple of non-dairy options...

1575641667890.png1575641682069.png

My market only stocks the almond, but I'm hoping to track down the coconut, because I've found coconut to be closer to real dairy. I use it to make vegan sweetened condensed milk, and I recently discovered that coconut milk coffee creamer is the secret to creamy cocktails. No, it's not as heavy as dairy cream, but it doesn't curdle, so I can pair it with passion fruit, guava juice and rum and have a perfect cocktail with a hint of coconut.

HouCuseChickie

My son is kind of odd and I attribute this to his Asperger's. He attracts a lot of bullies. He's been bullied at every school he's attended. He never told us about the bullying, it was always a third party who would notify a teacher, who would then notify us. When we lived in London, he went to an IB school and it turned out these two Russian kids were stealing his lunch money and tried to get him to drink from a can of Fanta they peed into. I am hoping people are past this nonsense in college. I really want for him to be on campus and I think part of the reason he doesn't want to live on campus is the fear of being bullied. I think a compromise might be a single room in a residence hall.

That's awful about the repeated bullying...and then to not know until it had come to a head like this. Hopefully, college will bring a bully-free environment. I think that's part of why I loved college. All of the bullying and silly petty junk seemed to disappear. Hoping he finds the same when he goes to college.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah. I'm really gutted about it and I am trying not to be. This time of year is always a little difficult for me with seasonal depression, so I think this is why this stings a little more. I am sorry to keep going on about it.
Good morning. 🌞

I bailed on my 3 month program. LOL. I did a 15 minute glider workout, just to give my joints a break from all of the high impact stuff I'd been doing. It was a nice change of pace. It's going to be 52 today, so I am going to get out for a walk later on.

I am going to make some cookie dough to freeze this weekend. This way, when it's closer to Christmas, it's one less thing I have to make. I just pop the frozen cookies into the oven et voila, freshly baked cookies. :hungry::inlove:
Vent away because mental health is as important as physical health and we're here for you!
Good for you for knowing your body and when to take a break so you don't get injured!

Sans Souci

I had a theory with it and I think it's spot on. Humans are hardwired to be more cautious/fearful in the dark. It's essentially an innate self preservation mechanism rooted in our inability to see as much in the darkness, so our responses change and slow to better assess our surroundings and be more prepared for any threats or problems. So, no matter how much I feel like I'm pushing, my brain is pushing back because it's unable to assess the situation in the dark.

Reddi-wip makes a couple of non-dairy options...

View attachment 430811View attachment 430812

My market only stocks the almond, but I'm hoping to track down the coconut, because I've found coconut to be closer to real dairy. I use it to make vegan sweetened condensed milk, and I recently discovered that coconut milk coffee creamer is the secret to creamy cocktails. No, it's not as heavy as dairy cream, but it doesn't curdle, so I can pair it with passion fruit, guava juice and rum and have a perfect cocktail with a hint of coconut.

I have an unhealthy addiction to So Delicious French vanilla coconut creamer. I won't use anything else in my coffee anymore. Apparently other people feel the same way, oftentimes when I go to buy more, it's out. I never thought of making a cocktail with it, though. That sounds like a delicious drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom