Workers want pay boost

Hyperspace Hoopla

The issue with the victim mentality isn't the people who are stuck in bad situations. When desperate, it's much easier to make poor decisions.

So, would you say that people make bad choices when they're mad, or scared or stressed? Maybe if you throw a little love their way you'll bring out their best.

Sorry - that was pretty bad, I know. It's just been over, and over, and over - and now I know they'll have the DVD on when I get home from work....

slappy magoo

"So, what does your dad do for a living?"

"He works at McDonalds flipping hamburgers."

It was never intended to be this way folks and it is a shame our government doesn't realize this and do something about it like get the economy going which in-turn would create "real" jobs. November..
That...is both sad & hilarious. Thank you for embodying everything I found creepy about this thread.
aaaaand you'll still forgive me if I don't take you seriously, Preston

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, first, Disney qualified for the employer mandate exemption (which pushed those expenses off).

But, second, I can tell you we saw well more than a 12% increase, and my company is rather small, in labor due to the mandate when we decided to be compliant. It was closer to 40%.

Enough that we have trimmed jobs and, at the time, considered dropping all benefits. Also, we are looking at how we can move full time jobs to a combination of part timers, and increasing automating so we can lay off more people.

This all sounds cutthroat, but I know if we are doing it, others are as well.
Are you saying 40% of revenue or a 40% increase in that particular expense?

For Disney I don't have the numbers, but even if total labor accounts for 50% of costs the health insurance portion would be closer to 10% to 15% of total expense. They have a built in profit margin too so to keep operating income from the segment at constant dollars with a 12% increase in revenue you can actually increase expense more than 12%. In other words even if the health insurance expense doubled you wouldn't need to raise revenue 12% to compensate.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Are you saying 40% of revenue or a 40% increase in that particular expense?

For Disney I don't have the numbers, but even if total labor accounts for 50% of costs the health insurance portion would be closer to 10% to 15% of total expense. They have a built in profit margin too so to keep operating income from the segment at constant dollars with a 12% increase in revenue you can actually increase expense more than 12%. In other words even if the health insurance expense doubled you wouldn't need to raise revenue 12% to compensate.
40% increase in the benefits line.

flynnibus

Premium Member
200 a month? More then 9500 a year?

Reread that budget I wrote.

You concluded she would have $235 worth of disposable income that could be used for luxuries.. and that much could be done with it... even saving up for a WDW vacation. But your budget did not include any incidentals, including needing to paying for unexpected expenses like car repairs, which can easily be hundreds of dollars wiping out several months of your 'surplus' easily. Then we could include other things like basic activities like simple recreation, maintenance, etc. I have no idea where you are jumping to 9500..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is sad, but I do not know why you find it hilarious? Just your way of brushing off what the real problem is...lack of jobs, period?

I agree the problem is a lack of well paying jobs. I think everyone would agree that it would be nice if there were more jobs and more higher paying jobs. Getting there is a whole different discussion.

I'm just playing devils advocate for a moment with a scenario that's extreme and a little out there, but bear with me. Let's say some significant economic event occurs that brings about a return of middle class, manufacturing and blue collar work, a return to the 1950s. Since this is a hypothetical example lets say Google buys China (the entire country) and brings all of our jobs back. They implement a policy where they will pay people $25/hr plus full benefits to fill these factory jobs and there are enough new jobs created so that anyone making less than $25/hr can have one. All of the housekeepers, fast food workers, bus drivers and other lower wage employees leave WDW to take one of these new jobs. What happens now? Either WDW offers all of these people more than $25/hr to try to keep them in their current jobs or they shut the place down. Maybe a highly profitable organization like Disney could find a way to survive. The real victims would be small business owners. As we have heard throughout this thread the small business owners can't afford to give their employees an increase in pay without facing bankruptcy. I assume then most small businesses would go bankrupt since their workers would have left for higher wages. Now I can't get a decent meal out anywhere or find a hotel room, I can't afford to replace my big screen TV because Walmart doubled their prices and a bunch of my neighbors who owned their own business are now panhandling.

This is an obvious exaggeration, but it's intent is to show that the over simplified answer that lower income workers should just seek higher paying jobs is flawed. Someone has to clean rooms and cook and serve food and other less desirable jobs. Unless we build robots to do these jobs (maybe Google's new jobs could be at a robot factory;)) a person will be doing them and getting paid poorly. Pretending the low paying jobs don't exist doesn't make them go away.

slappy magoo

You concluded she would have $235 worth of disposable income that could be used for luxuries.. and that much could be done with it... even saving up for a WDW vacation. But your budget did not include any incidentals, including needing to paying for unexpected expenses like car repairs, which can easily be hundreds of dollars wiping out several months of your 'surplus' easily. Then we could include other things like basic activities like simple recreation, maintenance, etc. I have no idea where you are jumping to 9500..
Part of it is two additional paychecks - he based her monthly budget on getting paid bi-weekly, which would usually mean 2 checks a month. Since there are 52 weeks and a day in a non-leap year, that means getting she's really paid 26 (once in a great while 27) times a year, so some extra money there.

The rest, between exemptions in federal tax and the Earned Income Tax Bracket, she's probably in a situation where she'd get thousands back form the government without paying. The EITC alone for someone in her position could be as much as 5700. What might screw it up is if she's still technically married, still filing jointly and her husband makes money that she has no access to, while providing no support and she can't afford a lawyer to get anything from him. I suspect that's not the case here, but I don't know.

I find his estimates to be somewhat flawed - for example, even not getting expensive groceries, groceries for herself and three children would probably be significantly more than his estimates, she's also paying more for gas than his estimate of a full tank 2x/month. One other thing not discussed is any liabilities she's responsible for by having an admitted drug addict for a husband - did he ring up thousands in debt on credit cards she has to pay, for example. But because I don't know her entire situation, Im' not about to write her off as a whiner who doesn't plan to fail but fails to plan either.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't like Moore because he's a gun control zealot.

I don't like Moore because he's a hypocrite, He has become wealthy through his films if he's so into how being wealthy is bad, There is nothing stopping him from turning over his fortune to the less fortunate and perhaps buying an annuity so he can live in modest comfort.

I guess in Moore's case like so many others it's ok IF I AM Wealthy it's bad if YOU are wealthy. I am elite and am entitled to wealth, you are a little person born to serve me.

Just another limoosine liberal - Just like Orwell's Animal House - Some animals are more equal than others.

wedway71

FYI Disney does not hire anyone under 18. It has been a rule since Disneyland started I believe because they are still "children" and they did not want the magic ruined. That is what I was told years ago when I worked at our local Disney store.

WDW used to hire at 16. I am not sure about now. I have an old Casting Brochure from 1986 and it states 16 as minimum age. The disclaimer was had to be 18 for attractions, culinary and transportation. We had a friend that was 16 and worked at MK in Custodial back in HS.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Part of it is two additional paychecks - he based her monthly budget on getting paid bi-weekly, which would usually mean 2 checks a month. Since there are 52 weeks and a day in a non-leap year, that means getting she's really paid 26 (once in a great while 27) times a year, so some extra money there.

The rest, between exemptions in federal tax and the Earned Income Tax Bracket, she's probably in a situation where she'd get thousands back form the government without paying. The EITC alone for someone in her position could be as much as 5700. What might screw it up is if she's still technically married, still filing jointly and her husband makes money that she has no access to, while providing no support and she can't afford a lawyer to get anything from him. I suspect that's not the case here, but I don't know.

I find his estimates to be somewhat flawed - for example, even not getting expensive groceries, groceries for herself and three children would probably be significantly more than his estimates, she's also paying more for gas than his estimate of a full tank 2x/month. One other thing not discussed is any liabilities she's responsible for by having an admitted drug addict for a husband - did he ring up thousands in debt on credit cards she has to pay, for example. But because I don't know her entire situation, Im' not about to write her off as a whiner who doesn't plan to fail but fails to plan either.
Correct. There are 2 (and every 4 years she would get 3) extra paychecks not allocated in that budget.

I'm not sure how $600 per month is not a reasonable allocation for a household of one adult and 3 children.

But, to put some thought into that...

Weekly Meal Plan

Breakfast
Mon
- 4 Eggs, 4 slices of toast and 1/2 lb of bacon, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Tues - Cereal with Bananas, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Weds - Scrambled Cheesy Eggs with Sausage. 4 Eggs, 3 slices of cheese, 1/2 roll of breakfast sausage, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Thurs - Cereal with Strawberries, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Fri - 4 Eggs, 4 slices of toast and 1/2 lb of bacon, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Sat - Waffles, Strawberries and Syrup, 1/2 roll of breakfast sausage, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee
Sun - Pancakes, Bananas, 1/2 lb of bacon, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of orange juice, coffee

Shopping list for breakfast:
1.25 dozen eggs per week ($2.68 * 5 for the month = $13.40)
1 loaf of whole grain bread per week (assume 15 slices) ($1.41 * 4 = $5.64)
3 slices of cheese per week = 1 pack of premium cheese per month (4.75)
2 large boxes of cereal per month (3.75 * 2 = $7)
1 lb of bacon per week ($6 * 4 = $24)
1 tube of breakfast sausage per week ($5 * 4 = $20)
3 gallons milk per week (3 x $3.50 = $10.50 * 4 = $42)
3 large containers (59 oz) Tropicana Orange Juice per week (3 x $6 = $18 * 4 = $72)
1 bunch (approx 8) bananas per week ($1.50 * 4 = $6)
1 large tub of strawberries every 2 weeks ($3 * 2 = $6)
4 cups of flour per week for pancakes and waffles means around 10 lbs of flour per month ($3.50 per month)
8 tablespoons sugar (waffles and pancakes) + 7 tablespoons for coffee = 15 per week * 4 = 60 tablespoons per month = 3/4 of a pound of sugar per month ($5)
4 tsp baking powder * 4 = 16 tsp of baking powder per month mans about half a container of Calumet per month ($3.5 / 2 = $1.25)
1 tsp per week of salt for recipes, 6 tsp of salt for cooking means 28 tsp per month of kosher salt, which is about 10% of a 42 oz container ($5.50 * .10 = $0.55)
1 stick of unsalted butter per week = 4 sticks per month ($4.50)
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil = 16 per month = 6% of a gallon of Veggie Oil (5.25 * .06 = $0.32)
1 large container of Maple Syrup per month ($5.75)
1 large container of Honey per month (4.50)
2 large containers of jelly per month ($3.75)
1 half gallon of whipping cream per month ($4.25)
8 teaspoons vanilla extract per month which is about 3/4 of a standard 2 oz container ($3.50 * .75 = $2.63)
8 tablespoons of confectioners sugar plus 6 tablespoons for sprinkling per month is around 1/4 of a lb ($4.25 * .25 = $1.06)
2 bags of whole bean coffee per month ($6.5 * 2 = $13)

So, breakfast total, monthly...with a menu planned for very little waste, and quite a healthy menu with variations and options, and also including running ingredients like sugar and flour which would carry over month to month.

Monthly spend so far = $250.85 with a per plate average cost of $2.24, a per meal average cost of $8.96 and an average weekly average cost of $62.71.

Lunch (assuming day care / school does NOT provide lunches)
Mon
- Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches. 8 slices of texas toast sauteed in 8 oz of butter, 12 oz of peanut butter, 3-4 bananas (this uses up the leftover bananas from the previous week), Drizzle of honey, Baby Carrots with ranch dipping sauce, 3 8 oz juice packs and 1 16 oz bottle soda
Tues - Turkey Breast and Bacon Sandwiches. 8 slices of texas toast, 1/2 lb of bacon, 1/2 lb Sliced Turkey Breast, 4 leaves of iceberg lettuce, 6-8 slices of tomato, 4 tablespoons of mayo, 2 tablespoons of mustard, 4 red onion rings, 4 bags of chips, 3 8 oz juice packs and 1 16 oz bottle soda
Weds - Tuna Pitas. 4 pita bread halves, 16 oz of canned albacore tuna, drained, 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles, drained, 3 tbls plain yogurt, 3 tbls mayo, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (approx 1/2 an onion), 1/2 cup chopped granny smith apple (approx 1/2 apple), 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, Baby Carrots with ranch dipping sauce, 3 8oz juice packs and 1 16 oz bottle soda (there will be leftover Tuna Salad)
Thurs - Ham Sandwiches. 8 slices of texas toast, 1/2 lb Sliced Ham, 4 leaves of iceberg lettuce, 6-8 slices of tomato, 4 tablespoons of mayo, 2 tablespoons of mustard, 4 red onion rings, 4 bags of chips, 3 8 oz juice packs and 1 16 oz bottle soda
Fri - Chicken Ceasar Pitas. 1/2 lb sliced turkey, leftover Ceasar Salad (see dinner menu), Celery Stalks with ranch dipping sauce. 3 8 oz juice packs and 1 16 oz bottle soda.
Sat - Tuna Salad Sandwiches. 8 slices of whole grain toasted in 4 oz of butter (which will finish the whole grain loaf from the breakfast menu), leftover Tuna Salad from Weds, side of chips. 4 8oz glasses of milk.
Sun - Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. 2 10 oz cans of tomato soup with 20 oz of milk, 8 slices of american cheese, 8 slices of Texas Toast. 4 8oz glasses of milk.

Shopping List for Lunch
12 oz of butter per week = 3 sticks per week = 12 sticks per month (4.50 * 3 = $13.50)
3 - 4 Bananas (no additional cost, already included in the breakfast spend)
Drizzle of Honey (no additional cost, already included in the breakfast spend)
Whole Grain bread (no additional cost, already included in the breakfast spend)
24 oz of Baby carrots per week or 96 oz per month or 6 lbs per month (1.75 * 6 = $10.50)
84 oz of milk or about 3/4 of a gallon per week or 3 gallons per month (3.5 * 3 = $10.50)
1/2 lb of bacon per week, or 2 lbs per month ($6 * 2 = $12)
1/2 lb of turkey breast per week ($7.50 * 4 = $30)
1/2 lb of ham per week ($5.50 * 4 = $22)
2 loafs of Texas Toast (assuming 16 slices per loaf) per week (3.50 * 8 = $28)
2 packages of Pita Bread per month (4 pitas, using 1/2 per week) (3.50 * 2 = $7)
11 tablespoons of mayo per week = 44 tablespoons per month = 1 22 oz container per month ($3.75)
4 tablespoons of mustard per week = 16 tablespoons per month = around 1 10oz container per month ($4.50)
4 tomatoes per week = 16 tomatoes per month (.75 * 16 = $12)
1 red onion per week (.55 * 4 = $2.20)
2 sweet onions per month (.55 * 2 = $1.10)
8 3oz bags of chips = 24 oz of chips = approx 3 bags per month ($4 * 3 = $12)
2 stalks of celery per month (.45 * 2 = $0.90)
2 cans of tomato soup per week (.90 * 8 = $7.20)
1 head of iceberg per week (.75 * 4 = $3)
15 juice packs per week = 60 per month or 6 packs per month (4.25 * 6 = $25.50)
5 bottled sodas per week = 20 per month (.75 * 20 = $15)
3 tbls of yogurt per week, 12 per month, or 1 6oz package per month ($2.30)
4 red peppers per month (.45 * 4 = $1.80)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar per week, 8 per month or approx .08 of a 16 oz bottle per month (2.50 * .08 = $.20)
24 tablespoons of ranch dressing per week = 96 per month = 3 16 oz dressing bottles per month (2.50 * 3 = $7.50)
Caesar Salad (leftover from Thurs Night Dinner, costs are assigned to dinner)

Lunch monthly spend is $232.45. Per plate average is $2.08, and a per meal average cost of $8.32 and an average weekly cost of $58.11.

Monthly spend so far = $483.30 with a per plate average cost of $2.16, a per meal average cost of $8.64, a per diem so far average cost of $17.28, and an average weekly average cost of $120.82.

Of course, these numbers change dramatically if the day care / school serves lunch. But, I'm assuming a well rounded menu, little waste, healthy and using premium / quality ingredients (like premium cheese and deli meats) as opposed to cheaper alternatives.

Dinner
Mon
- Veal Piccata Sting (chicken) served over mushroom tomato angel hair pasta with a lemon caper sauce. For dessert, make cupcakes. 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Tues - Taco Tuesday! 6 - 8 of taco shells, 2 lbs of ground beef, 8 oz shredded mexican style cheese, 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded, 1 tomato chopped, 4 oz of sour cream, 1 8oz can of sliced black olives 2 packets of taco seasoning. Side of refried beans topped with cheese. For dessert, 3 burrito tortillas, 2 tbls butter, 2 tbls brown sugar, 2 tsp confectioners sugar. 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Weds - Pot Roast with rice and frozen mixed vegetables. For dessert, leftover cupcakes. 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Thurs - Chicken Caesar Salad with a side of breadsticks. For dessert, fresh cream and mixed berries. 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Fri - German Night! Bratwurst, sauerkraut, grilled asparagus and speatzle. For dessert, banana splits! 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Sat - Steak and Baked Potatoes topped with butter, sour cream, chives and bacon. Served with sauteed Green Beans with pine nuts and bacon. For dessert, make a cake. 6 8oz glasses of milk.
Sun - Tilapia and rice served with frozen mixed vegetables. For dessert, smores! 6 8oz glasses of milk.

Shopping List for Dinner
8 boneless, skinless chicken (8.82 * 2 * 4 = $70.56)
8 cups of flour per week for cooking and baking means around 20 lbs of flour per month ($3.50 * 2 = $7)
.75 tablespoon of cayanne pepper per week, or 4 per month, which is around 1 container of Zatarains per month ($1.25)
4 tsp per week of salt for recipes, 6 tsp of salt for cooking means 40 tsp per month of kosher salt, which is about 16% of a 42 oz container ($5.50 * .16 = $0.88)
4 lbs chuck roast per week ($7.25 * 4 = $29)
1 packet of dry onion soup mix per week (.50 * 4 = $2)
3 carrots per week (.75 * 4 = $3)
7 potatoes per week (3 for pot roast, 4 for steak and potatoes), or approximately one bag (3.50 * 4 = $14)
1 stalk of celery per week (already included in the lunch budget, so no additional cost)
1 box of taco shells, 10 shells per box, use 6 per week or 24 per month, or approx 3 boxes per month ($3 * 3 = $9)
2 lbs of ground beef per week, 8 per month ($4.50 * 8 = $36)
2 packets of taco seasoning per week, 8 per month (.50 * 4 = $2)
1/2 head of iceberg per week (.75 * 2 = $1.50)
2 cans of refried beans per week (.75 * 8 = $6)
4 oz of sour cream per week, 16 oz tub per month ($2.25)
1/2 bag of shredded mexican cheese per week, 2 large 20 oz bags per month ($4.50 * 2 = $9)
1 package of burrito sized tortillas per month ($2.50)
16 tbls of butter for cooking, or 2 sticks per week. 8 sticks per month (4.50 * 2 = $9)
2 lb of rice per week ($3.50 * 2 * 4 = $28)
2 large bratwurst ($5.50 * 2 * 4 = $44)
1 jar of sauerkraut every 2 weeks ($6 * 2 = $12)
3 gallons of milk for drinking and cooking per week(3 x $3.50 = $10.50 * 4 = $42)
1/2 box of brown sugar per month (3.30 * .5 = $1.25)
3 bags of ceasar salad mix per week, 12 per month (4.25 * 12 = $51)
4 eggs per week for cooking and baking. 1 dozen per month ($2.68)
1 half gallon of whipping cream per month ($4.25)
8 teaspoons vanilla extract per month which is about 3/4 of a standard 2 oz container ($3.50 * .75 = $2.63)
3.75 cups of confectioners sugar, or around 1 a pound per week ($4.25 * 4 = $17)
1 bunch (approx 8) bananas every two weeks ($1.50 * 2 = $3)
1 large tub of strawberries per week ($3 * 4 = $12)
1 large tub of blueberries per week ($3 * 4 = $12)
1 large tub of blackberries per week ($3 * 4 = $12)
1 large tub of raspberries per week ($3 * 4 = $12)
4 Ribeye steaks per week, 16 per month ($26 * 4 = $104)
1/4 lb bacon per week, 1 lb per month ($6)
2 packages of chives per month (2 * 2 = $4)
16 oz of green beans per week ($1.50 * 4 = $6)
1/2 bag of pine nuts per month ($1.50 * .5 = $0.75)
4 tilapia filets per week, 16 per month, or two packages of frozen tilapia (generally had 8 filets) (8.90 * 2 = $17.80)
4 packages of frozen mixed vegetables per week, 16 per month (3.25 * 16 = $52.00)
1 can of breadstick dough per week (4 * 4 = $16)
1 package of marshmallows per month ($5)
1 bar of chocolate per week, 4 per month (0.55 * 4 = $2.20)
1 box of cinnamon graham crackers per month ($3.50)
1/2 bottle of chocolate syrup per month ($3.50 * .5 = $1.25)
1 bottle of sprinkles per week (0.75 * 4 = $3)
2 pints of grape tomatoes per week (2 * 4 = $8)
2 8oz tubs of sliced mushrooms (2 * 4 = 8)
1 package of angel hair pasta per week (1.25 * 4 = $6)
2 bottles of capers per month (1.50 * 2 = $3)
1 dozen lemons per month ($3.50)
2 gallons of Ice Cream per month ($3.50 * 2 = $7)

Dinner monthly spend is $715.95. Per plate average is $6.39, and a per meal average cost of $25.56 and an average weekly cost of $178.92.

Monthly spend so far = $1196.25 with a per plate average cost of $3.56, a per meal average cost of $14.24, a per diem so far average cost of $42.72, and an average weekly average cost of $299.04.

So, there ya go. About twice what I estimated in the budget ($150 per week). However, I have a few notes about this menu.

1) It's very rich. It uses fresh and premium ingredients mostly, veering away from bulk or frozen products.
2) It's probably better then most people eat, even if not low income.
3) Portions were planned for adults, not children. That means 4 adults could eat off this menu. With children, this number changes dramatically.
4) It assumes that 4 adults are fed lunch daily, and that school / day care does not provide lunch.

Many things could be trimmed or substituted to dramatically lower the costs. Not doing steak every Sunday, for example, would have a massive impact on the budget. Also, doing low cost box meals and frozen vegetables would dramatically lower it. Not having such unique lunches would lower the cost. List goes on.

So, for the exercise, I went for a menu that was balanced, appealing, low waste, and as I mentioned, quite rich. Average calorie consumption on this diet would easily be 2000 calories per day. Probably closer to 3000. So, there would need to be a lot of adjustments for a family with children, as well as adults as a whole. But, I did want to run through the exercise to see what a "reasonable" food budget would look like.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Now, lets do a more likely meal plan.

Breakfast
Mon - Sat
- Cereal, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of frozen orange juice from concentrate
Sun - 1/4 lb bacon, 4 eggs, 4 slices of white bread, 4 8oz glasses of milk, 4 6oz glasses of frozen orange juice from concentrate

Shopping list
1 box of cereal per week ($3 * 4 = $12)
2.5 cans of frozen OJ per week, 10 per month ($2 * 10 = $20)
1/4 dozen eggs per week, 1 dozen per month ($2.68)
1/4 lb bacon per week, 1 lb per month ($6)
1 loaf of white bread per month ($1.25)

Total monthly spend is $83.93. Per plate average is $0.75. Per meal average is $3. Average weekly spend is $21.

Lunch (still assuming school / daycare does not provide lunch)

Mon - Sun - Ham, turkey or bologna sandwiches on white bread with tomato, mayo, yellow mustard, onion and lettuce. Bag of chips. 3 juice packs and 1 16 oz soda.

Shopping List
3.5 loaves of white bread per week. 14 loaves per month. (1.25 * 14 = $17.50)
1 head of Iceberg per week. (1 * 4 = $4)
11 tablespoons of mayo per week = 44 tablespoons per month = 1 22 oz container per month ($3.75)
4 tablespoons of yellow mustard per week, 16 tablespoons per month = around 1 10oz container per month ($2.50)
6 tomatoes per week = 24 tomatoes per month (.75 * 24 = $18)
1 lb of turkey per week (3 * 4 = $12)
1 lb of ham per week (3 * 4 = $12)
1 lb of bologna per week (3 * 4 = $12)
28 3oz bags of chips = 84 oz of chips, approx 11 bags of chips per month ($2.50 * 11 = $27.50)
21 juice packs per week = 84 per month, or around 9 packs per month (4.25 * 9 = $38.25)
7 sodas per week, 28 per month (.75 * 28 = $21)

Total monthly spend for lunch is $170.70. Per plate average is $1.52. Per meal average is $6.08. Per week average is $42.56.

Total monthly spend so far is $254.63. Per plate average is $1.14. Per meal average is $4.56. Per week average is $63.84.

Dinner
Mon - Spaghetti and Meat Sauce with Garlic Bread. 4 8 oz glasses of milk.
Tue - Chicken and Frozen Vegetables with Rice. 4 8 oz glasses of milk.
Wed - Hamburger Helper Cheesy Beef Macaroni with Frozen Vegetables. 4 8oz glasses of milk.
Thurs - Tuna Helper Tuna Tetrazzini with Frozen Vegetables. 4 8oz glasses of milk.
Fri - Lasagna with Frozen Vegetables. 4 8oz glasses of milk.
Sat - Hamburger Helper Deluxe Beef Stroganoff. 4 8oz glasses of milk.
Sun - Sloppy Joes with French Fries. 4 8oz glasses of milk.

Shopping List
1 box of spaghetti per week (1 * 4 = $4)
4 boneless, skinless chicken (8.82 * 4 = $35.28)
2 bottles of bottles spaghetti sauce per week (1.25 * 8 = $10)
1 loaf of frozen garlic cheesy bread per week (2 * 4 = $8)
8 sticks of butter per month (3.50 * 2 = $7)
2 boxes of Hamburger Helper, and 1 box of Tuna Helper per week, 12 boxes per month (3 * 12 = $36)
1 box of Lasagna Noodles per week (1 * 4 = $4)
8 lbs of ground beef per week, 32 per month ($3 * 32 = $96)
1 16 oz tub of ricotta cheese per week ($5.50 * 4 = $22)
1 bag of shredded mozzerella cheese per week ($4 * 4 = $16)
3 cans of tuna per week, 12 per month (1 * 12 = $12)
2 bags of frozen mixed vegetables per week (2 * 8 = $16)
2 cans of sloppy joe mix per week (1 * 8 = $8)
1 celery heart per month (1 * 1 = $1)
2 red onion per month (.55 * 2 = $1.10)
2 bags of frozen french fries per month ($5 * 2 = $10)
4 hamburger buns per week = 2 packages per month ($3 * 2 = $6)

Dinner spend monthly is $330.38. Per plate average is $2.94. Per meal average is $11.76. Weekly spend is $82.60.

Monthly total is $585.01. Per plate average is $1.74. Per meal average is $6.96. Weekly spend is $146.25.

This still leaves ~$15 dollars a month for snacks and treats.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom