Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

dweezil78

That's right I did say that and still believe the timing is right -- so clearly if they have moved forward with SWL at DL and plans for Marvel at DCA, there are reasons far beyond anyone's vision preventing a third gate from happening.

Donaldfan1934

And how exactly would opening a third gate not even more significantly cannibalize the already existing two? Just curious... You might want to look up the definition of cannibalization here.
Well for one thing, it would let the two existing parks thrive with additions fit for them. It would be natural growth for the resort and would most likley bring balance to the crowds at DL and DCA. Basically, the crux of our disagreement is the reasons for there not being any known immediate plans for a third gate. You theorize its because of factors beyond Disney's control while I theorize the opposite and here's why. We know that Disney is run by a bunch of pencil pushing MBA's with no creative bones in their bodies. We also know that there has been a trend of controversial attraction placement decisions on both coasts that many feel could be done right if Disney just coughed up the dough. Wouldn't it make sense if it was another one of those situations given who runs the company and the trends they have created? Again, you could be right and I could be wrong or vice versa, but I don't think either of us know what's really the reason until we get further info on what sort of decision making process lead to this. We know a lot, but we don't know all.

Last edited:

dweezil78

We know that Disney is run by a bunch of pencil pushing MBA's with no creative bones in their bodies.

Ridiculous generalization and assumption. Sure, within upper brass there are corporate types like every company of Disney's size, but by and large Disney attracts some of the most creative talented minds in the industry and these people have a lot more pull than you'd think. I know many many people who work in both Burbank and Glendale at corporate and to say these are all mindless pencil pushing people without creativity is a ridiculous insult. The majority of these people are huge, huge fans like all of us and full of amazing ideas -- some get made, some don't, and some morph into other things that eventually get used later on.

Case in point -- look at the recent Haunted Mansion subscription box. A huge labor of love aimed at hardcore fans that not just included some really cool collectibles, but also resulted in the installation of working props and an alternate ride-thru exclusively for those in the know that needed the buy in of parks management and required CMs to be in the loop and trained on how to handle. You think this is the work of a mindless drone pencil pusher? Please.

Donaldfan1934

Ridiculous generalization and assumption. Sure, within upper brass there are corporate types like every company of Disney's size, but by and large Disney attracts some of the most creative talented minds in the industry and these people have a lot more pull than you'd think. I know many many people who work in both Burbank and Glendale at corporate and to say these are all mindless pencil pushing people without creativity is a ridiculous insult. The majority of these people are huge, huge fans like all of us and full of amazing ideas -- some get made, some don't, and some morph into other things that eventually get used later on.

Case in point -- look at the recent Haunted Mansion subscription box. A huge labor of love aimed at hardcore fans that not just included some really cool collectibles, but also resulted in the installation of working props and an alternate ride-thru exclusively for those in the know that needed the buy in of parks management and required CMs to be in the loop and trained on how to handle. You think this is the work of a mindless drone pencil pusher? Please.
I wasn't talking about WDI, but rather Iger and his cronies who we do know pushed a larger Star Wars presence on the resort.

Variable

Agree on the last part, but Black Hole? No, no, no. Terrible, terrible movie. Just 'cause it says "Disney" at the start doesn't give it the right to rear its embarassing head and depress park guests. Although an Ernest Borgnine meet n' greet would be kinda awesome...

Get beyond the movie, or do a remake. Use the very current always in the news very real subject matter. All anti-Disney Corp jokes aside, It's a natural fit for Tomorrowland.

First victim to get swallowed up: Stitch

Phroobar

Agree on the last part, but Black Hole? No, no, no. Terrible, terrible movie. Just 'cause it says "Disney" at the start doesn't give it the right to rear its embarassing head and depress park guests. Although an Ernest Borgnine meet n' greet would be kinda awesome...
Hans might want to have a private conversation with you. ;)

A Black Hole ride would be amazing and a great overlay for Space Mountain. We are on the Cygnus getting in escape pods.We see the black hole, the Cygnus and asteroids are getting sucked into it. We dodge space debris and end up entering the black hole.

Donaldfan1934

I really haven't seen much of this creativity that supposedly exists at WDI in the parks. Not recently, at least.

It can't be denied Iger and his IP-obsessed attitude has taken over the parks.
Do you mean creativity in terms of original concepts, because I feel they have done a great job on a lot of rides over the past 5-6 years despite most being movie based. Don't forget about Mystic Manor in HKDL.

Rich T

Hans might want to have a private conversation with you. ;)

A Black Hole ride would be amazing and a great overlay for Space Mountain. We are on the Cygnus getting in escape pods.We see the black hole, the Cygnus and asteroids are getting sucked into it. We dodge space debris and end up entering the black hole.
...where we see Heaven, Hell, a man's ego separated into two entities...WHATEVER that film's ending is supposed to mean? I like the idea of taking the few good ideas in Black Hole and expanding them into an adventure that leaves all the bad acting, dead atmosphere and leaden pacing behind. :) The question would be...why? Why do *anything* with a misfired attempt at a space retelling of 20,000 Leagues just because it has the name "Disney" on it? Especially when there are so many great stories out there to adapt or create? Might as well build that Island at the Top of the World Ride and an E-TIcket based on Hot Lead and Cold Feet.

The preceding was stated with no intent to offend Hans or any fans of Black Hole; I'm sure they have very good reasons for appreciating it. In the interest of fairness, I'd like to put myself on the dunking booth platform and proudly state that I LOVE Treasure Planet, Return to Oz, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Home on the Range and (non-Disney) The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

shortstop

Right, what may have been something that was just a less likely possibility may now be impossible thanks to the precedent SWL sets.:cry:
Hopefully SWL doesn't set a precedent. I don't even think the park has room for another expansion like this anyways, which is fine, because it wasn't designed for it. I'd rather see them just add singular attractions. Not a huge fan of the mentality of every expansion needing to be in the form of an entire land.

Donaldfan1934

Hopefully SWL doesn't set a precedent. I don't even think the park has room for another expansion like this anyways, which is fine, because it wasn't designed for it. I'd rather see them just add singular attractions. Not a huge fan of the mentality of every expansion needing to be in the form of an entire land.
Agreed. Let's hope for the best because if a precedent is set, than IP lands may take over existing areas of the park.:hungover:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom