working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Last night was supposed to be my regular Tuesday maintenance run and this morning was supposed to be my standard morning workout, but stress and schedule got in the way. My tension headache was so bad yesterday that it was making my ears pop and the pain was making me sick to my stomach. I brought all of my run gear with me to work in anticipation of getting dressed at work so I could get my younger one for softball, drop her off and run...but my body just said no. Plus, they needed me to run the exercise drill station they throw in at batting practice. I decided to join in with the kids since I wasn't getting my running and they needed to see where they were slacking. The only thing I completely ditched doing with them were the push ups, since my left shoulder has some pain. I only did one round of star jumpers, 1 round of lunges, and 4 rounds of squats because I knew I wouldn't be moving today if I pushed it. Beyond that, I did all 6 rounds of reach through sit ups, flutter kicks, and planks. Each component was done for 45 seconds in each round, except for the plank...which was a 1 minute spot.

This morning, I was going to wake up super early to run and get in my morning workout, but I couldn't find my brand new hand torch. It's gotta be around here somewhere, but between the stress pains and Voodoo (I'll get to that), I'm sure I put it in a good place and won't find it for months. I at least found another flashlight ... not as easy to hold, but can work for the time being. I went to bed super early (for me), but just couldn't drag myself out of bed. I also realized that I forgot to make lunches. So, I got up around 6:30, made lunches, and then went for a 30-45 min run. The run was actually very good. My legs were sore from the night before, but it helped shake them out a bit. My pace was also great (for me) because my feet felt good and the temps were low. I wanted to even it out and get in 3 miles, but I'd been running for about 33 minutes and I really needed to log into work. So, I stopped. I still plan to get in a gym workout today, but I plan to go easy on some of it after the unexpected workout last night. I definitely need to do that now and then because it's a good sore and I know it'll help my running.

So...Voodoo...aka EVIL!

I forgot to turn on the interior camera yesterday, so I have no idea how long she was out. I turned it on right as my younger one got home because she wasn't answering her phone and I needed her to call me. I went to speak to her through the camera and I could see Voodoo running around. I showed my daughter at our address on her GPS, so I thought she'd just let her out...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Voo let herself out. Using brute strength, she pried apart the metal in various parts, popped one of the carabiners, and let herself out. Not that Cookie is an Angel (she just shredded a pillow she had been using in her crate for weeks), but Voodoo started to rip up the carpet (at least in a spot we can hide), destroyed a new softball belt, shredded all of the tissues in a trash can, took all of my older one's dirty underwear out of the hamper and tossed them around the bedroom and left one of my younger one's new narwhal socks in the middle of the living room. We put her crate back together as best we could, but now I'm using the old locks I have around from a storage unit and just using the remaining carabiners to reinforce the edges. I swear...that dog!

HouCuseChickie

Sans Souci

Last night was supposed to be my regular Tuesday maintenance run and this morning was supposed to be my standard morning workout, but stress and schedule got in the way. My tension headache was so bad yesterday that it was making my ears pop and the pain was making me sick to my stomach. I brought all of my run gear with me to work in anticipation of getting dressed at work so I could get my younger one for softball, drop her off and run...but my body just said no. Plus, they needed me to run the exercise drill station they throw in at batting practice. I decided to join in with the kids since I wasn't getting my running and they needed to see where they were slacking. The only thing I completely ditched doing with them were the push ups, since my left shoulder has some pain. I only did one round of star jumpers, 1 round of lunges, and 4 rounds of squats because I knew I wouldn't be moving today if I pushed it. Beyond that, I did all 6 rounds of reach through sit ups, flutter kicks, and planks. Each component was done for 45 seconds in each round, except for the plank...which was a 1 minute spot.

This morning, I was going to wake up super early to run and get in my morning workout, but I couldn't find my brand new hand torch. It's gotta be around here somewhere, but between the stress pains and Voodoo (I'll get to that), I'm sure I put it in a good place and won't find it for months. I at least found another flashlight ... not as easy to hold, but can work for the time being. I went to bed super early (for me), but just couldn't drag myself out of bed. I also realized that I forgot to make lunches. So, I got up around 6:30, made lunches, and then went for a 30-45 min run. The run was actually very good. My legs were sore from the night before, but it helped shake them out a bit. My pace was also great (for me) because my feet felt good and the temps were low. I wanted to even it out and get in 3 miles, but I'd been running for about 33 minutes and I really needed to log into work. So, I stopped. I still plan to get in a gym workout today, but I plan to go easy on some of it after the unexpected workout last night. I definitely need to do that now and then because it's a good sore and I know it'll help my running.

So...Voodoo...aka EVIL!

I forgot to turn on the interior camera yesterday, so I have no idea how long she was out. I turned it on right as my younger one got home because she wasn't answering her phone and I needed her to call me. I went to speak to her through the camera and I could see Voodoo running around. I showed my daughter at our address on her GPS, so I thought she'd just let her out...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Voo let herself out. Using brute strength, she pried apart the metal in various parts, popped one of the carabiners, and let herself out. Not that Cookie is an Angel (she just shredded a pillow she had been using in her crate for weeks), but Voodoo started to rip up the carpet (at least in a spot we can hide), destroyed a new softball belt, shredded all of the tissues in a trash can, took all of my older one's dirty underwear out of the hamper and tossed them around the bedroom and left one of my younger one's new narwhal socks in the middle of the living room. We put her crate back together as best we could, but now I'm using the old locks I have around from a storage unit and just using the remaining carabiners to reinforce the edges. I swear...that dog!

Wow. You should call her Voodini! What a little snot!

I wonder if she needs to mentally challenged because she's bored? Maybe your girls could get involved with agility training or something? It seems like she really needs to mental stimulation and a little physical exhaustion.

HouCuseChickie

Wow. You should call her Voodini! What a little snot!

I wonder if she needs to mentally challenged because she's bored? Maybe your girls could get involved with agility training or something? It seems like she really needs to mental stimulation and a little physical exhaustion.

That was her very first nickname. We just never expected her to live up to it. Some may be boredom, but I think there's some separation anxiety in the mix. Some may also be her personality. Cookie is the more active of the two and is definitely the better one with problem solving... not to mention being more driven by human contact/praise. Don't get me wrong, Voodoo can be affectionate, but I know some breeds are more aloof than others and it's possible something in her mix makes her less motivated by things involving her humans. I just use my guilt voice on Cookie and she behaves like the dogs in all of those guilty dog videos. I do the same to Voodoo and she just looks at me or licks something unmentionable on her body. She will run and cower if I yell in response, but that's fear and a totally different trigger. So, I just don't know. I bought them some new smart toys over the weekend and she likes hers (Cookie couldn't care less), but it's just not enough. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I'm wondering if leaving the tv on for her might help.

Sans Souci

Good morning ☀

I did a lower body workout this AM. I struggled at the end, because my legs were toast. 🔥

I need to trim my Japanese maple, so I am going to attempt that today even though I've never trimmed anything in my yard.

Dinner tonight is roasted tofu, any remaining veggies hanging out in the veggie drawer and homemade stir fry sauce served over brown rice. 👍

HouCuseChickie

Oh, Voodoo. :hilarious: Sometimes, I think dogs have their own way of expressing contempt.

The TV is worth a shot. She's still a puppy, but I know how frustrated you must feel with her.

She's frustrating, but they both are at times. Every dog has their challenges. Case in point, Voodoo is a model canine citizen in all of the areas where Cookie is a nightmare. I see Voodoo outgrowing her present issues...Cookie, not so much.

HouCuseChickie

I did end up putting in a workout last night, but since I felt like my unexpected conditioning with the team on Tuesday covered the strength portion for the day, I only did bike and abs...which also are more sore than I initially realized. I also woke up just after 5am and did that part all over again...also including arms. And then went out for a 3 mile run. I was in the shoes again that I am planning on using for the 10k...and my toes got irritated again. It wasn't as bad as last time and they felt perfect when I got onto a dirt trail, but they've got me worried...to the point that I might buy another pair of shoes. It's too bad because the manufacturer's return policy isn't as good as the run shop I normally use.

I tested these shoes during my fitting and liked them a lot...just not as much as the other two I've been running in. I'm not really too bothered about the $ since these barely cost a thing. The shoes I really wanted for the 10K couldn't be tracked down in the warehouse, so Brooks gave me 25% off my next order. I'd already budgeted paying full price for two new pairs of race shoes for Disney, so when factoring in that budget with the 25% discount, this third pair of shoes only cost me about $12.50. I know exactly what shoes to buy if I decide these don't work out, but that's just some extra $ out of the budget. I guess if I make this decision soon, I can have my mom try and sell the $12.50 shoes on ebay. They're Brooks Ghosts and they only have about 8 miles on them, so they're practically new. We'll see.

Beyond that, there's light at the end of the awful work stress tunnel, but still in a spot where new fires are popping up every day. I hit a wall yesterday and I almost reacted in the worst possible way. Thankfully, I was able to restrain myself and just held by tongue and cried. I felt bad because the friend traveling with me in January was reaching out right at this time to vent over a family catastrophe she's dealing with. I tried to be a good listener and expressed how awful it all sounded, but apologized and told her I just couldn't be there at the moment because I was having my own breakdown. It'll get better...at some point...it has to!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Beyond that, there's light at the end of the awful work stress tunnel, but still in a spot where new fires are popping up every day. I hit a wall yesterday and I almost reacted in the worst possible way. Thankfully, I was able to restrain myself and just held by tongue and cried. I felt bad because the friend traveling with me in January was reaching out right at this time to vent over a family catastrophe she's dealing with. I tried to be a good listener and expressed how awful it all sounded, but apologized and told her I just couldn't be there at the moment because I was having my own breakdown. It'll get better...at some point...it has to!

Yup, work will do that to you sometimes. We've all been there at one point or another. I hope things settle down for you soon.

Sans Souci

I'm still trying to do the "No." or "I don't have the emotional bandwidth right now." without guilt. It's so hard! I'm usually saying no because I can't, not because I don't want to help out. I hope things stabilize for you soon, too.

Songbird76

It is something I wanted to do in my early 20s and my father asked me if I'd like to work for AA, too. I told him I wanted to be a flight attendant and he said "Absolutely not--you will be living on food stamps." He also told me he didn't think I had what it takes to be a flight attendant. :rolleyes: So, he sent me an application for ramp agent. Those are the people who are on the ground, chucking luggage, tugging the plane out of the gate, etc. I didn't apply, because it didn't appeal to me and it paid even less than FAs, too. I was also offended that this was what my father thought I could do, like I wasn't sophisticated enough to be a FA. I would have preferred gate agent or customer service, if he was going to send me an app.

I like the idea of not going to the same office everyday with the same people. I like that you have a rotating crew of people you work with, so you're always meeting new co-workers with every trip and helping new passengers with every flight. I guess I'm really drawn the dynamic and unpredictable work environment. I also have fond memories that are attached to aviation. My parents were divorced and my father loved aircraft. So sometimes on Saturdays, he'd take me to O'Hare and we'd watch the jets landing and taking off. He'd would tell me which was which. As a child, they all looked the same to me. LOL From time to time, we'd wait for my grandfather's flight to come in and we'd wait for the passengers to get off. Then I'd get to go into the cockpit and be amazed at all of the switches, etc. This was back when planes still required flight engineers and there was just a wall of switches and gauges. It blew my mind. This was obviously pre-9/11 :). Then, we'd all go back to my grandparents' house. I also feel like this is another way to leverage my social work skills in a novel way for me. People are anxious, angry and agitated and I feel like one of the things I am good at is putting myself in a situation where I felt similarly and helping them from that place--if that makes sense.

I did look into being a travel agent about 9-10 years ago. I feel like I am someone who works best in face to face situations when helping others and everything is online nowadays.
That's so strange that your dad reacted like that. I mean, I can understand from the standpoint that he wanted you to have a career that paid more than a FA would, but then why send you an application for something that's not what you want and pays even less? That makes no sense! Was your dad a bit misogynistic? I ask because my dad took me to visit his lawyer when I was 14 so his lawyer could tell me I didn't belong in college, as a female. That it would be a waste of money for me because I'd never make it through, I'd drop out to get married, or if by some miracle I DID graduate, my degree would be worthless because women should only work in nursing, secreterial work, or teaching, and only if they weren't married. And I was a straight A student involved in a lot of activities. I couldn't believe that my dad felt that way about me....that I wasn't smart enough or good enough to do most jobs, and that I shouldn't even try because I couldn't do it. But he was just incredibly misogynistic and was always shocked when there was a woman doctor or lawyer. He didn't see women as being very capable, so when he came across a woman who did a good job of something, he was surprised. He'd sing their praises, but was convinced it was extremely rare to find such a woman. :rolleyes:

Sans Souci

Good morning-

Today was a quick 10 minute abs workout. I dread it when it shows up as my scheduled workout for the day, because it's 10 minutes of my absolute least favorite ab exercises, but I tell myself it's only 10 minutes. It's all "horizontal" exercises, too, so it's not the biggest calorie burner.

I never trimmed my Japanese maple, because it is adjacent to a hummingbird feeder that wasps have taken over. :mad: I got buzzed every time I got close to my tree, so I noped it out of there. I meant to take the feeder down after dark, but I forgot.

My son's 18th birthday is Sunday, but he's having his friends over tomorrow for food and gaming. So, I am baking his cake today and frosting it tomorrow. He's pretty easy as cakes go. He doesn't eat anything that is artificially colored, so this is a straight up chocolate spice cake.

HouCuseChickie

Good morning-

Today was a quick 10 minute abs workout. I dread it when it shows up as my scheduled workout for the day, because it's 10 minutes of my absolute least favorite ab exercises, but I tell myself it's only 10 minutes. It's all "horizontal" exercises, too, so it's not the biggest calorie burner.

I never trimmed my Japanese maple, because it is adjacent to a hummingbird feeder that wasps have taken over. :mad: I got buzzed every time I got close to my tree, so I noped it out of there. I meant to take the feeder down after dark, but I forgot.

My son's 18th birthday is Sunday, but he's having his friends over tomorrow for food and gaming. So, I am baking his cake today and frosting it tomorrow. He's pretty easy as cakes go. He doesn't eat anything that is artificially colored, so this is a straight up chocolate spice cake.

I'm sure those ab exercises are good muscle builders though, so it should pay calorie burn dividends in the long run. I don't blame you with the wasps. Anything that can sting and keep stinging me is a definite no. Happy birthday to your son! Chocolate spice sounds delicious!

HouCuseChickie

I'm still trying to do the "No." or "I don't have the emotional bandwidth right now." without guilt. It's so hard! I'm usually saying no because I can't, not because I don't want to help out. I hope things stabilize for you soon, too.

I reached out to her yesterday afternoon to apologize again. What's funny is that we wound up discussing entirely different topics vs. what was stressing her out in her world. The stuff she vented about was a big deal though, so I'm guessing it was more therapeutic on day 2 to discuss other things to add some normalcy.

HouCuseChickie

When it rains, it pours...

Well, it literally is pouring outside right now, but there were issues well before the rain started. Wow...I sound depressing! Seriously though...it would be nice if work were the only issue. I had major drama with the older kiddo yesterday after school, Cookie got out...which was the part of the kid drama, Disney messed up my magic band order and I had to spend a while on the phone with them trying (for a second time) for them to fix my address in all parts of their systems, and to cap off a pretty cruddy work and parent day...I stepped in a big mound of dog poop at softball. I heard a mom friend in the bleachers as one of her kids to check their shoes because she could smell something and I had to interrupt and tell her it was me. I guess I should count my blessings (aside from the standard good/important stuff)...the birds flying overhead last night didn't bomb me and Voodoo didn't escape her crate last night even though the kids didn't lock it.

I got in a decent workout this morning and the ab, leg and glute pain had subsided enough for me to do some things I couldn't the last couple of days...so, that was good. However, the stupid gate is not working again, so we're going to have to get the electrician back out here and my younger one informed me as we were heading out the door that she had to walk her bike home yesterday because she busted her tire. Somewhere, in this busy weekend, I'm going to have to get it into the bike shop for repair. And I just know they are going to try and sell me a new bike. I'm not saying she won't need a new bike at some point. The bike is 2 years old and when she does ride it, she's pretty tough on it. That being said, minus a few random bike rides here or there, she puts about 3.8 miles on it each week.

Oh...and after thinking about the price of a new pair of shoes that I know my feet like vs. the cost of an injury from running in the wrong shoes or trying to use the same shoes on back to back days, I decided it was just better to invest in another pair. My mom can at least try and sell the others for me on ebay. They're a popular model and they are practically new.

Sans Souci

That's so strange that your dad reacted like that. I mean, I can understand from the standpoint that he wanted you to have a career that paid more than a FA would, but then why send you an application for something that's not what you want and pays even less? That makes no sense! Was your dad a bit misogynistic? I ask because my dad took me to visit his lawyer when I was 14 so his lawyer could tell me I didn't belong in college, as a female. That it would be a waste of money for me because I'd never make it through, I'd drop out to get married, or if by some miracle I DID graduate, my degree would be worthless because women should only work in nursing, secreterial work, or teaching, and only if they weren't married. And I was a straight A student involved in a lot of activities. I couldn't believe that my dad felt that way about me....that I wasn't smart enough or good enough to do most jobs, and that I shouldn't even try because I couldn't do it. But he was just incredibly misogynistic and was always shocked when there was a woman doctor or lawyer. He didn't see women as being very capable, so when he came across a woman who did a good job of something, he was surprised. He'd sing their praises, but was convinced it was extremely rare to find such a woman. :rolleyes:

That must have been frustrating for you. I think I read somewhere that one of the Tier I law schools had more female students than male in one of its incoming classes. And regarding careers like nursing and teaching, ("pink collar jobs")--men who take these jobs are promoted into management positions much more quickly than women and get paid more. So times have definitely changed.

I think my father didn't want me being a FA because he didn't like the idea of me traveling all over the place alone. He was either worried that men were going to bother me while I was working or that I was going to be cavorting with a new man in every city I landed in. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So stupid. He figured something low paying would keep me living with my mom (my parents were divorced and he lived in Nashville) and he could also keep tabs on me, because we would have the same employer.

Sans Souci

When it rains, it pours...

Well, it literally is pouring outside right now, but there were issues well before the rain started. Wow...I sound depressing! Seriously though...it would be nice if work were the only issue. I had major drama with the older kiddo yesterday after school, Cookie got out...which was the part of the kid drama, Disney messed up my magic band order and I had to spend a while on the phone with them trying (for a second time) for them to fix my address in all parts of their systems, and to cap off a pretty cruddy work and parent day...I stepped in a big mound of dog poop at softball. I heard a mom friend in the bleachers as one of her kids to check their shoes because she could smell something and I had to interrupt and tell her it was me. I guess I should count my blessings (aside from the standard good/important stuff)...the birds flying overhead last night didn't bomb me and Voodoo didn't escape her crate last night even though the kids didn't lock it.

I got in a decent workout this morning and the ab, leg and glute pain had subsided enough for me to do some things I couldn't the last couple of days...so, that was good. However, the stupid gate is not working again, so we're going to have to get the electrician back out here and my younger one informed me as we were heading out the door that she had to walk her bike home yesterday because she busted her tire. Somewhere, in this busy weekend, I'm going to have to get it into the bike shop for repair. And I just know they are going to try and sell me a new bike. I'm not saying she won't need a new bike at some point. The bike is 2 years old and when she does ride it, she's pretty tough on it. That being said, minus a few random bike rides here or there, she puts about 3.8 miles on it each week.

Oh...and after thinking about the price of a new pair of shoes that I know my feet like vs. the cost of an injury from running in the wrong shoes or trying to use the same shoes on back to back days, I decided it was just better to invest in another pair. My mom can at least try and sell the others for me on ebay. They're a popular model and they are practically new.

Yikes. That sounds like a day that needed to end with a nice glass of wine. I've been reading about people having issues with ordering magic bands. People who don't clean up after their dogs are the worst. It makes me so angry, because it's like, who do these people think they are that they can just shirk their responsibility as a dog owner? I know it's not a pleasant task, but it's part of being a dog owner/parent. I always wish the biggest fines on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom