Work at Wonder of Life? (Pics)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Honestly at this point, I think WoL should be gutted and replaced. The pavillion was okay, probably the second worst of the original pavillions, with the Living Seas being the worst. Everything in it is out dated or already gone, and the place is straight outta the eighties. It's time for something new over there.
Bring on the weather pavilion sponsored by The Weather Channel and Home Depot. "Promoting Hurricane Paranoia into the New Milena.":lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The original WoL sign was on a steel arch spanning the path; http://disneypix.com/EPCOT/FutureWorld/1991a/FW1191-03.htm
Apparently the steel is now in the MK autoplaza sign (it did need a better sign than the originals!)

Does anyone remember what year the WOL arch was removed and recycled into the autoplaza sign? I am thinking it must have been several years ago because I vaguely remember the archway at WoL and can't ever recall the autoplaza not being hot pink...:lol:

Then again, you can't go by me because I have never actually driven a vehicle into MK. Ive always been on WDW transportation....not necessarily paying attention to where we were going. :lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Sometime after 89 but before 96? Because 96 is when Energy had its refurbishment and got the sign on the side of the building near Wonders, now removed, that had the cardboard cut-out T-rex that pivotted at the waist.

That sign would have blocked the arch, so the two could never have coexisted, that atleast shortens the timeframe a bit.

hokielutz

Bring on the weather pavilion sponsored by The Weather Channel and Home Depot. "Promoting Hurricane Paranoia into the New Milena.":lol:

Yeah... that's the way to go...

Use the Body Wars Simulators for a simulation of flying into and through the eye of a class 5 hurricane.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Sometime after 89 but before 96? Because 96 is when Energy had its refurbishment and got the sign on the side of the building near Wonders, now removed, that had the cardboard cut-out T-rex that pivotted at the waist.

That sign would have blocked the arch, so the two could never have coexisted, that atleast shortens the timeframe a bit.

Hmm. My first trip was in 1991. I was too young to really be able to say one way or another. Was it in 1994 when they changed over to Innoventions from Communicore and started with the Epcot'94 thing :veryconfu Maybe they took the arch down when they added in Innoventions...not that one has anything to do with the other. :lol:

PintoColvig

You know, looking at the pic of the original entrance to WoL and how open it was back then shows me why the pavilion only draws a paltry amount of attendance when it happened to open at busy times in recent years. With all the tree and foliage growth, you can hardly tell that it's back there anymore. If they refurbish it or demolish it and start over, they seriously need to cut back all that growth. It gives the impression that Disney didn't have a high opinion of that pavilion.

Now I have a question that I'm sure has been debated over and over but I'll ask it here...
What led to the demise of WoL? Anyone know?

Chape19714

You know, looking at the pic of the original entrance to WoL and how open it was back then shows me why the pavilion only draws a paltry amount of attendance when it happened to open at busy times in recent years. With all the tree and foliage growth, you can hardly tell that it's back there anymore. If they refurbish it or demolish it and start over, they seriously need to cut back all that growth. It gives the impression that Disney didn't have a high opinion of that pavilion.

Now I have a question that I'm sure has been debated over and over but I'll ask it here...
What led to the demise of WoL? Anyone know?
Metlife dropping thier sponcership, at least IMHO.

My favorite irony is how the area in front of WoL is now an unoffical smoking area. :lookaroun

PintoColvig

Metlife dropping thier sponcership, at least IMHO.

I gues I've never understood this. Why would Disney let all of their investment go to waste just because they don't have a sponsor. I realize that refurbishments and such require money but that doesn't stop them from keeping sponsorless rides at the MK open. Also, keeping pavilions and attractions up to date and refurbished would be a good way to attract new sponsors, it seems to me.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The Metropolitan Life lounge is one of the nicest in all of Epcot, now just refered to as the "Wonders Retreat" for private functions.

Apparently it wasn't just the dropping of the sponsorship, i think Metlife and Disney had a big falling out of sorts. I think Disney used to have all of its insurance for employees under Metlife and now it has none.

I think the folliage growth is intentional. The two sloping hedges on either side of Energy should be identicle - however the one on the Wonders of Life side was never trimmed back after Metlife left. It, and all of the other trees, were allowed to grow and make the pavilion sort of vanish into the surrounding area.

TarzanRocked99-

I am not sure when the Arch was removed, but its made it debut as the new parking entrance at the start of the 20th anniversary celebration in October of 90

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I am not sure when the Arch was removed, but it made it debut as the new parking entrance at the start of the 20th anniversary celebration in October of 90

A HA! That explains why I don't remember seeing the parking plaza look any different! I didn't have my first trip to WDW until August 1991! It all makes sense now...:lol:

PintoColvig

Oh this is sad...

It is indeed sad. I never realized the extent of the VIP lounge area, especially the board room. What's it used for now? It seems to me that if the board rooom is still in good shape that another company might be interested in it.

Merf, do you know if the other VIP lounge areas around WDW have this kind of set up for the sponsoring companies?

Chape19714

It is indeed sad. I never realized the extent of the VIP lounge area, especially the board room. What's it used for now? It seems to me that if the board rooom is still in good shape that another company might be interested in it.

Merf, do you know if the other VIP lounge areas around WDW have this kind of set up for the sponsoring companies?
Almost all sponcered rides have some sort of Lounge attached to them.

To name a few:
Test Track (which GM actually has cooperate offices in)
Mission Space-HP
The Land-Nestle
Space Mountain-Empty as of current
Spaceship Earth
Living Seas-Empty as of current, used for some weddings.
Behind Carousel of Progress-Used to be AAA, now empty

and there's others I'm not 100% sure of. I believe Universe of Energy has a VIP lounge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom