working out for Disney

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I prepped a nice salad for dinner tonight and we had three different kinds of salad dressing in the fridge, so I put all three out on the table. I read the labels and was surprised.
Ranch dressing - 1 gram of sugar
Thousand Island dressing - 6 grams of sugar
Raspberry Vinagarette - 12 grams of sugar
My wife was surprised the Raspberry Vinagarette had twice the sugar of the Thousand Island. Of course, it had much less fat...you just can't win.
Of course, different brands of dressing have different amounts of sugar. For example, the Wishbone Thousand Island has less sugar than the Kraft Thousand Island.
If I was crafty, I would make my own fresh dressing in the blender and avoid a lot of added fat and sugar and who knows what kind of chemicals. Might look into that. I like salads OK, but have to have dressing to make it appealing.
Anyway, just rambling about sugar content in salad dressing, something you may have no interest in.
Actually I do so thnx for sharing. If I was you I'd have the one with the least amount of sugar. You really should look into making your own with that fancy vitamix of yours. If you do stick with healthier oils extra virgin olive oil, walnut, avocado and such. Then add a good vinegar but not balsamic(it has a bit of sugar), a good mustard and some nice herbs. Tahini and lemon thinned with water is also good, as is carrot, ginger, orange with a splash of sesame oil. Have fun with it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Happy 8000! Day four of yoga revolution(pranna/energy). So far so good and I like every day has a bit of core. After yesterday's public falling and seeing it's right at the freezing point I may not head outside except to go shopping later so after I kick everybody out LS is going on(I already have it in the DVD player ready to go:joyfull: EEK I seem to be on a roll with Chinese food LOL I guess it goes with trying to eat food in season. Winter Chinese and summer Indian or Mediterranean :hilarious: Today is bok choi, mushrooms, garlic, onions, mixed peppers and I'm going to spice things up with dried chilis and ginger. My lunch salad will have a carrot, ginger cilantro dressing:hungry:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I prepped a nice salad for dinner tonight and we had three different kinds of salad dressing in the fridge, so I put all three out on the table. I read the labels and was surprised.
My wife was surprised the Raspberry Vinagarette had twice the sugar of the Thousand Island. Of course, it had much less fat...you just can't win.
Of course, different brands of dressing have different amounts of sugar. For example, the Wishbone Thousand Island has less sugar than the Kraft Thousand Island.
If I was crafty, I would make my own fresh dressing in the blender and avoid a lot of added fat and sugar and who knows what kind of chemicals. Might look into that. I like salads OK, but have to have dressing to make it appealing.
Anyway, just rambling about sugar content in salad dressing, something you may have no interest in.

I tend to buy only Italian dressings (oil and vinegar types) and I watch the label ingredients like a hawk. I stick with the more organic brands. We don't use much salad dressing to begin with, so I don't mind spending a bit more for this.

epcotisbest

Actually I do so thnx for sharing. If I was you I'd have the one with the least amount of sugar. You really should look into making your own with that fancy vitamix of yours. If you do stick with healthier oils extra virgin olive oil, walnut, avocado and such. Then add a good vinegar but not balsamic(it has a bit of sugar), a good mustard and some nice herbs. Tahini and lemon thinned with water is also good, as is carrot, ginger, orange with a splash of sesame oil. Have fun with it.

Thanks for the tip. A quick google search found this. Some of these are a bit exotic for a simple county boy, but some I could easily do and might actually enjoy. Gotta do some shopping for ingredients this weekend. Some have added sugar, but I am sure I could substitute.

https://www.vitamix.com/10-Homemade-Salad-Dressings-in-Your-Blender

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

Yayy food pix are back!! Except that makes me hungry @epcotisbest !
I make my salad dressings with olive oil, one of these: red, white or balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I occasionally add in Dijon or whole grain mustard to give it a kick. :)

I was about to post recipes for a few vinaigrette dressings that I make, and then I had the strongest sense of deja vu. Sure enough, we've had this conversation before! (well, a very similar one, anyway!)

Champagne Vinaigrette:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-134#post-5783375
Ginger Soy Dressing
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-135#post-5785304
Citrus Vinaigrette
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-135#post-5785351

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I was about to post recipes for a few vinaigrette dressings that I make, and then I had the strongest sense of deja vu. Sure enough, we've had this conversation before! (well, a very similar one, anyway!)

Champagne Vinaigrette:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-134#post-5783375
Ginger Soy Dressing
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-135#post-5785304
Citrus Vinaigrette
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/working-out-for-disney.860347/page-135#post-5785351

Thank you for reminding me of these. I blame my forgetfulness on advancing age. These all are worth trying.

epcotisbest

Protein choice tonight is Thai Chili wings. Served with a simple salad with Ranch Dressing. I will try making my own salad dressing maybe this weekend, though they are saying we might get some snow for Saturday. If that happens the grocery stores will be packed and there will be no bread or milk left on the shelves. We will probably avoid grocery shopping if it snows. Is that a phenomenon just for here in the south or do people storm the grocery stores for bread and milk up north too?

wings.jpg wings2.jpg

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did another workout from my new DVD (There are five.). It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't the worst. I took yesterday off. I was a bit sore from the workout I did the previous day. LOL

We had a bit of excitement today. I live just down the street from a middle school and they had someone phone in a threat. There was news vans and it took me forever to get home from my hair appointment. I had to show ID because my house was located in the area the police had blocked off. I live on a corner and I had looky-loos hanging around outside. It was over by 3, when the kids get let out of school.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom