Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Variable

A question I'd like to pose to those who are against its placement in DL. Which would you prefer: SWL, or no expansion at all in that corner of the park? In my opinion, it's not the right spot for it, but I'm okay with it based on the premise that it seems unlikely they'd be utilizing that space at all anytime in the near future.

I do think it's short-sighted to dedicate so much land to a single IP in the otherwise charmingly-crowded and cozy DL. And yes, given the choice between expansion in the form of original attractions or in the form of SWL, I'd choose original attractions 10 times out of 10. But if the alternative is a petting zoo, then I'll gladly take SWL.

I'm agnostic on the placement, even its existence.
Had to go someplace with space to be worthwhile.
Petting zoo means Knotts to me and haven't been to either in years.

They could have dusted off The Black Hole and created something very timely with that. Still can somewhere I suppose, perhaps a new theme for Space Mountain?

Anyway, I'd rather SWL than nothing. Stagnation doesn't help anybody.

Donaldfan1934

A question I'd like to pose to those who are against its placement in DL. Which would you prefer: SWL, or no expansion at all in that corner of the park? In my opinion, it's not the right spot for it, but I'm okay with it based on the premise that it seems unlikely they'd be utilizing that space at all anytime in the near future.

I do think it's short-sighted to dedicate so much land to a single IP in the otherwise charmingly-crowded and cozy DL. And yes, given the choice between expansion in the form of original attractions or in the form of SWL, I'd choose original attractions 10 times out of 10. But if the alternative is a petting zoo, then I'll gladly take SWL.
Personally, I'd say petting zoo/BBQ over SWL, but a proper expansion over petting zoo/BBQ. I felt that area would've been a great place to expand the park and the mythology of the ROA. They could've expanded Frontierland and/or Critter Country as well as add a few thematically approiate areas like Discovery Bay. But alas, the potential of these possibilities is forever squandered due to the unbelievable shortsightedness of Disney executives. If only Disney mangagement flourished in the company's creative roots instead of their own selfish desires.

Last edited:

Mike S

I think you know how I feel about SWL behind the ROA even though its not going away entirely. Also, I have to ask if part of this ongoing Tomorrowland botch Season of the Force? I'm assume it is since that is the only new thing going on in Tomorrowland recently. You mention how they crowd and block off certain areas when they do they nighttime entertainment, But SWL will be like that all day and could make the nighttime situation worse since they'll probably have to get everyone out of their for the fireworks like they currently do with Toontown and most of Fantasyland. You're correct that a present-day Disney not doing SWL is hard to envision. However, I can envision a present-day Disney doing it in a third gate if they had better management with more vision. Unlike WDW where its secondary gates are still in need of major fix-ups, the completion of DCA 2.0 makes DLR ripe for a third park. To reiterate what I feel SWL's potential impact will be, I don't think it will single handedly destroy Disneyland, but I think its the biggest step yet towards that very slippery slope. The first nail in the coffin if you will. I thank you for your compliment and am happy you like reading my posts even if you don't agree with every little tidbit.
I think DCA still needs work, namely Hollywood Land. Marvel could be great but it's already partially botched with the ludicrous rumored idea of Guardians of the Tower.

Donaldfan1934

I think DCA still needs work, namely Hollywood Land. Marvel could be great but it's already partially botched with the ludicrous rumored idea of Guardians of the Tower.
I fully agree with you, but its at least a full day park now. There's always room for improvement, but there isn't so much needed for DL and DCA that they have to put off a third park.

SSG

You mention how they crowd and block off certain areas when they do the nighttime entertainment, But SWL will be like that all day and could make the nighttime situation even worse since they'll probably have to get everyone out of there for the fireworks like they currently do with Toontown and most of Fantasyland.

I can practically guarantee that if it comes down to emptying SWL for the fireworks, then there will not be any fireworks.

Mike S

A Star Wars/Marvel/Frozen/Nightmare Before Christmas park that removes all that junk from the original park. Let's start a fundraiser!
I agree on the first but Marvel isn't going to the original park and what's the problem with Frozen going in Fantasyland? As I've stated before I like what I see in HMH and wish we had it here in Florida.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
My reaction to anything Frozen:

image.jpeg

In all seriousness, as much as I don't like Frozen, I'd gladly welcome that to Disneyland before more Star Wars.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I can practically guarantee that if it comes down to emptying SWL for the fireworks, then there will not be any fireworks.
And that would be yet another reason to despise this addition. The potential effects of SWL seem increasingly worse the more we boil it down.

Rich T

And that would be yet another reason to despise this addition. The potential effects of SWL seem increasingly worse the more we boil it down.
Yeah, all those happy families having the time of their lives... Gonna be dreadful.
Sorry, couldn't help it. :) In all seriousness, SW crowd flow is going to be a challenge for park management, no doubt. I'm just in the camp that thinks the plusses will outweigh the minuses. I'm sure Disney's got a great crowd control plan... Like hiring more underpaid, exasperated CMs waving glowsticks...

dweezil78

However, I can envision a present-day Disney doing it in a third gate if they had better management with more vision.

Sorry, but your oversimplification things is pretty astounding. Do you truly believe that the lack of a third gate has to do with management having a lack of 'vision?' You seem to be overlooking the fact that adding a third gate requires a great deal of buy in from the city of Anaheim, complete reworking of city streets and transportation, years of studies to show what kind of impact the gate would have on traffic patterns, the environment, etc, and a billion other considerations that go far beyond anything Disney management would have a say in (and about a billion more that they do that have nothing to do with 'vision.').

Not to mention the fact that Disneyland Resort (known for utilizing every last inch of space) does have more land to work with at both DL and DCA -- and you can bet that the board of directors and shareholders (yes, Disney is a publicly traded company with layers upon layers of decision makers that go far beyond what you classify as 'management') is going to make sure that their current assets are very much maximized before a third gate has anything resembling any real kind of development.

If making a third gate was as easy as you seem to believe it is, you can bet Star Wars and Marvel would have been key components of it. The fact that these properties are finding homes within DL and DCA should show you without a shadow of a doubt that creating a third park just cannot happen anytime in foreseeable future.

Rich T

They could have dusted off The Black Hole and created something very timely with that. Still can somewhere I suppose, perhaps a new theme for Space Mountain?

Anyway, I'd rather SWL than nothing. Stagnation doesn't help anybody.

Agree on the last part, but Black Hole? No, no, no. Terrible, terrible movie. Just 'cause it says "Disney" at the start doesn't give it the right to rear its embarassing head and depress park guests. Although an Ernest Borgnine meet n' greet would be kinda awesome...

Donaldfan1934

Yeah, all those happy families having the time of their lives... Gonna be dreadful.
Sorry, couldn't help it. :) In all seriousness, SW crowd flow is going to be a challenge for park management, no doubt. I'm just in the camp that thinks the plusses will outweigh the minuses. I'm sure Disney's got a great crowd control plan... Like hiring more underpaid, exasperated CMs waving glowsticks...
Lol, the glowstick thing is so true. I can't even imagine how they're going to pull of crowd control successfully though.

Donaldfan1934

Sorry, but your oversimplification things is pretty astounding. Do you truly believe that the lack of a third gate has to do with management having a lack of 'vision?' You seem to be overlooking the fact that adding a third gate requires a great deal of buy in from the city of Anaheim, complete reworking of city streets and transportation, years of studies to show what kind of impact the gate would have on traffic patterns, the environment, etc, and a billion other considerations that go far beyond anything Disney management would have a say in (and about a billion more that they do that have nothing to do with 'vision.').

Not to mention the fact that Disneyland Resort (known for utilizing every last inch of space) does have more land to work with at both DL and DCA -- and you can bet that the board of directors and shareholders (yes, Disney is a publicly traded company with layers upon layers of decision makers that go far beyond what you classify as 'management') is going to make sure that their current assets are very much maximized before a third gate has anything resembling any real kind of development.

If making a third gate was as easy as you seem to believe it is, you can bet Star Wars and Marvel would have been key components of it. The fact that these properties are finding homes within DL and DCA should show you without a shadow of a doubt that creating a third park just cannot happen anytime in foreseeable future.
I obviously know that it would be a lot of work, but there was a lot of work involved in turning DL into DLR. Disney does own a lot of land in the surrounding area. If you want to refresh your memory, it is discussed in this thread from a couple years back in which YOU say that "the timing is right" for a third park and give valid reasons for it. Your opinions may have changed, but don't act like you're above considering it a possibility. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/additional-land-owned-by-disney-in-anaheim.884499/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom