Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Mike S

I think I read D23 expo is going to be in July next year Rather than the usual August, maybe you could do both in one trip!!!!!
That's what I'm planning. It also just so happens to be the week of my 24th birthday so my thought process is pretty much this.
image.png

FerretAfros

How will this be any more of a sore thumb than a Swiss mountain next to a castle?
Right, because we all know that it's wildly unrealistic to have a castle in the Alps...
original.jpg

And yes, I realize that Neuschwanstein is in Germany right next to the Austrian border, so I guess it's technically not next to *Swiss* mountains, though they're all part of the same range. For a Swiss mountain castle, perhaps Tarasp Castle near Zernes would be more appropriate:
tarasp-castle-engadin-switzerland-by-luca-da-ros.jpg

Disney has proven in the past that they have all sorts of clever ways to make non sequitur settings work. But this is about more than simple transitions between themes, it's about the scale and stylistic approach of a larger-than-life detail-filled spectacle not fitting in with cozy little Disneyland. For what they're doing to make sense, they will have to design it with the context of the remainder of the park in mind; I've seen nothing so far to indicate that this is the case

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I don't think they are. That's my point. One will be secluded and tucked into a currently backstage area, and one is a constant reminder that you're in a theme park because you have two things that don't go together within direct viewpoint of each other. Mind you, it doesn't bother me, but I don't understand how one could be offensive to someone and not the other.

Interesting you say a mountain and a castle don't mesh well.

The real castle SBC is based on, Neuschwanstein, has a mountain in the backdrop.

image.jpeg

This photo was taken by our very own, @WDWFigment. I think it brilliantly captures just how perfect Matterhorn and SBC compliment each other.

image.jpeg

Matterhorn works well for Fantasyland in general, in my opinion, and does nothing to intrude and does not clash with Disneyland's feel/tone.

image.jpeg

Mike S

View attachment 138753 View attachment 138749 View attachment 138747

The real castle SBC is based on, Neuschwanstein, has a mountain in the backdrop.

View attachment 138747

This photo was taken by our very own, @WDWFigment. I think it brilliantly captures just how perfect Matterhorn and SBC compliment each other.

View attachment 138749

Matterhorn works well for Fantasyland in general, in my opinion, and does nothing to intrude and does not clash with Disneyland's feel/tone.

View attachment 138753
That night picture is nothing short of spectacular :jawdrop: This is the best I could do with my iPhone in Magic Kingdom.
image.jpeg

Rich T

Star Wars is Walt Disney's greatest creation.
I love this (for real). But for quite some time now, the upcoming generations of Disneyland fans have viewed the park as Disney (the media giant) land, not DIsney (the real person) land. It's inevitable, and the newer fans who want to know about the park's origins do their research and find out who Walt Disney was (some of them are in these forums). But for the majority of Disneyland or WDW visitors--they just come for quality escapism and couldn't care less who created it. And we all know Walt Disney the public figure was a team creation, combining his personal interests and gut instincts with the talents of the people he drew into his orbit. The man was a genius, but he did not invent Grimm's fairy tales. He adapted things that existed and made them relate-able, inspiring and incredibly entertaining. He was not adverse to bringing non-Disney creations or random sponsors into the park if he thought it would work or help the park financially. He hired a Circus to perform. He created spectacular Corporate plugs for the World's Fair, and then brought them into Disneyland. Dinosaurs made no sense on the Railroad, but he put them there because they were fun. Imagineers did not create Skyway. Walt Disney was very open-minded about his park. If it was fun, he'd do it. No one can say for certain what he would have done in today's situation, but when it comes to collaborating with some of the most talented storytellers on the planet? For a sure-fire home run mega-hit that would fund his future projects? I think it's possible he would have negotiated and built Star Wars Land thirty-five years ago.
[EDIT]...And he would have worked with Lucas to get the prequels made sooner and would have stopped them from sucking.

Rich T

Beautiful shots. But, a couple of years from now, people will be taking (almost) equally beautiful shots of Star Wars Land. Ten years from now, it will be inconceivable to most people that anyone would have though that Star Wars Land wasn't a good thing or didn't fit.

At least, that how I hope it plays out. I've said this before; I'm optimistic about this. My only alternative is tears. And I don't like tears.

BubbaQuest

...Using that argument of yours, who would want to visit the real, dirty, dangerous Old West with all its hardships? Who would want to visit a fairy tale kingdom where everyone lives a crappy life except for one couple?...

That's my whole problem with this thing. I want the REAL Star Wars Land, not a Mickeyfied version. I want ongoing gun battles and bounty hunters and drunk aliens. But I don't want that in the happiest place on earth. The IPs in the original Disneyland were already the happy and clean Disneyfied versions of those stories, not the dark originals. Well, maybe drunk Pinocchio :)

It's why I already don't like Star Wars (not Star Tours) in Tomorrowland. I don't want my vision of the future to include Stormtroopers.

BrianLo

Amen.

Poor Tomorrowland. That's another set of issues currently with the park. I spend as little time there as possible.

Tomorrowland is the worst part of Disneyland by far, it's far more offensive to my sensibilities. At least Star Wars Land might be well executed. Tomorrowland is now off theme and poorly executed.

On a positive note, Tomorrowland has been seemingly spared from both Star Wars and Marvel. Maybe they can actually run with a cohesive concept for it... or just let the vision of tomorrow become increasingly dystopian. :D

I'm all for an expanded Fantasyland presence as is the rumour swirling, but I just can't believe that's higher on their priority list than fixing tomorrowland.

Rich T

I'm all for an expanded Fantasyland presence as is the rumour swirling, but I just can't believe that's higher on their priority list than fixing tomorrowland.
It's the merchandising potential. I'm afraid that's pretty much what's going to drive park development from this point forward.

Curious Constance

Right, because we all know that it's wildly unrealistic to have a castle in the Alps...
original.jpg

And yes, I realize that Neuschwanstein is in Germany right next to the Austrian border, so I guess it's technically not next to *Swiss* mountains, though they're all part of the same range. For a Swiss mountain castle, perhaps Tarasp Castle near Zernes would be more appropriate:
tarasp-castle-engadin-switzerland-by-luca-da-ros.jpg

Disney has proven in the past that they have all sorts of clever ways to make non sequitur settings work. But this is about more than simple transitions between themes, it's about the scale and stylistic approach of a larger-than-life detail-filled spectacle not fitting in with cozy little Disneyland. For what they're doing to make sense, they will have to design it with the context of the remainder of the park in mind; I've seen nothing so far to indicate that this is the case

Ferret, are you getting cheeky?!

You could easily replace my example with many others. A castle at the end of a small town Main St for one.

Curious Constance

View attachment 138753 View attachment 138749 View attachment 138747

View attachment 138747

View attachment 138749

View attachment 138753
I want to live in Fantasyland. SO BADLY.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
For me though, if it's still there, I'm really looking forward to HyperSpace Mountain :cautious:

I ain't gonna lie, Hyperspace Mountain is pretty cool. Hearing that classic score by John Williams as you head into the ride... YES.

Tomorrowland is the worst part of Disneyland by far, it's far more offensive to my sensibilities. At least Star Wars Land might be well executed. Tomorrowland is now off theme and poorly executed.

On a positive note, Tomorrowland has been seemingly spared from both Star Wars and Marvel. Maybe they can actually run with a cohesive concept for it... or just let the vision of tomorrow become increasingly dystopian. :D

Couldn't agree more! I do like Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and Autopia. Other than that, I don't spend too much time there. I'm in and out. It's by far the worst of the bunch, I agree.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I want to live in Fantasyland. SO BADLY.

Have you ever considered getting a job at Disneyland after retiring? A lot of my co-workers did that. You could apply, possibly request Fantasyland, and I could give you pointers haha!

Fantasyland is definitely one of the most pleasing lands to look at. Besides having to wear that ugly uniform, I did enjoy working in Fantasyland, hence my profile picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom